• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like the idea of downloadable content. It seems like a feature nintendo has been experimenting with more and more recently. Brawl had a basic version of it with the smash service. I just wonder what else nintendo could do with it.

New stages would sound appealing and not disrupt anything.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I still like the idea of downloadable content. It seems like a feature nintendo has been experimenting with more and more recently. Brawl had a basic version of it with the smash service. I just wonder what else nintendo could do with it.

New stages would sound appealing and not disrupt anything.
I'm against DLC. Most of the time they're stuff that's already in the game that we are paying to unlock. And if they really plan to make characters as DLC, why don't they just add them from the get go? Seriously, this a bad idea.

D

Deleted member

I'll state this again: I like DLC under the condition that individually, they're $3 or less and done with either characters that was planned but did not make it (For free) and highly requested characters not planned a few months on. Same can apply towards other stuffs.
Fatmanonice said:
The Mario franchise really doesn't need any more characters. You already have all the main characters and, if anything, I'd prefer smaller franchises to get more reps especially with how Sakurai's goal is not to surpass 50 characters. If nobody is cut that leaves 11 spots left and I can make a list of realistic franchises that are not yet represented in Smash that would fill at least half those spots, nevermind the franchises already represented that have strong contenders that have been waiting for their chance since Melee.
How is it Sakurai's goal not to extend beyond 50 characters? If it was, he would have said there would not be 50 characters in the game (Including transformations).
Shortiecanbrawl said:
That, and everybody is scared poopless at the thought of a customizable SSB game. I know I am.... *shivers* >.>
I'm much more afraid of the game having the same roster between the 3DS and Wii-U version.
Steam said:
they won't do DLC... they could have with the wii but instead they had all the wiishop channel crap
That has nothing to do with the Wii-U or SSB4. We're getting a much better online service then the Wii.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I'm against DLC. Most of the time they're stuff that's already in the game that we are paying to unlock. And if they really plan to make characters as DLC, why don't they just add them from the get go? Seriously, this a bad idea.
Not all companies who do DLC do that. Look at Bungie for a noteworthy example. Has Nintendo even did actual DLC yet? If not, we can't assume they would go that route.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Not all companies who do DLC do that. Look at Bungie for a noteworthy example. Has Nintendo even did actual DLC yet? If not, we can't assume they would go that route.
It's probably just me, but I would like to pay once for my game and enjoy the full package, not waiting for them to release something I would have to pay for later to fully enjoy the contents.

On a unrelated note: Why hasn't Fire Emblem 12 release outside Japan? Come on! We've been waiting for almost a year now! :mad:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How is it Sakurai's goal not to extend beyond 50 characters? If it was, he would have said there would not be 50 characters in the game (Including transformations).
Of course, even though we don't know the roster total, 55 (transformations included) is pretty much the highest possible amount that would be realistic.

Of course, 5 of those 55 characters would have to either be transformations, or Pokemon used by the Pokemon Trainer. That way, the roster will have 50 separate characters, which leads to my previous statement, regarding unlockables.

By having an even-numbered roster, that helps to balance out the starters and the unlockables. Remember, Mario Kart Wii has 12 starters and 12 unlockables (Miis not included).

D

Deleted member

@Mario_And_Sonic_Guy: No, that would be four. Pokemon Trainer adds two more characters then it would with just one Pokemon, not three. Sheik and Zero Suit Samus add two. Therefore, in that case, 54 would be the most we can realistically expect. Remember, Brawl has 39 including transformations and 35 slots.

Okay, so it's been established that most of us don't want the same roster for both games so rather then try to panic about the possibility of that happening, let's try to discuss how likely this actually is.

So that leaves me with a question. On a scale from 0 (Impossible) to 10 (Guarantee), how likely do you think it is for us to have to deal with the same roster for both verions?

My answer is 2. There is no reason for Sakurai and his crew to do this as all it will do is discourage potential fans from buying the game and that it will scare away millions of fans, especially if the roster goes below the 40 character slots limit. As such, this maneuver will cost them millions of dollars they would have gotten by keeping the roster at 25-35 slots and the 3DS version at 44 or more. Because of this, Sakurai is aware of the consequences that awaits his team and as such, will likely take the more profitable route of these two:

- All characters not on the 3DS version will be exclusive to the Wii-U version.
- Lots of exclusives on both sides.

Both will please fans and they have more benefits then negative consequences for both sides. There's no good reason for Sora Ltd. to do this to us. Unfortunately, I have a huge gut feeling this could very well happen.

Let's try to discuss the (unfortunate) possibility of this and let's not try to panic over this again (Like I admittedly did).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Mario_And_Sonic_Guy: No, that would be four. Pokemon Trainer adds two more characters then it would with just one Pokemon, not three. Sheik and Zero Suit Samus add two. Therefore, in that case, 54 would be the most we can realistically expect. Remember, Brawl has 39 including transformations and 35 slots.
When you get the Brawl trophies, however, Pokemon Trainer is separate from his Pokemon, which added up to 40 fighter trophies. That's pretty much where I'm getting at.

Not sure why you think Jigglypuff and Luigi should be unlockable. We know the original twelve will almost certainly return so might as well make them available from the start and focus the unlockable characters on newcomers and Melee/Brawl unlockable characters. Luigi can give his spot to Bowser Jr./Toad/Paper Mario for the hidden Mario character and Jigglypuff can give it to a second Pokemon newcomer (If it happens).
Maybe it's because they were unlockables ever since. I don't know why Sakurai continued to make them unlockables. It's stupid but it's most likely gonna happen again.
Yes your argument is faulty.

You: Hits mean that the character is well liked/relevant.

Me: Hits can mean anything ranging from love to hate to not knowing who the character is.

You: It can work the opposite way too.

Me: How can it work the opposite way when I just listed all the possibilities?

You then either don't respond or ignore what I said and repeat your argument even though I showed how it is a fallacy.
Ignore the trolls. You're contributing to the unnecessary page increase.
I can personally see Tingle as an assist character, but not a playable character. As for Zelda characters, what about the oracles? Skull Kid? There're a few characters from Zelda I feel could be made playable.
Skull kid only appeared in Twilight Princess and Majora's mask. I think Sakurai will replace Toon Link with either Young Link or Toon Zelda (Clone)
Blue Shell? Sorry, but I consider the Blue Shell to be a completely different item. Basically, the images below are what I'd qualify to call a Blue Shell.

Why people constantly call Mario Kart's Spiny Shell a Blue Shell is beyond me, because the differences between those two shells are right in front of their eyes; one shell has spikes; the other doesn't.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Oh! I forgot about the blue shell in NSMB ds!

Anyone was manly enough to unlock all characters with out SSE?

D

Deleted member

This is the quote, right?
Sakurai's SSB4 interview said:
He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance. He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.
I believe he said it wouldn't feel right to just increase it to just 50 characters. It doesn't mean he will do it, but it also doesn't mean he will not do it.

D

Deleted member

Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
When you get the Brawl trophies, however, Pokemon Trainer is separate from his Pokemon, which added up to 40 fighter trophies. That's pretty much where I'm getting at.
When Sakurai talks about the number of Brawl characters, he mentions 39, not 40. That means if the most we can expect is 55 characters, the most amount of slots reasonable is 51. It's 39 because Pokemon Trainer himself isn't playable.

Even more item ideas:

Blue shell (Not spiny) - To get in the blue shell, you must crouch however you can be grabbed or thrown. To slide as a blue shell, dash then crouch.

Red shell - The red shell when thrown targets it's closest enemy. It also tracks and follows the enemy.

Question: Should it follow the enemy if he's air borne?

Stage idea:

Dr. Wily's caslte

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When Iwata asked him if was going to do 50 characters Sakurai said that he didn't want to do that much for the franchise. Granted, he could change his mind but all in all it seems like his goal is to stay below that amount.

D

Deleted member

When Iwata asked him if was going to do 50 characters Sakurai said that he didn't want to do that much for the franchise. Granted, he could change his mind but all in all it seems like his goal is to stay below that amount.
Where did he say that? Quote would be nice.

He didn't want to but he didn't say he won't.

I don't think keeping the number of characters below 50 is a goal. It's just that he'll focus on his main goal then he'll see if he can do 50 characters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I am that STRONG, yes. :V Except Wolf. Didn't want to play 350 1v1 1 stock random matches. The only other option was to play SSE to unlock the boss battles mode. u3u

It was so fun in Melee unlocking all the characters by doing dumb stuff. The first day I got it I left my Gamecube on all night just to get Mewtwo. :3 Even made a little sign to warn my parents not to turn it off... EVERY SMASH HAS GIVEN ME SUCH FOND MEMORIES...

I've FINALLY gotten to play Brawl for the first time in forever (my Wii can't read discs anymore). I'm excited to see what Sakurai does with the power of the WiiU. I had forgotten how beautiful some of the stages were. Makes me wonder what ideas of his he COULDN'T pull off at the time with the Wii's power.

Have we discussed what a possible total number of stages could be? If he wanted to double the number of stages... That'd be... 82?! Impossible.

Even more and more item ideas:

Piranha Plant - At first, it appears as a seed then when thrown on ground, it becomes the scary form itself! It can do 2 attacks, chomp and eat. Chomp deals 10% while eating the opponent causes 9% damage each second. To break out of the plant, rapidly mash the A button.

Mirror shield - It can reflect all projectiles including bombs.

Coins (Not smash coins) - Increases your damage depending on how many coins you have. You can hold a max of 10.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
i did because i was waiting for the next weekend when my friend would come over and we would do co-op.

i remember doing 249 matches and then getting the challenger message and thinking "G&W is suppose to be 250 matches" i turns out i had t fight sonic and the requirement was play for 3 hours. i felt like an addict for a while after that O_o.

regarding 5170:
i don like that idea because if you dont own a 3ds you dont get the whole game and multiple times in this thread you have said that the 3ds would be able to transfer charcters to the wiiu version.
to me that means if you only have one system you get two watered down versions and if you have both systems you have the full version and a wattered down 3ds version. i would be happy if they gave us a watered down 3ds version rom the get go

D

Deleted member

@berserker01: Didn't feel it was needed, but did it anyway.
disfunkshunal said:
i don like that idea because if you dont own a 3ds you dont get the whole game and multiple times in this thread you have said that the 3ds would be able to transfer charcters to the wiiu version.
to me that means if you only have one system you get two watered down versions and if you have both systems you have the full version and a wattered down 3ds version. i would be happy if they gave us a watered down 3ds version rom the get go
So what do you think of the idea that the 3DS is the water down version (In at least the character rosters with an estimate of 30-35 slots) and the Wii-U version receiving all the exclusives (44 or more character slots probable)?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
thats easily the one i'd be most happy with.
the only problem there is, is which characters dont make the cut on the 3ds but imo theats the smallest issue.

@berserker01: Didn't feel it was needed, but did it anyway.So what do you think of the idea that the 3DS is the water down version (In at least the character rosters with an estimate of 30-35 slots) and the Wii-U version receiving all the exclusives (44 or more character slots probable)?
I think it's the best idea so far to avoid the chances of a disappointing roster.

I think Sakurai will add some features such as customize character in 3DS. There is a possibility for it to be in the Wii U but it needs to be in the 3DS version since the 3DS is limited to 1 player. Any thoughts about the 3DS connectivity to the Wii U? I didn't see any post about it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
82!? Where did you get the idea of 82 stages?
"He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance."

Brawl had 41 stages, so that'd be 82 if he doubled the amount. :p That'd be more than 64, Melee, and Brawl's stages combined, lol.

Would ~60 total be a reasonable number...?

D

Deleted member

I think it's the best idea so far to avoid the chances of a disappointing roster.

I think Sakurai will add some features such as customize character in 3DS. There is a possibility for it to be in the Wii U but it needs to be in the 3DS version since the 3DS is limited to 1 player. Any thoughts about the 3DS connectivity to the Wii U? I didn't see any post about it.
In the chance that we have lots of exclusives for both the 3DS and Wii-U, I was suggesting that we get to trade these characters to the Wii-U, but not everyone here likes the idea, but at least people are also siding with a water down 3DS roster of 30-35 characters and the Wii-U version getting 44+ character slots.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't think Iwata was specifically saying anything about the number of characters as much as he was commenting on his design philosophy. He doesn't "simply" want to add 50 characters, double the stage count, and call it a new game. He is thinking of ways to evolve and expand the series beyond just multiplying content.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
In the chance that we have lots of exclusives for both the 3DS and Wii-U, I was suggesting that we get to trade these characters to the Wii-U, but not everyone here likes the idea, but at least people are also siding with a water down 3DS roster of 30-35 characters and the Wii-U version getting 44+ character slots.
What im saying is even if i agreed with you being able to transfer 3ds exclusives but not vice versa would lead to a watered down 3ds version anyway

"He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance."

Brawl had 41 stages, so that'd be 82 if he doubled the amount. :p That'd be more than 64, Melee, and Brawl's stages combined, lol.

Would ~60 total be a reasonable number...?
He's exaggerating. There's no way he would do that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He's exaggerating. There's no way he would do that.
S'why I said "impossible" and asked if 60 would be a reasonable number. :V

...Has anyone come up with a complete potential stage list? I think I'm going to try that after some COIN BRAWLS, EFF YEAH.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The stage count will probably be close to the character count. Most characters usually have their own specific stage in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

The stage count will probably be close to the character count. Most characters usually have their own specific stage in Brawl.
In Brawl, it was slightly more then the slots. In a 44 character slot, we would see around 50 stages, which is good enough for me.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
What if smashers find out that there's no option to turn off items and individual stages.

SAKURAIIIII!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom