• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Daisy will get in Smash6, I'm Just kidding call me crazy but I Actually supported Rosalina for Brawl before it came out.

:phone:

Steam

Smash Hero
Jiggs from Melee should return, she was buffed as well, Kirby from N64 however should also be back.

those characters weren't buffed or nerfed between each game. the change in physics engine screwed them in competitive play. also the tier list doesn't pertain to you, the games were perfectly balanced casually.

D

Deleted member

@Arcadenik: I agree in that Jigglypuff and Ness aren't guarantee, but I do think Captain Falcon is a lock for this game, regardless of the series current irrelevancy. It only diminishes the chances of us getting a second rep.

That said, I do agree that Jigglypuff isn't a must for this game, although I am not against him returning. If I had to do five five with my preference, this would be my list:

Pikachu
3rd Gen Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
Lucario
Victini

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I can understand why people want to get rid of Jigglypuff, but I still think it's stay. It's unique, has a fun playstyle, has a cult status, and still is a notable Pokemon despite a loss of relvancy.

Pikachu (Mascot)
Jigglypuff (Original 12 Member, one of the most memorable Pokemon out there)
Mewtwo (It's Mewtwo :cool:)
PT Red (Main character in the games, uses a team of 3 of the most popular Pokemon out there)
Lucario (Argueably the most popular non Gen 1 Pokemon out there, main Mascot to the 4th Gen)
5th Gen Pokemon (Flavor of the month character, will contain the 5th Gen Mascot)

Heck JP's revelancy and popularity is going to sky-rocket next month, does anyone know why?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ness not a guarantee? Some of you guys need to stop drinking the kool aid. There is no reason for him to be cut. He is an important character to the MOTHER series and a staple in the Smash Bros. series. Give him a better PK Rockin' for his Final Smash and change around Lucas's specials and you eliminate all of his issues.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ness not a guarantee? Some of you guys need to stop drinking the kool aid. There is no reason for him to be cut. He is an important character to the MOTHER series and a staple in the Smash Bros. series. Give him a better PK Rockin' for his Final Smash and change around Lucas's specials and you eliminate all of his issues.
But Ness would still smell.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, to be fair the only one who really isn't guaranteed that's from the original 12 would have to be Jigglypuff, sure she's likely but if she was never intended to be cut in Brawl then why was she added so late during development? Clearly Sakurai had no real intention have keeping her but decided not to, I don't think Jiggvlypuff is necessarly safe from being cut, sure she is very likely and has established herself but that won't stop Sakurai if he thinks Jiggs should hit the plank.

OmegaXXII

wasn't ness supposed to get cut in brawl?
Ness was never intended to get cut, people get the wrong idea, just because Lucas got revealed first at the DOJO does not mean he was going to be replaced, heck alof of people during the Brawl hype assumed so but were later proven wrong meaning Ness was and is here to stay for the reasons Star mentioned.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, to be fair the only one who really isn't guaranteed that's from the original 12 would have to be Jigglypuff, sure she's likely but if she was never intended to be cut in Brawl then why was she added so late during development? Clearly Sakurai had no real intention have keeping her but decided not to, I don't think Jiggvlypuff is necessarly safe from being cut, sure she is very likely and has established herself but that won't stop Sakurai if he thinks Jiggs should hit the plank.

Added late in development? Where did you find that out?

Link please.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Steam: Ness was supposed to be cut in MELEE.

Just for whatever reason: In regard to Roy, isn't it a bit of a stretch to say Sakurai asked for Roy? I've seen some say Sakurai had an interest in him, and I bet that's just not the case. He probably asked "Hey, it might be a good idea to add the most recent lord." AS IN, he PROBABLY never asked for Roy by name. Roy, just like Ike, was probably a suggestion on the part of Intelligent Systems.

Tossing that out there. Not that I think he shouldn't be brought back or anything. Popularity is popularity. :awesome:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ness was never intended to get cut, people get the wrong idea, just because Lucas got revealed first at the DOJO does not mean he was going to be replaced, heck alof of people during the Brawl hype assumed so but were later proven wrong meaning Ness was and is here to stay for the reasons Star mentioned.

True, but there was one detail that came from Sakurai which had people thinking Ness was down and out. When Sakurai updated the Dojo with Lucas's special moves, he started it with something along the lines of:

"There was a character named Ness who appeared in the series up until now."

That made people assume the worst for him. I kinda did as well, but now that I think about it, Sakurai may have said "up until now" to avoid revealing that Ness was in while focusing on Lucas.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
True, but there was one detail that came from Sakurai which had people thinking Ness was down and out. When Sakurai updated the Dojo with Lucas's special moves, he started it with something along the lines of:

That made people assume the worst for him. I kinda did as well, but now that I think about it, Sakurai may have said "up until now" to avoid revealing that Ness was in while focusing on Lucas.

Look at the bolded words. The way the sentence is worded, it does read like Sakurai was telling us that Ness was in SSB64 and Melee but is not in Brawl because we have Lucas now. I think cutting Ness has crossed Sakurai's mind more than once but he likely decided to keep Ness to buff the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai kept outdated characters and added new clones in SSB4 merely to make the roster look bigger.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm with all this talk of who was planned for cuts I went and looked around my info thread in the backroom.

Although all I did find was more support for Little Mac and Ridley's inclusion. Along with support against characters like Slime and maybe Tingle. :laugh:

Anyway I'm not worried that much about Ness, a little about Jigglypuff, but only until next month when it's popularity and relevancy will go up.

I'll be back later to see where this all goes.

OmegaXXII

Which was pretty clever on Sakurai's part if was intending to keep Ness a secret from everyone, it was tricky indeed but was no really confirmation that meant he was gone for good.

Anyway at the Jiggs thing, I have a theory that Sakurai did almost cut Jigglypuff from Brawl during a decision-process that ultimately resulted in Mewtwo getting the axe. I think Sakurai had every intention of keeping Mewtwo in Brawl at first, evidenced by the leftover data for him in Brawl's code (he had a Classic Mode intro screen as well as a planned victory theme). Then Gamefreak introduced Lucario to the Smash Team and probably requested his inclusion in the roster. In order to meet the 4-character-per-series quota for his "perfect" character select screen, Sakurai had to decide to remove either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo to make room for Lucario.

Now think about it. Given Sakurai's penchant for the more silly and wacky characters, who do you think coupled better with Lucario in his mind? With Jigglypuff, you get one Pokemon with a round body shape, silly fighting style, and cheerful personality to contrast with Lucario's humanoid body shape and serious disposition. WIth Mewtwo, you get two human-shape Pokemon with a "lone wolf" personality. It's easy to believe that Sakurai thought that Jigglypuff and Lucario rounded out the Pokemon characters more effectively.

With so much leftover data for Mewtwo to account for in comparison to other scrapped characters, I think that the decision to remove him was a hard one for Sakurai to make. The decision may have taken quite a while, and so Sakurai decided to leave both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff out of the Subspace Emissary storyline in order to not complicate matters later. Their roles in the Subspace Emissary would have been so different that they decided not even to have a placeholder in the story for the one that would have remained in the roster once the decision was made. For example, Mewtwo could have been another villain character using Subspace Cannons while Jigglypuff could have been picked up by a hero along the way. But it's very hard to imagine one in the other's role in the example I provided.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
But Ness would still smell.
stop saying that. it reduces your credentials when you say things like this. Ness does not physically smell (and please FTLOG, don't show any ness smells images), Ness is a file of data like everyone else and wario digitally smells.

as a basis of exclusion, you shouldn't say this... i just cannot tolerate it.

Yeah, Jigglypuff will likely stick around, just because it's an original 12 member.
there is no such thing as the original 12. this is something the fans have come up with and should not be used as a basis of conjecture.

I'll be back later to see where this all goes.
don't bet on it going anywhere meaningful.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
that's it, you are now permenantly on my **** list!
(a bit of venture bros humour.)

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
don't bet on it going anywhere meaningful.
My club was delayed so I'm back.

Anyway after digging through various development links from past games I did find support for characters like Little Mac and Ridley, but also support against characters like Slime.

I must say though after going through all those links I think I found out quite a bit about character selection so I do recomend that everyone in our community look at them. ;)

Anyway I doubt Ness will go, and Jigglypuff's relevancy and popularity will also go up next month ("major hint at something most people don't know about") so I doubt they'll be cut, especially after 3 games.

So for now, "Flame Shield up."

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm not trying to flame. I love the FE series, never played Earthbound, but saw videos. FE should stay as a Final Fantasy-type gameplay, logically. But as I say that, Pokemon would fit that equation too. Eh, Idk V_V

OmegaXXII

Doubt is the key word, you cannot be sure about it, we don't know if Sakurai is intending to cut them or not, for all we know he might replace Jiggs for somebody else, if anything it might be Mewtwo.

FYI, events happen all the time, nothing significant would come out of it unless it's to a degree such as a game or movie.

OmegaXXII

If ya ask me, I think the FE series and Earthbound didn't belong in SSB series
Are you kidding, Fire Emblem not in Smash? Do you realize how popular they are to the Nintendo?? Do you even know what degree they stand up to? They are both good, major franchises that have sold well in the past, Nintendo isn't going to let $$ pass up.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Are you kidding, Fire Emblem not in Smash? Do you realize how popular they are to the Nintendo?? Do you even know what degree they stand up to? They are both good, major franchises that have sold well in the past, Nintendo isn't going to let $$ pass up.

$$ is a good point. But majority may rule. That's why Dr. Mario didn't make it. Same with Y.link, Mewtwo, and Pichu. (No offense, Mewtwo :( ) And I vote for the Tetris Block as well, if that's the case -_- If the fan sees his/her favorite character on it, they'll buy/play it. Naturally why I bought SSBB, due to Pit and Lucario. Plus the Falcon of the Captains :)

OmegaXXII

Are you talking about MAJOR Nintendo series that have some serious fanbase not belonging to a Nintendo All Star game?
The same game that included MOTHER F***IN' R.O.B.!.
I laughed at this. :awesome:

Really, Tetris block over Marth and Ness? Nice try. :fluttershy:

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about MAJOR Nintendo series that have some serious fanbase not belonging to a Nintendo All Star game?
The same game that included MOTHER F***IN' R.O.B.!?

Yeah, I totally agree. Let's put a Tetris Block instead of those suckaz.
This is definitely the case for Fire Emblem, and ignoring the very glaring fact that all of its main protagonists are essentially variations on the same limited archetype, I'd say it deserves more than two reps for sheer prolificness.

I feel Earthbound really doesn't deserve two reps. Three really solid, excellent games, but given that:

1) The franchise has been dead for years

2) Ness and Lucas still don't have much to differentiate themselves as fighters

I think including two characters was a wasted slot.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tetris Block. Really? I guess no one's even looking at my last few posts. :facepalm:

Anyway if you're all debating sales then take it up with Chronobound he's much better at this kind of arguement.

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
Anyway I doubt Ness will go, and Jigglypuff's relevancy and popularity will also go up next month ("major hint at something most people don't know about") so I doubt they'll be cut, especially after 3 games.
I'm paying attention, and I find this interesting. I think Jigglypuff has managed to stay out of sheer bizarrety. I'd miss her, but if it meant having Mewtwo as a regular, I think she's expendable.

And no one serious wants Tetris block as a character. Tetris is excellent stage material; there's no need to imagine beyond that.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Tetris Block. Really? I guess no one's even looking at my last few posts. :facepalm:
I just love when people take my sarcastic comments like it's serious. :awesome:

I feel Earthbound really doesn't deserve two reps. Three really solid, excellent games, but given that:
At least Lucas is Luigified[does that word even exists!?]. I won't complain about him if they change him a little more.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is definitely the case for Fire Emblem, and ignoring the very glaring fact that all of its main protagonists are essentially variations on the same limited archetype, I'd say it deserves more than two reps for sheer prolificness.

I think that the slot COULD have not been wasted if they decided to do something like:

Ness
Porky (That makes sense. . . right?)

OR
Lucas
Claus / Masked Man

Basically, having two earthbound characters isn't a HORRID thing, and even though it was executed poorly, there is still no reason to say the series having two slots is a waste. NOW, Pikmin having two slots IS a waste. The series has basically three playable characters who all do the exact same thing. The series has no main protagonist, or really ANY villian / antagonizing character that would look good, or make sense being scaled down and added as playable.

SO, as much as I hate Lucas, I wouldn't consider the choice to expand the Mother roster to be a bad one, just a good one that was done very poorly.

At least Lucas is Luigified[does that word even exists!?]. I won't complain about him if they change him a little more.
Luigification never HAPPENS. Clones change so slowly over time. It's rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom