• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Ripping some new Custom Robo battle music that hasn't made it's way onto Youtube yet. I'll share it with all of you. :)
Please do, I'd love it.

---

I'm cool with discussing Geno. I find the only way he gets discussed if when he comes up in rosters.

One problem I have with him, is why Geno and not Mallow? Arent' they just as important?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey smashboards.
I've got a wonderful idea while browsing this topic ;
since the E3, I'm day-checking IGN, gameFAQ & smash boards, for real news.

Every day, I'm only seeing topics like "Geno for SSB4 ! What is your favourite char ? Is it going to be like Brawl or Melee ? Sakurai flames..."
and since there is 100 topics like that each day, I can't really find really informations. As I am in smashboards, I'll talk about this board : it is painful to go through 100 pages of "geno-love" "anti-toad", et caetera....

So, wouldn't be useful to make a REAL informative topic, with main information on the 1st page for instance ?

Thanks...
A. look up at my post. . .

B. There isn't a lot of news out right now, I would know because I definitely look out for it.

C. If you don't like a topic, be a big boy and try and change it, don't come troll.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Any thoughts on this Nintendo news?
Mostly great news, except that I would be prepared to save up $500 for the console + SSB4 in the case it gets really expensive, which is why I am trying to save up as much as I can. Also, no DVD support sucks. At least it's further confirmation that we're getting better third-party support.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
A. look up at my post. . .

B. There isn't a lot of news out right now, I would know because I definitely look out for it.

C. If you don't like a topic, be a big boy and try and change it, don't come troll.
A. Yeah, so what ? Is it about SSB.4 ? I'm afraid I disapprove... And see my friend, in 10pages, no one that would connect would look at YOUR post.

B. I also look for news, and like I said, it is boring that there isn't any informative topic PLUS the fact that we cannot make one which is informative because it is forbidden to create topics on SSB.4

C. I'm actually trying to change it but you're not helping me, you see ? This isn't a troll, I was really meaning that any fan of SSB would want a really informative topic OR 1st page at least.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mostly great news, except that I would be prepared to save up $500 for the console + SSB4 in the case it gets really expensive, which is why I am trying to save up as much as I can. Also, no DVD support sucks. At least it's further confirmation that we're getting better third-party support.
Like the video said, the whole lack of movies thing isn't a big deal IMO. It's Nintendo, they aren't really and have never been movie savvy. But I'm sure the Wii U will have Netflix, and I've heard the 3DS is going to as well. Weird right? Anyhoo, I don't think SSB4 will be ready by the time the Wii U actually releases. I'm expecting it to come out 2013. Hopefully that is enough time for a really good game. Though Melee does prove that you don't need a massive block of time to make something awesome.

@Meljinny

Look around, it's been a freakin' week since the game has been announced. It isn't being worked on, and that type of small tidbits of news is all we have coming from Nintendo period. You want us to talk about news, when there isn't any. Plus, no one can control this thread, it can get too chaotic for any sort of intellegent discussion. Sorry, but as of now all topics aren't backed up with news because we don't have any.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Like the video said, the whole lack of movies thing isn't a big deal IMO. It's Nintendo, they aren't really and have never been movie savvy. But I'm sure the Wii U will have Netflix, and I've heard the 3DS is going to as well. Weird right? Anyhoo, I don't think SSB4 will be ready by the time the Wii U actually releases. I'm expecting it to come out 2013. Hopefully that is enough time for a really good game. Though Melee does prove that you don't need a massive block of time to make something awesome.
Personally, I don't see a reason to not include DVD on consoles now. Yes I have a PS3 for it, but really, it should be a given for those who can't use Netflix or online. It was a main reason why people bought PS2 and for a time, Blu-Ray was a reason why peopple bought PS3. At least we're getting 25 GB, that leaves room for a lot of stuff.

As for release date, I hope it's not on launch. This isn't the type of game that should be rushed at all, it needs to be polished to perfection. I think we'll see it in late 2013-late 2014, that's when the game can be perfected to Sakurai's image.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
@Meljinny (awesome nick name \o/)

Look around, it's been a freakin' week since the game has been announced. It isn't being worked on, and that type of small tidbits of news is all we have coming from Nintendo period. You want us to talk about news, when there isn't any. Plus, no one can control this thread, it can get too chaotic for any sort of intellegent discussion. Sorry, but as of now all topics aren't backed up with news because we don't have any.
I know that this kind of news are the only things we can have from Nintendo, but imagine, if someday there is an important new thing... How would we know it without informative topics ? I mean, it's chaotic and I remember the Iwata ask : 1 post about it, 1 hundred about useless things such as, again, megaman vs ridley for instance... It gets boring.

By the way, don't think that I'm searching for huge news, I don't even imaginate it, but it'll be more comfy to just come, see an informative topic, see that there isn't any news today, then just go on a talkative topic like this one...

Sorry if you thought I was agressive, I just make an idea to make smashboards checking easier.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Meljin, how about we discuss what went RIGHT with Brawl that should be expanded on in the next game?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Sure. I liked the achievements system. I think it could be refined and expanded, with more unique challenges and some characters could even be unlocked through achievement chains.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hang on guys, have one more song to finish and them I'll begin uploading them to Youtube.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Rosalina's been important (but not playable) in two games; it's obvious she could have a fairly unique moveset.

Just because you like a character doesn't mean they deserve a spot on the roster.

D

Deleted member

Meljin, how about we discuss what went RIGHT with Brawl that should be expanded on in the next game?
I like the idea of Final Smash and it was executed very strongly. I think what they need to do is make all Final Smash worth it (Some need huge improvements like DK's and Wario's).
Llumys said:
Rosalina's been important (but not playable) in two games; it's obvious she could have a fairly unique moveset.

Just because you like a character doesn't mean they deserve a spot on the roster.
I'll never understand Rosalina supporters.

Rosalina is not an important character of Mario. She may have appeared in the two Galaxy games and MKWii but have you seen her in other game? That clearly shows that she is not as important as Toad, Bowser Jr., or even Paper Mario, all much more likely characters with more potentials for unique move set. She seems like a semi-clone of Peach at best and as such, should be an Assist Trophy.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice

Sure. My opinion is that Brawl was a somewhat good 1player game even if SSE seemed to be linear, if BTT was very disappointing.

When we play Melee for instance, it isn't common to say "I'd love to go 1P mode! " if we are both casual players and competitive. I mean, 1P is only for 1P competitives, most of the time.

So... Brawl should see his story line and 1P model expanded, but I can't really say that both items, multiplayer mode and online were good at all.

Final smash were fun but... I wouldn't enjoy to expand that. Keep it as a casual item, that is very awesome to see (pikachu's one was beautiful), but don't make it like street fighter bar... X_x'

What's your opinion ?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I like the idea of Final Smash and it was executed very strongly. I think what they need to do is make all Final Smash worth it (Some need huge improvements like DK's and Wario's).
Actually, I think Final Smashes were handled both in a right AND wrong sense. They were executed wrong in that a number of them either sucked or were downright broken. On the other hand, if these were made to be instant kill moves to finish a match ala BlazBlue's Astral Heats or Mortal Kombat's fatalities (minus the gore of course), these would be Awesome, but Impractical moves that live up to the name Final Smash.

@Meljin
I think the story mode stuff should either be cut or made like other fighting games where going through Classic Mode or whatever gives you a specific character's perspective of the storyline.

D

Deleted member

So... Brawl should see his story line and 1P model expanded, but I can't really say that both items, multiplayer mode and online were good at all.

What's your opinion ?
I'd have to disagree on the multiplayer aspect. I still find it to be very fun, though it could be speed *just* a little bit.

Also, less floatiness. It's kinda annoying.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Brawl brought a lot of good ideas, but IMO some poor execution.

A longer Adventure mode was a good idea, but I think SSE isn't really what I'm talkin' about.

Co-Op mode was a good idea but I didn't like how when you played it the difficulty was compramized. Ex: if you were playing solo and you had to fight 3 computers, in co-op that would be changed to 2 computers. I think five characters on the screen isn't a big deal.

Steam

Smash Hero
Actually, I think Final Smashes were handled both in a right AND wrong sense. They were executed wrong in that a number of them either sucked or were downright broken. On the other hand, if these were made to be instant kill moves to finish a match ala BlazBlue's Astral Heats or Mortal Kombat's fatalities (minus the gore of course), these would be Awesome, but Impractical moves that live up to the name Final Smash.

@Meljin
I think the story mode stuff should either be cut or made like other fighting games where going through Classic Mode or whatever gives you a specific character's perspective of the storyline.
well tager's astral was practical enough... dunno if spark bolt still combos into it in CS2 tho...

but yeah... compare super sonic and the landmasters to aura storm, puff up, and peach blossom.

though it was an idea I wasn't fond of.

create-a-stage was good. they should expand on it lots.

each character should have their own adventure mode that's about the length of melee's

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Personally, I don't see a reason to not include DVD on consoles now. Yes I have a PS3 for it, but really, it should be a given for those who can't use Netflix or online. It was a main reason why people bought PS2 and for a time, Blu-Ray was a reason why peopple bought PS3. At least we're getting 25 GB, that leaves room for a lot of stuff.

As for release date, I hope it's not on launch. This isn't the type of game that should be rushed at all, it needs to be polished to perfection. I think we'll see it in late 2013-late 2014, that's when the game can be perfected to Sakurai's image.
Yes, having a DVD wouldn't have hurt Wii-U, in fact I believe it would have boosted the sales quite a bit, people just like the convinience of having one, even if you own a ton of devices that do so.

Anyway, I agree with Smash being released on a later date, people are trying to push the date when the Wii-U launches, but that's just not going to happen, Sora & company should really focus on making this game nearly ad good as Melee, better yet surpass it.

Final Smashes are a nice move indeed but this time around they should be less broken and move powerful with an instant kill effect.

:phone:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
each character should have their own adventure mode that's about the length of melee's
if were talking a minimum of 44 character slots that would take up a lot of space. One adventure mode that incorporates everyone like the sse is s lot more practical

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Found some nice little "reads" about everyone's favorite late additions to Brawl~ Sonic and Wolf and something for the Ridley lovers to take to heart.

Wolf stuff
Sakurai has said that everyone now in Brawl was already in the game in some form in 2006, except for Sonic, who was only added after the Brawl polls were taken. It’s my belief that Wolf was actually the last character finished.

Look at what’s in the game. Wolf is always listed last in the character lists (except for Snake and Sonic). He has no role in the Subspace Emissary. He’s the third-to-last character in the last single-player All-Star event match (the only ones who come after him are the third-parties), and he really is the last character in the final co-op event match (even after the third-parties). And then there’s the fact that he had no unique victory fanfare planned even when Mewtwo and Roy did.

It’s my theory that Wolf was scrapped relatively early on, with some of the other cut characters, but for whatever reason he was revived later in development. (Going by this logic, it’s also possible that Jigglypuff and Toon Link may have been in similar situations, but not as “extreme”.) But unlike the other stuff, this one really isn’t a fact.
Sonic Stuff

It’s common knowledge that the reason Snake got in Brawl is because Hideo Kojima (the Metal Gear series creator) approached Sakurai. But some people didn’t know that Kojima had approached Sakurai during Melee’s development as well. Of course, by the time he did, there wasn’t enough time left to get Snake in, but the idea wasn’t dropped, and it seems that it was actually Nintendo who went to Konami to get Snake for Brawl.

Sonic may have been in a similar situation, but I’m not sure. There was a magazine scan floating around (from a little after Melee’s release) in which Yuji Naka claims he had asked Nintendo to put Sonic in Melee, but there wasn’t enough time left. However, this interview was the only place that statement was ever made, and it seems odd that Sega would go to Nintendo at that time (since the Dreamcast was still alive, so they were still in direct competition). It’s possible that the scan may have been faked, but no one really knows for sure.
Ridley Stuff ~ look, Sakurai probably wasn't being lazy!

One of the most hotly debated characters was Ridley, partially because of the Prime-induced boost in popularity the Metroid series got. Sakurai does mention him when asked about it in a Nintendo Power article (228). His response was (and this isn’t an exact quote) “that would have been pretty impossible. If we had to put our best efforts into it, it might have been able to happen, but he’d probably be a little slow.”

A lot of people take that too literally and say “Sakurai was just being lazy!”, but I think that’s kind of unfair. It sounds like the Brawl team just didn’t think Metroid had any suitable non-Samus characters (Sakurai said that he wanted to include more Metroid characters, and they came up with an alternate Samus), which isn’t really that out there. They clearly tried to give the series its due, though (more stages than most other series and more bosses than any other series), so it’s not like they hated Metroid.
If you like this, here's the rest of that GIANT article.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's a pretty big statement, do you have a source? That would be pretty handy and an interesting read. Can we talk about a character for a bit today? I want to hear everyone's opinions on the True blue 3rd party character. Geno.

Thoughts?
Please no, Geno has been discussed to death for the last 5 years. Can we give it a rest for at least one week?
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7957200&postcount=20907

'nuff said...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
While I still am wanting Lip in (she's my number 1 character for SSB4), it is already confirmed that she's NOT playable. In a common sense.
Her chances are just that slim...
Maybe she'll appear SSB6 or never, but still. /nosarcasm/

So I'm holding on Saki, Mac and Starfy. The first two have best chances. Isaac has also potential, even though I'm little familiar with him... (I once rented Golden Sun for GBA but played it little)

Anyway, about the other things I'm wondering. SSBB had a LOTS of stuff that somewhat revolutionised Smash-series, but the generic competitive feel and fast, agile battling from Melee was gone, replaced with realistic approach on the moves which IMO made them quite wonky at points. I wish they try to take back those Melee-physics.

Sakurai stated that he doesn't really like the idea of making another "Melee" or "Brawl" by just adding like 50 characters or stages and call it a day, but I wonder, how can they make Smash Bros better or revolutionise in means of gameplay, gimmicks and imagination thrown to it... I really do wonder.

I remember the days when I didn't care much about Mario-games, they felt so overrated in my opinion. I knew about the series somewhat overally, from NES-ones to DS-ones.

Then came Super Mario Galaxy 2, which I decided to try out for boredom. I wondered should I give Mario another chance.

And I did. The game was pure bliss. It was marvellous and outstanding in every aspect: gameplay, music, graphics were very good... The ones which stood best for me were the gameplay and the imagination.
Galaxy-series were then the best examples I could say about something very great and popular made hundred times better.

So can SSB4 do what Galaxy did for me in my thought for Mario-games? This is what concerns me most.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did set up a weight scale to go with my previously posted roster; post #249 and post #4827.

The scale goes from heaviest to lightest. Also, the Pokemon Trainer himself is excluded, since you control his Pokemon in matches.

1: King K. Rool
2: Bowser
3-4: Donkey Kong, Emboar
5-6: Samus, King Dedede
7-8: Ganondorf, Black Shadow
9-10: Samurai Goroh, Ike
11-12: Wario, R.O.B.
13-14: Link, Captain Falcon
15-16: Ridley, Wolf
17: Zoroark
18-21: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Sonic
22: Takamaru
23-24: Isaac, Saki
25-27: Ness, Lucas, Pit
28-29: Toon Link, Ice Climbers
30-32: Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong
33-34: White Mage, Black Mage
35: Leon
36-37: Peach, Marth
38-40: Falco, Servine, Eggplant Man
41-42: Zelda, Sheik
43-45: Meta Knight, Fox, Tails
46-47: Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu
48-49: Kirby, Bubbles
50: Olimar
51-52: Oshawott, Starfy
53: Mr. Game & Watch
54: Jigglypuff

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Starphoenix: Do you think Saki Amamiya could be considered a retro character since he hasn't appeared in a game since 2000 (Brawl doesn't count)? My point being is that NES-only characters were considered retro characters in Melee, so that leads to my theory that if a character hasn't appeared in a game since three gaming generations ago, they are considered retro. Many people regard the NES and SNES as retro and I agree as well. Once the Wii-U comes around, so will the Nintendo 64. And with an expected 2014 release date, Saki Amamiya could very well be made playable because he would fit under the retro clause, not the irrelevancy clause. So I believe that Saki could very well not have to worry about irrelevancy at all consider her last game was in 2000.
I know you aren't asking me but here is my two cents. I would agree with you except we already had a new Sin & Punishment game in 2009 (in Japan) and 2010 (the rest of the world). I think there is a very good chance we will see Isa Jo instead of Saki Amamiya.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Rosalina fans, I know you're out there and I would just like to say that I heard (NOT sure if this is true) that she was an AT that was actually seen a E3, but was cut for some reason. (Along with some Pokeball Pokemon)

@MarioSonic

Why exactly did you pick Emboar, Servine, and Oshowatt? I hate how people believe that it must go Fire, Grass, Water.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: Do you have that essay in regards to character placements? Me and Shortiecanbrawl were discussing things in this thread and she brought it up.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
One of the most hotly debated characters was Ridley, partially because of the Prime-induced boost in popularity the Metroid series got. Sakurai does mention him when asked about it in a Nintendo Power article (228). His response was (and this isn’t an exact quote) “that would have been pretty impossible. If we had to put our best efforts into it, it might have been able to happen, but he’d probably be a little slow.”
I think this is an indication that Sakurai is going to put his best effort into making him playable in the next smash. They haven't tried their hardest yet, so I can guarantee with the insane fan demand they have, they will attempt to do this.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Arcadenik: Do you have that essay in regards to character placements? Me and Shortiecanbrawl were discussing things in this thread and she brought it up.I think this is an indication that Sakurai is going to put his best effort into making him playable in the next smash.
I was looking and looking for that but couldn't find it... and then I stumbled upon that anti-Geno post I made 2 years ago. :awesome:

I have to keep on looking for it, though...

Oh, God... I really, really hope Starfy will be playable despite that rumor about Sakurai denouncing Starfy. He has so much moveset potential... and he can glide without wings, too!!! Imagine that, a wingless character who can glide?!

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
Oh, God... I really, really hope Starfy will be playable despite that rumor about Sakurai denouncing Starfy. He has so much moveset potential... and he can glide without wings, too!!! Imagine that, a wingless character who can glide?!
Starfy would be a great character. That's why I'm asking a member from GameFAQs who brought up this for proof.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was looking and looking for that but couldn't find it... and then I stumbled upon that anti-Geno post I made 2 years ago. :awesome:

I have to keep on looking for it, though...

I know already his special move suggestions, but A-attacks? That's the hard part.
He could glide, though!

And his final smash? None other than the very unpredictable Star Coin. (From Stafy 4)

D

Deleted member

Starfy would be a great character. That's why I'm asking a member from GameFAQs who brought up this for proof.
Well, there's the whole "Stafy, why did you even come here?!" line from the DOJO, and the fact that he's the only Assist Trophy that can be damaged.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Rosalina fans, I know you're out there and I would just like to say that I heard (NOT sure if this is true) that she was an AT that was actually seen a E3, but was cut for some reason. (Along with some Pokeball Pokemon)

@MarioSonic

Why exactly did you pick Emboar, Servine, and Oshowatt? I hate how people believe that it must go Fire, Grass, Water.
I would like Snivy, Pignite, and Samurott instead.

Samurott would be like the first Pokemon swordfighter and the first quadrupedal swordfighter. But Dewott and Emboar would be fine, too... though Serperior would be pretty awesome... it would probably use its vines to punch and grab stuff like Ivysaur does.

Steam

Smash Hero
I really hope starfy isn't a character. mainly because I just hate characters of that size/proportions. oh look a star with a face. >.>

/rage

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
D

Deleted member

Not really in approval in changing Pokemon Trainers. I don't see the point in changing Pokemon Trainers when we already have the most iconic one already. I'd much rather that Meowth or another Pokemon character with potential get the fifth spot.

@Starphoenix: All are good, but I especially like #3.

@Sonic_The_Baron: I'm going to assume that's bad news for Starfy's chance in the next Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom