• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if smashers find out that there's no option to turn off items and stages.

SAKURAIIIII!
I know you're joking but honestly, that wasn't funny. It doesn't even make any sense. Sakurai isn't that dumb
/serious

Well, at least there's an IF in that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Perhaps, to accommodate the number of new franchises, larger series will get fewer new stages, and remade past stages? Just a thought.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In Brawl, it was slightly more then the slots. In a 44 character slot, we would see around 50 stages, which is good enough for me.
Oh I'm aware of that, just simply stating that the stage count in Brawl is close to that of the character count.

It's an exaggerated take on his non-competitive views on Smash.
**** it. I'm taking things seriously again >_<

I think they'll remove the melee stages then replace it with brawl stages. That way, the number of stages wouldn't be that big. Err... Never mind. That's obvious

Throwback stages (Brawl): 8 - 10
SSB 4 stages: 50 - 55 I guess.

That's 58 - 65 stages

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would kind of like if they brought back a few Smash 64 stages... Having Melee stages was nice, but a lot of the charm of having past stages to begin with is the WORSE GRAPHICS (IMO). Not much difference visually with Brawl and Melee stages.

Oh, I know. With all this nonsense about DLC, they could make a bunch of new stages for release, then afterward release a past stage pack? Nonsense.

I would kind of like if they brought back a few Smash 64 stages... Having Melee stages was nice, but a lot of the charm of having past stages to begin with is the WORSE GRAPHICS (IMO). Not much difference visually with Brawl and Melee stages.

Oh, I know. With all this nonsense about DLC, they could make a bunch of new stages for release, then afterward release a past stage pack? Nonsense.
The worse graphics can help. That means it will take small space compared to the Brawl and melee stages.

I have nothing against DLC nor I even like the idea. The only DLC suggestion I gave was smash bros. paradise but it sounds ridiculous and stupid.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Everyone has got to get over the whole situation regaurding a universal roster. It's probably going to happen, and that isn't a bad thing. Heck, it's not even anything to worry about yet. We have the customizable issue, and just the general idea that gameplay is going to absolutely blow. Though I think we have a chance to get some good gameplay, this is still #1 concern. If the gameplay is decent, the rest will follow.

@Fatmanonice's 50 character roster limit.
I'm sure this is without transformations, and even if it isn't we can only HOPE gameplay will be focused on. Lord we do not need another Brawl. Oh no no nonolnono

Everyone has got to get over the whole situation regaurding a universal roster. It's probably going to happen, and that isn't a bad thing. Heck, it's not even anything to worry about yet. We have the customizable issue, and just the general idea that gameplay is going to absolutely blow. Though I think we have a chance to get some good gameplay, this is still #1 concern. If the gameplay is decent, the rest will follow.
The Wii U can handle all adventure, multiplayer, 50 characters and graphics.

The 3DS version? Umm.... Well, it is as powerful as the Wii (Or maybe even more powerful than it since it can handle 3D). SSBB could handle 35 characters. I don't know how much space is in a 3DS game. I'm not sure if if the 3DS can hold more than 45 characters.

Oh wait, I didn't know that the USB flash drive could take 16 GB. I have a question:

Which character data/characters take up much more space?

SSB or Street Fighter?

------

Brawl? There was nothing wrong WITH smash bros. brawl. It's only the gameplay. It wasn't as competitive as melee but it's still a fun game. At least there were 35 characters. It's better than having exact clones in the game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

The 3DS version? Umm.... Well, it is as powerful as the Wii (Or maybe even more powerful than it since it can handle 3D). SSBB could handle 35 characters. I don't know how much space is in a 3DS game. I'm not sure if if the 3DS can hold more than 45 characters.

Oh wait, I didn't know that the USB flash drive could take 16 GB. I have a question:

SSB or Street Fighter?

------

Brawl? There was nothing wrong WITH smash bros. brawl. It's only the gameplay. It wasn't as competitive as melee but it's still a fun game. At least there were 35 characters. It's better than having exact clones in the game.
I want competitive. Brawl has dreadful, dreadful consequences because of the lack of balance. Some characters can't even attack most of the time without being punished for it. That's beyond stupid. There is a lot wrong with Brawl, it's fun. . . if you aren't playing against really good players. Because when you are, they know how to exploit your character's weakness. When I talk about gameplay, I mean the fighting itself, not the modes and such. Also, it isn't better when some of the half clones can't compete with the other characters. I would rather have be Pichu vs. Fox, than Ganondorf vs. Meta Knight.

On another note, I would THINK Street Fighter, but I have no clue.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:

@Fatmanonice's 50 character roster limit.
I'm sure this is without transformations, and even if it isn't we can only HOPE gameplay will be focused on. Lord we do not need another Brawl. Oh no no nonolnono
- That's why in the case that it does get confirmed, I'm going to skip all news of the game, go inactive, wait until the entire roster is revealed (I don't care much about being spoiled in terms of characters and stages, now potential plot stories, music, etc, not so much), and then after the game is released, see if the game is still worth getting. I'd rather not force people to put up with my complaints about this because it won't do anything and you already know that I hate this idea. But I'll drop the subject now for this thread and won't bring it up again until something concrete comes.

- Sakurai seems enthusiastic about developing this game whereas he was reluctant to develop Brawl. I believe that a more energetic creator should mean a better game for all of us. I can't really see how the customization issue is a huge problem. My main problem aside from the rosters are how online will work, if they'll get rid of tripping, how they'll deal with clones, and what type of gameplay they'll add that's new to this game. Interested in hearing why.

- Sakurai almost always includes transformations when talking about Brawl and Melee playable characters.

I want competitive. Brawl has dreadful, dreadful consequences because of the lack of balance. Some characters can't even attack most of the time without being punished for it. That's beyond stupid. There is a lot wrong with Brawl, it's fun. . . if you aren't playing against really good players. Because when you are, they know how to exploit your character's weakness. When I talk about gameplay, I mean the fighting itself, not the modes and such.

Oh. I thought you disliked brawl just because of it being not as competitive as melee. My bad.

If street fighter characters takes more space than SSB characters, I guess it's possible to make 50 characters. I said if

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's too bad I'm going to make myself look incredibly dumb by asking this, but exactly are the big problems that really need fixing with Brawl's metagame?

General character balance? DI? Not enough tripping? Just a big list of things would be COOL.

Also I would imagine Street Fighter character data is larger since, because the game only needs to keep up with two players on the screen, they can have larger and more detailed models and textures, as well as smoother animations. TO MY KNOWLEDGE animations take up the most space? I think? I'm not really sure where Street Fighter would stand with Smash on that. I think the models and textures for every character in Brawl would be like, 20 MB? lol. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here. :V )

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
- That's why in the case that it does get confirmed, I'm going to skip all news of the game, go inactive, wait until the entire roster is revealed (I don't care much about being spoiled in terms of characters and stages, now potential plot stories, music, etc, not so much), and then after the game is released, see if the game is still worth getting. I'd rather not force people to put up with my complaints about this because it won't do anything and you already know that I hate this idea. But I'll drop the subject now for this thread and won't bring it up again until something concrete comes.
I don't see a reason to be mad about there being a universal roster? If the 3DS can handle the WiiU's roster, who cares? If it can't then I think they'll make a different roster. But from what I'm hearing, 45-50 characters, with all the stages and music of the WiiU is no problem, so I don't see why you are worried.

Lastly, don't get let the smart negative Nancy's get under your skin, because if they were smart posative Nancy's they probably would be telling us all to plus sides to this game. I truely understand where you're coming from. I love the idea of version exclusive rosters. "Only characters to have been on a handheld Nintendo title are allowed in SSB3DS" would make my day! That means the original twelve holds NO grounds, and the roster is 100% up in the air. How cool right? But that isn't likely, so just relax, and let the reality of the situation sink in.

It's too bad I'm going to make myself look incredibly dumb by asking this, but exactly are the big problems that really need fixing with Brawl's metagame?

General character balance? DI? Not enough tripping? Just a big list of things would be COOL.
Ask Kuma, he knows all about it. I'm not so smart when it comes to that, I only know a little.

D

Deleted member

Toad said:

SSB or Street Fighter?

------

- I'm not sure about the 3DS can handle more than 45 slots and I have my doubts about it handling even 40. I have incredibly low expectations for the 3DS version, which is natural because it's on a handheld system, but having to do the same for the Wii-U version doesn't make me do that, it can turn me off the game entirely.

- I thought the 3DS card was only 8 GB max.

- As for this one, I don't know. Both are very different fighting games and we don't know which character models take up more. There's no real way to compare either games, since up until now, Street Fighter and Smash Bros. have never appeared on the same console. One thing to note that Street Fighter is more susceptible to clones then Smash Bros, which most of it's characters are unique, but HD models will take more time to form. I'd say that Smash Bros. may take more time, but I'm not really informed about this.

Let's find something else to discuss. I've pretty much said too much of this already.

Okay. Let's stop discussing about the roster.

So.... what now? More items, ATs, additional modes for the 3DS and Wii U?

Oh you called me Toad. Lol. I'm off for now. Well for a few hours.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Spydr: Hey, you trust me as a smart dude, right?

Then trust me and only me on this: the 3DS can handle all the characters, stages, music, and physics that the Wii U has to offer.
SSBF, this guy is smart, listen to him ^^^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For the record, Shortiecanbrawl likes cats. And now, he likes Ono.
Actually, I was referring to Sakurai's cats. If you can find his Twitter, he has a lot of pictures of cats.

This is what Ono does:

Sometimes though, Ono will put Blanka in front of something to tease the fans. Imagine Sakurai doing this with his cats.

Ask Kuma, he knows all about it. I'm not so smart when it comes to that, I only know a little.
Actually, I only know a little as well, but I'll go into some of the basic stuff.

The biggest problem with Brawl is the way punishment and reward work. Because the game has no canceling, punishment is limited by DI and both players guessing right/wrong. There's barely any true combos as a result and this affects the pace of the game as it takes forever to rack up damage. Then there's also a lack of actual failsafes like tech grabs or something to detect infinites or similar loops. And finally, instead of simplifying the inputs for some of Melee's accidental techniques and making them "canon" they were taken out and got random tripping which pretty much punishes you just for moving or attacking.

D

Deleted member

Oasis_S said:
General character balance? DI? Not enough tripping?
- For character balance, as long as no one overpowers the other, clones become unique and more lugified, game play is not too easy (In terms of KOing a player or winning a match) and that Ganondorf/Toon Link get unique move set, I'll be fine with character balance.

- There should be no tripping except Diddy's banana. Period. It's incredibly annoying and not needed.

@Shortiecanbrawl: One thing I will say, I absolutely hope he is right. That's why I still plan on finding out how many characters are in after the information comes in (And if this rumor is true). Then I'll decide whenever or not based on that and other stuffs, if the game is worth getting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The number one thing I'd be concerned with is if the gameplay's good.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I want competitive. Brawl has dreadful, dreadful consequences because of the lack of balance. Some characters can't even attack most of the time without being punished for it. That's beyond stupid. There is a lot wrong with Brawl, it's fun. . . if you aren't playing against really good players. Because when you are, they know how to exploit your character's weakness. When I talk about gameplay, I mean the fighting itself, not the modes and such. Also, it isn't better when some of the half clones can't compete with the other characters. I would rather have be Pichu vs. Fox, than Ganondorf vs. Meta Knight

name a fighting game not like this. Hell if you play against a moderately good player in street fighter you could get comboed into oblivion. Another thing to consider is I highly doubt the game wad tested for balance under optimal competitive conditions. I could be wrong but I would put money on it that the game wasn't balanced for one on one, no item matches on 'neutral' stages. As far as we're concerned the game could have been fairly well balanced from the developer's standpoint.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
name a fighting game not like this. Hell if you play against a moderately good player in street fighter you could get comboed into oblivion. Another thing to consider is I highly doubt the game wad tested for balance under optimal competitive conditions. I could be wrong but I would put money on it that the game wasn't balanced for one on one, no item matches on 'neutral' stages. As far as we're concerned the game could have been fairly well balanced from the developer's standpoint.
I think a better argument for Shortie would have been that the better player is gonna be all defensive and wait for you to come since that's competitive Brawl in a nutshell.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
There should be no tripping except Diddy's banana. Period. It's incredibly annoying and not needed.
They should increase the amount of tripping, and make it so that there is a random chance of Captain Falcon coming out of no where to FALCON PUNCH you. This is an instant KO and cannot be avoided.

Also they should make it so that when you trip, you can scoot around on your booty. Like crawling, but while on one's bum.

On a more serious note: I do hope he makes an option to turn off stage hazards. I know he thinks it is so fun when players get hit with Palkia's laser beams, but just give players the option, y'know?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
name a fighting game not like this. :phone:

Like I said, I don't know much. But he got what I was talking about so that's all that matters. Now listen to Kuma.

I think a better argument for Shortie would have been that the better player is gonna be all defensive and wait for you to come since that's competitive Brawl in a nutshell.
UGH. So much this ^^^

They should increase the amount of tripping, and make it so that there is a random chance of Captain Falcon coming out of no where to FALCON PUNCH you. This is an instant KO and cannot be avoided.

Also they should make it so that when you trip, you can scoot around on your booty. Like crawling, but while on one's bum.

On a more serious note: I do hope he makes an option to turn off stage hazards. I know he thinks it is so fun when players get hit with Palkia's laser beams, but just give players the option, y'know?
I don't like the idea of tripping---

Wait, are you taking this seriously :glare: ?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
When Iwata asked him if was going to do 50 characters Sakurai said that he didn't want to do that much for the franchise. Granted, he could change his mind but all in all it seems like his goal is to stay below that amount.
Well that is rather interesting, where did you hear about this? Link?

Hopefully that won't be the case, but then again balancing wouldn't be as bad if it were say 45/47.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't like the idea of tripping---

Wait, are you taking this seriously :glare: ?
The S in Oasis_S stands for SERIOUS, of course.

And STRONG.

As well as SUKAPON FOR SM4SH.

More importantly, it stands for STAGE LIST. Which, really isn't worth listing since I can't really think of any actual stages, just that there should be a stage for a particular character/franchise. Though after looking over past stages, I think 20 in all would do? Four Smash 64 stages, eight Melee and eight Brawl. It'd be even better if they were all remade with HD graphics (WOW MY OPINION CHANGES SUDDENLY). Add at least 30 new stages, no more than 40, and that would be a pretty darn STRONG stage selection. SIXTY stages is kind of pushing it though, isn't it. :V

What if I'm SECRETLY SAKURAI?!

OmegaXXII

You for S for Sakurai but....

Yea more classic stage selection means less hacking, I would love to see them as DLC at least:

Meta Stage (N64)
Saffron City (N64)
HYrule Temple (N64)
Final Destenation ( Melee)
Battlefield (Melee)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Then you be able to speak with me in Japanese.

Nihongo o hanashimasu ka?
Achiki tte saikou! Achiki tte nanbaa wan!?
Sou yo achiki ga kono yo de SAIKYOU na no yo!

Anyway, If I remember correctly, the past stages in Brawl weren't actually ported over, they just remade them as best they could...? Although that seems a bit silly.

EDIT: "We’ve tried to create an exact replica, but there may be a few areas that differ from the last game. I hope you understand." Seems to suggest they made them from scratch? Could have at least reused the textures. :V

OmegaXXII

Well it depends, since SBB4 is obviously going to be in HD (at least Wii U) I'm guessing stage textures have to be completly redone, in other words re-do the stage from scratch, and that takes alot of time to make, hopefully Sora Ltd. will bring the at least 2 stages from past series, of course Brawl would get more than that.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
thats what i cant wait for, seeing everybody in HD. i mean brawl characters looked great but this time it'll look even better.
i could just picture it now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm sure it will be impressive, heck we already got a preview of what Link might look like from Skyward Sword.

Well, I just hope they don't keep going down the "realistic" direction, because there's a point where that stops being... okay.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
All I care about is more diversity in the stages, Brawl did a great job in that but we could use more. Like more stages from various franchises, even if it does not have a corresponding character. I have been listening to the two Custom Robo 64 games music this week and am now desperately longing for a stage. If for no other reason than the music, I didn't realize Shinji Hosoe and his team were the ones responsible for the series music up until the Gamecube title! O_O

Music sounds like Megaman Network Transmission, and Network Transmission had one of my favorite soundtracks for the Gamecube. Even if the game didn't do to well, though I enjoyed it...

Custom Robo
Megaman Network Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom