• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
That movie was nothing short of incredible. Im going to go watch it a second and third time if possible. As Roeper put it: "it's 2 and a half hours long and at no point are you going 'wow they could have cut that last 15 minutes'. You're on the edge of your seat the entire time" (not word for word but close enough)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
**** the stick game. **** the Realm game. **** Batman.

That is all.

Oh, and Tim rocks.

EDIT: Also, don't anyone EVER play me for a fool again or I will straight up kick your ***. No joke.

EDIT#2: We need to go to Gkon. Who is with me?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Hey Kash I think that Rockstar Mayhem concert left your head all riled up lol. Breathe dude, no use getting ticked at everyone. Just remember, anyone who talks **** or judges you or anything like that isnt worth the time (unless its me, im always worth the time :p)

GKon? Sounds like a lotta fun. I was actually thinking we should attend that myself as well. That's not until November though, so we've got time. Plus we'll have to work it out with school and stuff.

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
Ok I have it worked out.

Im going to G-KON. And have room for two people in my car if anyone is interested. Only thing is my car is a v8 and its going to cost a little less then 300$ round trip in gas. So split up between 4 people thats 75$ round trip, but its alot more comfortable than a bus and its a large sedan so it wont be bad at all. But in addition to the doubles and singles cost, hotel, and food this may be alot. But if your interested it should be fun that and I do not want to pay 300 alone, ya know what i mean?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I want to go to G-Kon as well, but it is pricey as is.

I can get us housing so we don't have to worry about hotel costs. However, a car that could fit more than three people and has better gas mileage would be... preferred.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
So, Kash and whoever is coming with him to CO for the 'big gig', I can house ya friday night, but not saturday. So if you want to come friday you'll have housing, tony can probably give you saturday housing, or someone else, who knows.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey Sinz I should be able to go to the tourney in August. Just let me know when we're leaving and when we should be getting back k
We are leaving on hte 8th, and coming back on the 10th.

EDIT:

CONFIRMED PEOPLE FOR CO
SINZ
TWINS

I don't know if anyone else is confirmed.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
1. I am
2. You owe me $5
3. Either your signature is broken or you're playing a nasty mindgame.
Good stuff.
I owe you 4.50 XD you said 10%.
It is nasty mindgames.

Like the stick game.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Sorry I couldn't come davis. My car is still having issues.

Good news. We got a new TV. 42 inch LCD

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I have to get some stuff replaced in my car :(. Sad face.

What are you guys doing tomorrow?

Perrako

Smash Rookie
Alrighty guys, I know I have been completely absent from the NM smash scene (tourney timing hasn't been great), but I'd love to get more involved. I'm based in Santa Fe, and we have access to a great space with a giant back-projected screen and room for more smaller screens. I'd love to get a small, if extant smash scene going in Santa Fe. Any interest?

Also, I'm off to PAX in August and I need to be trained, and hard. Gotta represent the 505 up in Seattle at the Brawl tourney.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'll edit my post with critique. I don't know of any other Smashers in Santa Fe, but if you wanted to put together a big tournament or Smash fest (by big I mean 20 or more people) I'd drive out there. Santa Fe is only, what, a 45 minute drive? Not bad.

EDIT: Alright, I don't know much about Sheik, but I do know enough and a lot about general mechanics of play.

First video - I'm pretty sure you can Ftilt lock Diddy... and you didn't. Ftilt locks are definitely something you should look into. Try not to spam air dodge whenever you get sent into the air and for the love of God don't spam Dsmash so much. It isn't a bad move, but I think you're using it wrong. Try to stay a little more aerial and use more tilts. Grab some more as well.

Sorry, that's all I'm going to do. I almost got sick in my stomach watching that Wolf. That was embarrassing.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Sorry, that's all I'm going to do. I almost got sick in my stomach watching that Wolf. That was embarrassing.
I almost got sick in my stomach reading that entirely unconstructive insult. That was embarrassing.

Anyway, this critique is after watching Sheik vs. Wolf 2, may edit with more after watching more.

Firstly, I don't think I saw a single airdodge from either of you. Capitalize on this and pursue your opponent with aerials, with the knowledge that they're just going to fall right into it. I'm not saying you should airdodge every single time you're in the air, but mix it up.

Secondly, both of you had several oppurtunities to either shield grab or drop the shield and attack, but you instead chose to roll. Remember how insanely quickly your shield comes down in Brawl, and the wealth of options you have out of it.

One integral thing you should both practice is recovery. Practice sweetspotting Sheik and Zelda's up-b, as well as Wolf's up-b and side-b, to the point where you can get it perfect every time. It will save you a lot of unneeded damage.

That's general stuff for both of you. Now for character-specific stuff.

Sheik: Ftilt waaaaay more. It's free, easy damage, and leads into grabs or smashes. For that matter, use all your tilts more, as well as aerials. As is, your game kind of just seemed to consist of needles and dsmash. Also, remember how great Sheik's off-the-ledge game is. Pursuit is really the word that sums it up. Pursue them into the air, pursue them off the stage, pursue them when the roll, and remember your tilts throughout.

Wolf: Bair waaaaay more. I'm not sure if Sheik has much to outprioritize it, and it's the most effective way to control the stage. Full-jump, double-bair (Wolf Wall) is really hard to get around. Your only approach seemed to be fsmash. Try RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush: Run forward, quicly flick the control stick in the opposite direction, jump and bair.) instead.

Both of you should also check out your respective character's character-specific forum for more info.

That's some stuff to start out with. Remember that much of this game doesn't consist of specific things people can give you advice about, but rather just accurately reading your opponent. So I guess my superlative advice, irrespective of anything else, is pay attention to your opponent. See how they react to every situation, and use that knowledge to capitalize.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

that is a good video there.

Edit: I watched the first Sheik vs Diddy video.... Why don't you go ftilt ftilt... t a footstool jump? Then you can hit theb with a bair(if you fastfall it right.) Also, Dsmash is awesome. Don't over use it. Learn your spacing. Alsop, catch those peanuts :p

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
Perrako: Watch videos, again and again and again. This is what helped me the most. You know how you good you want to be and once youre convinced of that, it will only be a matter of time and commitment.

PS also the above advice is primo. these guys are an excellent source of own.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I almost got sick in my stomach reading that entirely unconstructive insult. That was embarrassing.
Yeah because doing nothing but dodge roll and Fsmash for the first minute of a match is so amazing.

So who other than me is going to get Soul Calibur 4 :)?

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Yeah because doing nothing but dodge roll and Fsmash for the first minute of a match is so amazing.

So who other than me is going to get Soul Calibur 4 :)?
It's not amazing, but they're making a concious effort to get better and posting videos for evaluation, I don't care how low-level their play is, they don't deserve to be flamed.

I'm sure I'll get SCIV at some point. I have yet to decide which platform though. I'm leaning toward PS3, its controller is far better for fighters, it's much quiter than the 360, and it's got Darth Vader.

Top Bottom