• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Well, there you go. I'm going to go ahead and hold the smashfest on the friday before so we can roll on over there in the morning. Same deals as last time, except you guys might want to bring sleeping bags this time so we get, you know, sleep.

xion07

Smash Apprentice
How much do the gift cards have on them? lol

Also, how many people are expected to come to this atm?
Can we show up early to do friendly matches?

Twikite

Smash Rookie
How much do the gift cards have on them? lol

Also, how many people are expected to come to this atm?
Can we show up early to do friendly matches?
The gift card amounts will be based on the number of people (naturally), and there'll be a 60/30/10 split for the prizes after we account for the house cut.

The past two tournaments we held brought between 30 and 40 people, but we're utilizing some advertising channels this time around that we hadn't in the past, so we're prepared to accommodate more than that.

And we'll be setting everything up starting around 1:00, so if you want to show up a little after, you'll be able to get some practice matches in. And if anyone's willing to bring setups, we'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Gift cards really make me not wanna go :( We held a tourney at UNM a year or two ago, and we had cash prizes :D

Twikite

Smash Rookie
Gift cards really make me not wanna go :( We held a tourney at UNM a year or two ago, and we had cash prizes :D
No kidding? I'll check with our groups advisor, since that particular bit of info (about the no cash as prizes policy) came from the old president. Never heard it first-hand from any official types.

If it does turn out that GiftCards are necessary, they will be to GameStop.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry i haven't been active because of a busy school week :( If you haven't noticed the post time is around 1:15 am on friday :(

Anyways, Xion. We're friends on the forums now w00tz :) Also, as for any nearby smashfests, sure. I'm usually willing to hold smashfests upon request or personal boredom so, the next weekend I'm free is Oct 18th (oct 11 I have to take the PSAT)

Nolan, mind if I come over to your fest then hitch a ride off to UNM? I'll probably bring a TV and Wii also, Twikite (sp?)
I'm not entirely sure if I can go, I'll see later today.

And finally, I'm missing and have a few other extra things:

1. August, by chance do you have my white 51 block GCN memory card?
2. Who went to Nolan's fest last week and has my copy of brawl?
3. Why do I have an extra black GCN controller (no tape or name or anything)
4. Where is my VCR that's been gone for months now.

Sorry to be a *itch about this. Lately my living room has been feeling empty of entertainment :(

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey Steven
Do you still have that controller we lent you at Ninjamonkey?

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Neil - Remember, last weekend after the tournament I dropped you off at your house. I told you that your copy of Brawl was still in my wii. You were like "Dude, keep it, I don't play Brawl." I laughed and said I would get it back to you at the next smashfest.

Everett - No. I took it to one of Neil's smashfests a while ago, and I'm fairly sure it ended up in Erich's hands. I know that I didn't leave with it, in any case.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
@Neil- Awesome. :D
anywho, I have a new copy of brawl cause my old one got messed up :(
What happened to it dude? :( I'm so sorry...I'd doubt I'm willing enough to spend $50. I'm just not the type to re-buy video games. I'd be so pissed :mad:
[/sympathy]

Neil - Remember, last weekend after the tournament I dropped you off at your house. I told you that your copy of Brawl was still in my wii. You were like "Dude, keep it, I don't play Brawl." I laughed and said I would get it back to you at the next smashfest.
Everett - No. I took it to one of Neil's smashfests a while ago, and I'm fairly sure it ended up in Erich's hands. I know that I didn't leave with it, in any case.
ZOMG I totally forgot. Don't kill me, and I apologize for wrongly accusing you. Lulz. I must have chronic episodes of dyslexia or something.

No prob. Would be happy to see you guys there.
I appreciate it :) So, i'm very adamant about this extremely urgent and controversial issue: how about some bagels for next tourney?

I'll bring a setup. And money prizes are better than gift cards.
@Neil- Can you hold a smashfest this weekend (Or anyone for that matter)? I don't like doing nothing on Saturdays
Okay, I'm going to listen to you zack because i feel lonely...

SMASHFEST AT MY HOUSE
Yep, my house. Bring setups bring brawl/melee/video games/entertainment. Everyone's invited. Bring money for foodz if we go somewhere. On saturday september 27 starts around 2pm and sleepover if needed. We'll do stuff and stuff aight? it'll be like teh p00nz0rz w00tz zomg lolz liek srsly.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Hmm...does anyone know what happened to Lewis, Wraith, and for that matter...half of the brawl smashers in NM?

Anyways, I might be able to attend your fest Neil. Do you mind if I hand out some of my Christian sheets to others at the fest? It is your house after all...and I don't want to offend your family or your beliefs by imposing mine.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Neil, I can't make it. I have show tomorrow night at 7, and I need to be there at 3 to do some work.

xion07

Smash Apprentice
@neil, PM me your address again ok? I could make it but I wont be there until after 5, that cool? :D

Oh, a friend of mine scratched the disk(and you know how the double layer disk thing works)and it would not work. Luckily my friend gave me his copy. :)

I'm just happy there are a handful of us smashers still here. lol

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
You got it. And I probably won't be at the smash fest, I have nerdy magic activities that day.
Lulz, magic isn't the nerdiest evar. Srsly, you're talking to a 14 year old asian in junior year. But I should probably revisit TCG . . . it's been forever and i kinda miss it. really obsessive times though

Hmm...does anyone know what happened to Lewis, Wraith, and for that matter...half of the brawl smashers in NM?

Anyways, I might be able to attend your fest Neil. Do you mind if I hand out some of my Christian sheets to others at the fest? It is your house after all...and I don't want to offend your family or your beliefs by imposing mine.
Thank you for being oh-so-sensitive about religion as usual Paul. No problemo at all, feel free to make my house become the next haven for every single religious sect in the universe. In fact, why not make my house the new Vatican City, Salt Lake City, Mecca, and a monastery all at once?
[/rudeness] Okay that was probably offensive, sorry about that. I couldn't help but say that.
In all seriousness though, yes, I give you permission to conduct said activities.

LEWIS: If you can hear me I am done with Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and I must say, it was the best FE so far. So many improved things, I really enjoyed it. Thanks to battle saves I got my entire party at virtually every capped stat. It was ****ing da bomb. The storyline was really fitting and tied up every loose end about Tellius that I had since path of radiance. Lewis you can have my babies.

Neil, I can't make it. I have show tomorrow night at 7, and I need to be there at 3 to do some work.
Umm.... *sniff* I really still don't know basic brawl techniques like glide tossing because I'm not motivated enough or personally interested enough, and I see you as the perfect opportunity and best sensei for me. Someday everett . . . teach me the way of the brawl so that I can hate it even more...You are the light at the end of my ssbb-based tunnel. Alright that sounded terrible. Argh my point is: I wish you could come.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You got it. And I probably won't be at the smash fest, I have nerdy magic activities that day.
Prerelease looks like crap so far :(
tell me if any of the cards are actually good, k?

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Lulz, magic isn't the nerdiest evar. Srsly, you're talking to a 14 year old asian in junior year. But I should probably revisit TCG . . . it's been forever and i kinda miss it. really obsessive times though
Prerelease looks like crap so far :(
tell me if any of the cards are actually good, k?
Yeah, the new cards look like mostly limited fodder. I'm getting paid entry fee for 2hg so I don't have a real reason not to go.
Read these warnings Neil!! If you want to get back into a tcg, magic is about to hit a low point. IMO, it's not a good time. But I'm sure Matt, Nolan and I can set you up for casual. It really is a good game going through a bad time.

@everett: Yeah most of the cards are crap. The only good ones are multicolor, so it's another one of those 'shove a theme down your throat' sets. Limited might be fun, but constructed really gets the shaft, and due to the massive set-size reduction , limited will get boring really quickly. I'm not optimistic at all......

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
****. I'm not good at reading warnings. But I doubt I will even get into magic in the first place, I don't know a single thing about the magic system anyway.
I'm familiar with the yugioh system, but that one's already been dead for years.
soooo.... Someone help me out. Which TCG in your opinion has had the most active community lately? Preferably one that actually has players in albuquerque.

xion: well I don't collect yugioh cards anymore, but I still have my deck from around 2005 or earlier. But If you do have a deck, please bring it over. I'll be glad to learn how to duel again, my deck was barely worthy of tournament status back in '05 or earlier.

I think I stopped obsessing over yugioh after I saw the last episode of the final season AND when I saw the first episode of the horrid nuclear waste of a show called GX. That show was so much bull**** I don't even know where 4Kids is allowed to get off like that and spinoff 20 ******** kids that try to have good looking hair and attempt at the slightest horizon of a storyline in an isolated island. Whereas the original developed a sidestory and backscript aka Egyptian history. That aspect completely blew me away. Kazuki Takashi 4lyfe. 4kids 4death.

Okay I'm done with my rant. If Kazuki is out there somewhere and reading this message, I beg you, make a sequel!!! You never tied up the history behind Battle City!!!!

EDIT: I will be at Flying Star until 2pm or so, so call me when you are planning on coming and I'll say if you can or not.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
****. I'm not good at reading warnings. But I doubt I will even get into magic in the first place, I don't know a single thing about the magic system anyway.
I'm familiar with the yugioh system, but that one's already been dead for years.
soooo.... Someone help me out. Which TCG in your opinion has had the most active community lately? Preferably one that actually has players in albuquerque.
MtG still has a good community, and the game it still good. Just don't go competitive. I'd be glad to teach you about magic, and I'm sure Nolan will, too. The basics aren't that hard. I still don't know any other tcg that is doing this well, even when hasbro ***** it. Matt will be willing to help you with yugioh, if you want to play that. I know magic has a solid base, since they hold small tournaments 3 times a week. I can't testify to the yugioh base, since I don't play it. The only yugioh I pay any attention to is the abriged series.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Mtg has a great community actually. The inquisitive has tournies every week with a20-25 people showing up. While AI has great turn outs for their FNMs. I love the magic community. YGO community has ilke, 20 people, and they all goto Nobles down at Coors and Paseo.

Oooo, you should give me one of those sheets Paul. Serious. I have no idea what's been going down lately at Smashfests as I've been unable to attend any.

Hey Neil, what's up? You always get me at a bad time man...hehe, ah well. Next time you call me, I should be available...hopefully. Keep trying and eventually I'll be free, right?

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey Neil I saw Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's this morning. It was pretty bad.
Alright Zach, so I thought I talked to you about this at the fest. What is 5D's? Wasn't it supposed to be the most recent TAS episode? Well if that's true, I check the site and it still is on Seto Kaiba's Real Father. Is it something else or am I just ******** or is does LittleKuriboh just hate me or something.

MtG still has a good community, and the game it still good. Just don't go competitive. I'd be glad to teach you about magic, and I'm sure Nolan will, too. The basics aren't that hard. I still don't know any other tcg that is doing this well, even when hasbro ***** it. Matt will be willing to help you with yugioh, if you want to play that. I know magic has a solid base, since they hold small tournaments 3 times a week. I can't testify to the yugioh base, since I don't play it. The only yugioh I pay any attention to is the abriged series.
Yes, I only pay attention to Yugioh TAS as well. Now as for MTG, I guess I won't even collect any cards. It would still be a pleasure to learn about it. What do you mean by solid base though? does it just have an innovative card battle system or something? see this is why I want to explore new TCG interests, because I haven't seen anything from any TV commercials or websites or advertisements in like forever. what the hell is going on with TCG, I'm expecting 8 year old kids to be even more susceptible to that brainwashing these days :( :( :( ;) (I'm not a pedophile if that's what you're thinking) . . . or am I :lick:

Mtg has a great community actually. The inquisitive has tournies every week with a20-25 people showing up. While AI has great turn outs for their FNMs. I love the magic community. YGO community has ilke, 20 people, and they all goto Nobles down at Coors and Paseo.
Lies Everett Lies. There is no YGO community.

lol
So hows everyone doing? How did the smashfest go?
I am doing terrible actually xion. Why don't you come over and we can go over guidance counseling together :chuckle: lol that was sarcasm if you didn't catch it. (there's no sarcasms on the internetz.) the fest was fine, it was pretty usual, except for the fact that it took us all 1 FULL HOUR to decide where to eat. Srsly. Some went to Wendys, some tentatively went to Dions and then didn't. Nolan and I went to McDonalds and totaled Nolan's car when we came back :)

Oooo, you should give me one of those sheets Paul. Serious. I have no idea what's been going down lately at Smashfests as I've been unable to attend any.

Hey Neil, what's up? You always get me at a bad time man...hehe, ah well. Next time you call me, I should be available...hopefully. Keep trying and eventually I'll be free, right?
Yay Erich is talking to me!!! How about next time you can carpool with Paul. August already pools with him, and sometimes I swear I see you, everett, and paul sometimes come here separately and then I get confused. I get really confused. But otherwise, I commend you for having the courage and knowledge to babysit 8 children. Time for a touchy internet moment: Erich, I seriously believe you will make a fantastic father someday. Make me proud :) hugs and kisses yep yep. Try and keep friday evening free this week though, you need to go to Nolan's house so I can beat the homosexual named marth.

Steven. Take my melee case and take your SC4 case back to your house already. That includes the TV which I almost forgot about. I'm tired of keeping stuff from other people. I wouldn't make a very good thief. That includes the BLACK GCN CONTROLLER I STILL HAVE.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
the fest was fine, it was pretty usual, except for the fact that it took us all 1 FULL HOUR to decide where to eat. Srsly. Some went to Wendys, some tentatively went to Dions and then didn't. Nolan and I went to McDonalds and totaled Nolan's car when we came back :)
You seem to have left out the part of the fest where Davis almost killed us and your beautiful rock garden, XD. Also, my car is awesome fine.

xion07

Smash Apprentice
@neil- lol don't worry, I saw the sarcasm. :p Dang I still wish I could have gone :( maybe next time or at nolans. Also, I've learned some other combos with Ike. :D

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Yes, I only pay attention to Yugioh TAS as well. Now as for MTG, I guess I won't even collect any cards. It would still be a pleasure to learn about it. What do you mean by solid base though? does it just have an innovative card battle system or something? see this is why I want to explore new TCG interests, because I haven't seen anything from any TV commercials or websites or advertisements in like forever. what the hell is going on with TCG, I'm expecting 8 year old kids to be even more susceptible to that brainwashing these days :( :( :( ;) (I'm not a pedophile if that's what you're thinking) . . . or am I :lick:
I mean that it has a solid base in that lots of people play in tournaments, and you can get casual games anytime people are there (fairly often). Well, it also does have very good mechanics. It's player base is quite large. I'll teach you abouit magic at some point. Maybe during the smashfest at Nolan's on friday. If not, we'll figure something out, because it's still the best tcg, even when it gets hosed like it just did.........

Shards of Alara can burn in Hell!!!!!!

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
So I liked Dekar. A slightly less handsome, yet more vulgar and intense version of myself.

Neil, you better have said hi to the most beautiful women you've ever had the good fortune to lay eyes upon. Haha. Seriously, though, thanks.

Also, get into Pokemon! I need someone to play that doesn't suck!!!

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
My Magic group went to a pokemon regional and did really bad. I got the judge called on me so much, I had no idea what the heck was going on.

Only good thing that happened was the free entry.

Top Bottom