• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
It is kinda gay. But, hey like you said its our metagame.

Oh yeah that really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really bad Ike was Alphabravo.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Same here. I really hope you guys make it. Expect some good games!

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
You were the guy that got shine>jab>shine>jab'd by Ferdi, right?
Yea, I was. I also Falco dittoed you on FD, remember?

As far as the AZ tournament goes, I have enough money. I just don't know if I have anything planned during that time in the summer. I think I might be traveling to California; but at this point I'm not sure yet.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Kinda sorta remember it, but not entirely. I do a LOT of Falco dittos. One of my favourite matches in that game.

Zman, just win Supercon. Then you can go to AZ!

Ferdi suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks for not being able to beat Snake without camping. Mmhmm.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Ferdi you took the words out of my mouth.
Do you play Magic by any chance?

EoW

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys just droping buy to give a quick update on the tourney status, WE GOT A SPONSOR!!! woot :), its a energy drink company im not going to state their name till its confirmed but yeah woot

so far 71 registered so 15*71 = 1065

1st place as of now pays out 639$

still over a month of pre-registration to go YAY!

Hmmm...interesting post, Tony. A difference between combos and being comboed? I wouldn't have thought of it that way. Interesting. I can see what you mean though. Punishing people in Brawl is kinda lame, it's too hard to do. Camping owns everything, basically. There is little momentum to the game. Moving around is slower, in any sense of the word.

What I meant Ferdi is that doing his dash attack up-smash over and over and over again won't work. Sinz does it to me, and he spams projectiles and he still doesn't beat me every time and it's always pretty close. Playing Snake does not give you an auto-win. I didn't mean to sound quite so...fierce, if you will, in that post. Sorry if I hurt your feelers.

Paul, you've been to two OOS tournaments.

And you're section on Brawl is exactly how I feel. When I made the post about Melee being forgotten, I put at the end of the sentence that it will still be remembered, in so many words though. It won't be forgotten in the traditional sense of the word, it's just that it isn't the new thing, so people won't want to play it as much. Brawl is, like you said, the cash cow, so we will always move to the next thing, even if it's not as good. Like I said before: Sadly...

OOOOH! That Florida tourney sounds like a lot of fun Davis. Brawl and Melee in the same tourney?!? I'm very, very interested.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Paul: Two OOS tournaments

CCCT and MGC championships

Everett: Two OOS tournaments

CCCT and Utah tournament

ArcticDrac and Yukitanuki: Two OOS tournaments

OC2 and OC3

Everyone Else: One - Zero OOS tournaments

Anyways, Brawl sucks....jk

Also, there are only 5 people here who have played more pros than just Forward:

Myself, Sliraobe God, Sinz, ArcticDrac, Yukitanuki
Not one person here has the right to assume they know everything about smash just because they've played Forward...one time. Even though I've been to only two OOS tournaments (which is only one more than anyone else...other than the ones I mentioned above), I have more experience with the game because I've played more pros.

At MGC I played Dope, Fastliketree, Wobbles, Luninspectra, etc. (just to name a few).
Also, the last time I checked 2 was greater than 1.

BTW Everett, I had a great time playing with you on Friday. I'm glad you've gotten rid of some of your bad roll dodging habits.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Btw, Camping is for the win. I just finished a match where I was dittoing a Snake and only used Grenades ftw.
Seriously, after three stocking him first game I was like. I am gonna grenade it.

Grenades are amazing. I dare people to try to throw grenades back to me.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Which line is it?
This one. Brilliant huh?

"If you find something you do not like, defeat it, climb it, move around it, outrun it, out think it, but never ever give yourself an excuse as to why you cant."
----Dyraen Exodus: Heir Paragon and Legend Slayer (The Quote of ..WE..)

Wow so many strong posts. I don't know how to react. My brother, Havox, Neil and I competed in a brawl tourny Saturday at UNM. It was a short notice go there and own some beginners type of thing. Wraith made it. So the 5 of us were the only ones with skill... and as it went it was the 5 of us who faced eachother in the last part of the tournament. But when my brother faced Wraiths snake (who got alot better... **** you Sinz) all it was was a TL vs Snake camping and spamming match till one of them got an opening to strike. But the important part is Kyle won because he was able to sneak in and strike at the right moments. Thats part of the mental strategies Brawl has brought in that out do melee. In melee you could run in hit and run out quickly. Not so much in Brawl. I love melee (alot) but I love Brawl too. So everyone needs to stop complaining about a game that is still really new.

Oh and as for crew battles I think it would be awesome. Since the last time we had the chance virtually everyone backed down... :urg:

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Btw, Camping is for the win. I just finished a match where I was dittoing a Snake and only used Grenades ftw.
Seriously, after three stocking him first game I was like. I am gonna grenade it.

Grenades are amazing. I dare people to try to throw grenades back to me.
Actually Lewis (Havox) is really good at throwing those back at snakes haha.

It's sad, but I kind of agree with your thoughts on spamming against snakes. I went to a unm brawl tourney saturday and had to face off against wraiths snake (which has gotten much much better btw) in the winners finals. When trying to go in and fight hand to hand i started losing with my TL. So instead I decided I would play gay (I hate the idea myself but if it works it works) and I won the tourney beating neil in the finals.

EDIT: David basically gets the point across I guess.

And crew battles sounds awesome. I want to do that if possible (problem is I will be OoS during NVGA :( )

Yes. I agree, Crews sound great. Camping is gay(but avoidableish, one just has to think of area of controll a lot more than normal, almost to the limits of concentration) but **** usefull. Sinz, we gotta play sometime--in person. As far as I know, I 'stand a chance' online. :)
BTW: Anybody in NM encounter a noteworthy Ike yet other than mine and Neils? I am seeking the best to claim(and defend) best Ike in NM as far as smashboards is concerned. My greatest rival is Neil right now--but our matches thusfar have not seemed like the ultimate rivalry one would expect, not back and forth anyway.

Unfortunately for any out of state tourney though, there is slim to no chance for my presence unless I get some money and can plan around my cousins wedding, graduation, camping trip, work, ect...

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
But the important part is Kyle won because he was able to sneak in and strike at the right moments. Thats part of the mental strategies Brawl has brought in that out do melee. In melee you could run in hit and run out quickly. Not so much in Brawl.

Oh and as for crew battles I think it would be awesome. Since the last time we had the chance virtually everyone backed down... :urg:
You seriously think that you can just do hit and run attacks and win in melee? You also need to sneak and strike at the correct moments in melee, which was deeper because technicals and proper spacing made it so you actually have to work for the win. Can I seriously spam an attack and get away with it? Of course not! I'd get ***** because I could actually get punished for it. Why do you think we have to resort to spamming in order to have a chance in brawl, hmm? It's because Brawl absolutely lacks punishment options, Sakurai made it so that if you miss, you can just put up a shield or roll away without any damage. The shield itself is broken since it goes down immediately, and perfect shielding takes away the point of many attacks. Snake himself is just a ridiculous character, I'm not going to argue about him anymore, he can't get punished, and he has the best projectiles and overpowered single hits.

Colorado didn't back down from crews, we wanted to have it done at the end of your guy's last melee tourney(forgot which but the one with Forward).

It's sad, but I kind of agree with your thoughts on spamming against snakes. I went to a unm brawl tourney saturday and had to face off against wraiths snake (which has gotten much much better btw) in the winners finals. When trying to go in and fight hand to hand i started losing with my TL. So instead I decided I would play gay (I hate the idea myself but if it works it works) and I won the tourney beating neil in the finals.
There you go, you have experienced it yourself, spamming works in this game, nothing gets punished, if you want to win anything you have to be just as gay. You're not rewarded for actually working for you win, you get rewarded for doing the exact same thing over and over again since you can't get hit out of it.

BTW Sinz, how does your dash attack Usmashes go so far? Do you charge the bomb?

Ferdi edit: http://www.allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=374

Pretty much my view.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I don't charge the mortar unless they are off of the stage. Then I just spam the upsmash with a random utilt in there. I have been working more on my snake.

P.S. Azens Lucario is annoying. But, grenades >Lucario.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
**** Forward and **** all other popular Smashers (at least most).
0mG d00d u r liek such a rebel!!111

Anyway, yeah, I would say that if Melee = chess, Brawl = checkers. However! There's still some competition there if you really want it. I mean, I'd still get my *** kicked at checkers by someone who's actually good at the game. It's just that it'd take infinitely less time and effort to work myself up to their level than it would in chess. Does anyone else actually like Brawl because of that? I don't have to spend time thinking of intricate strategies or practicing techs, I can just go right to implementing various sporadic ideas in matches. As a game, Melee is certainly the deeper, more engaging experience. But Brawl is more...err, life-friendly, I guess.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I was going to respond in defense for Melee regarding run and hit attacks but Ferdi beat me to it again.

Darn it Ferdi.

Btw Lewis, as far as I know the best Ikes in NM right now (considering there are about a thousand of them) are yours, Neil's, and Erich's. It will be interesting to which of those top three will reign victorious as best Ike.

I used to play Ike as well, but I dropped him because way too many people were playing him. In Brawl, I'm trying to main characters that aren't seen that often at tournaments, at least around here.

Edit: Uh...no. I enjoy Melee more right now because there is ALWAYS a new at to practice or strategy to invent. As far as Brawl goes right now, there really isn't that much going for it, technically. However, I really really hope that will change and Brawl will become the new Melee in terms of depth.

Hmmm...thanks Paul. I didn't post that response that you've been to two OOS tournaments for the reasons you might think. Your response was enough to answer the questions I had when I made it. Just don't assert that you're superior to everybody else just because you've played more pros.

Anyways, I agree with Ferdi, to an extent. Actually, it's more like I 99% agree with him. Spamming works a whole lot better in this game, and punishment is virtually non-existent. It just doesn't work every single time. Close to it though.

I'm thinking that you're hope may just be in vain Paul. Sadly...(wow, how many times have I said that word when talking about Brawl?!?).

tw1n

Smash Champion
You seriously think that you can just do hit and run attacks and win in melee? You also need to sneak and strike at the correct moments in melee, which was deeper because technicals and proper spacing made it so you actually have to work for the win. Can I seriously spam an attack and get away with it? Of course not! I'd get ***** because I could actually get punished for it. Why do you think we have to resort to spamming in order to have a chance in brawl, hmm? It's because Brawl absolutely lacks punishment options, Sakurai made it so that if you miss, you can just put up a shield or roll away without any damage. The shield itself is broken since it goes down immediately, and perfect shielding takes away the point of many attacks. Snake himself is just a ridiculous character, I'm not going to argue about him anymore, he can't get punished, and he has the best projectiles and overpowered single hits.

Colorado didn't back down from crews, we wanted to have it done at the end of your guy's last melee tourney(forgot which but the one with Forward).
It actually has (in my opinion) more chances to punish people for making a mistake. I love Brawl just as much as I love Melee, but now its Brawls turn to make it into the competitive scene. Its kind of like the older brother stepping down (even if its only for a little bit) to let the little brother play a bit. We'll see what happens.

Oh and I never said CO specifically backed down, some people wanted to do it from both CO and NM, but overall the majority cancelled for food

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
What I meant to say is that I have a bit more knowledge with the game as opposed to others around here. As far as skill level goes, however, you guys are right where I am.

Brawl is still really fun to play competitively and, in my opinion, the better players will always come out on top.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
As far as I can tell right now I will be able to go to the AZ tournament in June.

So far the only people registered are myself and Davis?! Is anyone else planning on going? The trip would be fairly inexpensive as long as we carpool.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Sinz should definitely try to attend this one. He is another strong representative of NM. But we shall see.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I talked to Neil and he is positive he can go and I already got the OK from my parents, so!

That means Neil, Paul, and myself are confirmed for Brawl. I figure if we can get two more people (IE Everet and GoldenGlove) then the trip will be awesome and inexpensive and we will have an excellent NM representation.

I've already estimated gas prices at $3 per gallon, driving a 25 mpg car, both ways (to and fro Arizona) gas shouldn't cost more than $25 per person. Nice.

$35 total for venue fee, singles, and doubles. Then plus food and extra money for who knows what might happen puts this trip at $100 per person. Pretty cheap and nice if you ask me, and I doubt anyone will end up spending that much. Plus, the first place winner right now gets about $700 and more people are pre registering.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
But when my brother faced Wraiths snake (who got alot better... **** you Sinz)
Lol what did Sinz say about my Snake? That it sucks? Because compared to his, it kind of does.
And I probably won't be able to go. I have got a full time job this summer.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
He is angry that you learned from mine. More like Jealous.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I talked to Neil and he is positive he can go and I already got the OK from my parents, so!

That means Neil, Paul, and myself are confirmed for Brawl. I figure if we can get two more people (IE Everet and GoldenGlove) then the trip will be awesome and inexpensive and we will have an excellent NM representation.

I've already estimated gas prices at $3 per gallon, driving a 25 mpg car, both ways (to and fro Arizona) gas shouldn't cost more than $25 per person. Nice.

$35 total for venue fee, singles, and doubles. Then plus food and extra money for who knows what might happen puts this trip at $100 per person. Pretty cheap and nice if you ask me, and I doubt anyone will end up spending that much. Plus, the first place winner right now gets about $700 and more people are pre registering.
That's assuming we can get housing.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
What tournaments are we gonna try to go to in July?

Top Bottom