• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Ryu - Again, an absolute shoe-in. If they add ANY other 3rd party character is has to be Ryu. When you think fighting games, you think Street Fighter first. Ryu is a big name which comes packaged with big bucks. In fact, he's arguably gaming's number 4 guy right behind Mario, Sonic, & Pikachu. Capcom has no reason not to lend them Ryu for Smash 4. It's free money for Capcom. Absolutely free money. All they have to do is check on the project and make sure Sakurai doesn't tarnish Ryu's good name by making him goofy or out-of-character. The ONLY way that Ryu wouldn't be added into Smash 4 is if Smash 4 directly interferes with the sales figures of a big Capcom game coming out just after Smash 4. But even then they should make that money back and more off Smash 4 so, again, no skin off Capcom's back. No skin off Nintendo's back. Profit all-around.

*Regarding Mega Man: Mega Man's a big name, it has to be said. But Mega Man isn't Capcom's show-pony anymore. Ryu is their mascot. Their Mario. Their time-less character that hasn't really changed since he became popular. Mega Man's appearance has constantly changed to the point that he's almost entirely unrecognizable as Mega Man. The most recent games being the best example of that: http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/1/11/Mega_Man_Star_Force_Dragon.jpg If Capcom gives Sakurai some sort of package deal and gives him both Ryu & Mega Man, that's fantastic, but Ryu is the bigger character & the bigger money-maker.*
Sorry, but I find this difficult to believe and is somewhat disturbing.

First off, Megaman isn't just a popular character, but he's one of the most iconic character that Capcom has in general, sure Ryu may be popular, but ask yourself; are his ties closer to Nintendo's than they are with Megaman?If you ask me Megaman has the most history with Nintendo, considering he's had a bunch of titles on that started NES and Super NES, he definetly has more going for him with Nintendo than you can say about Ryu, Ryu has mostly been focused as with Sony as of late, not to much going on for Nintendo.

Now as far as Ryu goes, like I mentioned , he is definetly another if not the most iconic Capcom rep, but let's face it, the truth is that while he may be the most iconic, he certainly isn't the most deserving or demanded for that matter, for example Megaman was one of the most demanded 3rd party characters on Sakurai's poll, even overlooking Ryu who was obviously Capcom's 'mascot'.You also stated that Megaman has also been transitioning during the years, while that may be true, Capcom has recently been putting effort on his classic games with recently releasing Megaman 9 and 2010, what does that mean? It means that Megaman is still of interest to Capcom, if he wasn't as popular as you said Capcom would have never even bothered making those games, Capcom even stated bringing back the classic series due to Megaman's popular demand, and with another possible game coming along and his request for Smash ever so growing, I can definetly see his chances higher than Ryu's.

Ryu may be the most iconic to Capcom, but isn't exactly the most demanded, at least for Smash, Ryu isn't a "absolute-shoe in" like you mentioned, heck not even Megaman can be considered a definite shoe-in, Sakurai may not even have or want a new 3rd party character at all if he were to change his mind about 3rd party guests.

That's my take on it.

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
As someone going into the game industry I can tell you the problem with that is: "Who the hell is Cecil?"

Look at Sonic & Snake. Sonic is the 2nd most known video game character of all and if you own a home console, you've probably seen Snake around and at least know something about him.

Obscure characters like Cecil who appear in one game of a giant series with a new protagonist in each game has absolutely no shot of being in Smash. There may be a bunch of remakes of his game, but it's still just one game.

Sora is the only character Square has that has that universal appeal that Snake has cause he's in the exact same boat as Snake; if you own a recent game console, you probably know who he is. But even he faces competition from Moogle & White Mage who have guest-starred in TWO MARIO games. But they suffer from what I call "Store-front Mediocrity." If you remember the box art for Brawl, on the back, taking up a huge chunk of it was "Solid Snake & Sonic the Hedgehog join the Brawl!" "Moogle joins the Brawl" doesn't sound as appealing as "Sora joins the Brawl!" or "Ryu joins the Brawl!" or "Rayman joins the Brawl!" That's what they're really looking for. They're not handing out character slots for Geno. They're not handing out character slots for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. They're looking for big names. For every 3rd Party developer they partner with, Sakurai has to pay them to use their character. They want characters that will make people buy the game JUST for that character.

It's just smart money. Like take this for example:
When Sega got the rights to make games for the Olympics, they thought "Hmmm. A good Olympics came might sell well...but if we make it Sonic & the Olympics, that would sell a whole lot better." Then came "But wait! What if we get Nintendo in on this and make it Mario & Sonic at the Olympics?! That would sell EXTREMELY well!"

Companies have to bite the bullet and siphon-off some of their income to others, hoping that with those big names combined, fans of each series will want to own those games. The name has to be big enough to make a profit off the deal, which is the main problem.

That's why Smash 4 will have 4 3rd Party character slots at the very most. It would just be bad business to have 4 out-side publishers siphoning off your money with only 2 or 3 of them actually helping the income. Unless the extra characters are from existing deals like Tails or Raiden, Sakurai would be stupid to add 3rd party characters just to appease Smash fans with a bigger 3rd party roster.

And speaking of the 3rd Party roster, using the logic I stated earlier, I can tell you a couple 3rd party characters almost guaranteed to be playable in Smash 4.

Sonic - Absolute shoe-in for Smash 4. Gaming's second banana. Second only to the king himself; Mario. (If you exclude Pikachu) It is an absolute no-brainer. He'll have a spot in the game's programming before they even finish the Nintendo roster. He brings in cash just like slapping the Mario or Pokemon brand on something. Guaranteed. Money. Guaranteed in the game. No sweat off Sega's back. No sweat off Nintendo's. Profit all-around.

Ryu - Again, an absolute shoe-in. If they add ANY other 3rd party character is has to be Ryu. When you think fighting games, you think Street Fighter first. Ryu is a big name which comes packaged with big bucks. In fact, he's arguably gaming's number 4 guy right behind Mario, Sonic, & Pikachu. Capcom has no reason not to lend them Ryu for Smash 4. It's free money for Capcom. Absolutely free money. All they have to do is check on the project and make sure Sakurai doesn't tarnish Ryu's good name by making him goofy or out-of-character. The ONLY way that Ryu wouldn't be added into Smash 4 is if Smash 4 directly interferes with the sales figures of a big Capcom game coming out just after Smash 4. But even then they should make that money back and more off Smash 4 so, again, no skin off Capcom's back. No skin off Nintendo's back. Profit all-around.

*Regarding Mega Man: Mega Man's a big name, it has to be said. But Mega Man isn't Capcom's show-pony anymore. Ryu is their mascot. Their Mario. Their time-less character that hasn't really changed since he became popular. Mega Man's appearance has constantly changed to the point that he's almost entirely unrecognizable as Mega Man. The most recent games being the best example of that: http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/1/11/Mega_Man_Star_Force_Dragon.jpg If Capcom gives Sakurai some sort of package deal and gives him both Ryu & Mega Man, that's fantastic, but Ryu is the bigger character & the bigger money-maker.*

Snake
- Stepping away from finance for a minute, Snake pretty much leaves as an old man to go die in peace at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. The question is; does Konami treat Snake like Ganondorf in Brawl and bring him back for "one last mission", do they move on to a new property, or do they pull-out of Smash all-together. The 3rd option is unlikely, but not out of the question. Snake is one of those decently famous characters. In the same league as Rayman or Bomberman. (Who is actually owned by Konami as they bought Hudson Soft.) While his games are of much better quality than their's, it's Snake himself is the big deciding factor. Would Snake make a profit for Nintendo and if not Snake, then who? Keep in mind if Nintendo makes a dollar more than they gambled originally, adding Snake would be considered a success. It's a complete judgment call on price vs profit for Nintendo & Sakurai's people. Konami has nothing to lose from the transaction at all, but it does however risk Nintendo & Sakurai's money.

Sora - ...*sighs* Square Enix, I am so disappointed. Final Fantasy's recurring characters are Moogles and Dragon Quest's recurring characters are Slimes with little else in-between. Sora is the only character of any merit that constantly returns in his own series. While, yes, he will sell copies of Brawl, I don't honestly expect him to even be consider because, whoops, he's partly owned by Disney. (the money Devil) Sad for you, Square. Sad for you.

But there you have it. Those 3 are just about the only 3rd Party deals worth taking aside from maybe Ubisoft with Rayman. Sonic & Ryu are free money and Snake is iffy. If Sega, Capcom, or Konami wants to throw an extra character like Tails, Mega Man, or Bomberman, respectively, at Sakurai and he bites, that's fantastic! More characters for us! But that's the only way I'd see more than 3 3rd party characters in Smash 4.

Sorry to crush your 3rd Party dreams, guys, but that's just how the gaming industry works. Money. Money. Money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4
As I posted elsewhere.

Problem is most fans are not asking for Ryu, they are asking for Megaman. To add Ryu in would be a slap to the face of every fan. They could add Ryu in addition to Megaman, but not before him. Ryu doesn't a 353 visitor response thread over on Capcom's own forum. No one is asking for him, fans want Megaman.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap..._smash_bros_games_(Show_youre_support_here!!).

There isn't a suggestion in Capcom's own suggestion box for Ryu to be included. (page 3)
http://www.capcom-unity.com/go/suggestion/box

Heck, prior to his resignation Keiji Inafune twice expressed his interest in including Megaman one day. He will bring in just as much money as either third party characters will. The only one who is worth every penny is Sonic the Hedgehog.

I understand where you are coming from, but you are forgetting the component of fan demand.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Those 3 are just about the only 3rd Party deals worth taking aside from maybe Ubisoft with Rayman.
Allow me to point out the most immediate flaw in your argument:

You somehow forgot THE most iconic video game character in history.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Allow me to point out the most immediate flaw in your argument:

You somehow forgot THE most iconic video game character in history.
Well let's face facts. Are Mom & Dad going to buy Smash 4 because Pac-Man is in it and want to relive the arcade days in a FIGHTING game? Pac-Man isn't "hot" any more. Kids & Teens aren't going to buy a game for Pac-Man. His biggest fan-base are people in their late 20's & 30's. They're not going to buy Smash 4 for Pac-Man. They're going to buy Smash 4 for Smash 4 if not buying it for their kids. Pac-Man to teens today, is like Crash Bandicoot. His games are fun for little kids, but aren't that popular. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX was a great game. But unfortunately, Pac-Man the character, not the game series, the character, isn't a big enough deal in the gaming world to sell copies of Smash 4.

Sorry, but I find this difficult to believe and is somewhat disturbing.

First off, Megaman isn't just a popular character, but he's one of the most iconic character that Capcom has in general, sure Ryu may be popular, but ask yourself; are his ties closer to Nintendo's than they are with Megaman?If you ask me Megaman has the most history with Nintendo, considering he's had a bunch of titles on that started NES and Super NES, he definetly has more going for him with Nintendo than you can say about Ryu, Ryu has mostly been focused as with Sony as of late, not to much going on for Nintendo.

Now as far as Ryu goes, like I mentioned , he is definetly another if not the most iconic Capcom rep, but let's face it, the truth is that while he may be the most iconic, he certainly isn't the most deserving or demanded for that matter, for example Megaman was one of the most demanded 3rd party characters on Sakurai's poll, even overlooking Ryu who was obviously Capcom's 'mascot'.

You also stated that Megaman has also been transitioning during the years, while that may be true, Capcom has recently been putting effort on his classic games with recently releasing Megaman 9 and 2010, what does that mean? It means that Megaman is still of interest to Capcom, if he wasn't as popular as you said Capcom would have never even bothered making those games, Capcom even stated bringing back the classic series due to Megaman's popular demand, and with another possible game coming along and his request for Smash ever so growing, I can definetly see his chances higher than Ryu's.

Ryu may be the most iconic to Capcom, but isn't exactly the most demanded, at least for Smash, Ryu isn't a "absolute-shoe in" like you mentioned, heck not even Megaman can be considered a definite shoe-in, Sakurai may not even have or want a new 3rd party character at all if he were to change his mind about 3rd party guests.

That's my take on it.

You have a completely valid point. Mega Man is the more popular character that Smash fans want. But then I have to ask "Which Mega Man?" Classic Mega Man? Mega Man X? Mega Man.EXE? Mega Man FM? Each Mega Man has a different age demographic.
Mega Man FM & Mega Man.EXE appeal to early teens as it would be the Mega Man they grew up with.
Late teens & adults would prefer Classic Mega Man or Mega Man X as it's the Mega Men that they grew up with.

The thing about Ryu that makes him that iconic character is that he has never changed. Ryu appeals to all his fans. And not to stack the odds against Mega Man futher, as I love the little guy, but Ryu not only is the mascot of a company or series, Ryu is the mascot for Fighting Games in general and those factors combined with his never-changing appearance is what gives him that almost Mario-like status. If you see Ryu on the cover of a game, it could have no title and you would still assume it's a 2D fighting game.

You have to keep in mind that, while Classic Mega Man may be more popular with Smash fans than the new Mega Man, Smash is in many ways a publicity stunt. Capcom wants to make money AND promote their new games. Would Fire Emblem have been anywhere near as successful in the US if Marth & Roy weren't in Melee? Probably not. Same goes for the Mother series (even though Mother 64 was cancelled) & now Kid Icarus. If Capcom puts any Mega Man, it's going to be their most recent one from the RETAIL game series (not downloadable), Mega Man FM:

Mega Man in Smash doesn't seem as appealing to us Classic & X fans now does it? And Ryu in Smash certainly doesn't seem as big of a slap in the face to us as it did before. The name Mega Man is big; absolutely. But it can mean many things.

I'll leave it at this. Ryu is a much safer character as Mega Man is a bit of a can of worms that can't possibly please every age-group while Ryu however can.

Again, I'd prefer Mega Man in Smash, so that's not bias talking there.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
That's taking a big assumption in that fans care WHICH megaman makes it into the game. It could be argued that EXE, Classic, FM, X, etc. are all still one overarching character. While most want classic megaman, it's not like they are going to turn their noses up at EXE, it's still the same character with slightly different themes.

A prime example of this is Link. Link in the Smash bros series is a sort of amalgamation of all his appearances to date. With Brawl having obvious stylistic influences from Twilight Princess. When someone thinks about Link, they don't think, "Man, I hope the Hero of Time is in the next smash bros." They just want Link. Same goes for Megaman. Besides, a couple costume changes could accomodate a couple different forms since shape-wise, he's more or less consistant. Think Wario. Default Megaman is classic, but can be switched to EXE or Volnutt or whatever.

This doesn't even touch on the fact that people don't care at all about Ryu. Seriously. To have Capcom throw in someone else INSTEAD of the widely requested uber popular Blue Bomber? Yeah. That's a slap in the face for sure.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
That's taking a big assumption in that fans care WHICH megaman makes it into the game. It could be argued that EXE, Classic, FM, X, etc. are all still one overarching character. While most want classic megaman, it's not like they are going to turn their noses up at EXE, it's still the same character with slightly different themes.

A prime example of this is Link. Link in the Smash bros series is a sort of amalgamation of all his appearances to date. With Brawl having obvious stylistic influences from Twilight Princess. When someone thinks about Link, they don't think, "Man, I hope the Hero of Time is in the next smash bros." They just want Link. Same goes for Megaman. Besides, a couple costume changes could accomodate a couple different forms since shape-wise, he's more or less consistant. Think Wario. Default Megaman is classic, but can be switched to EXE or Volnutt or whatever.

This doesn't even touch on the fact that people don't care at all about Ryu. Seriously. To have Capcom throw in someone else INSTEAD of the widely requested uber popular Blue Bomber? Yeah. That's a slap in the face for sure.
Okay. I'm just gonna come out & say it. Capcom gives around half a **** about Mega Man nowadays. As a Mega Man fan myself, that is blatantly obvious. All they do is pump out a Starforce once a year, maybe a DLC game, and call it a successful series. Ryu is their mascot whether they admit it or not.

Mega Man Legends 3 is Mega Man's best shot at being actually relevant enough to appear in Smash. But Smash 4 is a LOOOONG ways off, so that could change entirely. Mega Man could become their golden boy again or he could stay in Ryu's shadow. Who really knows. But right now, Ryu is Capcom's mascot. His games sell more copies at launch than Mega Man sells in months.

As of RIGHT NOW, Mega Man is as relevant as Konami's Bomberman.

Here's the BIG point though:

What would the fans do if Mega Man isn't in Smash 4? Worst case scenario? Not buy Smash 4. I doubt that! If Mega Man is as deeply rooted to Nintendo fans as you say, then they're going to buy Smash 4 anyway. Cause it's ****ing Smash 4 on a Nintendo console.

If you want to bring plays from other consoles & series over to Nintendo & Smash, you add Ryu.

You're not trying to make money off the people that are already going to buy the game. You want to make money off the people that don't play Smash. You want them to buy your game & a Nintendo system just to see their favorite character in it.

If Mega Man already makes his money on Nintendo fans, there's NO NO NO REASON he should be in Smash while Capcom has the ability to get other people to buy the game that would normally never touch Smash by simply adding their mascot to the roster.

The fans that already are going to buy the game have NO ****ING SAY in what 3rd Party characters they're going to add. They want new players. New money. They already have your money. So yes. Sakurai & Capcom doesn't give a **** about your opinions.

Welcome to the game industry. It's kinda ****ed up.

So again. It HAS to be Ryu at this point. Unless they want to lose money, of course, then Mega Man has a shot.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you so much that I don't know if you're trolling or not.

But I think Nintendo will listen to fan demand. Come on, they answered to a question about Capcom rep.

thecorruptionofman

Smash Rookie
Okay. I'm just gonna come out & say it. Capcom gives around half a **** about Mega Man nowadays. As a Mega Man fan myself, that is blatantly obvious. All they do is pump out a Starforce once a year, maybe a DLC game, and call it a successful series. Ryu is their mascot whether they admit it or not.

Mega Man Legends 3 is Mega Man's best shot at being actually relevant enough to appear in Smash. But Smash 4 is a LOOOONG ways off, so that could change entirely. Mega Man could become their golden boy again or he could stay in Ryu's shadow. Who really knows. But right now, Ryu is Capcom's mascot. His games sell more copies at launch than Mega Man sells in months.

What would the fans do if Mega Man isn't in Smash 4? Worst case scenario? Not buy Smash 4. I doubt that! If Mega Man is as deeply rooted to Nintendo fans as you say, then they're going to buy Smash 4 anyway. Cause it's ****ing Smash 4 on a Nintendo console.

If you want to bring plays from other consoles & series over to Nintendo & Smash, you add Ryu.

You're not trying to make money off the people that are already going to buy the game. You want to make money off the people that don't play Smash. You want them to buy your game & a Nintendo system just to see their favorite character in it.

If Mega Man already makes his money on Nintendo fans, there's NO NO NO REASON he should be in Smash while Capcom has the ability to get other people to buy the game that would normally never touch Smash by simply adding their mascot to the roster.

The fans that already are going to buy the game have NO ****ING SAY in what 3rd Party characters they're going to add. They want new players. New money. They already have your money. So yes. Sakurai & Capcom doesn't give a **** about your opinions.

So again. It HAS to be Ryu at this point. Unless they want to lose money, of course, then Mega Man has a shot.
Mega Man and Ryu would both be powerful characters to choose, as, you so eloquently put, Ryu would appeal to people who don't normally play Smash, and Mega Man is a major fan service. Combined, I believe Smash 4 would appeal to a much wider audience, as there are still people who love Mega Man that might not play Smash on the regular. You have a very valid point, but you have to consider everyone. Capcom is screwed with some people either way they go, and, worst case scenario, people get pissed off and don't buy Smash 4, which I don't really see happening, but some people would do that. Sakurai would be smart to include, at the most, four to five 3rd party characters in the games. As costly as it would be, I think the appeal of good third-party characters would be enough to attract a wider audience, thus raking in the cash. Sonic and Snake are both a must since they were in the last game and very very popular--can't tell you how many times I've had friends who own PS3s beg to play as Sonic or Snake. Ryu and Megaman would both be very smart as well. Four is probably a maximum, but like I said, the more the merrier. The eb and flow of popularity will no doubt change between now and Smash 4.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Actually your logic is faulty, Sakurai is very hesitant to add third party characters because of how difficult they are and how much dissent there was among fans and within the company for it. Yes money plays a factor, but Sakurai considers the fans. So, if we are being honest here, he'd sooner add no character than one who is going to upset the fan base. Because out of anyone I've seen Sakurai is about the only one who gives a damn about the fans. He has made some poor decisions, but he has shown his intention is to have as much representation possible while adding new and exciting things.

And I actually I disagree with your entire premise. Ryu is not an economical choice in the least. He may be the current mascot, but he won't bring in any more money than Megaman would. No hardcore gamer will suddenly pick up Smash Bros just because it has Ryu in it. Smash Bros is a joke in the fighting game community and nothing will change that perception. On top of that Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog were reduced to the back of the box.

I could go on more but I don't have time, so I just touched upon some of the issues.

D

Deleted member

The real winner of this debate on Ryu Vs. Mega Man is Starphoenix. *clap hands* Also, this quote:
Starphoenix said:
Because out of anyone I've seen Sakurai is about the only one who gives a damn about the fans.
Is why Sonic got in Brawl and why we're getting Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No offense, but coming from a user with Megaman ad his avatar is a little suspicious... lol

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really would like to see Luigi get a poltergeist 3000 based attack and move away a bit more from being Marios clone. The opportunity is definitely there for Luigi to be his own character....why don't they take better advantage of it? Brawl was a start....but he could be so much more.

I haven't put much thought into a character wishlist yet.....although it seems more difficult to decide on newcomers this time around. Although I definitely would want to see Fawful (from Mario & Luigi) and a Character from Golden Sun (maybe Matthew). The Golden Sun series is more than worthy of having a playable character and not just some trophy.

It feels like for characters like Midna and Wolf Link the boat has truly sailed away at this point, but maybe the Ocarina of Time remake will open the door for older Zelda characters making a surprise appearance. How about playing as Epona?

The new Pit Icarus game coming out this/next year may open the door for another playable character from the series. Medusa maybe?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You know what.

I'll bet they'll have a lot of nice trophies in this version for you to view in 3D.

Maybe there would be some mini-game type thing where you can have trophies fight using that augmented reality feature.

Mmhm.

Maybe nintendo should sell trophies (Real smash trophies including the trophy plate/stand) that didn't appear in smash 4 and maybe use augmented reality on them.

D

Deleted member

Maybe nintendo should sell trophies (Real smash trophies including the trophy plate/stand) that didn't appear in smash 4 and maybe use augmented reality on them.
Now how exactly would that work in the slightest?

Don't know. I never said it would work or be possible. I just think it sounds cool despite how weird it sounds.

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
Smash Bros Portale has been a dream of mine. Can't wait to be sitting around playing download multiplayer with my cousins.

ammie

Smash Cadet
So can I buy the 3D version disk and play it on my wii with a regular tv screen to get the 3D effect? Or should I use a 3D tv to get the effect?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They wanted more advanced techniques and faster gameplay. Compared to Melee, Brawl is pretty slow, and focuses more on limiting options rather than just spacing, speed, and combos. Not that one is better than the other... (bananas and strawberries are both good)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What I don't get is why some people hated Brawl. I'm just curious, why did some people find it a disappointment?
Floatier gameplay, a slow paced game thanks to hitstun being removed. Random tripping, defensive play is rewarded more than offensive play. That's just a couple of grievances.

dins.fire

Smash Rookie
well, on the topic of rewards and solo play in ssb3d (or whatever they call it) instead of having a level up system, they should just make it so you can unlock things like different moves for your player, so for example you could unlock the option to make links boomerang the gale boomerang that might do less damage but draw in opponents, or say for mario, you could unlock the ability to make him shoot ice instead of fire which does less damage, but slows down/freezes the opponent. another idea i had was complete costume overhauls like making peach look like rosalina or pauline, or olimar look like louie. so nothing that alters the fighter to much and nothing to make it unbalanced, just fun little changes to mix it up.
some ideas i had were:

peach: pulls out toadette instead of toad, who does less damage but defends for longer.

mario: changes fludd to the spin attack from melee/64

kirby: premade outfits, fire and ice. the would take away his ability to absorb other peoples powers but give him the ability to breath fire or shoot ice.

Pikachu: changes his up special to fly (yes he can learn it in the Pokemon games through events) or surf (same as fly) fly would act like snakes recovery but with balloons which would pop one by one and would leave him helpless in the air once they all pop, and surf which would act like squirtle's waterfall but we would use a surf board that does extra damage if it touches the opponent.

also I think that the focus shouldn't just be on solo play but also on a quick fun smash bros. game that you can carry around with you anywhere you go, so they should make the menus and character selection quick and ad the option to pause and turn of in the middle of a match and return to it later so say if you get on a bus, play for a bit but get to your destination before you finish, you can pause tur off the 3ds and return to it later.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I SHOULD PROBABLY BE POSTING THIS HERE.

For those worried that the 3DS version wouldn't be able to handle much due to only having 8 GB to work with (which is silly because Brawl had that same amount), I've been looking over Brawl's data to see how much space THINGS take up. Brawl's character data amounted to roughly 600 MB (around 15 MB each), stages about 150 MB, music is close to 1 GB, can't really be ARSED to count up the amount of space items take, but I'll estimate 100 MB. So just for good measure, let's round that all up to 2 GB.

Now let's assume Sm4sh 3DS has graphics equal to Brawl, double all of that, and that still leaves 4 GB of space for whatever else.

So this all comes back to what everyone is worrying about: 3DS is entirely capable of handling a nearly 50 character roster. So there you go, you can have all the same characters from the WiiU version no problem.

EDIT: Should a hacker (who has MORE CONVENIENT ACCESS to this sort of information) stumble upon this, then PLEASE correct anything here. I'm pretty much begging you.

D

Deleted member

@Oasis_S: I'm pessimistic about universal roster, but all I have to say that despite being extremely pessimistic that I really hope you're right.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
3DS can't run graphics equal to Brawl.

It however, can run graphics equal to Melee.

OCD_PerFectionist

Smash Rookie

@UltiMario

Sorry, but you sir are incorrect! In the Iwata ask interview with the dev team for OOT 3D Iwata asked why they did'nt make the new game better looking like the last game Twilight Princess (Wii). They simply stated that they had the ability to do it, but they wanted it to look like it was supposed to look like back in 1995. (Unfortunately they could'nt do this because of the 64 compatability.) I think that if they are able to make OOT look like TP then 3DS could easily pull off SSBB graphics, SBBB graphics were'nt even that great. BTw have you seen Resident Evil: Revelations? It makes me think its for PS3.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

The point being, even if it had graphics equal to Brawl, it could still fit in loads of new characters/stages/music/whatever. I was going for the upper range of how large the size could be.

If it had Melee graphics, that's EVEN MORE space for stuff.

I'm not really sure of the difference graphics would make anyway. Texture resolution, polygon count, number of frames... I suppose they'd roughly double in size (since the Wii is about as powerful as two GameCube's).

OCD_PerFectionist

Smash Rookie
The point being, even if it had graphics equal to Brawl, it could still fit in loads of new characters/stages/music/whatever. I was going for the upper range of how large the size could be.

If it had Melee graphics, that's EVEN MORE space for stuff.

I'm not really sure of the difference graphics would make anyway. Texture resolution, polygon count, number of frames... I suppose they'd roughly double in size (since the Wii is about as powerful as two GameCube's).
If you were to compare specifications with 3DS and GC you'd see 3DS is probably the power of about 1& 1/2 Gamecubes/ or gamecube and cube. From looks of specs I think the 3DS could pull of any Wii games graphics.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@UltiMario

Sorry, but you sir are incorrect! In the Iwata ask interview with the dev team for OOT 3D Iwata asked why they did'nt make the new game better looking like the last game Twilight Princess (Wii). They simply stated that they had the ability to do it, but they wanted it to look like it was supposed to look like back in 1995. (Unfortunately they could'nt do this because of the 64 compatability.) I think that if they are able to make OOT look like TP then 3DS could easily pull off SSBB graphics, SBBB graphics were'nt even that great. BTw have you seen Resident Evil: Revelations? It makes me think its for PS3.
Twilight Princess has the exact same graphics on the Gamecube version as the Wii version- and Brawl runs more disc space and higher quality textures along with it.

Twilight Princess is still within the realm of GC, Brawl's graphics are beyond that point. You can't get the 3DS to run Brawl's graphics, but they certainly can run higher than TP's. Also factor into the mix that they have to run 3D on everything- it's just plain unviable space-wise or to run something as mighty looking as TP on a game series that already takes up a good amount of data itself. It's a possibility- but an unlikely one at best.

Also, it's not 1.5x GC, it's like 1.37x or something along those lines. Where on the other hand, the Wii can run graphics that are like... 4x better than the GC lol

OCD_PerFectionist

Smash Rookie
Twilight Princess has the exact same graphics on the Gamecube version as the Wii version- and Brawl runs more disc space and higher quality textures along with it.

Twilight Princess is still within the realm of GC, Brawl's graphics are beyond that point. You can't get the 3DS to run Brawl's graphics, but they certainly can run higher than TP's. Also factor into the mix that they have to run 3D on everything- it's just plain unviable space-wise or to run something as mighty looking as TP on a game series that already takes up a good amount of data itself. It's a possibility- but an unlikely one at best.

Also, it's not 1.5x GC, it's like 1.37x or something along those lines. Where on the other hand, the Wii can run graphics that are like... 4x better than the GC lol
Oh yeah... You win haha. No way Wii is 4x maybe 2.3x

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
GUUUYS
OK, so Melee and Brawl both had 2 Retro characters. One classic and one historical.
Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, then Pit and ROB.
I want to keep up this pattern with my roster, which will have exclusive characters.
But I cannot think of a historical/WTF 3DS character.
Maybe something for the Gameboy? Would Nester be possible?
Something equivalent to Game & Watch and ROB, for handhelds. Pweeze?

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
@dins.fire Nice ideas about unlocking new abilities

I really hope that the 3DS game doesn't extend the lackluster SSE for the "single-player experience." I hate that thing; could have been so much better.

In regards to a universal roster; if both games have the same characters, I will end up getting the console version due to it probably having better online options.

What if both games have the same number of characters/slots BUT have exclusives on each. If they did it that way, I will most likely get both versions.

& yes Brawl's graphics are dull.

OCD_PerFectionist

Smash Rookie
GUUUYS
OK, so Melee and Brawl both had 2 Retro characters. One classic and one historical.
Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, then Pit and ROB.
I want to keep up this pattern with my roster, which will have exclusive characters.
But I cannot think of a historical/WTF 3DS character.
Maybe something for the Gameboy? Would Nester be possible?
Something equivalent to Game & Watch and ROB, for handhelds. Pweeze?
Easy, Sukapon (Nintendo character from NES) and Little Mac (Nintendo SNES)

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Easy, Sukapon (Nintendo character from NES) and Little Mac (Nintendo SNES)
Um...
First of all, neither of these characters are representative of handhelds. At all. One is NES exclusive and one is SNES exclusive.
Second of all, neither of those is a historical character in the same vein as Mr. Game & Watch or ROB. You COULD say Sukapon is, but he's not.
Third of all, if I was going to include a character that isn't from a video game or made by Nintendo, it would be Nester. Not Captain N.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ok, ok ok.

First off, portable smashbros = best smashbros. The 3DS version will include multi-player, that's what the game has always been about. If anything, they'll save extensive campaign modes for the Wii - U version. Want to smash with your friends? On the Metro? No problem! Smashbros is now portable!

Second, this version will have some sort of character customization, which I'm interpreting as mii's, but hopefully it will include other stuff as well.

Thirdly, Johnkight1! Haven't seen you in a while. I haven't been to this site in forever, but I remember your name for some reason and your on my friends list, so hows it going?

Lastly, and most importantly, Ridley will be a playable character, and furthermore reach god tier, the meta-knight of Sm4sh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom