• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Sakurai is playing MW3, how ****ed is the next Smash Bros?
Not. Sakurai has said before that he doesn't make the games he likes to play. Heck, his entire career is making easy, accessible games when he's really good.

Ever stop to think that maybe Sakurai is like a lot of people and happens to enjoy playing games? I know it seems crazy tothink that people working in the video game industry are gamers, but just think about it a second.

Oh, and this discussion BETTER NOT lead into some twisted thinking that Sakurai is somehow going to add marines, or space marines, into the next Smash Brothers.
Sakurai enjoys playing games. Oh no. He is a spirit from the gods only here to make Smash Bros.

Here is something interesting I have not thought about until now. How do you guys think Sakurai's Twitter account will play into things with Super Smash Bros? Here me out for a second. Sakurai has held little blogs with the development of every title where people ask him questions and he responds to them. We know live in a society where Twitter and social mediums make those type of things much simpler. Since Sakurai is very active on Twitter I wonder will it lead to even more openness on Sakurai's part? He has been very open with people thus far, so I see no reason for him to stop. I feel sorry for him, he is going to have a flood of followers come the next couple of months.

I may not be explaining this well but I hope everyone gets what I am saying?
I think it will probably be jusst like the DOJO. Not sure how much he'll use his Twitter. He didn't really post much Kid Icarus. But, then again, he did post some.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wonder how Shorts feels about Penny Crygor.

SHE'S THE GRANDDAUGHTER OF A MAD SCIENTIST. COULD ATTACK WITH MAD SCIENTIST STUFF.
Frankly, I don't really see the Wario series getting any more playable reps. Assist Trophy perhaps, but not much else beyond that.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For what it's worth it sounds like Megaman is possibly going to be in Street Fighter X Tekken, alongside Pacman. He is not so dead after all if this is true.

Frankly, I don't really see the Wario series getting any more playable reps. Assist Trophy perhaps, but not much else beyond that.
Which is precisely why someone from that series would make for a great shock character. Very few would be expecting it.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I don't think Mega Man is even dead. Heard that Rockman Online was still in development and there's the Archie Comic series going.

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kind of the charm of Smash. How much did you guys expect Ice Climbers or even ROB.

Oh, and I'm sure you guys will eat this up
Exactly. Sakurai does not exactly go by the conventional norm when selecting his choices. There is always that level of consciousnesses he takes with what the fans want, but he is not above adding characters that "shouldn't" be in.

Hopefully that link will shut everyone up about how crappy of a developer Sakurai is. The man is as freaking hardcore as they come. He doesn't have to make a Street Fighter clone to know how to develop a good, and successful, fighting game. Also, in your link I noticed SquareEnix, particularly Enix, surprised him with a copy of Slime Mori Mori 3 (Rocket Slime 2). He thanked them for the gift. Just pointing it out. ;)

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
For what it's worth it sounds like Megaman is possibly going to be in Street Fighter X Tekken, alongside Pacman. He is not so dead after all if this is true.
What?! I can understand MM, but Pacman? Please explain.

@Starphoenix: I don't think Mega Man is even dead. Heard that Rockman Online was still in development and there's the Archie Comic series going.

That and so much more, heck Capcom's preparing for the 25th anniversary next year and they've stated they have big plans for him and SF.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was REALLY hopiing Poison got a Soul Calibur rival~ Oh well, Megs and Pac-Man are fine too.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What?! I can understand MM, but Pacman? Please explain.
Well a very well known and credible leaker is hinting that Pacman and Megaman will be playable in SFxT. It actually makes sense considering both characters are considered the mascots of each respective company. In an early trailer for SFxT there was a little clip of an 8-bit Megaman and Pacman fighting, but no one took it to mean much. Perhaps maybe it meant something all along? I don't know. All I do know is Ono is doing a much better job with his crossover game than I expected. I'm just waiting to see if a Wii U adaptation is released and if we see an exclusive Nintendo character. Might even be the catalyst beginning Megaman's trek into Super Smash Bros.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star: Interesting. I'm just surprised this rumor hasn't hit some of the major Capcom fighting sites yet, including the MM ones.

Even more so I'd be suprised to see how Pacman would fight, as it could possbly translate over to Smash.

As for the 8 bit clip, it sounds like Capcom's trying to pull a ROB on us if true. lol

Still a Wii U port with Falcon would be awesome. Here's hoping. :cool:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star: Interesting. I'm just surprised this rumor hasn't hit some of the major Capcom fighting sites yet, including the MM ones.

Even more so I'd be suprised to see how Pacman would fight, as it could possbly translate over to Smash.

As for the 8 bit clip, it sounds like Capcom's trying to pull a ROB on us if true. lol

Still a Wii U port with Falcon would be awesome. Here's hoping. :cool:
This leaker is predominantly only known to NeoGAF, Shoryuken, and Gamefaqs. He typically leaks fighting game info exclusively. So I wouldn't expect it to spread beyond those sites.

Surprisingly a lot of people are asking for Captain Falcon. Huh, so I am not the only one?

Now that it's mascots... the ONLY fitting Nintendo character is Mario... I mean HELLO!?! Mario vs. Megaman vs. Pac-Man!?! BEYOND AWESOME. Falcon fits with the SF cast though.
Yes, it would likely be Mario. Ono has even stated before he would love to do a Street Fighter X Nintendo. So I think getting him to add Mario as an exclusive for a Nintendo console is not so farfetched. After all, how else do you want to sell an exclusive version for a new console?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Now that it's mascots... the ONLY fitting Nintendo character is Mario... I mean HELLO!?! Mario vs. Megaman vs. Pac-Man!?! BEYOND AWESOME. Falcon fits with the SF cast though.

D

Deleted member

It seems as Sakurai is a big Sony fan (points for him). Definitely have respect for him.

Totally did not see Mega Man or Pac-man coming. Would be a huge surprise for me. And Mario or Captain Falcon being exclusive would be great.

Oh and for those wondering where Pieman is, he's on that board. Perhaps I can poke him to return? :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not. Sakurai has said before that he doesn't make the games he likes to play. Heck, his entire career is making easy, accessible games when he's really good.
I always found that kind of strange. While it makes sense from an economic view, but that's close to doing something you don't like. Anyway, I've always wanted to see what he would make as a game he wants to play.

I think it will probably be jusst like the DOJO. Not sure how much he'll use his Twitter. He didn't really post much Kid Icarus. But, then again, he did post some.
Well, there's a couple of factors behind why he chose not to do that for Kid Icarus.
1. Kid Icarus could never muster the hype the Smash Bros. can. In fact, very few games can, if there are any.
2. Kid Icarus' main focus is its single player campaign. Smash Bros.' main focus is the multiplayer.
3. There's all kind of mechanics, characters, items, stages, music, etc. to present in Smash. Do that with Kid Icarus and you might as well spoil the game. Smash and other multiplayer heavy games don't have that concern.

Something tells me, though, that Sakurai may do something like Ono and put up deliberately covered up pictures. Ono had a picture tease of a R. Mika costume that was off camera and covered by Blanka Doll as usual, but we found out yesterday that said costume was actually Kuma's alternate costume (still raises the question about a teaser from last month) on the official website.

Compare this:
http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/nov/13/character-wearing-r-mikas-clothes/

To what ended up on the official website for the mainstream to see:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfxtk_en/system_customize.html

I wouldn't mind if Sakurai did this kind of thing. The thing I like what Ono has been doing is that it causes discussion and kills senseless speculation. If Sakurai were to do something like this, he wouldn't have to update every weekday of development.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Y'know, Nintendo had lent one of their characters to Namco before in a fighting game. Maybe LINK will show up in a WiiU SFxT. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

What do people think of the Angry Bird in Smash? I don't want him in, but I'm curious to see if anyone else does.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I always found that kind of strange. While it makes sense from an economic view, but that's close to doing something you don't like. Anyway, I've always wanted to see what he would make as a game he wants to play.
It makes perfect sense.

Sakurai's job is to make video games. And as a game maker, he has to make them sell. Just like a shoe maker has to sell shoes or he goes home hungry.

I'm confused that you found it strange. This is reality. People work to make money, and it's not always something they like doing. At the very least, he likes video games, so he is the right field. Some people will work at jobs they hate in fields they don't like. Sakurai knows his job is to make things people will buy. He made Kirby because he noticed games were tough. He made Smash Brothers because he thought fighting games were too hard. He's stayed employed because he looks at what people want, which isn't always what he wants. As a free lancer, this will become even more true.

This is an aside, but I think the reason you hate sales talk is because you don't want to play in reality. Money is what drives videogames. The reason we still have them is because they generate enough cash to keep companies afloat. I could be wrong, but that is what I got from your comment.

I wouldn't mind if Sakurai did this kind of thing. The thing I like what Ono has been doing is that it causes discussion and kills senseless speculation. If Sakurai were to do something like this, he wouldn't have to update every weekday of development.
First, I'm not sure what is with your vendetta against speculation. For Pete's sake, your in a thread who's only purpose is speculation.

And yet, you claim Ono kills speculation. He posted a picture that is not clearly visible. There is no way to tell what it really is and he is using the Blanka figure to cover it up.What is he doing to trying to get people to speculate. Heck, people thought it was something it wasn't. At least Sakurai was upfront with what he posted.

D

Deleted member

Anything interesting happen while I was gone? Sounds like something did.
There's rumors going around that Mega Man and Pac-Man will appear in Street Fighter Vs. Tekken and Sakurai made some comments on Sony's situation (seems to be a big Sony fan).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It makes perfect sense.

Sakurai's job is to make video games. And as a game maker, he has to make them sell. Just like a shoe maker has to sell shoes or he goes home hungry.

I'm confused that you found it strange. This is reality. People work to make money, and it's not always something they like doing. At the very least, he likes video games, so he is the right field. Some people will work at jobs they hate in fields they don't like. Sakurai knows his job is to make things people will buy. He made Kirby because he noticed games were tough. He made Smash Brothers because he thought fighting games were too hard. He's stayed employed because he looks at what people want, which isn't always what he wants. As a free lancer, this will become even more true.

This is an aside, but I think the reason you hate sales talk is because you don't want to play in reality. Money is what drives videogames. The reason we still have them is because they generate enough cash to keep companies afloat. I could be wrong, but that is what I got from your comment.
You're way off as to why I find it strange. Videogames, to me, are an art form in the same way music and films are. If Sakurai willingly chooses to make games that are easier, that's fine by me as that's the same thing as choosing to make edutainment videos or making shows not for your specific age group. Maybe I'm just irked more by how he implicitly calls the games he makes to be games he won't play himself as trash. Instead of saying that, he should've just omitted that part of the sentence.

And the reason I hate sales talk is because you ALWAYS use that as a sign of quality. Sure, Harry Potter may be one of the best selling book series, but it is almost universally agreed to be one of the best book series in terms of quality. Compare this to Twilight where its often considered to be just crap, but is still a best seller. For videogames, I haven't heard a lot of good things about the high selling Just Dance games, but there was plenty of praise for Okami which didn't sell a lot.

First, I'm not sure what is with your vendetta against speculation. For Pete's sake, your in a thread who's only purpose is speculation.

And yet, you claim Ono kills speculation. He posted a picture that is not clearly visible. There is no way to tell what it really is and he is using the Blanka figure to cover it up.What is he doing to trying to get people to speculate. Heck, people thought it was something it wasn't. At least Sakurai was upfront with what he posted.
I'm fine with the speculation as it is because we have little to nothing to go off of. Not only that, but speculation is kept in a single thread on this forum save for blog posts by thread regulars. Speculation gets outrageous when there are a lot of people doing the speculation. Next thing you know, people start to have insane wishes about the game.

Again, when I said kill speculation, I meant mindless speculation. Take the teasers from last month, it became clear that some of the character hints were red herrings. Over at SRK, the topic of discussion, save for the Gems, was about what the picture was hinting at. Now the topic is about if the newly revealed costumes are indicators of who's gonna be playable or not.

I think what I want, overall, is just better handling of the speculation. SRK broke up discussion into four topics: general discussion, rumors, speculation, and theories, gem system discussion, and the wishlisting thread and there is no "lobbying" for unconfirmed characters. Smashboards and just about every other forum let speculation go loose.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's... not what he said whatsoever.

I don't like FFVII, but I don't think it's trash. I actually actively hate the game, but I do think people should give it a chance. I'm even trying to play it myself. Seriously, don't put words in his mouth, Kuma.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Bros. 4's Top Roster Candidates v2

Super Smash Bros. 4's Top Roster Candidates v2

Super Smash Bros. 4 has been announced and the one thing that pops into almost everyone's head is which character they want to see in SSB4. Another thing that the fans are curious about is who are the most popular roster candidates. This should give a good insight on what the fans want to see and who are the most popular candidates.

In order to participate, post your votes via thread post and I shall go through and tally the numbers. Each day, you are allowed to vote for up to five candidates (only one vote per candidate) until the voting has ended (you are free to vote for a different candidate the next day). Then whoever comes out on the Top 20 will be in a showdown of who is the most wanted in which the Top Five will be declared the "Most Wanted Character" for SSB4. When this come, you only get to pick one candidate.

Rules:
1. Follow the rules of the site. I cannot stress this enough.
2. Respect the choices that others have made. You may not like a character's choices, but you do not have the right to flame what the person choose. They made the choice and it stays.
3. You are free to suggest additions to the roster, but if they have not appeared on a Nintendo console or did not appear in a video game, I will not add them to the list. Note that I will not restart the day just because I add a character.
4. Don't vote a character because you expect them or to troll the roster. Likelihood =/= what you want. Understand that this is purely for what you want to see, not what you think is likely to happen. And if you think trolling the poll is a good idea, not only will your votes be taken away, I will also report you for trolling.
5. Since this place is on GameFAQs, Smashboards, and Youtube, I hold you all to a honor system in which you only vote in one of these places per day to make sure the results are accurate.

Failing to comply with the rules will result in losing your votes and the ability to participate in this poll.

[COLLAPSE="FAQs"]How long will this round last?
This will be from December 1st to December 31th, 2011.

What about for the Top 20?
That will be from January 1st, 2012 to January 31th, 2012.

Will you provide updates as the thread goes on?
Yes and they will be daily.

Where are you hosting this event?
In here, GameFAQs, and Youtube.

[Collapse="Character pool to pick from"]Super Mario Bros.
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Fawful
Birdo

Donkey Kong:
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong
Cranky Kong

Yoshi:
Kamek
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi
Shy Guy

Wario:
Captain Syrup
Ashley
Mona
Jimmy T
9-Volt
Kat & Ana

The Legend of Zelda:
Young Link
Majora's Mask Young Link
Ghirahim
Tingle
Toon Zelda & Toon Sheik/Tetra
Vaati
Midna
Zant
Skull Kid
Wolf Link & Midna

Metroid:
Ridley
Dark Samus
Anthony Higgs

Kirby:
Bandanna Dee
Knuckle Joe
Dark Matter
Rick
Prince Fluff
Nightmare
Magolor

Star Fox:
Krystal
Leon
Slippy

Pokemon:
Zoroark
Victini
Genesect
Meloetta
Keldeo
Mewtwo
Meowth
Pichu
Heracross
Deoxys
Plusle & Minun
Gardevior
Darkrai
Pokemon Ranger
2nd gen Pokemon Trainer
3rd gen Pokemon Trainer
4th gen Pokemon Trainer
5th gen Pokemon Trainer

F-zero:
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

Mother:
Masked Man/Claus
Poo
Paula
Jeff
Ninten

Fire Emblem:
Roy
Krom
Lyn
Hector
Elliwood
Ephiram
Michaiah
Soren
Black Knight
Sigurd
Caeda
Leaf
Liz
My Unit

Kid Icarus:
Palutena
Medusa
Magnus

Pikmin:
Louie

New Series:
Little Mac
Isaac
Matthew
Saki Amamiya
Isa Jo
Starfy
Ray
Shulk
Kanan
Elza
Captain Rainbow
Tom Nook
Animal Crosser
K. K. Slider
Mii
Kalas
Alexandria Rovias
Chibi-Robo
Andy
Dillon
Jill Dozer

Retro:
Lip
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Sheriff
Diskun
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Sukapon
Muddy Mole

Third-Party:
Mega Man
Proto Man
Bass
Zero
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Zack & Wiki
Phoenix Wright
Leon Kennedy
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Viewtiful Joe
Geno
Mallow
Neku Sakuraba
Lloyd Irving
Cless Alvien
Marina Liteyears
Crono
Magus
Duke Nukem
Slime
Sora
Cloud
Chocobo
Moogle
Professor Layton
Ryu Haybausa
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Dr. Eggman
Grey Fox
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Goemon
Rayman
Travis Touchdown
Pac-Man
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Earthworm Jim
Brian
Nightmare
Ivy Valentine
Banjo-Kazooie
Fulgore[/collapse][/COLLAPSE]Any suggestions I need to make? I want to use this format so that I'll be ready and get questions answered in time to get this started?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It seems the first victim of the KumaChu war was none other than Sakurai himself.

Does this mean SSB4 is delayed again?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@Super Smash Bros. Fan: Is there a certain place to vote? Or do we just vote here?

D

Deleted member

@Super Smash Bros. Fan: Is there a certain place to vote? Or do we just vote here?

For Smashboards, I plan to make a thread on User Blog about it (I'm wondering whenever or not I should contact ones that used to be on the previous version). Youtube it will be the video where I link to the Smashboards thread and GameFAQs will take place in the thread where I do voting for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toon Link and Brian.(unless Toon Link is counted as a veteran) Otherwise, Brian. Also, Ralph from the Oracle games.(he actually was an important character, and your rival)

Likewise, Max from Shining Force as well.(or Bowie) That series needs more love. You also forgot Nightmare and Ivy Valentine.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
SSBF: You forgot Shy Guy(who, may I remind you, I greatly support as a second Yoshi rep).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom