• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Dangit, watching all these Custom Robo clips is making me want a new game. I mean if they can make a sequel to Sin and Punishment why not Custom Robo? I'm sure the Wii U could benefit from an arena robot fighter game. :(
You should be hoping for Ray as a playable character then. Imagine the business opportunities Smash provides. Nintendo has their Marios, Links, Pokeymanz all in one game, to ensure buyers. Lump with those big names some of the smaller franchises. Ray, Isaac, Saki. Instantly their recognition with consumers skyrockets. Look what happened with just adding Marth and Roy in Melee. Suddenly Nintendo has a whole new market in the US (Was it Europe too?).

Am I thinking too much on this? :V

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You should be hoping for Ray as a playable character then. Imagine the business opportunities Smash provides. Nintendo has their Marios, Links, Pokeymanz all in one game, to ensure buyers. Lump with those big names some of the smaller franchises. Ray, Isaac, Saki. Instantly their recognition with consumers skyrockets. Look what happened with just adding Marth and Roy in Melee. Suddenly Nintendo has a whole new market in the US (Was it Europe too?).

Am I thinking too much on this? :V
True. Although that hasn't helped Capt. Falcon get a new F-Zero game...

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Ray would be an amazing character, in my opinion. The Custom Robo game for the GC was astounding, and the DS one was just as great, though a bit too hard for me <__<

Off-topic for a second, but where was the list of first and second party games again in this thread? I really hate the "search the thread" feature as it cuts off the post at a certain point, and the thing I'm looking for is at the end of the post. <__<

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!

H-he has absolutely no problem fitting in!
I'm telling you guys, Saki Amamiya was probably the closest AT that came to actually being playable. Somehow I have the feeling that may be true next time around. Seriously, look at the polish of his model.

D

Deleted member

I'm telling you guys, Saki Amamiya was probably the closest AT that came to actually being playable. Somehow I have the feeling that may be true next time around. Seriously, look at the polish of his model.
Saki just so happens to be my second-most supported character after Ray. The blade/laser combination could make for an interesting playstyle.

It's just a pity I suck at the original game. :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
OOHHHH, that update made me rage so hard that morning.... :mad:
Well now that Sin and Punishment 2 has been released, it might give even more of an incentive for Saki Amamiya to become playable next time around. If I were a betting man, I'd say expect to see three Assist Trophies to be "promoted" to playable status:

1: Little Mac
2: Starfy
3: Saki Amamiya

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I love you guys for bringing up Custom Robo. That game for GC was so much fun... I need to go find it...

Ray is my most wanted for Smash, hands down.

D

Deleted member

Well now that Sin and Punishment 2 has been released, it might give even more of an incentive for Saki Amamiya to become playable next time around. If I were a betting man, I'd say expect to see three Assist Trophies to be "promoted" to playable status:

Ray and Isaac were assist trophies, too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
OOHHHH, that update made me rage so hard that morning.... :mad:
I think everyone had some update that raged them. For me, it was Lucas getting the special moves cop out.

You could include Lyn in that list, but that's up for debate.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

Well... maybe not Saki but Isa. Either way it's good.

D

Deleted member

Chidosengan said:
Well, you could probably get the Gamecube's custom robo that came out NA for about 12 bucks or the one for DS. They're pretty much the same from what I heard, so save yourself some money.
Problem being is that I don't have a Gamecube controller or a DS anymore (My DSi got washed up, ugh). I'll find a way eventually.
Starphoenix said:
Saki is definitely playable material, maybe the most of all the Assist Trophy. There's also the possibility that he could fit under the retro status, so he may not face the relevancy issue that F-zero characters and to lesser extend, Custom Robo and Donkey Kong face.
Starphoenix said:

I heard Sakurai publicly denounce Starfy. Which is a shame because he deserves to be playable.

On the topic of Assist Trophies becoming playable, I think we'll see at least two Assist Trophy character: Saki Amamiya and Little Mac. Other plausible inclusions include these:

- Ray MK III
- Samurai Goroh
- Lyn
- Issac

D

Deleted member

That relevancy thing, right? >:

EDIT: Oh geez, this isn't top of the page material here.
I personally am not sure if his October, 2006 game makes him irrelevant, since we don't know the definitive final cut-off date for characters in Brawl nor do we know if Sakurai consider relevant after the final Brawl character is in development (Aside from Sonic) or after Brawl's Japanese release. There's also other factors to consider when it comes to relevancy like importance to the series. He could get in, but even if I rate him at 70%, I can't really say we should expect him.

@Starphoenix: Do you think Saki Amamiya could be considered a retro character since he hasn't appeared in a game since 2000 (Brawl doesn't count)? My point being is that NES-only characters were considered retro characters in Melee, so that leads to my theory that if a character hasn't appeared in a game since three gaming generations ago, they are considered retro. Many people regard the NES and SNES as retro and I agree as well. Once the Wii-U comes around, so will the Nintendo 64. And with an expected 2014 release date, Saki Amamiya could very well be made playable because he would fit under the retro clause, not the irrelevancy clause. So I believe that Saki could very well not have to worry about irrelevancy at all consider her last game was in 2000.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I think Ray would be a great boost for the Custom Robo franchise, it's still fairly unknown outside Japan. That kinda why those titles are regarded as 'good but nothing special.' It's because they don't have a fanbase really pushing them. I am positive a Smash bros character would change that. They are well designed games, and a lot of fun.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think "relevancy" is really a problem for a small franchise who only would only have a single character representing them. But even if it did, we still have picks from Xenoblade, Legend of Stafy, Little Mac, and Golden Sun. Does anyone know anything about last story?

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I don't think "relevancy" is really a problem for a small franchise who only would only have a single character representing them. But even if it did, we still have picks from Xenoblade, Legend of Stafy, Little Mac, and Golden Sun. Does anyone know anything about last story?
Apparently Xenoblade is coming to Europe. Or was it Last Story? I can't remember.

And about the relevancy, I really don't know what Sakurai regards as relevant anymore. I mean, we still got Ice Climbers, and their last game came out two decades ago. Not to mention it was a mediocre game at best.

D

Deleted member

I mean, we still got Ice Climbers, and their last game came out two decades ago. Not to mention it was a mediocre game at best.
I think I read somewhere that the only reason that the Ice Climbers got in was because they offered something unique to Smash.

That being the whole "control two characters" thing, of course.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: Do you think Saki Amamiya could be considered a retro character since he hasn't appeared in a game since 2000 (Brawl doesn't count)? My point being is that NES-only characters were considered retro characters in Melee, so that leads to my theory that if a character hasn't appeared in a game since three gaming generations ago, they are considered retro. Many people regard the NES and SNES as retro and I agree as well. Once the Wii-U comes around, so will the Nintendo 64. And with an expected 2014 release date, Saki Amamiya could very well be made playable because he would fit under the retro clause, not the irrelevancy clause.
The character might be retro, but the series isn't.

D

Deleted member

What do people think of this song? (Pokemon Heart Gold - Surf Theme)

Shortiecanbrawl said:
I'm not sure why small franchises are different from big franchises. Wouldn't it in fact hurt their chances even more?

Also, add Sin & Punishment to the list because we could still get Isa Jo. Remove Starfy because I heard Sakurai denounced him.
Chidosengan said:
And about the relevancy, I really don't know what Sakurai regards as relevant anymore. I mean, we still got Ice Climbers, and their last game came out two decades ago. Not to mention it was a mediocre game at best.
I believe that the irrelevancy issue doesn't apply to retro characters.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, it seems that people forget that there has been new entries in some series.

Isaac could easily be replace by Mathew and Saki by Isa. I'm not saying that I want it or it will happen, but that it could happen... If these series are even given a look at.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Apparently Xenoblade is coming to Europe. Or was it Last Story? I can't remember.

From what I've read, Xenoblade is TBA for North America, while it looks like Last Story isn't moving outside of Japan. Or at least not coming to the US anytime soon. I think releveancy for characters who have competetition for a single slot is a major issue. (EX: Bowser Jr. vs Toad or Toon Zelda vs. Tingle) But we got Lucas? I mean he hasn't been in a game in a long time. What about Doctor Mario? I think it's safe to say Custom Robo isn't out of the rhealm of possibility.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
From what I've read, Xenoblade is TBA for North America, while it looks like Last Story isn't moving outside of Japan. Or at least not coming to the US anytime soon. I think releveancy for characters who have competetition for a single slot is a major issue. (EX: Bowser Jr. vs Toad or Toon Zelda vs. Tingle) But we got Lucas? I mean he hasn't been in a game in a long time. What about Doctor Mario? I think it's safe to say Custom Robo isn't out of the rhelm of possability.
Honestly anything is possible at this point. Well, those that are Nintendo characters at least.

Also @Super Smash Bros. Fan
Where did you heard of this Starfy denouement from?

D

Deleted member

From what I've read, Xenoblade is TBA for North America, while it looks like Last Story isn't moving outside of Japan. Or at least not coming to the US anytime soon. I think releveancy for characters who have competetition for a single slot is a major issue. (EX: Bowser Jr. vs Toad or Toon Zelda vs. Tingle) But we got Lucas? I mean he hasn't been in a game in a long time. What about Doctor Mario? I think it's safe to say Custom Robo isn't out of the rhelm of possability.
Lucas's game came out on April 20, 2006 and his game was in development before Brawl's. There's also the fact that the first game Lucario appeared in was September 28, 2006 with Custom Robo coming October, 2006. Notice that no character after September, 2006 are playable, so there's a slight possibility that the SSB4 chop-off date is after Pokmeon: Diamond & Pearl. Therefore, that along with his Assist Trophy status is why I'm still keeping up hope for Ray MK III.

D

Deleted member

Honestly anything is possible at this point. Well, those that are Nintendo characters at least.

Also @Super Smash Bros. Fan
Where did you heard of this Starfy denouement from?
I've heard from a GameFAQs user that Sakurai denounced Starfy, saying that he didn't have move set potentials.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've heard from a GameFAQs user that Sakurai denounced Starfy, saying that he didn't have move set potentials.
That's a pretty big statement, do you have a source? That would be pretty handy and an interesting read. Can we talk about a character for a bit today? I want to hear everyone's opinions on the True blue 3rd party character. Geno.

Thoughts?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
GameFAQs tends to be a hot spot for idiots. Also, the forums there do have serious limits; you can't edit your own posts, and a thread locks itself automatically after 500 posts are made in it.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
That's a pretty big statement, do you have a source? That would be pretty handy and an interesting read. Can we talk about a character for a bit today? I want to hear everyone's opinions on the True blue 3rd party character. Geno.

Thoughts?
Please no, Geno has been discussed to death for the last 5 years. Can we give it a rest for at least one week?

D

Deleted member

Well ThatWasPeachy did mention it, although only briefly in his #2. I'm asking him to provide proof. I'll get back to you if he has proof of this. I'm hoping that he comes empty handed.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ripping some new Custom Robo battle music that hasn't made it's way onto Youtube yet. I'll share it with all of you. :)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well ThatWasPeachy did mention it, although only briefly in his #2. I'm asking him to provide proof. I'll get back to you if he has proof of this. I'm hoping that he comes empty handed.
I'm thinkin' he will.

Please no, Geno has been discussed to death for the last 5 years. Can we give it a rest for at least one week?
I haven't heard an actual in-depth discussion of him for months. BUT, fine by me. Any thoughts on this Nintendo news?

Ripping some new Custom Robo battle music that hasn't made it's way onto Youtube yet. I'll share it with all of you.
What a niiiice guy :)

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Hey smashboards.
I've got a wonderful idea while browsing this topic ;
since the E3, I'm day-checking IGN, gameFAQ & smash boards, for real news.

Every day, I'm only seeing topics like "Geno for SSB4 ! What is your favourite char ? Is it going to be like Brawl or Melee ? Sakurai flames..."
and since there is 100 topics like that each day, I can't really find really informations. As I am in smashboards, I'll talk about this board : it is painful to go through 100 pages of "geno-love" "anti-toad", et caetera....

So, wouldn't be useful to make a REAL informative topic, with main information on the 1st page for instance ?

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom