• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Play Control: Gamecube games for Wii

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes, I've played melee recently. Yes, Brawl's controls are not as clunky as melee's. The only way melee controls better than Brawl is the ATs that were never intended to be used as a mask for some very annoying control problems; for example simply falling through a platform takes more time and effort than in Brawl, and it is generally much harder to space in melee without knowing how to wavedash with precision.
I don't understand how the game is so much slower and clunkier without ATs if I find it faster and I don't use ATs at all. I cannot wavedash except once or twice in a row with Luigi. And I suck with Luigi so I never use him.

You know, to each his own, but Brawl is not faster, ATs or no ATs.

Not only that, but you are right. Nintendo does not really care about you, and the sooner you realize that the sooner you should be able to move on. The company policy has been to focus on newer gamers and making the industry as main-stream as possible, because they themselves said competing against the Xbox 360 and the PS3 has proven infeasible, in other words, high-power and highly complex games for core gamers stopped being a survivable market for the company. I actually advise you buy a different system if you dislike Brawl, because the wii won't be your system of choice for a few years at least.

Incidently, I really want a PS3 after a price drop. I don't think the wii is going to be a good system for me for at least a few years.
I realized that about a year ago, so I already have a 360. I realize Nintendo's marketing goes money > new gamers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> loyal fans.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I realized that about a year ago, so I already have a 360. I realize Nintendo's marketing goes money > new gamers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> loyal fans.
If you already know this, then why are you complaining on internet forums to strangers?

getting back on topic, how bout a luigis mansion remake? i think that would be pretty cool. you could like use the wiimote as the vacuum to suck up ghosts.
I guess, but why? Luigi's Mansion controlled pretty uniquely and well with it's original control scheme.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you already know this, then why are you complaining on internet forums to strangers?
Wh...?

First of all, I wasn't complaining. That "...Oh wait, they don't care about us." thing was a joke.

Second of all, I only said something in reply to you talking about how Brawl was such a good seller because of its decreased learning curve. (Which I disagree with, I still say Brawl sold well because of Melee and DOJO hype.)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wh...?

First of all, I wasn't complaining. That "...Oh wait, they don't care about us." thing was a joke.

Second of all, I only said something in reply to you talking about how Brawl was such a good seller because of its decreased learning curve. (Which I disagree with, I still say Brawl sold well because of Melee and DOJO hype.)
Do you really want to start a quote war, where I quote you complaining five or six times to correct your correction of me, and then you quote me being hypocritical and then I explain to you that I was complaining to demonstrate the problems of something that it seemed like you or someone else wasn't aware of, etc. etc.?

Or should we just talk about how much we want New Play Control Halo? because that would be awesome.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Firus you're having a circular argument with someone else?

I thought what we had was SPECIAL! :O

Alzi

Smash Master
How did melee and brawl sales and all that get into a new play control thread. :p

I really want new play control Wind Waker as i said before but i don't think it will happen. Mario toadstool golf i see happening though.

M.K

Level 55
Can we stop this Melee vs. Brawl debate? Who cares, it doesn't solve anything and both sides look **** ******** arguing about it anyways.

Let's please get back on topic:

NPC Remakes < Sequels.

NPC Remakes = Laziness.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
How did melee and brawl sales and all that get into a new play control thread. :p
Someone said that they should remake Melee with online gameplay, and then it all went to Hell from there.

Yeah, though, there needs to be more time before they can reasonably be making remakes for games from the gamecube.

Alzi

Smash Master
Oh i see. Melee will never happen though to that person who wanted it. :p

Meta-Kirby sequels are definatley better then the new play control but they probally will still make sequels aswell. Alot of people think sequels won't even be coming because of all this new play control but who knows they just might. ;)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, but meanwhile I've heard nothing about any sort of Metroid game since Metroid Prime 3 was released a year and a half ago. And the last handheld "Metroid" we got three years ago and it hardly even counts as a real Metroid game, whether or not it was enjoyable.

Except for MP1 and MP2 remakes for NPC. So no, I don't really see sequels coming.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeah, but meanwhile I've heard nothing about any sort of Metroid game since Metroid Prime 3 was released a year and a half ago. And the last handheld "Metroid" we got three years ago and it hardly even counts as a real Metroid game, whether or not it was enjoyable.

Except for MP1 and MP2 remakes for NPC. So no, I don't really see sequels coming.
I have also heard nothing about any sort of canon Mario game since Galaxy was released. Nor any sort of Excitetruck sequel until two months ago.

Let's simply assume that there are not going to be any major first party Nintendo franchises released on the wii this year (the only one even marked on a calender is Kirby, which has been pushed back year after year for five years), and buy more third party games. I hear that EA's coming out with a tennis game that supports motion plus, and both are coming out this June.
Although I really wish I liked Tennis games. It would have made the EA thing mildly interesting.

The Conduit is also looking like it has the controls we always wanted.

Is it just me, or have Nintendo games always had better controls than any other publisher?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If you're talking about Wii games only, of course Nintendo's games already have superior controls. It's their system. lol

Pre seventh generation though, Sega was pretty good with controls. And then Sammy bought them. =\

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If you're talking about Wii games only, of course Nintendo's games already have superior controls. It's their system. lol

Pre seventh generation though, Sega was pretty good with controls. And then Sammy bought them. =\
Actually, I was talking every generation across every console. I never owned a Sega system, so I have no idea how good Sega controls were. However, I found the first party best of the gamecube a bit stronger than the best third party games on the PS2, and I found both of them a bit stronger than the Xbox 360 first party. Part of the problem I had with 360 though is that as the controllers age, they can cause you character to move in spite of being in the neutral position, which is a controller problem and not an actual issue with the programming. Not only that, but I've yet to play a third party game on any Nintendo system that has better controls than their first party counterparts, which I thought was normal until I saw the 3rd party PS2 and Xbox 360 support match the brands' respective first party counterparts.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Huh? Why? Both Fusion and Zero Mission were great games.
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm talking about Metroid Prime Hunters. Minimal item collection, easy-as-hell story, focus on multiplayer, etc. I didn't get that much enjoyment out of the game, but even for those who did it's not a true Metroid game, it's a complete spin-off.

If you're asking why I'm anxious for another handheld because Fusion and Zero Mission were great, don't get me wrong -- I love both of them. Today I just finished my 29th run through Fusion. I think I've done 6 through Zero Mission. It's just...been quite a while since we got a 2D Metroid (which is highly preferable; I don't care if the DS can handle Metroid Prime-style games, I want 2D, as that's clearly where it shines the most).

I have also heard nothing about any sort of canon Mario game since Galaxy was released. Nor any sort of Excitetruck sequel until two months ago.
Since when is Excite Truck a huge "When's the next one coming?" title? Just because it's first party doesn't really put it up with the main Nintendo franchises, not yet anyways. I wasn't even expecting a sequel until I knew it was getting one.

Also, we've never get a non-spin-off Mario game on a console twice in one generation since the SNES.

Let's simply assume that there are not going to be any major first party Nintendo franchises released on the wii this year (the only one even marked on a calender is Kirby, which has been pushed back year after year for five years), and buy more third party games. I hear that EA's coming out with a tennis game that supports motion plus, and both are coming out this June.
Although I really wish I liked Tennis games. It would have made the EA thing mildly interesting.

The Conduit is also looking like it has the controls we always wanted.

Is it just me, or have Nintendo games always had better controls than any other publisher?
I'm not entirely focused on anything regarding the Wii unless it's Metroid, since it's my favorite franchise. I have a lot of games, old and new(er) to buy when I've got cash to spare so unless it's Metroid I'm probably not spending $50 on anything in the near future.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm not entirely focused on anything regarding the Wii unless it's Metroid, since it's my favorite franchise. I have a lot of games, old and new(er) to buy when I've got cash to spare so unless it's Metroid I'm probably not spending $50 on anything in the near future.
To be honest, I have a lot of money to spend, but I'm also picky and cheap, but more imporantly bored. I'm too cheap to buy a PS3, find more games worth playing on the Wii than the Xbox because of issues I have with the 360's primary genres and styles, and bored enough with my wii to overlook the fact that I generally would buy none of the games I'm pointing out. I'm settling for De Blob and Excite Bots in spite of not particularly seeing anything interesting about them, because nothing else that is interesting to me is within a price I'm willing to pay.

I really want a $100 PS3 price cut.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Honestly, I wouldn't call you cheap for not buying a PS3, it's just uber expensive. Personally I've not found much interest in the system (partially due to the price tag), but to each his own.

I seriously have a whole mental list of games that I need to get, and I need to make a physical one already so I know what exactly I'm doing. For example, I still need Metroid for NES, the two Zeldas for NES, a few N64 games that were recommended to me as well as a handful which I bought on VC but now need for the original system, Pikmin 1 + 2(I played the NPC demo at GameStop and I enjoyed it, so I'm thinking the Pikmin 2 demo I played once just confused me; so now I want to get both of them, but NOT the NPC versions), TWEWY, Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations, Apollo Justice....

The list drags on and on, it's really quite annoying. People will be like "You need to get this game!" and nearly every time I have to say "I know, it's on my 'To get' list."

On top of all of that, there's no way I'm going to buy the NPC games. I could get Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 but I don't imagine they'll be that much better for NPC, and I don't know when they're getting released anyways.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
On top of all of that, there's no way I'm going to buy the NPC games. I could get Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 but I don't imagine they'll be that much better for NPC, and I don't know when they're getting released anyways.
If I were you, I would get NPC Pikmin unless the original Pikmins were significantly cheaper.

Pikmin 1 NPC is out, and in addition to new controls, it also has an option to redo previous days at the expense of the progress you made after the day you choose to redo. Before, you could only redo a day by choosing not to save the data for that day. In addition, the gamecube controls were somewhat hard to learn, making it difficult for a new player to win under the thirty in-game day time limit. I haven't played or seen NPC Pikmin, but I'm fairly sure you would do yourself a disservice buying the old play control game over it simply because of semantics. Picking the originals because they are cheaper makes sense though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only game I like to see them redo is Kirby Air Ride, if they can update the game and have better controls on the game that is. So far, I guess they only do big title Gamecube games, so I guess they won't don Kirby Air Ride. D=

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
From how far the NPC has come with no new titles announced, I think people should stop speculating titles unless you want to get disappointed. I'm pretty sure the list we have now is the list that's going to remain.

As for buying NPC over the original...meh, I'll think about it. It may seem stupid but I'm a stickler for getting the original, the original will be $10 cheaper (assuming the NPC version is $30 and the price of $20 on the original that I saw the other day remains), and I don't really want to support Nintendo in the NPC games unless there's a significant improvement, and one feature and new controls doesn't really seem worth it to me; not for a game that was released last generation.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Only game I like to see them redo is Kirby Air Ride, if they can update the game and have better controls on the game that is. So far, I guess they only do big title Gamecube games, so I guess they won't don Kirby Air Ride. D=
No offense, but what would they even do to change Air Ride for the NPC? I mean, it's just one button and one control stick. It can be easily played with one hand. Though, if it were on the Wii, I could play as two racers at once: one nunchuk in each hand. But I don't think there's really anything that's worth adding there without getting into things like new tracks, or an alternative city for city mode.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hm, well I just did a Google on the New Play Control Metroid Prime since I saw it was already released in Japan in the OP. I found this page describing the differences (or lack thereof in some cases);

>> You can reverse the assignment of the Jump and Fire buttons.
>> There is no Gamecube Controller support.
>> Hold + to select your beam weapon like how you'd hold - to select a visor.
>> Widescreen support added.
>> Scan Visor has been visually upgraded to the MP 3 style.
>> Hard Mode is available from the start. You don't have to unlock anymore.
>> The achievement system from MP 3 has been added. Tokens seem to only come in two types, but this needs verifying.
>> Sound test added. Listen to any in-game music you want without actually have to play the game.
>> Fusion Suit mode is back as an unlockable.
>> NES Metroid unlockable seems to have gone AWOL in the NPC version (needs verification). Nintendo would rather have people buy it from the Wii Shop Channel after all.
>> Some kind of narrator has been added that states your location when you begin a new play session since your last save. There is no word yet if this is just a standard narrator VA, Samus herself, or if Samus's Power Suit computer has been given VA. There is no word if this narrator has any other role in-game.
I was hoping for substantial changes, but none of these are. I have the Metroid Prime soundtrack on my iPod so I have no need for a Sound Test (that would actually be LESS convenient). The rest is either small visual changes, control changes, or things kept from the original. The narrator I think would actually ruin things; I think the best thing about Metroid Prime was that...dang, I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember it couldn't have been any earlier than just the other night, I read someone's description of Metroid Prime and how it was so great because it was just you and the planet. Rang in my head immediately as being completely true. Even a small voice will take away from that feeling, I think. I could be overreacting, but either way it's hardly a big change.

The achievement system is the most appealing and even that is just kind of...meh, lacking a point. I already have Hard Mode on the original so I don't need to buy a new game to unlock it myself.

Thoughts?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The narrator btw is supposedly the same as in the PAL version for Impact Crater. It was rather cool.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
No offense, but what would they even do to change Air Ride for the NPC? I mean, it's just one button and one control stick. It can be easily played with one hand. Though, if it were on the Wii, I could play as two racers at once: one nunchuk in each hand. But I don't think there's really anything that's worth adding there without getting into things like new tracks, or an alternative city for city mode.
Maybe I just want to see a Kirby game on Wii. ^_^;

But for real, this game wasn't very well known in the Gamecube ages, and if they would make a remake of this game, they should add things to it. Kirby Air Ride is a great game, it's just that there isn't too many things to do in that game. New race tracks on Air Ride, Top Ride, and City Trial would be nice, but however, after looking at the little changes on Mario Power Tennis, I guess that's not possible. As for controls, it was hard to glide, and spin when you had the GC controller, I guess they can change that with the Wii Controls, and the CPU AI on level 9 was nearly imposable to out race, they can fix that to, but those are my options, I'm sure there's many other remade controls they could have for this game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The narrator btw is supposedly the same as in the PAL version for Impact Crater. It was rather cool.
Hm, I suppose it couldn't be that bad, in fact probably pretty cool if it's played only when you go to the Impact Crater. But apparently, they play it when you first turn on the game and when you save. Seems like that would get a little annoying to me.

OH. One thing I want to know.

DID THEY FIX THIS? :mad:

http://www.metroid2002.com/version_differences_grapple_beam_cut_scene.php

I know it's not a huge deal but I feel TOTALLY ripped off.

And it doesn't really matter if they did or not since it's not going to be a huge thing factoring into my decision, I'm just curious to know if they decided to have sense.

M.K

Level 55
Maybe, but the controls were ********.

Accelerate: A
Break: A
Turning: A
Using an item: A
Heh, I remember that. The simplicity was great, though.

I encourage anybody new to the Pikmin games to pick up Pikmin 2 before Pikmin 1. I do not enjoy Pikmin 1 due to the day-to-day restrictions, and Pikmin 2 improves on it's predecessor in EVERY way.
I strongly encourage you to pick up Pikmin 2, you will not regret it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Heh, I remember that. The simplicity was great, though.

I encourage anybody new to the Pikmin games to pick up Pikmin 2 before Pikmin 1. I do not enjoy Pikmin 1 due to the day-to-day restrictions, and Pikmin 2 improves on it's predecessor in EVERY way.
I strongly encourage you to pick up Pikmin 2, you will not regret it.
To be honest, I thought the multiple time restrictions made Pikmin a bit more intense than it would have been without it.

I guess I'll pick up Pikmin 2 when I can get it cheap. I liked Pikmin 1 except that it wasn't varied enough for me, and my impression of Pikmin 2 is that it fixed that.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
To be honest, I thought the multiple time restrictions made Pikmin a bit more intense than it would have been without it.

I guess I'll pick up Pikmin 2 when I can get it cheap. I liked Pikmin 1 except that it wasn't varied enough for me, and my impression of Pikmin 2 is that it fixed that.
i would have to agree here. pikmin 2 is a fun game but it lost its strategy part. the time limit in pikmin 1 made it such a great strategy game since you had to plan out what you were gonna do every single day. instead of beating the game in 30 days, in pikmin 2 you could waste 30 days just building up pikmin.

i guess the only thing pikmin 2 has over 1 is that you get to explore the land more, thats pretty much it.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Bah. MAKE NEW GAEMS! I really don't care about this development, sadly. It seems quite pointless. They should work on making the Wiimote better instead. Improve the sensors so that it's actually enjoyable to the the freaking Wiimote. THEN I might care...

Seriously, where the **** is that first person sword game I've been hoping for ever since I even heard about the Wiimote?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Bah. MAKE NEW GAEMS! I really don't care about this development, sadly. It seems quite pointless. They should work on making the Wiimote better instead. Improve the sensors so that it's actually enjoyable to the the freaking Wiimote. THEN I might care...

Seriously, where the **** is that first person sword game I've been hoping for ever since I even heard about the Wiimote?
You mean Red Steel?

Top Bottom