• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, with Shy Guy instead of Kamek, I was thinking that Shy Guy could have a more unique moveset than Kamek; plus Shy Guy has appeared in more spin-offs than Kamek.
As for Bomberman, he's practically been on every Nintendo console and nearly every handheld. His moveset wouldn't have to rely on bombs. He did have a sword in Bomberman Hero, plus he could use the Louies from his games.
With Ganondorf, I think the classic Ganondorf should stay, because he's the enemy of the classic Link. Plus Toon Link has fought a bunch of other villains, like Vaati.

:phone:
But Vaati's not on yours, so that doesn't really count. That, and Toon Link needs to be more than just luigified. He should be as different as Wario is to Mario.

As for Bomberman, I could see an interesting moveset, but I feel there are better third party choices than a gimmick character. I never played Hero. The Pomies could make for a few interesting moves, though. Something like Jill in MvC2, as in summon-like attacks.

I think Zelda reps the original Zelda series better. If she's going to have a Skyward Sword appearance, than Sheik does fine in repping the n64 area. Ganondorf doesn't really do that all that well. Since he doesn't even use a sword. Hence my preference for Young Link repping the non-Toon games. Adult Link decently reps any where you play as him, as well as the latest series. Toon Ganondorf would already be super unique because of various magic, moves, and two swords. He was luigified in Brawl, and he utterly sucked because of it.(having a few better moves when he got worse overall says something)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Eh....I don't think Shy Guy is likely or even that much of an option for a second Yoshi rep, if anyone it would most likely be Kamek, even he is unlikely.

With Mario Party 9 just around the corner, and the trailer showing off a playable Shy Guy, plus all of his spin-off appearances and a Shy Guy boss in Paper Mario, that may be enough to tip it over the edge(but it may just be Shy Guy bias :p)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Vaati might happen if it happens to be the "master" for Skyward Sword, otherwise we'll most likely get sone other rep like Ghirahim?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
With Mario Party 9 just around the corner, and the trailer showing off a playable Shy Guy, plus all of his spin-off appearances and a Shy Guy boss in Paper Mario, that may be enough to tip it over the edge(but it may just be Shy Guy bias :p)

Yo man, I'd rather Waluigi :| he's playable in way more spinoffs

I think he's popular enough, i saw costumes for him in walmart LOL

OmegaXXII

And he just got confirmed playable for Mario Kart 7 just recently, but still there are better options, unless he's a "WTF!" character?

Waluigi isn't even a Yoshi rep, he would represent Mario which means his chances are severly hurt by Toad, Bowser Jr., and possibly Paper Mario.

I heavily support Paper Mario as well btw.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
But Vaati's not on yours, so that doesn't really count. That, and Toon Link needs to be more than just luigified. He should be as different as Wario is to Mario.

As for Bomberman, I could see an interesting moveset, but I feel there are better third party choices than a gimmick character. I never played Hero. The Pomies could make for a few interesting moves, though. Something like Jill in MvC2, as in summon-like attacks.

I think Zelda reps the original Zelda series better. If she's going to have a Skyward Sword appearance, than Sheik does fine in repping the n64 area. Ganondorf doesn't really do that all that well. Since he doesn't even use a sword. Hence my preference for Young Link repping the non-Toon games. Adult Link decently reps any where you play as him, as well as the latest series. Toon Ganondorf would already be super unique because of various magic, moves, and two swords. He was luigified in Brawl, and he utterly sucked because of it.(having a few better moves when he got worse overall says something)
No matter how you splice it, Toon Link is still Link, so they're going to share the same basic skills. That's why I Luigified him, because some of skills could be a little different.
Ganondorf should stay, because Toon Link represents the cell-shaded era. Ganondorf is also the primary antagonist of the main Zelda games(with the exceptions of Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask).
Bomberman is deserving a spot. And how is Bomberman a gimmick character? Please explain. :/

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Waluigi shouldn't be playable... If he makes an appearance in a main Mario game then maybe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No matter how you splice it, Toon Link is still Link, so they're going to share the same basic skills. That's why I Luigified him, because some of skills could be a little different.
Ganondorf should stay, because Toon Link represents the cell-shaded era. Ganondorf is also the primary antagonist of the main Zelda games(with the exceptions of Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask).
Bomberman is deserving a spot. And how is Bomberman a gimmick character? Please explain. :/

Ganondorf is a different character from Ganon. He only actually appears in OoT, WW, and TP. You're thinking of Ganon as the main antagonist.

Toon Link is quite different from Link. He had items that regular Link never has had. It should reflect that.

And i don't think Bomberman ultimately deserves a spot. There's tons of characters that aren't based around a single weapon, being Bombs. It's a huge balance issue. And Bombs are really his only special universal note, which becomes a gimmick after a while. It's in his name, after all.

OmegaXXII

Because Waluigi doesn't merit a slot, he lacks importance that Toad or Biwser Jr. Have it has nothing to due with moveset potential.

Though, it isn't to say he doesn't have a chance because he clearly does.

yani_

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who doesn't mind clones, not even the "clony" clones like Doc and Pichu?

I honestly would love every single cut Melee clone to come back, except maybe Young Link because he already got replaced by Toon Link...

I actually popped in melee for the first time in years and I have to say I do miss pichu that little rascal. I don't mind clones too much, the only one I really frowned upon was Ganon/C.Falc for obvious reasons. I'd be down for all the melee's to come back, as long as it wouldn't require cutting potential new characters. (I'd rather they be a DLC though, I'd definitely throw up 5 bucks for em. Or gladly take em for free ;) )

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No offense, but I don't really get why you would think that. What does being spin-off exclusive moveset have to do with his moveset/playability?
Name a spin-off only character playable in Smash. Doesn't exist. 3 games have only used characters from main games as playable. Could it change? Sure. But as of right now, main games is a fair assumption to what choices should be.

Keep in mind I want Waluigi to appear in a Wario Land/Wario Ware game so he has a reasonable chance of becoming a playable character.

Also, this is the main reason people don't want him in it. He holds no actual importance to the main games.

OmegaXXII

I'm not saying Paper Mario isn't a character, I'm just saying I consider Paper Mario a seperate series, so I think Paper Mario is a Paper Mario character.

Yeah, I got you and I agree, it was directed at Metal Overlord. :p

I have said the same thing in the past, if he were to get his own series like say Yoshi, then his chances would increase much more, the "Paper" franchise would be represented by him with a slightly different logo.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm not talking about his chances of getting him in (nor do I really care), I'm talking about him hypothetically getting in and actually playing as him. Not everything in this thread is about character chances, you know.

Being spin-off only material or not makes no difference to me personally because I'd play with him regardless, so that's why I asked. I was asking why would being spin-off only material hinder his ability to have fun with him or play as him.

This is a video game, the ultimate goal is to just have fun. People don't have to be so corporate about Smash...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yeah, I got you and I agree, it was directed at Metal Overlord. :p

I have said the same thing in the past, if he were to get his own series like say Yoshi, then his chances would increase much more, the "Paper" franchise would be represented by him with a slightly different logo.

Oh okay, I wasn't sure.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Maybe a Crystal Star or a Pure Heart?

yani_

Smash Ace
Alright, this place is moving too slow, so I'm gonna post my roster to get something going here.

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
DK Series: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Yoshi Series: Yoshi, Shy Guy
Wario Series: Wario, Ashley
LoZ Series: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf(luigified), Toon Link(luigified)
Metroid Series: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Kid Icarus Series: Pit, Palutena and/or Medusa
Kirby Series: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Pikmin Series: Captain Olimar
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal
F-Zero Series: Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, 3rd Gen. Trainer, Victini
Fire Emblem Series: Marth, Roy, Ike
Mother Series: Ness, Lucas(more luigified)
Retro Franchises: ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers
New Franchises: Starfy, Issac, Little Mac, Paper Mario, Shulk, Saki
3rd Party: Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Bomberman, Slime and Chocobo
Total: 60 characters(54 if alternate forms are considered)

Whew... Got that done. Finally.

Pretty much perfect for me, just not a fan of the whole "slime & chocobo" concept

OmegaXXII

Oh okay, I wasn't sure.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Maybe a Crystal Star or a Pure Heart?

Crystal Star would be his final smash or "the showstopper", awesome right?

I would like to see either a stage from the series, Rawk Hawk or at least some music or a Mr.L alt for Luigi would be nice, heck P.Mario should have it as well. :3

OmegaXXII

Sweet. Albeit, I can't stand the WarioWare series, but it means he could finally be playable in Smash realistically!
Yeah, I feel the same way, I like the classic WarioLand series, reminds me of my childhood. xD

He should get a stage based on that as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I feel the same way, I like the classic WarioLand series, reminds me of my childhood. xD

He should get a stage based on that as well.

Atleast Waluigi Pinball was available via Music.

And for the record, I don't think characters appearing strictly in less important spin-offs(Racing, Sports, Party) really counts as "important to the series" as people make it out to be.

Atleast, when it comes to the Mario series. This is my opinion, notably.

Anyway, let's hope for another Wario Land game.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Crystal Star would be his final smash or "the showstopper", awesome right?

I would like to see either a stage from the series, Rawk Hawk or at least some music or a Mr.L alt for Luigi would be nice, heck P.Mario should have it as well. :3

Either Showstopper or Earth Tremor. And... What's stopping Paper Luigi from making it in? There are a ton of partners. Plus, Mr. L and Brobot could be his Final Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow...

I try to drop some knowledge in this thread and I get ignored. Thanks a lot peeps. :facepalm:
Now you know how I feel. :facepalm:

Anyway I did look at what you ment, and I agree. I personally could care less at who the new Mario rep, if we get one of course, is as long as they're fun to use.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
And for the record, I don't think characters appearing strictly in less important spin-offs(Racing, Sports, Party) really counts as "important to the series" as people make it out to be.
Ugh...

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about his chances or his overall importance. I asked Ope how would being exclusive to spin off games hinder his ability to actually play as Waluigi. You know, have fun with him.

I don't care if a certain character is spin-off exclusive or not, I want to have fun playing as them if they get in the game.

This only proves to me that people in this thread don't think of the characters themselves, they only think of their criteria...

/rant

Now you know how I feel. :facepalm:

Anyway I did look at what you ment, and I agree. I personally could care less at who the new Mario rep, if we get one of course, is as long as they're fun to use.
Thank you, someone who actually got what I was trying to say...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ugh...

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about his chances or his overall importance. I asked Ope how would being exclusive to spin off games hinder his ability to actually play as Waluigi. You know, have fun with him.
Honestly, he really doesn't have any special notes about him when it comes to a moveset. He plays sports, games, and drives a go-kart. I don't think he has very good moveset potential due to the lack of him doing much of anything. I mean, it's not just criteria, but does he even have a freakin' hobby? We know pretty much nothing about besides him being mischeivious. That really hurts what he can do. I don't want an extremely shallow moveset. So I don't consider him to have much potential. When it comes to the Mario series, few characters have actual characterization, instead they have moves from various games and media to draw from. Waluigi lacks all this.

I can't really imagine him being more than a Luigified Wario with different special moves at this point.

OmegaXXII

Agreed with Hyper, though I wouldn't rule him out as unlikely because of it, Sakurai is weird when it comes to character choices so being spin-off wouldn't hurt him, it would actually him due to it's "wacky" style.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Honestly, he really doesn't have any special notes about him when it comes to a moveset. He plays sports, games, and drives a go-kart. I don't think he has very good moveset potential due to the lack of him doing much of anything. I mean, it's not just criteria, but does he even have a freakin' hobby? We know pretty much nothing about besides him being mischeivious. That really hurts what he can do.
Not necessarily.

Waluigi is talented at a variety of sports, from tennis, to archery, to soccer. Because of this sports talent, Waluigi has many varied abilities displayed throughout his appearances, and he is usually a technical character in most of the Mario spin-offs he appears in. These range from the simple, such as jumps, punches, and kicks, to the absolutely absurd and zany, such as spinning to make a small tornado, creating thorny vines, and swimming in midair.
http://www.mariowiki.com/waluigi

There is more where that came from, BTW.

Until someone proves me otherwise, I will stand by the fact that the only moveset-related aspect that could really hurt a character is the technical part, not the creative part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom