• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
He's owned by Rare which is now owned by Microsoft so it'd be pretty tough to get rights for him. Although he would be an amazing character for Smash. I love B&K. It's just too bad he's owned my Microsoft. If he's 1st party, he's definitely already in the game, he's got perfect move potential and he's 100% unique.
Not to mention B&K are kinda irrelevant now, seeing how Rare's been doing terribly lately. If they were still 2nd party to Nintendo, then yeah, I could see them happening. But where it stands now we have a better chance getting Master Chief, and that's not saying much.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention B&K are kinda irrelevant now, seeing how Rare's been doing terribly lately. If they were still 2nd party to Nintendo, then yeah, I could see them happening. But where it stands now we have a better chance getting Master Chief, and that's not saying much.
How so? Neither will come to Smash, but Banjo-Kazooie has at least been on Nintendo systems.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Actually I do have a question in regards to Rare. If Rare never went over to Microsoft, would it be considered 1st party or would it still be considered 3rd party? I don't know if Rare was a Nintendo exclusive company or if they had games for other consoles.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wasn't HAL a second party at some point?

Also Retro > Rare

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
He's owned by Rare which is now owned by Microsoft so it'd be pretty tough to get rights for him. Although he would be an amazing character for Smash. I love B&K. It's just too bad he's owned my Microsoft. If he's 1st party, he's definitely already in the game, he's got perfect move potential and he's 100% unique.
They could be on the 3DS version. Microsoft doesn't own the rights to B&K for handhelds.

Proof: microsoft owned the rights to them when Banjo-Pilot was out. Rare can go to whatever handheld they want as long as they made the characters.

And still wouldn't expect them.

Also Retro > Rare
WAT

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
How so? Neither will come to Smash, but Banjo-Kazooie has at least been on Nintendo systems.
Well, master chief is more recognizable today, and B&K hasn't seen a hit a long time now. Nuts and Bolts was a huge disappointment from what I heard. And since Rare is now owned by Microsoft, it doesn't really matter where their first games appeared in Nintendo consoles before: they still have to pay for the rights to use the characters. And forking out money for somewhat forgotten characters just seem like a bad investment to me (I really doubt Microsoft will come cheap and Nintendo will be willing to beg for them).

Actually I do have a question in regards to Rare. If Rare never went over to Microsoft, would it be considered 1st party or would it still be considered 3rd party? I don't know if Rare was a Nintendo exclusive company or if they had games for other consoles.
They were 2nd party, meaning that they were a company owned by Nintendo and developed exclusively for Nintendo. Just like Retro Studios is now.

Also Retro > Rare
I think HAL is still 2nd party. Sakurai just left.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Well, master chief is more recognizable today, and B&K hasn't seen a hit a long time now. Nuts and Bolts was a huge disappointment from what I heard. And since Rare is now owned by Microsoft, it doesn't really matter where their first games appeared in Nintendo consoles before: they still have to pay for the rights to use the characters. And forking out money for somewhat forgotten characters just seem like a bad investment to me

They were 2nd party, meaning that they were a company owned by Nintendo and developed exclusively for Nintendo. Just like Retro Studios is now.

I think HAL is still 2nd party. Sakurai just left.
Thanks for that.

In regards to Master Chief, BK is way more likely (not that there is much chance) than Master Chief because BK has been on Nintendo systems. At least that's what I think

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for that.

In regards to Master Chief, BK is way more likely (not that there is much chance) than Master Chief because BK has been on Nintendo systems. At least that's what I think
Yeah this since it is a requirement for the character to appear on a Nintendo console before they get in.

Also Retro > Rare
They are a 2nd party, like right now. ;)

They could be on the 3DS version. Microsoft doesn't own the rights to B&K for handhelds.

Proof: microsoft owned the rights to them when Banjo-Pilot was out. Rare can go to whatever handheld they want as long as they made the characters.

And still wouldn't expect them.

WAT
Yes they do.

No, that's proof that Microsoft still occasionally allows Rare to develop for handhelds because they don't own a handheld themselves and therefore aren't in direct competition.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Thanks for that.

Yes, but they still have to pay for the rights. I think that the likes of Sonic and Megaman will come in priority then Banjo at this point (Yes, they have to pay for Sonic again, this is a new game after all).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They are a 2nd party, like right now. ;)
If that's the case, then if Rare stayed with Nintendo/Nintendo didn't sell Rare we could have seen Banjo in Melee, and Grunty/Mumbo in Brawl xP How strange. By Brawl we could have had three Banjo characters. I think that's crazy. Hopefully Retro gets it's hands on some new IP that makes us go "Banjo who?"

D

Deleted member

what hasn't been mentioned in the last few days in this thread :s
We haven't talked about potential new modes for multi-player IIRC.
@Steam

Naruto?

*gets told naruto has been mentioned over 9,000 times*
This is actually the first time I've seen Naruto mentioned in this thread. Knew it was going to happen, thought.

*Goes back to working on a picture of his roster*

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
If that's the case, then if Rare stayed with Nintendo/Nintendo didn't sell Rare we could have seen Banjo in Melee, and Grunty/Mumbo in Brawl xP How strange. By Brawl we could have had three Banjo characters. I think that's crazy. Hopefully Retro gets it's hands on some new IP that makes us go "Banjo who?"
Actually Rare was still 2nd party to Nintendo when Melee came out. The reason why they weren't included eludes me.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
No you're right, however lets not start now. : P
:troll:

Just play Jump Ultimate Stars. :glare:
I don't care much about Naruto lol. I've always found it funny that someone would want Naruto in Smash.

This is actually the first time I've seen Naruto mentioned in this thread. Knew it was going to happen, thought.
:awesome:

Now let's leave it at this comment. "4th parties" are terrible topics. Always.

Always.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
On topic with B&K, though, it's a real bummer that Nintendo would have legal hassles if they ever tried to include B&K in Smash. B&K would just be too awesome in Smash.

edit: just for fun, do you think B&K's running move would be Banjo himself running or Kazooie carrying Banjo in his back like in the 64 games.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Probably because Nintendo didn't own the characters, and are only going to throw them in if they do. Otherwise, they would at least have had a trophy.
But they still needed to contact them to use DK's model. Remember, Rare created DKC's 3D models on the SNES and they owned them for quite a while. Just take a look at Smash 64 and Melee's credits toward's the end of the roll. Rare gets credited for DK.

On topic with B&K, though, it's a real bummer that Nintendo would have legal hassles if they ever tried to include B&K in Smash. B&K would just be too awesome in Smash.
Which is why we will never see them unfortunately, unless hell freezes over and Microsoft becomes extremely generous.

edit: just for fun, do you think B&K's running move would be Banjo himself running or Kazooie carrying Banjo in his back like in the 64 games.
Would have been funny to see Kazooie come out every time you ran.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Actually Rare was still 2nd party to Nintendo when Melee came out. The reason why they weren't included eludes me.
Me too, honestly that's absolutely insane. Banjo Twooie(Sp?) was one of the most sold N64 games ever. Do we know the exact year they left Nintendo? I know Banjo Threeie was shown in 2000 as a tech Demo, but they were sold before/during production. Maybe HAL/Sakurai already knew what was going on.

It's a shame really, Nuts and Bolts looks bad. I think Banjo had his best chances with Nintendo, where he actually fit in.

Probably because Nintendo didn't own the characters, and are only going to throw them in if they do. Otherwise, they would at least have had a trophy.
Well did Nintendo own Kirby? I thought he was owned by HAL, making him a second party character. Just like Banjo. . ? Right?

D

Deleted member

Me too, honestly that's absolutely insane. Banjo Twooie(Sp?) was one of the most sold N64 games ever. Do we know the exact year they left Nintendo? I know Banjo Threeie was shown in 2000 as a tech Demo, but they were sold before/during production. Maybe HAL/Sakurai already knew what was going on.

It's a shame really, Nuts and Bolts looks bad. I think Banjo had his best chances with Nintendo, where he actually fit in.
And if Banjo and his friends had been in Melee, do you think that Nintendo may have tried to keep the franchises represented? Donkey Kong and Star Fox had games developed by Rare and they stayed with Nintendo.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But they still needed to contact them to use DK's model. Remember, Rare created DKC's 3D models on the SNES and they owned them for quite a while. Just take a look at Smash 64 and Melee's credits toward's the end of the roll. Rare gets credited for DK.
They probably had to use assets from Rare, asked for them, used them, and then credited them. Also, DK, and the characters in his games belonged to Nintendo then, as they do now. BK and other Rare properties, clearly didn't though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And if Banjo and his friends had been in Melee, do you think that Nintendo may have tried to keep the franchises represented? Donkey Kong and Star Fox had games developed by Rare and they stayed with Nintendo.
Possibly, but I'm guessing that Banjo is a different case than those two. If everything went to plan Banjo would have had Threeie and possibly a Wii game maybe? I think that's enough to try and give him two characters. Banjo and Grunty?

Like SE, it seems Rare's relationship with Nintendo is shrouded in confusion.

Does/did Hal laboratories own rights to kirby?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well did Nintendo own Kirby? I thought he was owned by HAL, making him a second party character. Just like Banjo. . ? Right?
According to Wikipedia, HAL's first party.

Anyways, as far as I can tell, in certain cases (Like say Treasure and Sin & Punishment) Nintendo can request to have a game made for them by a second party, and hammer it out that the characters created in the game belong to Nintendo even if the second party goes away.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
According to Wikipedia, HAL's first party.

Anyways, as far as I can tell, in certain cases (Like say Treasure and Sin & Punishment) Nintendo can request to have a game made for them by a second party, and hammer it out that the characters created in the game belong to Nintendo even if the second party goes away.
I swear at one point HAL was a second party, and Kirby was. I could be very wrong though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like how K.rool's bloodshot eye switches eyes in half those pics
Just shows how much of a crazy mofo he really is.
Actually, the artworks are positioned incorrectly. They're supposed to look like the following...

Only K. Rool's left eye is bloodshot, but the SNES games did have sprite limitations.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure but I did remember Rare saying that they had a ton of trophies in Melee that were removed before the game shipped. All that was left was the motion sensing bomb and the cloaking device.

I swear at one point HAL was a second party, and Kirby was. I could be very wrong though.
I'm pretty sure this is the case too. Maybe Wikipedia is wrong?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Banjo&Kazooie would be AMAZING. If they got in Smash, my reaction would be the same as when I saw Diddy on the Dojo. A dream come true.

Just imagine...a bear in Smash...

EDIT: Partnered with a bird that rivals Falco in trashtalking.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Why do people keep denying Toads chances of getting in? He's way more likely than Bowser jr. or even a third party ugh as Megaman.

:phone:

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Why do people keep denying Toads chances of getting in? He's way more likely than Bowser jr. or even a third party ugh as Megaman.

Hey wait your turn! We're talking about Rare right now, we'll get back to the Toad/Bowser Jr debacle in a little bit. :p

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I have another idea for a character: Bandit from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. I think he'd be cool. This would be his moveset:

Neutral Special: Steal
Description: Bandit attempts to steal something from his opponent. If he gets a coin, he recovers a bit of 1 HP. If he gets a red coin, he recovers 5 HP. The chance of getting a red coin doesn't happen quite often.

Side Special: Watermelon
Description: Bandit eats a watermelon. The longer you hold the B Button, the more times he can use the projectile before having to eat more. He can't eat while airborne, but can fire projectiles in the air if he's got them. The projectile is different depending on which watermelon he eats. The seeds can be shot continuously. Bandit should flash white if it was a normal watermelon, red if it were a fire watermelon, and blue if it were an ice watermelon.

Up Special: Balloon
Description: Bandit take out a balloon and uses it to rise. It only does damage when it pops. The pop does medium damage and medium knockback.

Down Special: Bandit Bomb
Description: This works two ways: 1. For the ground one, loop frame 4 until he reaches the height of his jump: loop frame 8 until he hits the ground, then play the land. 2. For the air one, loop frame 5 until he hits the ground.

Final Smash- Bandit Balloon
Description: Bandit calls up to three other bandits to carry all the other players to a spot in front of Bandit, and Bandit throws a balloon. The Red Bandit chases P1, Blue chases P2, Yellow chases P3, Green chases P4. A series of six buttons appears in the command bar, and correctly pressing each one will make the balloon a little bigger. If an incorrect button is pressed or if time runs out, the balloon will stop growing and Bandit throws it. Use this video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1t6fz0jh2o

Bandit would make a cool character. Also notice that I changed my avatar. He sure would. Any thoughts?:awesome:

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I have another idea for a character: Bandit from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. I think he'd be cool. This would be his moveset:

Neutral Special: Steal
Description: Bandit attempts to steal something from his opponent. If he gets a coin, he recovers a bit of 1 HP. If he gets a red coin, he recovers 5 HP. The chance of getting a red coin doesn't happen quite often.

Side Special: Watermelon
Description: Bandit eats a watermelon. The longer you hold the B Button, the more times he can use the projectile before having to eat more. He can't eat while airborne, but can fire projectiles in the air if he's got them. The projectile is different depending on which watermelon he eats. The seeds can be shot continuously. Bandit should flash white if it was a normal watermelon, red if it were a fire watermelon, and blue if it were an ice watermelon.

Up Special: Balloon
Description: Bandit take out a balloon and uses it to rise. It only does damage when it pops. The pop does medium damage and medium knockback.

Down Special: Bandit Bomb
Description: This works two ways: 1. For the ground one, loop frame 4 until he reaches the height of his jump: loop frame 8 until he hits the ground, then play the land. 2. For the air one, loop frame 5 until he hits the ground.

Final Smash- Bandit Balloon
Description: Bandit calls up to three other bandits to carry all the other players to a spot in front of Bandit, and Bandit throws a balloon. The Red Bandit chases P1, Blue chases P2, Yellow chases P3, Green chases P4. A series of six buttons appears in the command bar, and correctly pressing each one will make the balloon a little bigger. If an incorrect button is pressed or if time runs out, the balloon will stop growing and Bandit throws it. Use this video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1t6fz0jh2o

Bandit would make a cool character. Also notice that I changed my avatar. He sure would. Any thoughts?:awesome:
He is a cool character but unfortunately he is also generic enemy character so the only hope for him would be to be a enemy in adventure mode.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Guys I know I'm jumping off the boat here, but imagine an alternative 'minigame' where you could basically run around in a 3D stage with Ray guns and a few other items shooting and attacking at eachother much like a shooter ;). But, that's possibly not gonna happen.

They should really add minigames similar to those of Polemon stadium, with a whole new interference rather than just attacking targets and sandbags.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It's not that I don't like Toad. It's just that Bowser Jr. has had more mainstream fame than Toad nowadays. Plus, another antagonistic character is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom