• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Jersey Player Finder: NO!!! UPDATED 3/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
lol mod double posting for a secret bump. I'll merge it eventually.

So I've decided that power rankings in NJ might not be so bad. In fact, I wanted the TSA Biweeklies to help out in that effort. What say you, smashers?

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
So I've decided that power rankings in NJ might not be so bad. In fact, I wanted the TSA Biweeklies to help out in that effort. What say you, smashers?
:O

But WoZ, not all NJ smashers are coming to the TSA Biweeklies and there will be smashers from outside of NJ going too. How would the TSA Biweeklies results be used then? :confused: :confused:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey everyone. Feb 24th is the Killafleet tournament. I wanted to get the word out and let everyone know. Click on my banner and take a look

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer

But WoZ, not all NJ smashers are coming to the TSA Biweeklies and there will be smashers from outside of NJ going too. How would the TSA Biweeklies results be used then? :confused: :confused:
Well then. They better show up, shouldn't they? After all, part of the criteria for power rankings is participation and activity.

montyalbo

Smash Apprentice
Name: Montyalbo
Section: North Jersey
Contact Info:
Crew: None :'(

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Then we can go ahead and start looking for those who are qualified to become panelists.

Criteria is simple. Following the standards Omnigamer left us, send me a PM stating why you believe you're qualified. I haven't decided if I should be part of the panel myself yet.

JFox

Smash Hero
WoZ you are certainly qualified, and also unbiased. I on the other hand....not qualified. But you have my approval as a panelist. :)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad you're gonna give NJ a rankings list, Andrew. You already know I should bewant to be a panelist since I presented the idea a while back.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I love how I'm still not listed on the NJ player finder.

Anyway.

Scotch plains, North Jersey.
Marth.
TSA.
Contact info is... wait, who the hell wants to contact me?

Eggm

Smash Hero
Lk add the people who didn't put it down exactly, just fix it for them.. who cares? lol Anyways.. Woz yeah man you should do it I trust your input, although i fear you may under rate yourself.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
lord knight states in the first post that if it doesnt look EXACTLY how he says it has to.. you are NOT added to the NJ player finder.

obsessive compulsive much???

i kid, i kid!!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I think we're only going to be doing like a top 15 or something.

M2K, Zang, Ryoko, Comp, WoZ, Inui, LK, Reik, Emblem Lord, Sensei, teh_spamerer, AlexTriad, and Eggm are definites. The only issues are order and those below those players.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Uhhhh. Muz and HBK need to be in there IMO. And take me out.

K thnx bai.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
It's really spammy when you do the k thnx bai thing.

Anyway, about the list. Only panelists will have a say in it.

Let's see.

Only one panelist per crew. To be qualified, you must either be a reputable tournament host or a player that consistently places high in tournaments.

I'm still thinking about participating.

I've also got Inui in mind, though he's somewhat biased. From the same crew, I could probably speak to LK.

From Wrath, it might be AlexTriad.

Non crew members might include Magus.

Who else?

JFox

Smash Hero
I think its pretty stupid to put Zang down considering his inactivity. On the nationwide rankings, people like Neo are no longer on even though they are clearly in the top 25. Also it would be very difficult to ever surpass someone considering you have no way of proving their skill level.

I think the list should only consist of active members of the community. Otherwise we have to deal with people like Steve W as well, since he would most likely make the list, but surely we could never do this since no one has played with Steve W for God knows how long.

And why are we doing only 15 all of a sudden?

...Who made you a panelist even. Where are all of these decisions coming from? I feel like you are speaking for more than just yourself, which you shouldn't be.

Edit: Technically aren't you PA Magus?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
And yes Inui, you're getting way ahead of yourself. One step at a time.

Zang participated in the recent Gauntlet with high results. It's true, however, that he's inactive. For the regional list, we've considered putting him somewhere lower on the list because of his inactivity, but it's clear that he still has what it takes. If he continues to play, he'll only climb some more. If not, he'll fall down the ranks.

I think the same thing should happen for the local list.

Anyhow, let's decide who the panelists will be first.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Lord Knight won't want to be a panelist. He barely even updates this player finder...

I'll go at your pace then, Andrew. Set something up.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Behave, Emblem Lord.

Just keep in mind, Inui, that people don't think highly of your opinion. This isn't a big secret.

Knowing this, if you still want to be a panelist, you're in.

We need one more.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. Andrew I like how you editted out the part of your post where you called me a moron. That way it looks like I told you to STFU for nothing.

Inui. Why do you want to be a panelists so **** much? Relax man.

Edit: I'll never get on this list unless I play by the tyrant's rules. Did I say tyrant? *ahem*
I meant to say Lord Knight.

Name: Emblem Lord
Section: North Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: DrgSupergogeta
Crew: TSA

Woodman

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new to the forums and thought it would be cool to get on the NJ roster. Not much good competition at TCNJ, so if anyone's up for some practice, IM me.

Name: Woodman
Section: Central Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: woodman21186/Cell: 609-462-7371
Crew: none

JFox

Smash Hero
And yes Inui, you're getting way ahead of yourself. One step at a time.

Zang participated in the recent Gauntlet with high results. It's true, however, that he's inactive. For the regional list, we've considered putting him somewhere lower on the list because of his inactivity, but it's clear that he still has what it takes. If he continues to play, he'll only climb some more. If not, he'll fall down the ranks.

I think the same thing should happen for the local list.

Anyhow, let's decide who the panelists will be first.
If you don't mind, I'd like to make a few suggestions solely on the topic of inactivity.

First of all, I think that if a player is inactive, they should be taken off the list completely. To put them in a lower spot than they deserve just makes the list look inaccurate. Its better to just leave them off until they begin to play again. This was a mistake I feel the national rankings made(they kept azen in like 7 or something just because he was completely inactive but they didnt want to take him off the list, and people fought constantly about why some people are off while he remains on), and would hate to see it made again.

A player that is inactive or semi-inactive can not be overcome by others because it is simply impossible to compare them to an active player. As the smash world develops, people that seemed good are now difficult to compare to more active players, because all we remember is that they were good back than. For example, Steve W used to be considered one of NJ's better players. But now, all we have is a vague memory, and certainly would have a difficult time saying if he is better or worse than say Sensei for example.

I think that inactivity should be based on rules. Leaving it as a subjective decision becomes iffy. People could simply have different definitions of the word inactive, and so the list will become full of inconsistencies. Also people could bend their definition of inactive because of biases toward a player, or because it benefits them or their position on the list.

For example, say I am in 5th on the NJ list. (yes i know, its a hypothetical...) I want to stay in the top 5, so I vote that Zang remain on the inactive list, keeping him off the NJ list, and keeping me in the top 5. There will be plenty of panelists that also make it on the list, and its best to make things as objective as possible to keep people from cheating in any way on this.

I believe rules should be in order when it comes to naming someone "inactive". What rules are up for debate.

Example of a possible rule: Players must attend at least 1 tournament in a 2 month period or the player becomes put on the inactive list.
OR: If the list is updated with long lapses of time between updates, you can say "any player without an attendance of (3) tournaments between updates simply will remain inactive for the following list.

The details are debatable, but the overall point is that inactivity needs rules.

I'm tellin you, if ya just play this thing by ear, people are gonna end up playing favorites, doing things that happen to be in their favor, and a bunch of garbage that just complicates things and causes arguments. People are gonna say "hey why am I inactive, and this person isn't?! I played in this tournament and that was more recent than this persons" Trust me, ya need rules. Everyone needs to have the same advantages as everyone else.

Penomena

Smash Rookie
Name: Penomena
Section: South Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: Brandoikari537
Crew: N/A

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna have to agree with jay here, i think it would be better to leave a player who is innactive off the list. the whole reason we have a power ranking is so that people can see where they stand or don't stand for that matter and try to make a name for themself by trying to best the players on the list. by putting someone on who is not active and doesn't care about increasing thier rank should not be considered, so until that person shows an interest in thier position i think they should be left off.

Just keep in mind, Inui, that people don't think highly of your opinion. This isn't a big secret.
LOL ORLY?

Eggm

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind being the panelist for the tunes, i plan to go to cataclysm 3 and other big tournies , espically once i get my car, but for now i plan to be at every biweekly and stuffs, and i completey agree with jay on his inactive player ideas thats all for now.

mog87

Smash Ace
Do you get paid for being a panelist cause im kinda low on cash....child support is a killer.. so remember kids stay in school and condoms are useful for more things than just blowing up like a baloon.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I honestly don't care if people don't think highly of my opinion. I can back what I say really easily with regards to the rankings I have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom