• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

tw1n

Smash Champion
**** THAT! DAVIS AND I ARE NOT MAKING UP! **** YOU, DAVIS! DOC SUCKED, AND I'M GLAD HE'S GONE!

In other news, there's something eerie about the twins. I have reason to believe they may be related.
Oh... my... god... I never noticed. I think you are onto something... must kill Kyle

No way their just gay.
Sinz suuuuuuuucks
Oh thank god. That answers alot. And here I was worried that I would have to kill him

And are we ever going to play melee again? I play melee a lot more than I play Brawl, I miss it so much. We should just have a melee tournament for kicks. I haven't been to one since December...
Stop living in the past man. It hurts I know. Move on... or just hold a smashfest somewhere lol :laugh:

tw1n

Smash Champion
**** THAT! DAVIS AND I ARE NOT MAKING UP! **** YOU, DAVIS! DOC SUCKED, AND I'M GLAD HE'S GONE!
This is hilarious and true... ish.

And melee is a great game but at the same time I'm loving Brawl alot more. I hated brawl compared to melee for a while. but it wasn't till the other night that I truly appreciated it

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion

And melee is a great game but at the same time I'm loving Brawl alot more. I hated brawl compared to melee for a while. but it wasn't till the other night that I truly appreciated it
Did you finally win your first match, then?

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Hey, don't dog on melee.

Melee>Brawl

Sorry, it's the truth.
<3

I appreciated Brawl before it was released in the US. Now that it's out, it's just a step back from melee. I'd appreciate losing to someone in melee more than in brawl cause it isn't really hard. In fact, I beat Yang simply by dash attack upsmash with Snake, ridiculous. And IMO Yang is like our 2nd best player. Prolly 3rd, depending on if Leo learns how to stop getting hit. Jeris is just dumb, weegee's so good, unless against a Ness on Pirate Ship.

DancingFighterG

Smash Ace

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. The National Video Game Association (NVGA) will be hosting the 1st annual NVGA Supercon May 22-25 2008 in Albuquerque, NM. This event will be a triple threat event with:

Trade Show Events
NVGA Championships
Anime Con

List of Games for event:

2D
______

Guilty Gear Accent Core
Stree Fighter 3: Third Strike
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Smash Bros. Brawl

3D
_______

Tekken: Dark Ressurection
Soul Calibur 3
Dead or Alive 4
Virtua Fighter 5

First Person Shooters

HALO 3 (4 v 4)
HALO 3 (2 v 2)
Call of Duty 4

Other
________

Eye of Judgment
Rock Band
Guitar Hero 3

This event is planning to be huge and we want everyone to be are part of it. Go here:

www.nvgasupercon.com

If you are looking for an overall gaming experience this is the place to be. Guilty Players, if Evo won't have you we will!! :)

Important Links:

http://www.nvgaonline.com/SuperCon/gamingchoices_events.php

Hotel Info:

COUNTRY INN AND SUITES ALBUQUERQUE NORTH
Rates
$55.00 STANDARD ROOM
$59.00 TWO-ROOM SUITES

Accomodations
SUITES WITH 2 TV’S / 2 PHONES
MICROWAVE / REFRIGERATOR
DELUXE HOT ITEM CONT. BRKFST.
FREE HI-SPEED WIRELESS INTERNET
BUSINESS CENTER / FREE USA TODAY
FITNESS ROOM / SWIMMING POOL
JUST 7 MILES FROM CONV. CTR.
ABOVE ARE NVGA SUPER CON RATES

Address
7620 Pan American Freeway
I-25 Frontage Road Exit 231 (San Antonio exit)

Reservation Number
(505) 823-1300

CALL NOW AND SAVE GUYS!!

Sponsors:

Hmmm...Melee took different skills, I think. I also think that no one has truly adapted to Brawl yet. It's been out for what, a month? And already people take it so seriously. It's been a month! Give it time, and it will be more appreciated. Right now I agree, I like Melee more than Brawl, but Brawl has different skills to learn and different techs to master. It's entirely different than Melee was. We'll see how many of you have the opinion that Melee is better in a year's time, eh?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
One Year later.

Man, I wish that brawl wasn't such a bad game. We need melee back. Sinz progresses to start humming I need my baby back, baby back....

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I think that, unless someone finds a way to increase hitstun, people are going to continue thinking Melee is better, at least fundamentally. 2 hit combos to punish someone that's extremely predictable? No good.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
*Will Smith impersonation* AWW HELL NAH! It's on you *******.

Eh, I like Brawl more than Melee. It may not be as visually impressive in terms of technical ability, it is still great. Plus, wave dashing for Melee wasn't found out until like 4 years after the game came out, so we got time.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Meh, the only reason I like Melee more is because I was better at it. But like I said, Brawl just came out, people will learn to adapt and accept, and then it'll be the new thing, and, sadly, Melee will be left behind, just as is the trend with anything like this. Out with the old, in with the new.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Haha....no. I'll tell you all why Melee is better than Brawl. In fact I'll give several reasons (even though there is about a billion reasons):

Melee has combos....Brawl doesn't. Like Interim said, unless a method is discovered that allows for longer hitstun then combos will continue to be nonexistent.

Lack of offensive options....millions of defensive ones. Brawl is complete bull**** when it comes to camping. At least in Melee if someone camped there were plenty of ways to punish it. This makes characters with powerful projectiles (such as snake and falco) overpowered. After all, why should the falco approach when he can simple laser camp. Camping requires little to no skill in Brawl.

For all of you who are saying Brawl requires different skills...haha you're funny. Let me break down Brawl for you: camping, mindgames, dodging, and predictability (either trying to be unpredictable or trying to punish someone who is predictable).

THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE! All the things that exist in competitive Brawl right now WERE in Melee. Except for the fact that (cmon you know) Melee has all the depth.

If you were to compare Melee's depth to that of Brawl's you'd get:

The universe (melee) vs. the lightpost on the street corner (Brawl)

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe in a year I'll be eating my words and I'll be praising Brawl for its depth. But when we exist in world where Sakurai does not want his games to be competitive (in fact, he actually went out of his way to make sure Brawl wasn't competitive) I have my doubts.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
*skipped Alphabravo's post because Kashakunaki doesn't give a *****

Wavedashing with Fox is really hard to do, so I don't think it'll be that practical. Also, I discovered this technique in December
Look, evidence that wavedash was discovered within weeks of Melee's release!

Not.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Did you finally win your first match, then?
No I've won several. i just never truly realized how great the game was. Thats why i don't understand why everyone is complaining. Enjoy the game for gods sake.

P.S. Sinz. Did you get the newer version for your monologue. PM me back and let me know if it needs some more work k

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Combos still exist, just not to the extreme like you were hoping. Not yet at least. Give the game a chance guys (and if anything appreciate it for the fact that more people come to Brawl tourneys than melee so theres more money to be made. Right Sinz? :p)

And sorry I'm not going to be as active in this debate as to which is better but look at this: melee was fast paced (not a bad thing) but allowed for one sided fights to occur. take Fox for example, he was so fast that you could get in and out with out being punished really. You can take a chance and afford to mess up. But in Brawl whenever you go into somebodies range you have to be very careful about what decisions you make. This makes the mental process similar to other great competitive fighting games (Street Fighter III for example)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Please don't turn this thread into a Melee vs. Brawl debate.

Who else has asked if they can go to Arizona for AzOneTwoStep? I asked my parents and I'm pretty much guarenteed to go.

Hey, look at the loser that decided to join us again. that no name from melee Marth main from Melee... heh.
.. Oh---talking to myself again. jk.

First of all, How is everybody doing?

Secondly. . .
. .
HOLY **** guys, Brawl is a different game. There are two points to be made that have. The creator did not want this to be like melee or streetfighter or halo in terms of whose the best--I agree with Paul in this sense all the way; They designed Brawl to be slower, less technical, and much more equalizing in terms of character tiers, and specifically removed the really awesome(or dumb, depending upon your momentum in the battle) things that you could do such as shines usefulness, or chaingrabbing with most characters, so on and so forth. But the point is Brawl is Brawl--Not melee, and we will play it as intensely as melee...within the confines of course that this is not melee. To play Brawl and not like it (personally because I love it just as equally as melee), preferring melee over Brawl, but not having anybody to play(because were mostly all playing brawl, I mean who has touched melee on a serious note since Brawl came out), Then Deal. I know that was a long sentance which will be kinda hard to follow but oh well.
I would like to point out that MELEE WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE PLAYED THE WAY IT WAS EITHER!!! That does not mean we did not play it that way. I love brawl for the fact that it takes a lot more mind games to accomplish due to the fact that it is such an equalizer. It makes everything a lot more skill based and personal based. You lose due to the fact that as Paul said (all the game was camping, mind games, predictability punishment, etc), you did not find a way around camping, fell for their mind games, were predictable, could not punish your opponent for mistakes they made, so on and so forth. that is basis in any game, and like Kyle put it(TwinA) just like Street Fighter, you had to play smart. End of story. I agree and disagree with everybody--and I really don't want to jump back on here to have an argument why brawl may suck or why which ever one was better. Its a personal opinion, purely that. The aforementioned stuff is purely personal opinion. It should go without saying "If you find something you do not like, defeat it, climb it, move around it, outrun it, out think it, but never ever give yourself an excuse as to why you cant."
----Dyraen Exodus: Heir Paragon and Legend Slayer (The Quote of ..WE..)
Now who is up for a couple of matchs on saturday!?
PS: I love you all.
PS2(not the console) Neil: no worries about the question David asked you the other day. Him or me is fine. haha.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I want to note something here that most people won't realize. That quote Lewis threw in there is from his book he is writing. Let me say it again "HE CAME UP WITH THAT LINE"!!! Now how bad *** is that? Love you Lewis. Oh and on a side note ..WE.. is Kyle's and Lewis' team name for everything they do together.

P.S. Buy Lewis' book when he finishes it. It will be worth the money

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Look, evidence that wavedash was discovered within weeks of Melee's release!

Not.
I don't get it considering it is evidence that WD was discovered within weeks of melee's release.

Combos still exist, just not to the extreme like you were hoping. Not yet at least. Give the game a chance guys (and if anything appreciate it for the fact that more people come to Brawl tourneys than melee so theres more money to be made. Right Sinz? :p)

And sorry I'm not going to be as active in this debate as to which is better but look at this: melee was fast paced (not a bad thing) but allowed for one sided fights to occur. take Fox for example, he was so fast that you could get in and out with out being punished really. You can take a chance and afford to mess up. But in Brawl whenever you go into somebodies range you have to be very careful about what decisions you make. This makes the mental process similar to other great competitive fighting games (Street Fighter III for example)
Send me a replay of a combo, right now. I think you have that other paragraph in reverse...if Fox went in, he has MASSIVE options to get screwed over, why? Hitstun, crappy spacing, missed an L-cancel, if you screw up, you're doomed! Melee is all about skill, putting mindgames and technicals to it's absolute highest potential. Why do you think Taj still beats well known people with his Mewtwo? Because he's better than them, skill overcomes character advantages, thus giving melee further depth. In Brawl, I can seriously just spam Snake's dash attack Usmash and Utilt once in a while, and I'd win. Ridiculous. Try it, you can't get punished for it, if they spam projectiles just spam yours, especially since the missile literally eat every other projectile up. Don't like Snake? Try DDD, chaingrab to death the whole time, you can't get out. There's no depth in brawl's metagame, just rolling, TRIPPING, and blind prediction hoping to punish which doesn't even happen anyways.

Hey, look at the loser that decided to join us again. that no name from melee Marth main from Melee... heh.
.. Oh---talking to myself again. jk.
No one here mains Marth cept meleemarth... o_O?

I want to note something here that most people won't realize. That quote Lewis threw in there is from his book he is writing. Let me say it again "HE CAME UP WITH THAT LINE"!!! Now how bad *** is that? Love you Lewis. Oh and on a side note ..WE.. is Kyle's and Lewis' team name for everything they do together.

P.S. Buy Lewis' book when he finishes it. It will be worth the money
Which line is it?

And to everyone who claims I'm bad at brawl and can't talk about it, play me.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Don't worry, Ferdi. I think I am bad at brawl.

Hmmm...I've combo'd before. In fact, I've done several that have lasted a while on Paul and/or Sinz.

Bet you couldn't beat me with Snake Ferdi. If all you do in this game is spam that move, then you'll get *****. All people did in Melee is...well let's say with Fox. Shuffle the d-air, dash-dance, move in, shuffle, shine, run-away, grab to upthrow to 3 u-airs to death. Rinse and repeat. If they don't die, great: go hit them with an up-smash as they land. Basically the same thing as Brawl.

However, all the similarities aside, I see your guys' point. Melee was a lot faster paced, so you liked it more. That's why the word 'combo' was invented, because you could get to your opponent super fast and stay on them. Some can't do it very well, such as Zelda, or Bowser. In Brawl, many can't. Some can, but many, like Ike, are too strong or too slow, and cannot. It's a new playstyle, and you haven't adapted to it yet.

Bottom line: in a year Melee will be forgotten, a whispered legend on the wind. Brawl will be the new thing, for better or for worse, whatever your opinion.

Moving on: Hey Davis, under pre-registration should we put we need a place to stay? I'm not sure whether to or not. If not, we need to know. If so, that'd be awesome and we could just hang out with the smashers over there. Let me know when you get a moment.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Snake is all about the spam, wtf are you talking about? 'nade counters, nair spam, dash attack cancelled into utilt/usmash, c4. He controls the field with spam.

There's a difference between comboing, and combos. Comboing is predicting and nailing with a series of consecutive hits. Combos are inescapable, like Fox's dair>shine>usmash. Due to the lack of hitstun and insane DI in this game, there are very few true combos. I've done spindash>uair>upb>uair/bair. It's not a combo, but it is an example of comboing. You can mid-air dodge out of most "combos". To continue them, you have to predict whether they're going to attack, mid-air, jump, or do nothing. It's a game of nothing but tech-chasing. Overly simplistic analysis, but true all the same.

We liked Melee because, once you made contact, you kept it. You didn't have to constantly play rock-paper-scissors, just for the next hit. Punishing predictable players isn't quite as rewarding, and is a bit trickier now. Camping is a very solid strategy in this game, as is spamming lagless moves. You can get around it, but there's no denying its effectiveness at this point in metagame. Just look at GaW.

Melee will still have dedicated players, much like SFII does. It won't be "forgotten". However, Brawl is the cash cow, and so, we continue to play it, despite its simplicity and lack of depth. Besides, we never played smash because it was a "real" fighter, anyway.

Don't tell us we haven't adapted, either. LoVo didn't adapt. That's why he plays Halo now, instead. I'm willing to put money on CO winning crews vs NM. How about you? I know a fair share of NM thinks they're good. How about we put some money down on crews? No johning about "losing interest" after you lose, either, mkay? ♥

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Well, I was about to respond but Spiritdragon beat me to it. THANK YOU Ferdi. At least someone around here knows what they are talking about.

COMBOS?! If all of you claim you can do long chained combos then please POST SOME VIDEOS TO PROVE IT. Never have I been caught in a combo that has lasted more than a few hits.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I have been to more tournaments and OOS tournaments then anyone in NM,with the exception of ArticDrac and Yukitanuki. I have also played more pros than anyone in NM. I have been exposed to a larger variety of metagames, styles, and strategies than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brawl...I enjoy it...I play it competitively. But my opinion still stands, Melee is far superior to Brawl. However, I will admit, I enjoy doubles in Brawl more than I did in Melee.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Hmmm...I've combo'd before. In fact, I've done several that have lasted a while on Paul and/or Sinz.

Bet you couldn't beat me with Snake Ferdi. If all you do in this game is spam that move, then you'll get *****. All people did in Melee is...well let's say with Fox. Shuffle the d-air, dash-dance, move in, shuffle, shine, run-away, grab to upthrow to 3 u-airs to death. Rinse and repeat. If they don't die, great: go hit them with an up-smash as they land. Basically the same thing as Brawl.

However, all the similarities aside, I see your guys' point. Melee was a lot faster paced, so you liked it more. That's why the word 'combo' was invented, because you could get to your opponent super fast and stay on them. Some can't do it very well, such as Zelda, or Bowser. In Brawl, many can't. Some can, but many, like Ike, are too strong or too slow, and cannot. It's a new playstyle, and you haven't adapted to it yet.

Bottom line: in a year Melee will be forgotten, a whispered legend on the wind. Brawl will be the new thing, for better or for worse, whatever your opinion.

Moving on: Hey Davis, under pre-registration should we put we need a place to stay? I'm not sure whether to or not. If not, we need to know. If so, that'd be awesome and we could just hang out with the smashers over there. Let me know when you get a moment.
Play me RIGHT now. I'm willing to bet that I'm probably the Colorado player who's adapted to the game the most out of our melee scene. And even now I still play **** near every character and still win, despite not really playing much.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Ah, thank you Interim. I respect you deeply as a smash player and overall person in general.

How about a money match the next time we meet?

The idea of crews sounds great, I'd be willing to put down money for a CO vs. NM state.

As Interim said, no johns (though johns is all I hear nowadays in smash).

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
EDIT: Wtf, super delayed double-post.

Alpha, I might be up for some MMs. If you're who I think you are, you were actually pretty decent/smart. We'll see how much I have come tourney time, though.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
See? In all our games Snake can do the exact same things over and over again and he'd win. Spam all your projectiles, dash attack Usmash, Utilt every once in a while, THATS IT! That's the whole metagame, no depth, just spamming dumb overpowered projectiles and jab attacks.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Ah, thank you Interim. I respect you deeply as a smash player and overall person in general.

How about a money match the next time we meet?

The idea of crews sounds great, I'd be willing to put down money for a CO vs. NM state.

As Interim said, no johns (though johns is all I hear nowadays in smash).
I would be down for a CO vs NM crew battle, only if it was recorded, and at the NGVA Supercon.

As for Arizona: I won't be able to go because of money. My funds are litterally ZERO right now unless my bro gets me this job. So no AZ for me :urg:

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
I would be down for a CO vs NM crew battle, only if it was recorded, and at the NGVA Supercon:
If we're doing crews, it needs to be done first thing, before singles and doubles. Everyone backs out on us after the tourneys.

Ferdi edit: It's kinda gay how the only way to beat your snake sinz, is if I outcamp you with TL.

Top Bottom