• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
No

MK > 2 MKs = Truth

Like 2 snakes, 2 MKs are dangerous.... To each other.

I just started with him but he rocks.

Frank/Joe + Roll/Megaman

L-M-H-3H-L-M-M-8-M-626 M-236 ATK+ATK. Only thing I know so far.
I've tried teaming up Roll and Volnut since I've gotten good with both of them, but I don't find them to be a very relliable team.

Instead I have Saki to back up Volnutt, and Doronjo to team up with Roll. Much more effective combinations to me. :D

Why was Ganny so bad in Brawl, anyways (yes, I know, that's somewhat subjective)?

Was he hurt by the new physics like Falcon was?
I think Ganny sucks because of the lack of cancelling, mostly. His lack of double jump refresh through down-b, and they've pretty much slowed every move down a bit.

Falcon is another story. To me, it seems as if his hitboxes are as thick as a needle in Brawl. Snake, who has the same body structure, has a hitbox of pretty much his whole size.

I've tried teaming up Roll and Volnut since I've gotten good with both of them, but I don't find them to be a very relliable team.

Instead I have Saki to back up Volnutt, and Doronjo to team up with Roll. Much more effective combinations to me. :D
I meant, Frank or Joe + Roll or Mega Man or any combination.

Roll + Megaman isn't that "effective". Zero rules but I find Roll to be more fun to play as

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I meant, Frank or Joe + Roll or Mega Man or any combination.

Roll + Megaman isn't that "effective". Zero rules but I find Roll to be more fun to play as

Roll is definitely the most fun character to use. Though Megaman also is, with his whole weapon switching mechanic. Some serious mindgame potential.

Roll is definitely the most fun character to use. Though Megaman also is, with his whole weapon switching mechanic. Some serious mindgame potential.
YES. Roll is ****ing awesome. She's not a joke now. She's more of a monster especially in ground combos

Actually, the only moves I use with Megaman are:
Machine gun
Super machine gun hyper
Mega buster

I use his shield sometimes but, I'm not good with Megaman when it comes to close range. Frank is actually fun and easy to pick up in my opinion.

Then again, I kind of reminded you a lot of times before but I sent you an invite.

I dislike Roll hitbox and little characters in general (Arthur, Joe)

combos dropped everywhere

I wanna try West in either TvC or UMvC3 ever since I've seen this vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hWQYl3EqE
I don't like Viewtiful Joe but I'm fine with Arthur and Roll.

My mains in all fighting games:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Snake
Marvel vs Capcom 3: Chris, Arthur, Dormammu
Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Frank West, Mega Man
Super SF IV/Street Fighter IV: Dhalsim
Dissidia/Dissidia 012: Terra

Notice something similar?

Thino

Smash Master

you're a zoner

the only game I've been a zoner in is Blazblue with Lambda/Nu

Zoning is awesome

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wait, are we actually talking about competitive aspects?

LET'S GO!

Zoning da bess, I still have SF video about zoning stuck in my head.

D

Deleted member

Did Super Smash Bros. Brawl ever receive any commercials? I never saw one, so I'm shocked at how well it did.

:phone:

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I did. As I said, I don't care how it's brought back. It's something that's fun. Is it linear? Yes. But is it fun? Definitely.
I'm not arguing over whether Race to the Finish was fun or not if it should return. It should, because it was fun.

I brought this up a few pages back, but it was at the end of the page and in the middle of another debate. It got kind of passed over. Any positive or negative opinions on Zip as a ssb4 character? What about a Fling Smash stage?
Eh, I just haven't seen enough potential from Zip yet to make him interesting.

I could see Zip as a cool Assist Trophy though. He would just pinball about the stage enveloped in flames.

Did Super Smash Bros. Brawl ever receive any commercials? I never saw one, so I'm shocked at how well it did.
I think that Brawl's commercials were mainly small clips of gameplay distributed online through the Wii's eShop. There might have been a TV commercial, but I never saw one or heard of one.

LOL, he actually has an attack called that? :laugh:
Nope. I forgot the name.
Wait, are we actually talking about competitive aspects?

LET'S GO!

Zoning da bess, I still have SF video about zoning stuck in my head.
Zoning for pros.

Me and Kuma came up with an idea about a "smash meter" and tried to make it not "street fighter" at all. Anyway, here's the conversation:

KumaOso said:
berserker01 said:
My ideas for SSB 4 (WARNING! May have too much street fighter I think...) - Uses Wii U controller layout:

Smash meter : Smash meter has a lot of purposes. It contains 3 bars. At the start of a match, you start with 0 bars. You can increase it by damaging the enemy or KOing one. Increasing can also vary depending on the damage input and KOing the enemy increases 1 1/2 bar in your smash meter.

-------------------------------------------

1.) Defend - Command : RZ button (Requires 0 bars)

Defending is different from shield. Defending is using the character's bare arms to block the attack. Doing this will decrease 1/8 of the damage (If there's a decimal, round off to the nearest ones). It's lightning quick and it's extremely convinient since it doesn't have a limit. You can cancel rolling or dodging animations into defend. You can also change the direction of defending. Left and right to switch facing, Down to defend lower and Up to defend higher. Low attacks can break through high defends and high attacks can break through low defends. You can also defend in the air but you can't change your direction.

2.) Combo follow up - Command : Forward + X button (Requires 1/2 bar)

The combo button is used to extend your combos. After doing any attack, click X to use another sort of unfound combo to deal more damage. It can't be done in the air.

3.) Air follow up - Command : X during hit that knocks upwards (Requires 1/2 bar)

Click X on hit. You will quickly jump towards the enemy and do a 4 hit combo. You can end it sideways, upwards or downwards by flicking the smash stick. You can also interrupt the combo with an aerial attack by inputting up,down,left or right + attack.

4.) Smash special - Command : (X + B) + Any direction (Requires 1 bar)

Once you do this, you will execute an upgraded version of the normal special attack.

5.) Super smash attack - Command : (X+A) + Any direction with L analog or (X+R analog at any direction) (Requires 1 bar)

Once you do this, you will execute an upgraded version of the normal smash attack.

6.) Auto - cancel - Comand : X+LZ or LB (Requires 1 bar)

Once you do this, the move you were executing will be cancelled.

7.) Quick dash - Command: X + L analog at any direction (Requires 2 bars)

The character will quickly dash forward (2 stage builder blocks) while being invulnerable to any attack. You can cancel the quick dash with any attack. You cannot do this in the air.

8.) Additional jump - Command: X + Y (Requires 2 bars)

The character will jump..... Even after a recovery, 2 jumps, 5 mid air jumps... He'll still jump upwards.

8.) Shield up! - Command : X + LZ (Requires 3 bars)

The character will use his bubble shield BUT it will stay with him. He can do anything while the bubble shield is around him. He can attack, move, grab, etc. If the enemy breaks the shield, nothing will happen BUT if you bubble shield again, your shield is smaller now. You'll have to wait for it to regenerate again. It disappears after 7 seconds of use.

Any review, criticism, advice or idea?
It's a bit too Street Fighter in the sense that this wouldn't quite work right in Smash. Let's try to make some changes to what you have.

Blocking:
This one's fine as it is, but are you sure you didn't mean that the chip damage is only 1/8th of the original attack?

Combo Followup:
I can see this being very stupid when someone has full meter. This and the aerial versions are not needed IMO. Instead, having normals on A, X, and Y while having chains like in most fighters would be the better option.

Smash Special:
I see that you're trying to get EX moves, but here's something that might be better. With the above normals, make it where B, A+B, and X+B while Y+B gives you the EX version.

Super Smash Attack:
Not necessary.

Auto-Cancel:
Sounds like the Roman Canceling in Guilty Gear. Here though, I think it should be made clearer. Canceling into special moves from normals (unless specified otherwise) should be a free thing. I don't know of any particular fighting games that have a cost to basic canceling.

However, this could be used to cancel out of specials and uncancelable normals to make it safe of extend combos.

Quick Dash:
I think you're better off making attacks specifically with a similar purpose in mind. In other games, you have moves where they do stuff like go under projectiles, or have invincibility on EX versions.

Additional Jump:
IDK. I would personally test this one out before making any final decisions.

Shield Up!:
I'd rather it be more like the current Smash version, but much quicker in terms of startup and recovery to the point where they're instant.

Overall, here's what I have in mind:

Normals are on A, X, and Y. You can chain these together to allow for combos.
Specials are done with B, A+B, and X+B, giving you three versions of a special, or possibly even three different specials on the same input (MvC3 is a good example of this). Y+B will give you Super Specials.
Certain moves will have DI properties, unlike before, not every move has this property.

Normals and select specials can have its recovery canceled out with Auto-Cancel and/or jump canceling.

New button inputs.

A: L Attack
X: M Attack
Y: Heavy Attack
B: Light special, combine with A and X for stronger specials.
C-Stick: No longer used.
L: Short Hop; do B+L for a normal jump.
R: Block; do R+B for Shield.
KumaOso said:
Blocking:
Just making sure.

Super Smash Attack:
I just feel they really wouldn't stick out or anything. It just seems tacked on more than anything else.

Auto-Cancel:
In Guilty Gear, you can cancel the recovery of moves with Roman Canceling. And act as if nothing happened. False Roman Canceling, IIRC, allowed you to cancel on startup so you had feints. I could be wrong though on how these work, but this should get the point across. In Smash, it should just be where recovery gets canceled.

Quick Dash:
Then make some, lol. That, or give attacks that kind of property. A character that comes to mind is Fox with his Fox Illusion or Lucario's Down B.

Shield Up!:
No. I just meant reduce the startup and recovery on shielding to where it's seamless like in other fighting games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just don't understand where that conclusion comes from. Yes, Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong represent their own spin-offs because they made a name for themselves (Though Yoshi is a bit arguable, lol). However, with Paper Mario, it's still a MARIO spin-off, where MARIO is the main character.

So, I mean, his franchise is still the Mario franchise. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS POINT ANNOYS ME SO MUCH, SINCE ALL IT AMOUNTS TO IS WHAT SYMBOL HE'S ASSIGNED. But man. It does. Mario Kart is Mario. Luigi's Mansion is Mario. The only thing that makes people think Paper Mario wouldn't be Mario is because it has a different art style.

...To a lesser extent I think Tingle representing "Rupeeland" is silly, but at least a case could be made there.

Could just be making an *** of myself, but oh well.
Donkey Kong is in NO way a spin off from Mario, not since DKC anyways.

As for a new Mario character, I'm cool with anything they would bring. As long as it isn't damn Dr.Mario again. Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi or Paper Mario would all be good unique choices.

Donkey Kong is in NO way a spin off from Mario, not since DKC anyways.

Ironically, the first game was Donkey Kong but in the end, Mario became the star.

Um... I'm not even sure if the DK universe is a separate series from Mario or not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ironically, the first game was Donkey Kong but in the end, Mario became the star.

Um... I'm not even sure if the DK universe is a separate series from Mario or not.
Well, you see Mario playable or even in any DKC game lately? (not counting the brief cameo in the end of DKC2, but Link and Yoshi are there to)

Well, you see Mario playable or even in any DKC game lately? (not counting the brief cameo in the end of DKC2, but Link and Yoshi are there to)

No but what's making me wonder is that DK was playable in some mario games BUT then again, I think DK is more of an individual series rather than a spin off since I don't see any Mario characters in it.

Toad Brigade has reached 30 members. Lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I'll analyze myself as well.

Brawl: ROB, Sonic (masters at recovery?)
Melee: Luigi, Ice Climbers (suckage at recovery XD)
SSB: Ness, Samus (spike FTW)
TMNT:Smash Up: Leonardo, Karai (..Rivalry/love interests?)
TvC: Megaman+Saki, Roll+Doronjo (Spammers & Blondes)
SSF4: Guile, Dudley
MvC3: Spencer,Haggar, Tron
KOF: King, Mai, Vice
GG: Venom
BB: Hakumen
Soul Calibur: Kilik

Ok I like zoning as well since I suck at combos, but I have to have at LEAST one good comboing character just for pride. :p

@berserker01: Sorry for the late join. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Really? You've never seen one?

If so then right now go look up the Smash 64 commercial. It is by far the best commercial Nintendo has ever done.

Melee, I didn't really care for it, it seemed to be trying to appeal to older gamers, it's the worst of the 3.

Brawl, it's one of those, "Wii would like to play" ones. It's cute.

Ok I like zoning as well since I suck at combos, but I have to have at LEAST one good comboing character just for pride. :p

It's alright.

About the mains, Wait first...

Super Smash Bros. 64 - Link
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Link

Zonin' rules. I'm decent at combos but I'm used to zoning

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Brawl: Zero Suit Samus, occasionally Peach
Melee: Peach
SSB: Link
SSF4: Adon, Juri for fun
MvC3: Felicia, X-23, Trish (sometimes i put Morrigan... for sex appeal)
KOF: Yuri Sakazaki, Vanessa, Geese Howard (leader) (yuri spams her Haoh Shou Kouken, really love Vanessa as a character, and Geese is a beast)
Soul Calibur: Cassandra

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Don't forget sonic's shoes :p
And EarthWorm Jim's gun.

Street Fighter 2: E. Honda
Super Smash Bros.: Mario
Super Smash Bros. Melee: Dr. Mario
Soul Calibur 3: Link, Voldo
DBZ Budokai 3: Majin Buu, Super Buu, Kid Buu, Cooler
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Diddy K (all day), Donkey Kong (he's improved since Melee), Luigi (he's improved as well), Link (another improvement), Wario, Wolf, Olimar
Soul Calibur 4: Voldo
Street Fighter 4: El Fuerte

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You'll see the trend in my picks real fast.

SSB: Fox, Ness
SSBM: Fox, Peach, Sheik, and Ness
Brawl: Lucas, Zamus, Pit (I wouldn't even count this game).
SFIV - El Fuerte, Ibuki for a time.
Tekken 3, 4, and 6 - Xiaoyu, want to learn Leo and Alisa
Soul Calibur 2 - Link, Talim
TvC - Doronjo/Chun-Li - Again, wouldn't really count this one.
MvC3 - She-Hulk/Ammy/Tron, Jill/Wesker/??? (Never decided on this one).
Blazblue - Platinum, Makoto, Tao and Boobie Lady for a while.

So, back to the discussion berserker and I had. The funny thing is that the meter costs are more akin to Street Fighter x Tekken than typical Street Fighter.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You know after taking some serious sitting down time. I want combos in this game but I don't want it to be like Melee combos anymore. I really do hope it's in between Brawl and Melee, because I really enjoy the mind aspect of brawl but I also like the technicality aspect of Melee.

Maybe reads should be a little bit more rewarding in this game, but combos are at most 2-3 combos that lead to advantageous positions to continue strings and such.

Thino

Smash Master

Brawl : Lucario (short range)
Melee : Falcon (short range , fast)
SSB : Pikachu (short range, fast)
SF2 : Blanka ( mashing Y, electricity, pikachu?)
MK2 : Liu Kang ( spamming that leg move)
Killer Instinct : Sabrewulf (furry)
Tekken : Jack-2 (robot)
MK3 : Sub-Zero ( ZONING ????)
Dead or Alive : Kasumi ( BOOBS??)
TvC: Jun the Swan/Chun-li ( horrendous synergy)
MvC3: Ammy/Felicia/Chun (horrendous synergy/furry)
Blazblue : Nu/Lambda (Zoning/robot)
Melty Blood : C-Mech Hisui (zoning/robot)
Rival Schools : Shoma/Daigo (Long range/short range)
Soul Edge : Siegfried (long *** range)
Soul Calibur : Siegfried (long *** range)
SC2 : Talim (wtf short range?)
DBZ Budokai 2 : Piccolo
DBZ BT3 : Android 17

I guess I'm STARTING to like zoning since Blazblue and Melty are my most recent FGs

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's actually where my suggestion of only certain moves having DI comes in. You can have some bigger combos, but to really put in damage, you have to use DI moves/resets. For example, Fox could do a standard ground to air-combo, but that scales pretty badly so to do more damage, you gotta do stuff like jump cancels and other things to get damage quicker via mixups.

I'm starting to like footsies and zoning as well. In the past, more characters of that type didn't appeal to me, but now there are characters like Trish and Phoenix Wright that make it look cooler.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That's actually where my suggestion of only certain moves having DI comes in. You can have some bigger combos, but to really put in damage, you have to use DI moves/resets. For example, Fox could do a standard ground to air-combo, but that scales pretty badly so to do more damage, you gotta do stuff like jump cancels and other things to get damage quicker via mixups.
So what you are saying is only certain moves should be able to be DI'd? Hmmm I wouldn't mind trying that out, but keep SDI'ing in everything just to add a little difficulty for both players.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Remind me of what SDI is again? Also, what I had in mind is that mixups were not only from DI, but from a high-low mixup game, hence the jump canceling. Your opponent has to guess between an instant overhead with NAir or a grab or a crossup with NAir or DTilt into another combo.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
My mind is blurry on exactly what footsies are. Mind refreshing me?

Also SDI is movement you can make your character do before flying off from an attack.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I thought that's what DI was essentially.

Footsies is basically the mid-range game. It's when people walk back and forth trying to get an opening by throwing in pokes and feints.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Then, I'd probably just keep SDI instead of DI. Instead of DI, I'd change that to air teching since that's what it is for the most part. Keep things less confusing for newer players and and makes mixups quicker to adapt to.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There would be an animation for it. It could have an audio cue ala BB or something you have to watch better like in Marvel.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Posting what characters you use? I might as well join in:

Brawl: Pikachu, Snake, Olimar,
Melee: Roy, Mario,
64: Pikachu, Ness
MvC2: MM/Venom/Sakura,
MvC3: Haggar/Zero/??? (still working on it and am taking suggestions)
TvC: Frank/Zero
Soul Calibur: Cassandra, Sophitia,
SF2: Ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom