• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I guess you're right, back to the Toad/Bowser Jr. argument then. :urg:
Wish we didn't. We're going back 3 years with this conversation again. But if we have to, then here's my two cents (if they even worth a damn):

Both Bowser Jr and Toad have seem more limelight as of late. Toad has been playable in the last Mario game (two of them no less), and Bowser Jr has been used as a baddie constantly since Mario Sunshine. I can say that both of them have a really good chance. I don't know who will Sakurai will choose, if he even chooses any of the at all. It doesn't really matter how much fan following a characters has, that won't give them a slot. Look at Ridley in Brawl, he had an insane following, and all he got was 2 boss battles in SSE,

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Wish we didn't. We're going back 3 years with this conversation again. But if we have to, then here's my two cents (if they even worth a damn):

Both Bowser Jr and Toad have seem more limelight as of late. Toad has been playable in the last Mario game (two of them no less), and Bowser Jr has been used as a baddie constantly since Mario Sunshine. I can say that both of them have a really good chance. I don't know who will Sakurai will choose, if he even chooses any of the at all. It doesn't really matter how much fan following a characters has, that won't give them a slot. Look at Ridley in Brawl, he had an insane following, and all he got was 2 boss battles in SSE,
Yeah I fine both have a equal chance to get in myself. Both are important characters and have a lot of popularity.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Well until one of them gets a unique identity and has an important role in a future Yoshi Island game I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
Well, technically, Bandit had an important role in Yoshi's Island (SNES). He's constantly trying to steal Baby Mario from Yoshi. That makes him a constant antagonist. And the moveset I made up for him seems possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, technically, Bandit had an important role in Yoshi's Island (SNES). He's constantly trying to steal Baby Mario from Yoshi. That makes him a constant antagonist. And the moveset I made up for him seems possible.
That doesn't matter. Bandits are generic enemies, so they're most likely going to be limited to being Adventure Mode enemies.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the species but it wasn't any particular one. Also that is a minor role considering how all the other enemies were trying to kill Yoshi which would have the same effect so they didn't have an important role either besides what a minor enemy would do.

That doesn't matter. Bandits are generic enemies, so they're most likely going to be limited to being Adventure Mode enemies.
This right here. ^

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Well technically every baddie in the game was. At least they were out for Yoshi's blood.

Steam

Smash Hero
I just now realized how fanboyish someone seems when their avatar matches the character they support.

I should not have had a riolu avvy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, technically, Bandit had an important role in Yoshi's Island (SNES).
Even for my standards, that game did come out a long time ago, and relevance is a virtue here.

As for the Toad/Bowser Jr. debate. Toads chances were best during 64, Melee, and to a lesser extent, Brawl. Now that Bowser Jr. is consistantly making an appearance as an actually important character, he deserves the spot more than Toad. IMO. Back when Bowser Jr. was only in Sunshine/Double Dash Toad lovers actually had an arguement. We all know that Miyomoto picked two Toads for NSMBWii because he was lazy. He even said making Wario/Peach would require him to make someone that isn't similar to Mario's shape. Bowser Jr. is pretty much in your face the whole time in that game. He's also made appearances in both Galaxy games, and had a major role in SMS of course. I'm sure we will see him in Super Mario Mii (if it moves past the Beta stage). You can't argue Toad is more important. More popular, I suppose, but not more important.

I wonder if Bowser Jr. will make an appearance in super Mario 3D? It reminds me heavily of SM64, who had pretty much no Semi-Boss elements.

I just now realized how fanboyish someone seems when their avatar matches the character they support.
I support a Britney Spears, Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj team who will work like the Ice climbers. They will be Femme Fatale Tier.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Mario franchise really doesn't need any more characters. You already have all the main characters and, if anything, I'd prefer smaller franchises to get more reps especially with how Sakurai's goal is not to surpass 50 characters. If nobody is cut that leaves 11 spots left and I can make a list of realistic franchises that are not yet represented in Smash that would fill at least half those spots, nevermind the franchises already represented that have strong contenders that have been waiting for their chance since Melee.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about the Paper Mario discussion lately. And I thought to myself: Why have Paper Mario himself? The series is quite popular, and probably deserves a rep... But does it have to be Mario?

Why not have another character be added that's in paper form that isn't already represented. Like....:
Rawk Hawk
Dooplis
Koops
Goombella
Vivian
Bobbery
etc.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Thoughts?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about the Paper Mario discussion lately. And I thought to myself: Why have Paper Mario himself? The series is quite popular, and probably deserves a rep... But does it have to be Mario?

Why not have another character be added that's in paper form that isn't already represented. Like....:
Rawk Hawk
Dooplis
Koops
Goombella
Vivian
Bobbery
etc.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Thoughts?
Bandy Andy, Swindell or Eddie the Mask

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The Mario franchise really doesn't need any more characters.
True.

if anything, I'd prefer smaller franchises to get more reps especially with how Sakurai's goal is not to surpass 50 characters.
Can you provide a source?

If nobody is cut that leaves 11 spots
I think that's a pretty big if.

I can make a list of realistic franchises that are not yet represented in Smash that would fill at least half those spots, nevermind the franchises already represented that have strong contenders that have been waiting for their chance since Melee.
Do show.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
It's just a figure of speech. ;)

And now for something completely different:

Why is thread more popular than it's 3DS counterpart?
Because all the other Smash games have been on consoles so it's a bit easier to know what to expect. That and I think if people had to choose whether Smash appeared only on a handheld or a console they would choose the console.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah but they are other enemies who do try to steal baby Mario like those monkeys.
That's pretty much it. Most enemies only want Baby Mario, and could care less about Yoshi. The Lunge Fish is one of the very few enemies who will eat a Yoshi; this would result in a life loss instantly.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because all the other Smash games have been on consoles so it's a bit easier to know what to expect. That and I think if people had to choose whether Smash appeared only on a handheld or a console they would choose the console.
That, and everybody is scared poopless at the thought of a customizable SSB game. I know I am.... *shivers* >.>

The Lunge Fish is one of the very few enemies who will eat a Yoshi; this would result in a life loss instantly.
No enemy scares me more than them. Lunge Fish > Bowser, Ganon, Ridley combined

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It's just a figure of speech. ;)

And now for something completely different:

Why is thread more popular than it's 3DS counterpart?
I know. I think it's really funny how that thread is only on page 3 and this thread is in the hundreds.

@Barbasol

I think paper Mario would be better because he can utilize multiple people you mentioned

:phone:

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I know. I think it's really funny how that thread is only on page 3 and this thread is in the hundreds.

@Barbasol

I think paper Mario would be better because he can utilize multiple people you mentioned

Actually it's on like page 8. ;)

EDIT Who is that?

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Since the Wii U is gonna be so powerful, chances are, the next Smash Bros will have DLC, as in more characters, stages, etc. Then I'll get all the characters I want the day they'd come out (I'm looking at you Bandit).:cool:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

@Barbasol

Personally, I just don't see Paper Mario happening, since Mario is already in the roster.

If this guy gets in, he'll be top tier for sure
That's the Deku Tree Sprout, from OoT. He appears in front of the Great Deku Tree after you've cleared the Forest Temple.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
With 40 post per page its on 3

Since we have multiple incarnations of link and supposedly almost had multiple zeldas I don't see why mot

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah I'm worried how that's going to turn out which makes me worried about the Wii U version too.
I recall looking back on a very old Pre-Brawl release thread when they first heard about speed changes in the game. I have this quote that best sums up how I feel, only my worries involve the customization.

The speed 'moderately' adjusted? Does this mean wavedashing, teching and L-canceling will be adjusted :(?
Yes, yes it does.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Since the Wii U is gonna be so powerful, chances are, the next Smash Bros will have DLC, as in more characters, stages, etc. Then I'll get all the characters I want the day they'd come out (I'm looking at you Bandit).:cool:
Still not likely since there is often a limited amount of DLC and a minor enemy is not high on the demand list. That and it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo decides not to do DLC for SSB4.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
To be honest, I can't imagine Smash with DLC. If it happens, awesome*. If it doesn't, meh.

*Assuming Nintendo's DLC would be free but if it's not, I DON'T LIKE IT.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Still not likely since there is often a limited amount of DLC and a minor enemy is not high on the demand list. That and it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo decides not to do DLC for SSB4.
Dude, the Wii U will definitely have DLC. I also think SSB4 will have DLC after the whole backlash that there wasn't any in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom