• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
No offense, but I don't really get why you would think that. What does being spin-off exclusive material have to do with his moveset/playability?
You don't have to say no offense I don't really care, and I should have said that their are better characters than Waluigi to get in as a Mario rep such as Toad or Bowser Jr. I wouldn't really mind if he got in or not I just feel that it is important that a character with more importance or relevance should get in. Besides I heard Waluigi isn't even in MK7

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Edit- I disagree with the lack of moveset, Sakurai could give any character any moveset regardless whether they used it in game or not, it's silly to say he "doesn't have enough moveset" it's a dumb arguement, look at Falcon and ROB, they didn't really have moveset from there games and yet look what happened, same with Peach but to a lesser extent.

Point is to argue and to solely exclude a character chances based on "lack of moves" is stupid

this include Waluigi, hell I don't like him, but my bias doesn't blind me from the truth if Sakurai wanted him in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not necessarily.

http://www.mariowiki.com/waluigi

There is more where that came from, BTW.

Until someone proves me otherwise, I will stand by the fact that the only moveset-related aspect that could really hurt a character is the technical part, not the creative part.
Okay, duly noted.

But, actually, lack of moveset is kind of important. If people cannot answer "What will he do?", then how can they fight? If that's the case, the next thing is to find if they've been notable or not. Notability is my most important criteria, because without it, characters aren't nearly as known. But I digress.

Also, Falcon is a bounty hunter, so he had a hobby to go off of. R.O.B. I'll give you, though.

OmegaXXII

@Opelucid: Relevancy isn't always a deciding factor for a character's inclusion, Waluigi lacking in MK7 is irrelevant because he has already made his mark in spin-offs, heck is the most popular spin off there is from Mario, I'm sure Sakurai might consider him

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Opelucid: Relevancy isn't always a deciding factor for a character's inclusion, Waluigi lacking in MK7 is irrelevant because he has already made his mark in spin-offs, heck is the most popular spin off there is from Mario, I'm sure Sakurai might consider him

...He's not in Mario Kart 7? Even as an unlockable? I hope that's not true...

Honestly, I can't imagine a spin-off with the guy. He's practically the king of it.

OmegaXXII

...He's not in Mario Kart 7? Even as an unlockable? I hope that's not true...

Honestly, I can't imagine a spin-off with the guy. He's practically the king of it.
I'm not sure, I'm going from what he stated, I think he will be in it, just not confirmed yet.

@Opelucid: Link to where you read this?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not sure, I'm going from what he stated, I think he will be in it, just not confirmed yet.

@Opelucid: Link to where you read this?

Oh, okay. Phew. I mean, he's been in there since Double Dash. Heck, he's appeared in all but the first two Mario Party games. I think he was in all the Golf games too. He might've not been in the first, though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow, looking over the last few posts all I can say is that I'm really annoyed with some of you right now. :glare:

I stated many of the same arguements when I defended Waluigi, but I only got flammed. But now you're all agreeing with them? :facepalm:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Being spin-off exclusive material isn't an antagonizing factor of Waluigi getting in, IMO, because of a few reasons:

1. Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion got stage representation, despite both of them being spin-off series of the main Mario series.

2. People use this as a con because their reasoning is that spin-off titles and characters are generally smaller, less known and less important than the "main" series. So what they're basically saying is that they feel that if Waluigi isn't even treated like a "main" character in his own series, then why should he get the primary form of representation in Smash (playability), another series?

I'll start off with this. People must also remember that this is the Mario series we're talking about, the face of video games as a whole. Pretty much every Mario game is treated or at least sells like a major title. Waluigi has appeared in almost every spin-off game since his first appearance. That not only means that he is well-known, but as a recurring character, does he not have at least some relevance in general to his series overall? Also, as the bizarro Luigi and Wario's partner-in-crime (both of which, made it in playable characters in Smash), he isn't just some random NPC or assist character in the spin-off games.

3. People also say that he has no importance to the series (and therefore will not be added) since he's never had a role in any main Mario game. Now, what I'm going to bring up, since when did story ever really matter in the main Mario games? It's always been about the gameplay. You can only apply this argument, in my opinion, to series where strong, deep narrative is actually a larger emphasis of the series. But Mario? They're all virtually the same story: Bowser kidnaps the Princess, Mario goes to save her, and the developers seem content with that. So, my point is, if the developers themselves don't even hold story high when making their games, then why should Sakurai do so when deciding what new Mario characters to put in this time around, especially since Smash is a non-canon fighting game series?

Waluigi has cons, the biggest of which, IMO, is simply his competition in Toad and Bowser Jr. Pretty much everything Waluigi has going for him, the other two have going for them in greater amounts and they actually have appeared in mainstream Mario titles before.

But being spin-off exclusive? I think not.

Comments?

BTW, Waluigi hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed at all for MK7 yet.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If it means anything Waluigi is the final boss in Mario Party 3 and the main villain in the DDR game (off that wiki xD)

Also he's an assist trophy and that shouldn't hurt his chances since Isaac is still wanted too.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Waluigi was playable in smash 4. Sure he's a bottom of the barrel character, but with the possibility of having 50+ characters in smash 4, sakurai might have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. And waluigi is definitely more popular among casual fans than Takamaru or whatever obscure character everyone seems to think has a 100% chance of appearing.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I notice a lot of people are literally asking for clones.

What do you think nintendo is going to do with dixie? Probably make her move set ver similar to diddy. I know there are a few games she has been in and she does do a few things different from diddy, but nintendo would most likely make her similar to diddy. I think tiny would be a better choice IMO.

I wonder if ice climbers will get to keep their chain grabbing. I hope so.

I would love for daisy to be in the next smash brothers. But what I fear of her making it in is her having a moveset highly similar to Peach. So as much as I hate to say it I would rather her not be in.

Another thing I want to point out is if waluigi can make it in then daisy has just as much of a chance of getting in. I mean there is a pattern seen in brawl: Luigi has a costume for Waluigi just like Peach has a costume for Daisy. I wouldn't be surprized to find the same results in the next smash brothers. The only thing is waluigi managed to get in as an assist trophy. I guess that gives him more of a chance of being playable in the next SSB. Even though I'd rather have daisy. lol XD

PS: Remember when Nintendo released a poll on a japanese website for people to vote who they would want to see in SSBB? Well sonic did get #1 but if I remember correctly Geno was #2. So if anything geno has a chance of being in next smash brothers. Hopefully Sakurai will come up with another poll. The only thing I fear is people begging for master chief :(. Pls no. We don't need another crappy camper (Snake :()

yani_

Smash Ace
Do you guys think being an assist trophy increases or decreases a characters chance of getting in? (waluigi, issac, little mac, etc) ?

OmegaXXII

Waluigi is a dark horse, a character that isn't wanted so much, yet has a realistic shot on it.

Daisy however isn't even exclusively popular in the spin-offs, by that logic let's include Buu, koopa, toadette, funky kong, dry bones, and everybody else since they are so popular as well.

They aren't the same case.

Whelp, back I go. :rolleyes:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Do you guys think being an assist trophy increases or decreases a characters chance of getting in? (waluigi, issac, little mac, etc) ?
Depends.

In some cases, assist trophies can be seen as Sakurai's way of teasing potentially playable characters for a future installment (like with Little Mac and Isaac).

But, for the most part, they are seen as a way to honor characters who'd never be made playable (like Mr. Resetti and Metroid).

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I think Waluigi being a staple from the spin off games is a huge reason he SHOULD be included.

He'd have the generic moves (punch, kick, etc) but also could have a move based off Mario kart, Mario party, several Mario sports spin off moves. Hell, if DK can have the DK bongos in his final smash, Waluigi (since he was the main boss in DDR Mario Mix) could bust out a DDR mat.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Drclaw, you want pretty much all the characters I do lol (except Zip, Captain Rainbow, Imajin and Rosalina, because I don't know who they are).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
xD thats pretty funny! Anyways if toad did get in WHAT would be peach's b?
Maybe she'd put a bomb-ob in the background that walks around and explodes after a certain amount of time? ofc it would have less knockback if this was the case.
Madame puff you sexy mofo.. why you no post here no more.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Omega about the Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 thing I can't find the link but I saw a few people over at Gamefaqs discussing his absence.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Roster Designer: StarPhoenix

I don’t want to sound like I’m talking to you like you’re stupid or anything, so if I do…forgive me.

Mario Franchise: Mario Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Bowser Jr, Yoshi, Wario, Ashley

- I cannot complain about the choice. While I think TOAD AND BOWSER JR. is a bit much, you have Ashley, which is always a good choice. Wario Good. You seem to be going for a VERY “Big Iconic Franchise” type roster, and less little series, which is honestly, how I can see the real roster ending up. Anyways, your choices…… are okay. 5/5

Donkey Kong franchise: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool

- Here is where I now have a problem. You added Toad AND Bowser Jr, but neglected Dixie Kong. Or more so, you left a big series smaller than it should be…for a series that already had six reps. I dunno, I think it’s kind of silly. Even though you are Star, I feel like I shouldn’t hold back. So you get docked. 3.5/5

Legend Of Zelda Franchise: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link

- Only complaint is you didn’t specify and amount of “further declining” will be done to Toon Link and Ganon, which is something I like to look for in a franchise that isn’t gaining a newcomer. I suppose Tingle does make up for it some, so…. You get a 4.75/5 :troll:

Kirby Franchise: Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede

- Good Starcat. 5/5

Fire Emblem Franchise: Marth, Ike, Roy- No Chrome? No problem. He’s very in the air so it’s best to keep him out. But you knew that~ 5/5

Pokemon Franchise: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Mewtwo, N

- Oh Star, too much. You’re bloating me. First Mario, and now this? Ten Pokemon? I have to assume N is a trainer. GOOD CHOICES, too many. 2.5/5

Mother and Metroid: Samus, ZSS, Ridley, Dark Samus, Ness Lucas

- (Another franchise that has a more reps than Dk..) Good choices. You have this sort of “Hit em where it counts” type of attitude in this roster. You went for big franchises being completed. Essentially, you sort of…overacheieved in Metroid terms. Mother looks AOK though. 9/10

StarFox and F-Zero: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal, Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh

- Good choices. I love it. We got the Goroh, AND the Krystal. You completed a Franchise, which is what I’M ALL ABOUT~ 10/10

Smaller Franchises: IC’s, ROB, Olimar, Mr. Gamd&Watch, Pit, Palutena, Tingle, Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, Mii

- Tingle is a good choice, as is Palutena. Tingle can be disuised as his own franchise, and act as his own, but he is still as connected to the LoZ world as Wario and Yoshi are to the Mario world. So, I think he’s a good choice because of that. You get a lot of fruity bang for your buck. Where you fall down is ????. I hate that. That along with no difinitve retro, docks you a point. 9/10

Third Party: NO WAY 5/5

OVERALL APPEARANCE: Good roster. My only MAJOR complaint goes to the number of Mario, and Pokemon characters. I just think Nine Mario, and Ten Pokes is too much ya know? How about Eight Pokes, and Seven Mario? AND, the lack of Dixie bothers me, mainly because of the abundance of other characters in PKMB/MU. Other than that, I very much like the roster.

Go Star~

Top Tier Roster Makers
1. Iblis 95%
2. StarPhoenix 93.5%
3. SuperSmashBrosFan 92%
4. JavaCroc 91%

Upper Tier Roster Makers
5. Oasis 83%
6. Kantrip 82.5%

Lower Tier Roster Makers
7. Berserker 77%
8. Steam 76%

Ganon Tier Roster Makers
9. Swayne 62%

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I posted mine a few pages back, Shortie.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Something just came to me. There is one other person from the Mother series who could make it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The second Yoshi rep should be a second Yoshi. Then we can have the rest of his palette swaps.
Shorts gets to talk Yoshi reps~

Basically, this is what I think about the potential characters for the Yoshi franchise.

Kamek - Pretty much the main antagonist of the Yoshi series. He's a total jerk. Some may argue Baby Bowser is the main villain of the Yoshi series, but he's an idiot, so screw him. Kamek is a good choice for the series.

Shy Guys - Are awesome. I consider them the Toads of Yoshi story. Well, more the Koopas. They're a foolish choice, but I can't help but mention that IF we're gonna go speculators gone wild, then they should be talked about.

Baby Bros - Are.....meh. I don't like them....basically...choose Kamek or Shy guys....or just Kamek.

@Oboys PM me them and I'll get them hammered out by this weekend~

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If I'm not allowed to have Caeda, you can't have Poo. I ONLY LIKE HIM BECAUSE OF HIS NAME, and he wouldn't use PSI stuff.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Actually N is not a trainer, it is only N and Zoroark. Perhaps I should have specified that, but I thought it would be understood? My bad on that. I left Dixie Kong off because I see Sakurai adding King K. Rool and being done with the series. King K. Rool, even from your poll Shortie, is the clear choice for a Donkey Kong addition. As important as Dixie Kong may have been, could even be, I just don't see her beating the big kroc himself.

The reason I did not include anymore smaller franchises is because, as of now, Sakurai appears to over look them to a degree. Not only that but with each title we have only added three-five Nintendo franchises per game. I added five in my roster; Tingle, Golden Sun, Wii, Punch Out, Sin and Punishment and my mystery retro/shock series. Since, apparently, everyone is taking issue to my coyness about laying down a claim on our surprise character I will go ahead and just man up.

Mach Rider:
Mach Rider - Cliffside Peril

[COLLAPSE="Roster again"]Mario:

1. Mario - Starship Mario
  2. Peach - Rainbow Road
  3. Bowser - Bowser's Castle
  4. Bowser Jr. - Delfino Plaza
  5. Luigi - Luigi's Greater Mansion
  6. Toad - New Super Mario Land

Donkey Kong:
  7. Donkey Kong - 75m
  8. Diddy Kong - Sunset Shores
  9. King K. Rool - Gangplank Galleon

Yoshi:
  10. Yoshi - Yoshi's Island

Wario:
  11. Wario - WarioWare
  12. Ashley - Diamond City

Legend of Zelda:
  13. Link - Skyloft
  14. Zelda ~ Sheik - Hyrule Castle
  15. Ganondorf - Hyrule Castle
  16. Toon Link - Pirate Ship

Tingle's Rupeeland:
  17. Tingle - Tingle's Tower

Metroid:
  18. Samus ~ Zero Suit Samus - Geothermal Power Plant
  19. Ridley - Geothermal Power Plant/Norfair
  20. Dark Samus - Skytown Elysia

Kid Icarus:
  21. Pit - Skyworld
  22. Palutena - Skyworld
  23. Medusa - Underworld

Ice Climbers:
  24. Ice Climbers - The Summit

Gyromite:
  25. R.O.B - Nintendo/Pictochat

Kirby:
  26. Kirby - Fountain Gardens
  27. Meta-Knight - The Halberd
  28. King DDD - Cookie Country

Pikmin:
  29. Captain Olimar - New Planet (Pikmin 3)

Star Fox:
  30. Fox - Sector Z
  31. Falco - Sector Z
  32. Wolf - Sector Z
  33. Krystal - Lylat Cruise

F-Zero:
  34. Captain Falcon - Port Town: Aero Dive
  35. Samurai Goroh - Red Canyon

Pokémon:
  36. Pikachu - Pokémon Stadium 2
  37. Jigglypuff - Pokémon Stadium 2
  38. Pokémon Trainer - Pokémon Stadium 2
  39. Mewtwo - Tin Tower
  40. Lucario - Tin Tower
  41. N - N's Castle

Fire Emblem:
  42. Marth - Dragon's Altar
  43. Ike - Castle Siege
  44. Roy - Castle Siege

MOTHER:
  45. Ness - Saturn Valley
  46. Lucas - Saturn Valley

Punch Out:
  47. Little Mac - The Ring

Golden Sun:
  48. Isaac - Venus Lighthouse

Sin and Punishment:
  49. Saki Amamiya - Runious City

Wii/3DS/Pilotwings:
  50. Mii - WuHu Island

Game and Watch:
  51. Mr. Game and Watch - Game and Watch Gallery

Mach Rider:
  52. Mach Rider - Cliffside Peril
[/COLLAPSE]

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
May as well post my roster. Everyone else did.

Mario Characters:
Mario (with a Dr. Mario costume, of course)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong Characters:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Yoshi Characters:
Yoshi

Wario Characters:
Wario

Legend of Zelda Characters:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Metroid Characters
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

Kid Icarus Characters:
Pit
Medusa

F-Zero Characters:
Captain Falcon

Pokemon Characters: (Here's where it gets controversial...)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard)
Mewtwo
Lucario
Victini

Starfox Series:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kirby Series:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Fire Emblem Series:
Marth
Ike
Roy or Chrome (As of now, Roy.)

Mother Series:
Ness
Lucas

Pikmin Series:
Olimar

Retro Series:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Muddy Mole

New Franchise Representative Characters:
Little Mac
Isaac
Starfy
Shulk
Mii

Third Party Series:
Sonic
Snake
Mega Man

Total:
50 Characters, not counting transformations or Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon

Newcomers:
Bowser Jr.
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Victini
Roy
Little Mac
Ghirahim
Isaac
Starfy
Mii
Muddy Mole
Shulk
Medusa
Ridley
Mega Man

Hoping for a good Shorts rating...
For Shortie's convenience, if he has time. Wow. It was almost exactly 24 hours between this quoted post and my post right before this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom