• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I say Saki and Ray MK have the best chances, honestly. The first two are interesting, but I don't see them having a moveset that doesn't feel kind of meh.

As for Gray Fox, I'd rather have no extra 3rd slots for the same series. If it's a different series from the same company, I'm okay with it. Simon Belmont for Smash!
From the looks of it, I'd say Saki's chances are a bit higher due to relevancy, Ray MK is a good choice but just doesn't have what it takes to make it in, he needs "a push" like a new game soon or sudden demand, which in both cases I doubt that happening.

Simon Belmont is good, no great, but I believe Snake will likely to as Konami's rep if Kojima wants him in a second time, Gray Fox was just for lulz, I prefer Liquid Snake, or.....maybe not, just as an Adventure Mode Boss with REX would be epic indeed.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
HMMM. Drill is close enough to chainsaw, I suppose. COOL.

Also I'm going to agree with ChronoBound that Paper Mario isn't clone material.
Are you insane OASIS? Please... PLEASE TELL ME WHYYYY.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From the looks of it, I'd say Saki's chances are a bit higher due to relevancy, Ray MK is a good choice but just doesn't have what it takes to make it in, he needs "a push" like a new game soon or sudden demand, which in both cases I doubt that happening.

Simon Belmont is good, not great, but I believe Snake will likely to as Konami's rep if Kojima wants him in a second time, Gray Fox was just for lulz, I prefer Liquid Snake, or.....maybe not, just as an Adventure Mode Boss with REX would be epic indeed.

That's true. Saki just got a new game and all. Although popularity does play a role here and there.

And it all depends how many companies approach Sakurai. If none do, Simon's a fairly good choice overall, since the company's in good graces with Sakurai already. I still except MegaMan, but I except more than 1 new 3rd party.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Are you insane OASIS? Please... PLEASE TELL ME WHYYYY.
Paper Mario would have a completely different bone structure and method of animation. To get him to work like Mario would probably involve MORE effort than just making him unique.

I also don't think Sakurai is an idiot. Ganondorf at least was a victim of circumstance.

OmegaXXII

That's true. Saki just got a new game and all. Although popularity does play a role here and there.

And it all depends how many companies approach Sakurai. If none do, Simon's a fairly good choice overall, since the company's in good graces with Sakurai already. I still except MegaMan, but I except more than 1 new 3rd party.
True, Megaman without a doubt is the most likely 3rd party to have a realistic shot at it, he's had alot of history with Nintendo as well, Dragon Quest is meh...I feel there something from Square that might brew up, I don't know, I also feel Ryu from Capcom might be a possibility over Megaman if they choose to rep him instead, it could happen given Capcom is giving off the appearance of "ignoring" Megaman, but then again it could all be a publicity stunt so maybe....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Paper Mario would have a completely different bone structure and method of animation. To get him to work like Mario would probably involve MORE effort than just making him unique.

I also don't think Sakurai is an idiot. Ganondorf at least was a victim of circumstance.
I don't think they would be that different in terms of bone structure. That's REALLY subjective as well, I mean, you have no idea how sakurai would make him look.

Ganondorf IS a victum of circumstance, but Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link, and Brawl Ganondorf are not. None of them should be clones, BUT GIRLLLL THEY ARE. Just like Paper Mario would be. Please tell me a moment where Sakurai hasn't made a similar character a clone? When has he ever made an ALT. reality character a non-clone? Never. Young, Toon and Doc have all been clones.

You and Chrono aren't looking at Sakurai's patterns, just hoping for the best and saying "Well Sakurai COULD do it this way". Sakurai COULD, but the past says he doesn't.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True, Megaman without a doubt is the most likely 3rd party to have a realistic shot at it, he's had alot of history with Nintendo as well, Dragon Quest is meh...I feel there something from Square that might brew up, I don't know, I also feel Ryu from Capcom might be a possibility over Megaman if they choose to rep him instead, it could happen given Capcom is giving off the appearance of "ignoring" Megaman, but then again it could all be a publicity stunt so maybe....

I'd be interesting in a Square-Enix rep. But the choices aren't beyond high for really good ones.

As for Capcom, keep Ryu away from the series, honestly. Not because I don't like the character, but we don't honestly need him. MegaMan fits in overall better, has actually had better history with Nintendo(he was in the Captain N show, afterall, and so was Pit, notably), and frankly is a less shoehorned character. Plus, unlike with Street Fighter, MegaMan's various list of games weren't just basically slightly different updates.

I don't hate Street Fighter, but I just don't believe they should mix. That, and if Capcom UK is any indication, they'd rather have MegaMan or Bison than Ryu. That link still made me laugh.

OmegaXXII

I'd be interesting in a Square-Enix rep. But the choices aren't beyond high for really good ones.

As for Capcom, keep Ryu away from the series, honestly. Not because I don't like the character, but we don't honestly need him. MegaMan fits in overall better, has actually had better history with Nintendo(he was in the Captain N show, afterall, and so was Pit, notably), and frankly is a less shoehorned character. Plus, unlike with Street Fighter, MegaMan's various list of games weren't just basically slightly different updates.

I don't hate Street Fighter, but I just don't believe they should mix. That, and if Capcom UK is any indication, they'd rather have MegaMan or Bison than Ryu. That link still made me laugh.
Yeah, thing is; Capcom really wouldn't hesistate to include Ryu regardless what the fans want, I mean look at UMvC3, people were demanding for Megaman the most, yet look what happened, ******* straight up ignored him as if he never existed and even went so far as to put in PW and that raccoon over him.

Also, given the fact that both the smash community and Street Fighter fanbase seems to "look down" at us I'd say it would be pretty insulting if their Ryu got in over our wanted Megaman, honestly it's time to give Ryu a break from the spotlight, Megaman DESPERATLY needs it, he's been lacking it very recently and Smash Bros. would be the perfect game for his fanbase to rise up with optimism about his currently situation at hand, sometimes I wish Ifaune would have taken Megaman with him from that greedy corporate that is Capcom.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I don't think Paper Mario would be a clone. He is Mario in name alone. His method of animation, his size, even the way he moves is completely different from Mario. I just can't even picture some of Mario's moves being possible with Paper Mario's animation style and physics.

In fact, I think Paper Mario would be considered a separate franchise (ie, separate icon). Sakurai has historically considered Mario spin-offs to be separate. Yoshi and Wario (especially Yoshi) are much closer related to Mario than Paper Mario is, and they are both considered separate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, thing is; Capcom really wouldn't hesistate to include Ryu regardless what the fans want, I mean look at UMvC3, people were demanding for Megaman the most, yet look what happened, ******* straight up ignored him as if he never existed and even went so far as to put in PW and that raccoon over him.

Also, given the fact that both the smash community and Street Fighter fanbase seems to "look down" at us I'd say it would be pretty insulting if their Ryu got in over our wanted Megaman, honestly it's time to give Ryu a break from the spotlight, Megaman DESPERATLY needs it, he's been lacking it very recently and Smash Bros. would be the perfect game for his fanbase to rise up with optimism about his currently situation at hand, sometimes I wish Ifaune would have taken Megaman with him from that greedy corporate that is Capcom.

As do I. Although I'm fine with most of the additions to UMvC3. I just don't believe Nemesis should ever get in over MEGAMAN.

And frankly, he can not only be original, but he has a large potential for a great moveset, tons of costumes(recolors, alternate ones like X, etc.). I hope Irafune heads over to Sakurai. In fact, he might just do that to spite Capcom. At this point, I think they're just going to stop making MegaMan stuff. They only have one of his games coming out. And I doubt we'll be getting any new Starforce games or MegaMan 11 at this point. Which is honestly dissapointing. Sadly, I think Sakurai could do him justice better than Capcom can in MvC really. I bet he could NOT make him a Shotoclone.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFP45sAXSpg

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Hirari: Sakura Samurai, the newly announced 3DSWare game is supposedly a sequel to Nazo no Murasame-jo (Takamaru's game). If this is true, then he is the most likely rep now. Sakurai has said in the past that if he got a new game he would put him in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think they would be that different in terms of bone structure. That's REALLY subjective as well, I mean, you have no idea how sakurai would make him look.
I guess it is a bit of an assumption, but I'm trying to look at how Paper Mario is actually created in his games. He's a collection of about 8 or 9 planes with sprites as their textures. All of them are somehow made so they act as one plane, so that they can all move together to give the effect of twisting and folding and JUNK. So yes, I think the bone structure would be very different since it's not your typical 3D model. You don't need, like, a shoulder joint because the arm and body aren't actually connected. THE POINT IS, it would not be possible to just alter Mario's animations. No doubt, he'd have to create them all from scratch, so making unique animations would take the same effort as recreating Mario's animations. It may take MORE effort to try and create Mario's animations, since Paper Mario himself wouldn't be designed to do the same sorts of things Mario could do.

Ganondorf IS a victum of circumstance, but Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link, and Brawl Ganondorf are not. None of them should be clones, BUT GIRLLLL THEY ARE. Just like Paper Mario would be. Please tell me a moment where Sakurai hasn't made a similar character a clone? When has he ever made an ALT. reality character a non-clone? Never. Young, Toon and Doc have all been clones.
First off, Falco and Toon Link are in the same boat as Ganondorf since they too were cursed by Melee. They weren't intended to be in Melee, and are only in because of characters with similar body structures. Wolf and Lucas are original characters as far as I'm concerned, so I can't agree with you on that. NOW, I would agree that Sakurai is a bit of an idiot for having Brawl Ganondorf, Falco, and Toon Link the same as they were in Melee. BUT AT LEAST, that comes from him not wanting to alienate players. Which sucks, but whatever.

You and Chrono aren't looking at Sakurai's patterns, just hoping for the best and saying "Well Sakurai COULD do it this way". Sakurai COULD, but the past says he doesn't.
Only Wolf and Lucas would apply to Paper Mario's situation, so at the very least Paper Mario MAY have similar specials. I guess in your opinion that WOULD make him a clone as you define it, but in my opinion your opinion is that of a silly goose so I guess we can just leave it at that.

In fact, I think Paper Mario would be considered a separate franchise (ie, separate icon). Sakurai has historically considered Mario spin-offs to be separate. Yoshi and Wario (especially Yoshi) are much closer related to Mario than Paper Mario is, and they are both considered separate.
No.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Toon Link and Dr. Mario aren't considered different franchises from their mother series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I guess it is a bit of an assumption, but I'm trying to look at how Paper Mario is actually created in his games. He's a collection of about 8 or 9 planes with sprites as their textures. All of them are somehow made so they act as one plane, so that they can all move together to give the effect of twisting and folding and JUNK. So yes, I think the bone structure would be very different since it's not your typical 3D model. You don't need, like, a shoulder joint because the arm and body aren't actually connected. THE POINT IS, it would not be possible to just alter Mario's animations. No doubt, he'd have to create them all from scratch, so making unique animations would take the same effort as recreating Mario's animations. It may take MORE effort to try and create Mario's animations, since Paper Mario himself wouldn't be designed to do the same sorts of things Mario could do.
At worst, it would take equal effort. Not more. The point is, you don't know what Sakurai is thinking or how he would go about implementing PM. How do you not know that Sakurai just IN GENERAL considers Paper Mario, Mario that's Paper? If that's how he thinks, clone time. BUT THIS PART OF THE DISCUSSION IS ALL GUESSWORK. ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

First off, Falco and Toon Link are in the same boat as Ganondorf since they too were cursed by Melee. They weren't intended to be in Melee, and are only in because of characters with similar body structures. Wolf and Lucas are original characters as far as I'm concerned, so I can't agree with you on that. NOW, I would agree that Sakurai is a bit of an idiot for having Brawl Ganondorf, Falco, and Toon Link the same as they were in Melee. BUT AT LEAST, that comes from him not wanting to alienate players. Which sucks, but whatever.
Okay, I don't care how much you think Wolf and Lucas are there own characters, they aren't. Not until they lose the B-Moves. We just will not agree on that. The point is, LOOK AT THE CHARACTERS WHO ARE EVEN SORT OF SIMILAR, he makes them clones. You're trying to predict something that has never happened before, something that goes against what HAS happened. Falco, Ganon, and all the other clones in Brawl had their chance to become full-fledged characters, why didn't they? Because Sakurai likes clones. He likes how they "put a twist" on an original moveset, or something along those lines. HE LOVES HIM SOME CLONES. Paper Mario, is clone material. It's like saying this. I love chocolate chip cookies, and I have the ingrediants to make all kinds of cookies, but I almost always make chocolate chip. Why would you guess the next batch of cookies I make is going to be snickerdoodle? When the past says I love me some chocolate chip?

Why do you hate the chips Oasis? Why?

Only Wolf and Lucas would apply to Paper Mario's situation, so at the very least Paper Mario MAY have similar specials. I guess in your opinion that WOULD make him a clone as you define it, but in my opinion your opinion is that of a silly goose so I guess we can just leave it at that.
Well there you go. I'm right. He would have "Paper Fireball", some form of upper jumpy thing. Look at Weegee. He has those moves. I SUPPOSE, we are both right by definition differences. I like me some non-B move characters, you don't care. We define clones differently.

I think you're predictions are silly goose worthy. I'M MAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
MORE ACCURATELY: They would be chocolate chip cookies with nuts in them or something. But I don't care for those so let's go back to preferring Bowser Junioreos.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we are going to have cookies with nuts in them, they better be macadamia nuts.

I don't want any almonds or **** like that

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
MORE ACCURATELY: They would be chocolate chip cookies with nuts in them or something. But I don't care for those so let's go back to preferring Bowser Junioreos.
Good. I'm sick of nuts.

Paper Mario....the more I discuss characters on this site the more I begin to hate them...Sakurai is KILLING the fan in me.

I actually think Junior would play the most interesting out of all three of them, even if he's a semi clone.

Psycho gets no cookies. I'm only making almond Mexican wedding cookies~

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If we are going to have cookies with nuts in them, they better be macadamia nuts.

I don't want any almonds or **** like that
Fun fact: I typed almonds first but thought "no, that's dumb."

I'd put chunks of wood in your cookie. The pain of the splinters would remind you of your One Who Almost Was.

Or something.

SHORTIE what cookie would Krystal be? Something minty...?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Other than macadamia and almonds, I couldn't think of any other nut commonly put into cookies.

Peanut, but that isn't a real nut.

I'd rather have Waluigi than Bowser Jr

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal would be something tasty like a Thin Mint/Chocolate Mint cookie. The rest of the StarFox crew would be variations of Oatmeal cookies. Falco would be Oatmeal Raisin(The thing that makes him unique is what people hate about him) And wolf would be a Chocolate Chip Oatmeal.

RIDEly, would be a monster cookie, because I really wish I had one of those right now. And Toad would be shortbread cookies, because I have WAY too many of those right now, and I'm so sick of them.

Layton would be a poop cookie, because I'm just not baking that. It's not happening.

Waluigi would be a black and white cookie, because that's how obvious his importance is.

FINE. We get no Mario newcomers. No one can decide on one, so we're going with EITHER GENO, or A WARIOWARE.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nooo... but... I was going to say "Waluigi is poop. Why would you bring poop into a cookie discussion."

GOODNESS THIS COOKIE DISCUSSION IS MAKING ME HUNGRY.

Also, Mach Rider cookies would be great since, IF YOU DROPPED ONE, it would reform itself in your mouth.

ALSOOO, it's good that Krystal is minty since she left a bad taste in ChronoBound's mouth. :troll: Probably Arcadenik and SmashChu too.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mach Rider cookies sound dangerous... if you drop like six, you die.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Huh? I'm pretty certain if he gets in he'll rep his own franchise...

But then again, what the hell do I know? I'm just a newbie :urg:
I just don't understand where that conclusion comes from. Yes, Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong represent their own spin-offs because they made a name for themselves (Though Yoshi is a bit arguable, lol). However, with Paper Mario, it's still a MARIO spin-off, where MARIO is the main character.

So, I mean, his franchise is still the Mario franchise. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS POINT ANNOYS ME SO MUCH, SINCE ALL IT AMOUNTS TO IS WHAT SYMBOL HE'S ASSIGNED. But man. It does. Mario Kart is Mario. Luigi's Mansion is Mario. The only thing that makes people think Paper Mario wouldn't be Mario is because it has a different art style.

...To a lesser extent I think Tingle representing "Rupeeland" is silly, but at least a case could be made there.

Could just be making an *** of myself, but oh well.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Look at that guy up there thumbing down. Weirdo.

I think it's between Toad, Junior, and Paper Mario for a reason. Best-case scenario for the three, I THINK, would be Toad being playable, Junior as an Assist Trophy at best, and Paper Mario getting a stage.

UNFORTUNATELY SO @ Toad and Junior's prospects.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I just don't understand where that conclusion comes from. Yes, Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong represent their own spin-offs because they made a name for themselves (Though Yoshi is a bit arguable, lol). However, with Paper Mario, it's still a MARIO spin-off, where MARIO is the main character.

So, I mean, his franchise is still the Mario franchise. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS POINT ANNOYS ME SO MUCH, SINCE ALL IT AMOUNTS TO IS WHAT SYMBOL HE'S ASSIGNED. But man. It does. Mario Kart is Mario. Luigi's Mansion is Mario. The only thing that makes people think Paper Mario wouldn't be Mario is because it has a different art style.

...To a lesser extent I think Tingle representing "Rupeeland" is silly, but at least a case could be made there.

Could just be making an *** of myself, but oh well.
I guess you're right, since Doc didn't rep his own series in Melee...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@SmashChu: I don't play competitive, only casual one-on-one. Ganondorf still sucks there too. He's the worst character in the game. It's not the tier list, it's how badly he was made.
That's still more tournament play than standard. Standard would be 4vs with items. Ganondorf wont do well in 1v1 because he wasn't built for that. The reason Meta-Knight is strong in 1v1 was because he was balanced for 4vs.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wouldn't say 1v1 is overlooked, SmashChu. That's often the setup in Classic Mode, Event Matches, and Adventure mode.

Y'know, just with items.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
For some reason, does anyone find 6 mario characters in the roster surprisingly reasonable?
I do.

Yes, yes. I am the strongest in the whole world.
No.

That's still more tournament play than standard. Standard would be 4vs with items. Ganondorf wont do well in 1v1 because he wasn't built for that. The reason Meta-Knight is strong in 1v1 was because he was balanced for 4vs.
Oh snap...here we go again...

Standard? There is no real standard. There are options to turn on and off items, there is an option to have up to 4 players.

Anyways in "your standard" side tournies that we have, called All Brawl, Metaknight still ***** the **** out of everyone when random picks him

Don't even get me started about teams...I'm going to guess you think teams isn't standard because it doesn't default it.

Anyway, Joe the condor rules

So I'm not the only one hwew who thinks it actually seems to make sense.

Snake + MK wins all day. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom