• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Play Control: Gamecube games for Wii

POKE40

Smash Lord
If you have heard it or not.
Its out there.
New Play Control!

Nintendo has released, not so long ago, some new thing they are working where they turn the "masterpieces of gamecube games" into "the same gamecube game you love with wii controls!" So its gamecube games revamped into the Wii's control scheme.

Here is a list of whats been out and whats planned:

Please keep in mind this is US release dates:
  • Mario Power Tennis: released March 6, 2009
  • Pikmin: released March 6, 2009
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat: release date May 4, 2009
  • Metroid Prime: release date unknown
  • Metroid Prime 2: release date unknown
  • Pikmin 2: release date unknown TBA 2009
  • Chibi-Robo!: release date unknown
I found the UK release Dates! Here they are:
  • Pikmin: released February 6, 2009
  • Mario Power Tennis: released March 6, 2009
  • Pikmin 2: release date April 24, 2009
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat: Summer 2009
  • Metroid Prime: release date unknown
  • Metroid Prime 2: release date unknown
  • Chibi-Robo!: release date unknown
I also have Japan release Dates:
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat: released December 11, 2008
  • Pikmin: December 25, 2008
  • Mario Power Tennis: January 15, 2009
  • Metroid Prime: February 19, 2009
  • Pikmin 2: March 12, 2009
  • Metroid Prime 2: release date unknown TBA 2009
  • Chibi-Robo!: release date unknown TBA 2009
Apparently Japan has most of the games already...since 08' :mad:

You can visit www.nintendo.com for more information on this.
So what is your opinion on this?
Great idea or total waste of time.

I personally think this is sorta awesome. Specially for the Metroid Series. <3
I also believe this is Nintendo's elaborate plan on getting money. THis is probably a way that Nintendo is trying to do to bypass hardcore gamers like us...

So discuss your opinion.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think this is an awesome waste of the main company's time that I'd really rather have delegated to a third party while Nintendo's first and second parties actually work on a new title.

I already own Pikmin and I won it, when am I gonna get a Pikmin 3?

POKE40

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo is trying to somewhat feed hardcore gamers.. but it makes me quite angry for them doing this to us. Nintendo will end up messing with this stuff so they could get revenue.

Nintendo has to learn to stop neglecting the 'hardcore' gamers... and give us a game we can play. Seriously. They don't even have a Star Fox game out yet, but yet, Sonic already has over 3 games out on wii: Sonic Unleashed, coming soon Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and the spinoff games: Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, and a new one Mario and Sonic at the WINTER Olympic Games. Yet and not one Starfox game even announced yet or a Kirby game yet for the Wii.

):

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't have any of those games, but the only one that looks interesting is Pikmin.

I guess it wouldn't be that much of a waste to buy new pikmin, but the gamecube version is probably cheaper.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Sonic isn't made by Nintendo.

Which is why Sonic's camera is always bad and his controls even worse.

Sonic was the reason I stopped believing a 3rd party developer could ever make a game on a Nintendo system that could ever compare to Mario.

And for the core gamers - Starfox has been in a downward spiral and Kirby seems to be unworkable in the third dimention. Which is why I'm very happy with Pokemon Platinum right now. Kirby and Starfox are not treated well by the demand that Nintendo make the most of it's technology.

However, what's really annoying is the fact that there have been zero core wii games from Nintendo in over a year, and it doesn't appear that this will resolve itself in the near future. I bought a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games. Where are all the Nintendo games I want to buy?

POKE40

Smash Lord
Sonic isn't made by Nintendo.

Which is why Sonic's camera is always bad and his controls even worse.

Sonic was the reason I stopped believing a 3rd party developer could ever make a game on a Nintendo system that could ever compare to Mario.

And for the core gamers - Starfox has been in a downward spiral and Kirby seems to be unworkable in the third dimention. Which is why I'm very happy with Pokemon Platinum right now. Kirby and Starfox are not treated well by the demand that Nintendo make the most of it's technology.

However, what's really annoying is the fact that there have been zero core wii games from Nintendo in over a year, and it doesn't appear that this will resolve itself in the near future. I bought a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games. Where are all the Nintendo games I want to buy?
I agree with this.
DSi is coming out soon. watch for that.

Pokemon Platinum: 3 days till release! :D
Looking at all the games Nintendo made so far.....this is a must.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with this.
DSi is coming out soon. watch for that.

Pokemon Platinum: 3 days till release! :D
Looking at all the games Nintendo made so far.....this is a must.
Well, I have the money for Platinum at the moment, I might just get that.

Hmm...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I still have yet to get Metroid Prime 1 so I'll pick that up when I get the chance, I also made the terrible mistake of selling Pikmin out of frustration 7-8 years ago so I have to buy it again.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm deciding whether or not I want to play Pikmin. Definetly getting Metroid Prime 1 and 2, wii controls should be fun.

SolidLegend

Smash Rookie
I'm starting not to like Nintendo because of this, and other things. But this is the main thing that pisses me of about Nintendo's new strategy. As a lot of people have noticed, they're trying to scab money of casuals Casuel gamers are gonna buy these games because they may have never heard of these Gamecube titles or the Gamecube it self. The thing is, Nintendo is racking in all this money for just strapping on bad Wii controls, on one of their previous titles and overcharging them, when people could get them of eBay for $20AUD without the Wii controls.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Kirby and Starfox are not treated well by the demand that Nintendo make the most of it's technology.
True, I haven't seen a Starfox game in a long time. Kirby Super Star Ultra was an awesome remake of the greatest Kirby game of all time, that got the fan base back alive, but we need a newer Kirby game to keep it active. ♥

Also, the New Play Control is a waste of money if you have this with the Gamecube. But there's so many people that bought a Wii than a Gamecube, and these great game's that's on the New Play Control were made. I know it would be better if newer game's were made, but this is almost like the idea like the GBA games that use to be on Super Famicom got moved to the GBA games. ♥

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I just read up on a review on the Power tennis review from Game informer. Like many of you, they are upset about Nintendo just rewrapping an old game with new controls, but then again, anything to stop the sucky "casual" games. According to said review, the controls have actually made the game BETTER, not worse (which is awkward, as it is typically the case). There is a lack of new content, so the score was only 8.25 (still high considering wii standards).

I actually do look forward to Metroid prime (and possibly echoes), as I liked the controls on corruption, and as long as the controls stay almost the same (replace hyper mode with beam selection is about it), and control wise, they're ready to go. Hopefully the new Metroid Primes have a spring ball, as double bomb jumping is a pain in the ***.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
From what I have heard Mario Power tennis isn't that great. I own but I haven't gotten a chance to play it. Too busy with Madworld lately.

I look forward to Metroid, I missed them during the gamecube era. I like Metroid Prime 3, so I am hoping those two deliver. The reduced price is also nice. I am finding more and more lately that I don't really like shelling out 50+ for a game.

I heard pikmin 2 is much better than the first game so I might pick that up. I really didn't like Pikmin one at all, so I hope the second delivers.

I loved Junglebeat. I am just unsure that the wii controls will really work with the game. It seems you can still do combos and stuff, but the game seems a bit off to me though. Hopefully it will turn out well.

I kind of like the strategy. Nintendo needs to step back a bit and let third parties be successful. Also this allows the new gamers to play the amazing gamecube games that they missed. Not to mention this is a great way to get people ready for Pikmin three which may come out early Q4.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So, wait, rather than creating proper SEQUELS for these games that people obviously want, they give us the same games with new controls? AWESOME idea Nintendo, but you already did this with Resident Evil 4 and Super Mario Sunshine. The difference with those games is they were actually fun and the controls were new enough to make a difference. Now?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
From what I have heard Mario Power tennis isn't that great. I own but I haven't gotten a chance to play it.
From what I've heard it's what Wii Tennis should have been, but I can't say that myself, hasn't come out here yet. I'll probably get Metroid 1 and two since I don't own them already, and pikmin 2 (since it was near imposible to get here) but I don't like it :/

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Or, you could get Excitebots.

I hate new play control as much as anybody but really, there is a new game , excitebots, coming out very soon. It's a sequel, but it has robots. and racing. And it's really original.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/964/964992p1.html

Seriously, if you do not like/want remakes of old games, buy new games. DO NOT buy the remakes, as saying you don't like something, then buying it anyway, especially when there is an extremely creative and original game that comes out within a month of it, is not only a bad, hypocritical idea, but when done in bulk, it leads Nintendo to make more "New Play control" and less creativite, interesting IPs.

Madworld is an awesome game, and Excitebots is an interesting IP made by Nintendo itself. There is NO reason to buy the remakes, no matter how good they were remade, when they come out in such close proximity of original games that actually look like they are worth buying.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm definetly going to pick up Madworld and excite bots.

And who said anything about buying the Wii play games? ; ) My money goes to good new games

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Great. Get games that we can already play on the wii. Awesome effort guys. Just spectacular.

On the plus side, I'd honestly say that the GC games are loads better than some of the wii games, so its not THAT terrible. And my since I don't have any more memory on my GC cards and my wii's gc memory card slots went bye bye...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Ah, nevermind then (to Mic).

Although, admittedly, I might get
buy
Klonoa. I know it's a remake, but it looks good, and I never played the original.

What do you mean by "my wii's gc memory card slots went bye-bye"?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I'm probably gonna get Pikmin seeing as I've actually never played the Pikmin series before. That's pretty much one good thing about this whole thing.

Other than that, waste of time and resources. Start working on new games. >.>

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What's funny is that looking at the list. There are nothing but games that sold well or are easily marketable. The reasoning? They already broke even/made a profit on these games the first go-round, and changing the controls will not be a huge programming responsibility, so they spend little to nothing to make even more money.

This is a smart business move, but it hurts gamers. They also can say "at least we aren't ignore the core fans anymore!" If they rerelease Melee like this with online, you know that is EXACTLY what they are trying to do - get hardcore gamers to shut the **** up and not bash their new games.

POKE40

Smash Lord
True^^^
I find this a incredible smart business move.
They got all the supplies. They just need to switch the controls.

If melee gets released..w/ online. I'm switching for good. That would put a lot of money in Nintendo's pockets.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Yeah, I just read up on a review on the Power tennis review from Game informer. Like many of you, they are upset about Nintendo just rewrapping an old game with new controls, but then again, anything to stop the sucky "casual" games. According to said review, the controls have actually made the game BETTER, not worse (which is awkward, as it is typically the case). There is a lack of new content, so the score was only 8.25 (still high considering wii standards).

I actually do look forward to Metroid prime (and possibly echoes), as I liked the controls on corruption, and as long as the controls stay almost the same (replace hyper mode with beam selection is about it), and control wise, they're ready to go. Hopefully the new Metroid Primes have a spring ball, as double bomb jumping is a pain in the ***.
There's a video on YouTube that contains the information you seek. They implemented the spring ball from Corruption, beam-switching menu in place of Hypermode, and the free-aim system.

The only thing I'm pissed about is Japan getting Metroid Prime first, even though it was developed in Texas.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime, the series could work great with the controls. The "hardcore" gamers seemed to appreciate the series.

Pikmin, it is a cult classic. The wiimote controls probably won't do much for the game, but it is a game that the blue ocean crowd could get into. Also a good way to get people ready for Pikmin 3.

Mario Tennis, an improved version of wii tennis, which is the most popular wii sport game. They probably hope that it could enjoy the success of Mario Kart wii or at least do better than sluggers.

Donkey Kong Junglebeat. I am not really sure. The game is awesome but what is the appeal of moving it to the wii? For a drum based game it was pretty "hardcore." Maybe fun for kids?

Pikmin 3, Punch out, Wii sport resort, and Excitebots. So nintendo has 3 everyone games and 1 specifically for the blue ocean, but hopes that M+ will force the core gamers to purchase it.

"Awesome rack on her though."

The wii does have some pretty decent third party support this year at least.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So let me get this straight

1. The Nintendo hardcore are not only complaining about remakes. (But when other companies remake games with little to no change it's somehow fine)

2. And Nintendo said they were doing games like this before the Wii was even released, and you're complaining about it NOW?

The Nintendo 'hardcore': Being illogical in their train of thought since the N64. lol

So, wait, rather than creating proper SEQUELS for these games that people obviously want, they give us the same games with new controls? AWESOME idea Nintendo, but you already did this with Resident Evil 4 and Super Mario Sunshine. The difference with those games is they were actually fun and the controls were new enough to make a difference. Now?
Except here's the thing, if those proper sequels are made, will the 'hardcore' buy them. I doubt it. They say they want hardcore games but never show them any attention. It's like a woman who says she wants a decent man only to ignore them and be with crappy men. Obviously the hardcore suffers from battered-wife syndrome. lol

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

1. The Nintendo hardcore are not only complaining about remakes. (But when other companies remake games with little to no change it's somehow fine)

It's not remakes, it's a port.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Ports, remakes, they're all the same in my eyes. And it still doesn't disprove my point.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The only reason I don't bash the "new play control" series is that the whole series requires extremely little of Nintendo's resources and time compared to anything else they could work on, and I got Pokemon Platinum today.

Wohoo!

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I don't bash the "new play control" series is that the whole series requires extremely little of Nintendo's resources and time compared to anything else they could work on, and I got Pokemon Platinum today.

Wohoo!
Good point. I guess it isn't that bad after all.

2. And Nintendo said they were doing games like this before the Wii was even released, and you're complaining about it NOW?

The Nintendo 'hardcore': Being illogical in their train of thought since the N64. lol

Except here's the thing, if those proper sequels are made, will the 'hardcore' buy them. I doubt it. They say they want hardcore games but never show them any attention. It's like a woman who says she wants a decent man only to ignore them and be with crappy men. Obviously the hardcore suffers from battered-wife syndrome. lol
I, for one, did not know that they planned to do so in the first place.

But think. Most "hardcore" gamers will probably already have these games in the first place. How many are going to practically re-buy the same game?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I, for one, did not know that they planned to do so in the first place.

But think. Most "hardcore" gamers will probably already have these games in the first place. How many are going to practically re-buy the same game?
*raises hand*

The potential of online Metroid Prime 2: Echoes multiplayer makes me happy inside.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
MP2's multiplayer was terribly boring for me, even more so for my friends. I never played Metroid for anything other than single player anyway.

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
no this is called a ploy to make money. it must have been so easy and cheap for nintendo to produce this and then they expect fans to buy the same game so they can play tennis in a gimmicky style? nah im not falling for it.

Top Bottom