• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll take door number three with the song that makes me think of dating my Hispanic friend.

Looking back much of what I thought was "cool" really is and was not. Funny how the process of becoming older works.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
"Ride"'s got some awesome brass in there, but "Tuna" is frickin' string instrument-filled, funky disco. "Tuna" wins.

Both suck, though. :laugh:

I'll take door number three with the song that makes me think of dating my Hispanic friend.

Looking back much of what I thought was "cool" really is and was not. Funny how the process of becoming older works.
Like the mellow guitar and bongos in that song. Very smooth.

When I was in fourth grade or so, I was obsessed with cartoons. Then I got a GameCube and I was rolled into video games. Then November last year I saw Lion King and got re-rolled into animation whilst retaining my like for video games. Funny how becoming older works. :p

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ever stop to think that maybe Sakurai is like a lot of people and happens to enjoy playing games? I know it seems crazy tothink that people working in the video game industry are gamers, but just think about it a second.

Oh, and this discussion BETTER NOT lead into some twisted thinking that Sakurai is somehow going to add marines, or space marines, into the next Smash Brothers.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is something interesting I have not thought about until now. How do you guys think Sakurai's Twitter account will play into things with Super Smash Bros? Here me out for a second. Sakurai has held little blogs with the development of every title where people ask him questions and he responds to them. We know live in a society where Twitter and social mediums make those type of things much simpler. Since Sakurai is very active on Twitter I wonder will it lead to even more openness on Sakurai's part? He has been very open with people thus far, so I see no reason for him to stop. I feel sorry for him, he is going to have a flood of followers come the next couple of months.

I may not be explaining this well but I hope everyone gets what I am saying?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope May wears a BRA in the next Smash bros...

Well how has Capcom used their twitter? How has other Nintendo employees used theirs? I think it's going to end up being a good thing. He'll probably leak sneaky pictures. WELL HE COULD, I guess. I suppose he will be able to address any random rumors as well. I mean, he's already been doing that. I think it will play SOME SORT of role in releasing info to the fans. god knows we're going to ALL be fludding his account.

SSB4 discussion GROUPERS Chu has a new WIP roster up, he wants to REALLY work at this one. You should go back and check it out cats~

Thino

Smash Master
Capcom use their twitter to troll in general I suppose its gonna be about the same with Sakurai

but I really can't wait, in this era of social networking different from 2007, how MANY followers he will get and how many tweets a day, or on a character reveal

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
ok guys, we still havnt focused on what's REALLY important in SSB4.

Coin Launcher or gumball slot machine thing?

D

Deleted member

Here is something interesting I have not thought about until now. How do you guys think Sakurai's Twitter account will play into things with Super Smash Bros? Here me out for a second. Sakurai has held little blogs with the development of every title where people ask him questions and he responds to them. We know live in a society where Twitter and social mediums make those type of things much simpler. Since Sakurai is very active on Twitter I wonder will it lead to even more openness on Sakurai's part? He has been very open with people thus far, so I see no reason for him to stop. I feel sorry for him, he is going to have a flood of followers come the next couple of months.

I think he may answers questions to clarify a content that has already been revealed and answer questions that doesn't spoil the game, but for the most part, not beyond that beside what he may reveal about his feelings about SSB4 while developing it. Perhaps a character/stage request could be considered if there is MASSIVE demand for it (and I mean enough for him to recognize it and consider it), but the hype for characters/stages this game will not be as much as in Brawl, so this is unlikely at best.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace

"Will Sakurai use Twitter as the platform for fan suggestions?"

Can't imagine him being even more open, he's already pretty open to anyone fluent in Japanese. And I think he'd prefer to keep doing Smash fan stuff on a Nintendo site as usual. Twitter's limited in message length and format, likely to get spammed with more indistinguishable crap, and less accessible to children.

@WarioWare talk: Mona's the one, oh yes.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why Mona over Ashley Toise? I've been given a few reasons, but nothing that really has SHOWN ME THE LIGHT. Is it like picking Junior over Bowser? Is there a major gap in level of importance/prominence?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
"Will Sakurai use Twitter as the platform for fan suggestions?"

Can't imagine him being even more open, he's already pretty open to anyone fluent in Japanese. And I think he'd prefer to keep doing Smash fan stuff on a Nintendo site as usual. Twitter's limited in message length and format, likely to get spammed with more indistinguishable crap, and less accessible to children.

@WarioWare talk: Mona's the one, oh yes.
Sure, I understand what you are saying about the more specific game related announcements. In my mind I was thinking of things more along the lines of the people asking if Super Smash Bros could be in the next Olympics. Would Twitter really be less accessible to children? I mean the youngen's these days have quite a way with their fancy technologies and all those other electronic gizmos.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Jimmy Olsen: You'll make Webelos one day.

@Shorts: The difference between Mona and Ashley is like the difference between a starter Pokemon and one of those randoms people just love. Like Charizard and Jigglypuff, if you will.

In terms of taste? I think Mona's cooler since she changes her theme every game like K. Rool. Ashley's like one of those SNL catchphrase skits that people seem to love for some reason.

Also Mona has an elephant.

edit @Star: I could see him making a separate Twitter for that, sure. And by kids, I mean elementary school age kids. Unless I'm really out of touch with the youth of today, they don't tend to spend as much time on SNS.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, I get it now I guess. I still like Ashley though. Although I DO like Mona more than I originally did after Java and you told me how it is. I SUPPOSE, I would just be happy with Syrup, Mona, or Ashley getting in. I just LIKE the Wario girls. Like Chu said, they're interesting. All the Wario characters are interesting, even if they are ugly as hell.

Also, someone asked a really random question on GF. It was if you had to add ten Matio characters, who would they be? And, ALMOST NO ONE had Junior AND Toad. I was disgusted at their choices as well. I sounded like the most sane one there.

Mario
Doc (Semi Clone)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Junior
Geno (Past here....I don't like..)
Fawful (Yuck)
Paper Mario (Think commander type character who uses his partners)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Can I ask what the point of Doc being a character is? He is the Mario character exactly. They changed his fireball to a pill and gave him a cloak. It's not like Paper Mario, who has a completely different body type and the possibility of a unique moveset. Doc as an alt costume seems much better than Doc as a character.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder how Shorts feels about Penny Crygor.

SHE'S THE GRANDDAUGHTER OF A MAD SCIENTIST. COULD ATTACK WITH MAD SCIENTIST STUFF.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
@Shortie

You were there too? Ugh, Gamefaqs and their reasonings. I actually saw several who put down Rosalina before or instead of Toad and Bowser Jr..
Waluigi and Daisy were frequent sights as well. :/

So far, it seems like those guys are either in Paper Mario mode or just trying to ignore the actual candidates who do make sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can I ask what the point of Doc being a character is? He is the Mario character exactly. They changed his fireball to a pill and gave him a cloak. It's not like Paper Mario, who has a completely different body type and the possibility of a unique moveset. Doc as an alt costume seems much better than Doc as a character.
He was in Melee already, so like any other playable character, he naturally got a fanclub.

I agree that he's pretty much just regular Mario with a suit. Likewise, Paper Mario would definitely be different, and I'd be willing to give up a Mario slot for him myself. He has a hammer, and that's just for starters! He also cannot punch in his games, so that makes his attacks a bit different. Ice Hammers, Fire Hammers, Hammer Throws, Stomps, Butt Stomp, and he could use moves related to his partners. Like his Down Smash could be kicking a Koopa Troopa partner. He could use Parakarry for his Up B. Tons of choices!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Oasis, she looks pretty cool I guess. I'unno who she is! She's WarioWare I'm assuming?

@GF all they do is love PM and Waluigi. Disgusting.

@Doc, reasoning? He already has a Smash fanbase, he could rep the puzle series, and I had to add ten characters.

I was a Doc user, and I would be happy to see him become a costume~ (Or even a late add clone of some sort)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Paper Mario should have a gimmick where if you time some of his attacks right, he'll do a follow-up attack. The window for doing this decreases with each successive hit. Actually, maybe I'm thinking of M&L. It's been SO LONG. (Unless they both had that sort of mechanic)

@Shorts: YEP. She's WarioWare. Just making sure you had all the Wario Women in your knowledge arsenal. :awesome: Captain Syrup, Mona, Kat & Ana, Ashley, and Penny I think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They both had the mechanic. Although there were less moves in Paper Mario.

I'm thinking Paper Mario could also take notes from the other Mario RPG's, like with the Firehand.(although Mario uses that as his Forward Smash anyway)

Alternatively, like Luigi has the Thunder Handball attack, Paper Mario could do something like that. I think he could use some of the items amongst his moves(much like in the sense of how Mr. Game & Watch does it)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Toise's Super Money Pick:Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
and Yoshi!

How's that for conservative?

----------------------

Mario in general: A lot of people seem to think this series really should have more characters on the grounds that it's Nintendo's... nay, gaming's biggest series. Thing is, Sakurai specifically DOESN'T want to arbitrarily load the roster with tons of Mario just because it's a well-known series. Too many hidden gems out there.

Oh yeah, here's why we won't see any new Mario characters: Sakurai had every reason add any pretty much any Mario character he felt like in both Melee and Brawl. Remember that this is Mario, the series where even the most garbage spinoff characters are more well-known to the masses than Samus Aran. Well, he went with the four (five!) listed above, plus Dr. Mario on something of a whim. Unless he's pulling a Kirby-in-Melee (really doubtful), he's content with this series.

*** Toad & Bowser Jr. ***
These are the only two Mario characters I've got in the "I might be wrong" category. I could talk for a while about how Sakurai might just think of Toad as a non-action supporting character or how Bowser Jr. isn't a very appealing character, but I'm too lazy.

Dr. Toise's Diagnosis: the bar for entry as a Mario character is extremely high. Sakurai seems to want only the absolute core characters, and we have those. Toad and Jr. can't even cut it. That's pretty damn exclusive.

**** Everything Else ****

Waluigi: Like Bowser Jr., only he never appears in main Mario games. Despite years of never amounting to anything, some people think he stands out because of... I don't know, being an AT, I guess. Or general ignorance of Wario's games, take your pick.

Paper Mario: Like Dr. Mario, only... well, no, it's just Dr. Mario #2. People who support Paper Mario tend to be pretty irrational about this guy, especially since their first response is inevitably "but he wouldn't be a clone!" Regardless of whether anyone gives a crap about clones/originals. Not that we can't have Paper Mario content in general, but if Sakurai really wanted another Mario, he'd go with...

Dr. Mario: I'm not putting much stock into Sakurai having seriously considered him for Brawl, but I think he'd make a good alt costume for Mario.

Geno: a-hyuk

Kamek: I like him, and if there were to be a Yoshi character, it'd be this guy. I just don't see Sakurai giving a crap, especially since no one else does.

The rest: Do you care? I know I don't.
Read. Absorb.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I thought happeb was purposeful baby talk or something due to the first line.

I habeeb Ridley will be in Sm4sh.

(A friend had to tell me how to say believe in babytalk. It is a language I would not know, since babies are weak and I am very strongest oh yes.)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
At birth Morrigan's POWER was pulled into three pieces because she was TOO STRONG.

Oh, as a baby. Which was my point. You SHOULD HAB BEEN DOOD AT TAWKING BABY.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I stopped reading that 10 Mario character GameFaqs thread when a guy suggested Hotel Mario Mario...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ever stop to think that maybe Sakurai is like a lot of people and happens to enjoy playing games? I know it seems crazy tothink that people working in the video game industry are gamers, but just think about it a second.

Oh, and this discussion BETTER NOT lead into some twisted thinking that Sakurai is somehow going to add marines, or space marines, into the next Smash Brothers.
Advance Wars rep, anyone? :awesome:

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind a character called Commanding Officer and it would be like Pokemon Trainer. Andy (or Will from the most recent DS game) would be in the background in his tank, issuing commands to a team of infantry units, who in turn fight like a team of Ice Climbers.

I do think Advance Wars deserves a character. It's been one of Nintendo's enduring franchises since the NES era and it has like over 10 games on many consoles and handhelds.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would prefer AW character to be an on-field commander, like Olimar. Someone you aim to attack, who uses minions to attack and defend. The Pokemon trainer idea just sounds meh.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think an Advanced Wars character would fall under Star's classification of "oddball choice."

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

@Shorts: But I already have all of the time in the world.

D

Deleted member

The ten Mario reps I would pick are:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
Geno (past Geno, I don't like any of the choices)
Fawful (yawn)
Dr. Mario (would much prefer alt costume)

@Shortiecanbrawl: Actually, it seems as the community is pretty divided among the Mario rep. None of the Mario reps did well at Create the SSB4 roster (the best was a 53.33% for Paper Mario and the worst was 29% for Waluigi) and no other Mario rep will do better that is not Bowser.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Okay, I get it now I guess. I still like Ashley though. Although I DO like Mona more than I originally did after Java and you told me how it is. I SUPPOSE, I would just be happy with Syrup, Mona, or Ashley getting in. I just LIKE the Wario girls. Like Chu said, they're interesting. All the Wario characters are interesting, even if they are ugly as hell.

Also, someone asked a really random question on GF. It was if you had to add ten Matio characters, who would they be? And, ALMOST NO ONE had Junior AND Toad. I was disgusted at their choices as well. I sounded like the most sane one there.

Mario
Doc (Semi Clone)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Junior
Geno (Past here....I don't like..)
Fawful (Yuck)
Paper Mario (Think commander type character who uses his partners)
Ten Mario characters huh?

Mario
Paper Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi
Daisy
Birdo

Not necessarily characters I want, but I think they do the best of incorporating most of the main line Mario crew.

I think an Advanced Wars character would fall under Star's classification of "oddball choice."

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Nah, not really that much of an oddball selection. Oddball would be a Warioware character or Donkey Kong Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom