• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Jersey Player Finder: NO!!! UPDATED 3/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFox

Smash Hero
Personally I think I would love to help organize the rankings in terms of how people were voted, and other rules, but in all honesty I doubt I'm even good enough to be a panelist. I don't attend tournaments outside of the state, I don't have much time for smash nowadays, and I don't have a strong tournament record on my side. However, if its possible to still help in any way, in terms of organization, I think I am more than fit to do so.

SO...Another great idea I had is a way to keep people from taking advantage of their panelist position. See, every member would create their own personal panelist list. Than lists would than be evaluated and points would be given to players based on how each panelist personal list was.(So far this was how they did the national rankings, and I think its a very fair system.)

But to keep people from abusing their power as panelists, the panelists would create a list, but exclude themselves from their personal list.

***Example: I am ryoko, and I am making a list of the top 5(just to keep things simple) I would vote 1) M2K, 2) Cactuar, 3)Comp 4)WoZ 5) Sensei
Ryoko, if he were a panelist, would not appear on his own personal rankings list, but because others would vote for him, he would still be in the top 5.

Now I know what you are thinking(or at least the intelligent ones that are following me thus far) "people that are panelists would have a disadvantage for the rankings"

Here's the complicated but very simple part. First, keep in mind, there would be enough lists that the one panelist excluding themselves would not be a large disadvantage. But you would still need some kind of balancing tool. SO each person who is on the panel would be on each others personal list, but not their own. You would than take all of the places for Panelist A, and find a mean score, calculated by using the other panelist lists. Than you would add up that mean and use it as a representative score in place of the panelist voting for themselves. This would balance out the votes, and adjust for the lack of votes for panelists.(notice: rebalancing would only be necessary for panelists who make the rankings list. all other players would be decided on normally)

The purpose is so that if we decide to keep all personal lists confidential (which I would be for, because I feel the panelists should not be pressured by others), people would be free to vote how they felt without being able to cheat by putting themselves any higher than they should be.

This sounds complicated, but its a lot more simple if I were to explain it to you than to read it. However, it totally eliminates the idea from anyone's mind that panelists have an advantage over non-panelists because they are in control of their own placings. Panelists would simply be in control of others places, and not their own. Its really a beautiful system.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
It sounds good in theory, but I fear it could end up like Communism and be garbage in practice.

The panelists should know where they stand on the list if they're panelists. Or they should at least be close to where they should be.

The lists are going to be discussed, I assume, so any issues with panelists over/underrating themselves can be worked out then.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I haven't put my info here yet:

Name: JC/Crismas
Section: North Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: crismas presents
Crew: N/A

JFox

Smash Hero
It sounds good in theory, but I fear it could end up like Communism and be garbage in practice.

The panelists should know where they stand on the list if they're panelists. Or they should at least be close to where they should be.

The lists are going to be discussed, I assume, so any issues with panelists over/underrating themselves can be worked out then.
Inui, it may have made me chuckle, but I would like it if people aren't so quick to disregard this idea as a joke.

And to be frank, people fear that you of all people will overrate yourself if you were a panelist, and this is probably why people aren't all for your being a panelist. I don't think people doubt you have a strong idea of what the current list is for NJ for others, but that you put yourself up more highly that others would.

This inflates your position, and it is unfair for panelists to be at an advantage over non-panelists.

This system allows people to vote as a democracy. And according to recent polls air is good...err democracy is good.(Family Guy reference:laugh:)

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I'm not sure about taking out inactive players completely. After all, there are still amazing players out there who, though aren't playing as actively, still show that they have what it takes. In our state alone we have Zanguzen who, having not played since October, suddenly comes out of nowhere and grabs 3rd at the recent Gauntlet. Even though a player might be extremely active, it's enough to compare if the inactive player goes to one tournament and takes top 5 while the active player doesn't. However, if the inactive player does really poorly, then it's no doubt about keeping them off the list. It's not inaccurate to do so, really, since activity should be a factor anyway. Consistency is the key here.

We've also discussed these things for our Regional lists. What's been said is this:

Activity is esentially a reflection of tournament placements. But if someone goes to one tournament every 3 months and gets top 3 each time he does that, then there's no reason to drop that person below the top 5 or so. You shouldn't but be punished completely for inactivity. However, we can agree that retirement = dropment from rankings.

To explain "retirement," if a player who is on the list outright states that they will no longer play for any amount of time, that player will immediately be taken off and the rankings will be reconsidered. This was Zanguzen's case, and as per our Regional List discussions, we would have kept him off if he didn't participate in the recent Gauntlet. Actually, a lot of the recent tournaments in our region are kind of screwing us up, forcing us to make some last minute changes.

In the example shown, along with what I've stated, Steve W is retired and only plays casually. If he suddenly goes to a tournament and gets top 3, he might be considered for the bottom of the list only because it's been so long since he last played. If he continues to be active and consistently places high, he'll climb the list accordingly. Compare it to Zanguzen, who has only been inactive for 3 months or so but successfully gets a top placing in a tournament. Because of this, I would want to say that he can maintain a status of somewhere between 4th-6th place, instead of 3rd where he was assumed to be before. If he keeps playing, he'll get back up there. Naturally, it'll be discussed by the panelists where he'll fall into.

To summarize, even if a player is indeed inactive, we can't deny how well they can do in a tournament, especially if they can get a top placing. It's just that because of how inactive they are that they won't be on the list as high as they should be without earning it first through consistency. While activity, or lack thereof, is an important factor when creating a list, skill and tournament placings weigh much heavier if a player satisifies both conditions. However, not being able to satisfy that third condition will keep them restricted to a lower placing on the ranks.

I think an inactive list is unneccesary and may aggravate players who might be on that list. If a player is retired, inactive and/or doing poorly, that player will simply be off the rankings. No need to point out those who didn't make the cut because of this and that. I don't see it as being any different from putting people on a list that states: "These people don't have skill/suck." Things like that create drama that we simply don't need.
I also don't want Emblem Lord to be all emo on me since he'd be on a list like that or something lawl

As far as creating the list itself, personal lists being somewhat averaged together isn't a bad idea, but there needs to be certain criteria to be placed so that any list that is created strictly adheres to it. The criteria will explain why players are placed where they are, minimizing any questions and doubt anyone might have once they see the list. Once we gather the panelists, it'll be our job to compile the list accordingly to those guidelines.

Lastly, I'm keeping in mind about the biased decisions certain people might make, and I'm going to go along with that knowledge to help me pick panelists. Inui, you're slightly biased, something else that isn't a big secret, but I'm going to see how you go with this when you become a panelist. I'm giving you this chance, so without any other words that I can say it in, don't screw it up.

JFox, though you're intelligent, I'm going to need to know if you feel you know enough about the NJ community, how well you can gauge players, and if you keep up with how these players are doing in tournaments, both in and out of our state. I'm looking for players who have the least amount of bias towards anyone, as well as the knowledge it takes to qualify and have a say in these things. You really don't need to be an amazing player to be a panelist, though it helps you with your credentials if you are - you just need to have an interest, be active, have an eye for talent, and be open minded enough to listen to what other people have to say as well. If you honestly feel that you can follow through with this, then you're in.

And don't worry, JFox. Being in control of your own placings and trying to manipulate that to keep your own standings is harder than it sounds, especially when you have second or third opinions from other panelists, as well as evidence against that person if the list he created is indeed inaccurate. I don't plan on having selfish people on the panel.

Eggm, while you're a good player, I don't think you've been in NJ long enough yet to get a good feel of the NJ community. Let's wait it out for a bit longer before then.

I probably plan on having only 3 panelists, which is the minimum requirement. NJ isn't that big a state, and we really don't need more than that.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Ah its cool i didn't really wana be on there anyways, i just thought since you said 1 from each crew, yeah i haven't played enough people to judge anyways. Inui, yes you do oNLY go by tourny placings.. which is a flaw at the same time as being a positive in judging skill. Like lets take for instance.. your placing at the last biweekly, you had 3 by's.. and clearly and easy bracket, yet you might not be better than everyone who placed under you.. tournys are good for determining skill, but they aren't always 100 % accurate. Anyways I tink if there has to be 3 it should be... WoZ, maybe LK and A top 5, like m2k ryoko.. or some one like that for the 3rd spot.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Andrew: Did we not agree that you wouldn't egg me on anymore? I could care less about being on the list FYI.

On topic: I got a list off the top of my head right here.

M2K
Dave
Zang
Comp
Riek
Inui
LK
WoZ
Eggm
Sensei
AlexTriad
Muz
HBK

Alot of these placings are interchangeable IMO. BTW I didn't include Ryoko because he really doesn't go to tournies anymore. Zang, however, has told me that he still loves smash he just doesn't want it to rule his life. So it's safe to say he will participate in tournaments from time to time. He told me he will probably go to Cataclysm and Smashtality.

Eggm: I really haven't seen you play enough to rank you accurately. So don't get pissed about where I put you ok? lol

Also, I put Dave ahead of Zang, but Zang is better IMO.

This isn't an official list of course. Just something to get some discussion going. There are still some spots up for grabs on the list as you can see. Who will fill those gaps I wonder?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
So yeah. The list will be discussed by the chosen panelists only.

But hey, if you want to be the one from TSA to do it, then let me know now. You're obviously interested by getting ahead of everyone, even though I clearly said we're taking it a step at a time.

And just to throw it out there: panelist discussion will not be taking place in this thread.

Eggm, while situations like that can happen, Inui technically deserved his easy bracket by getting a top seed. I like watching those who got worse brackets making it to top 5 or 10 though.

JFox

Smash Hero
JFox, though you're intelligent, I'm going to need to know if you feel you know enough about the NJ community, how well you can gauge players, and if you keep up with how these players are doing in tournaments, both in and out of our state. I'm looking for players who have the least amount of bias towards anyone, as well as the knowledge it takes to qualify and have a say in these things. You really don't need to be an amazing player to be a panelist, though it helps you with your credentials if you are - you just need to have an interest, be active, have an eye for talent, and be open minded enough to listen to what other people have to say as well. If you honestly feel that you can follow through with this, then you're in.

I probably plan on having only 3 panelists, which is the minimum requirement. NJ isn't that big a state, and we really don't need more than that.

I get the feeling you think that I am making posts to try to earn the right to be a panelist or something. If there were only to be three panelists in all of NJ, I don't feel like I am the most qualified for the position, nor was I trying to prove my qualifications. I have never played Dav3 or Reik, and have little experience with M2K, Ryoko, Comp, AlexT and Zang. So my input would be more limited than others, making me a poor choice. :laugh: However, I would like to see the NJ rankings list as accurate as possible. I also like the idea of a voting system via personal panelist lists.

But for the idea I discussed earlier, it would only be practical for a large number of panelists. I had no idea that you were considering only having 3 panelists for the entire state. I was thinking more like 10 or so(i kinda invisioned like 10 people sitting around a round table er something lol). The reason being is that you have more of a representative sample of the state. I think a top 20 or even 25 would be more reasonable with a larger amount of panelists. Someone like Comp may know the top 5 or 10 extremely well, but would have a harder time gauging the bottom 15-20 because he is not in close compition with those players.

And as for keeping the list as small as possible, I kind of don't see the point of this. I think the only people that would push for this are people that are only concerned with where they stand on the list, those who know they would make lets say top 15.(cough inui who suggested this cough cough) Personally though, I feel like the point is to get a reading of all highly active players in NJ, because these are the people who would be interested in this list. There are at least 30 highly active players, and I'm sure they'd all like to see where they stand. It might be a bit more difficult, but it would satisfy a lot more people than just those at the very top, and I think it would surely be possible with a larger panel.

Anyway, thats just my input. I doubt anyone actually agrees with that.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
JFox, the reason the number won't be as high as 10 is because the majority of the people don't want to be panelists in the first place. People always want to be on the list itself, but they seldom want to be the people making the list. It takes a lot of responsibility, and there's a lot of pressure and weight riding on your shoulders. Make the wrong moves and you can have the entire NJ community riding against you. I've seen it happen.

There are also people who don't qualify to create a list, or simply don't care about a list in the first place. In truth, very few people want to become actual panelists.

Anyway, 3 is all we really need because we don't need a dozen inputs - just the right ones from the few who actually know what they're talking about.

I also really don't want to do anything past top 10 or 15 because the power rankings is moreso a representation of the top players in our state. I'm more led to believe that people who aren't on the list will work harder to be able to make it on there. Besides, it would be a hell of a lot tougher to do anyone past 15 or 20, since the skill level here tends to muddle off and it becomes even more difficult to place where players exactly stand. The most I see is doing something like, "players from 20-25 are the following in no particular order", which doesn't make the list look very good. The number of players is also larger around this point, and it's going to be extremely difficult sorting all these people out, especially since none of them stand out as well as the top players. Not to be harsh, but it's not worth the effort.

I understand there are a lot of highly active players out there. However, it doesn't mean anything if they don't place high enough to be noticed. That's just the reality of any sort of competition.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No, Andrew I don't want to be the TSA panelist. I think it's rather pointless for our state because anyone can guess who the top 15 in our state is.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
My list is pretty much the same as EL's, but it has Ryoko on it. I'm pretty fuzzy on the bottom five. I keep changing my mind on them. The rest is pretty solid to me, though.

And hey, I didn't even overrate my crewmates. I don't see what people were worried about. =/

Edit: At any rate, the panelists should discuss things. I got some opinions from Cactuar on my list, too, and he knows his stuff about this area in my opinion.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
My list is pretty much the same as EL's, but it has Ryoko on it.
has ryokoyaska even expressed any interest at all in being a panelist??

dont get me wrong, one hell of a smasher and dave is a pretty cool guy once you get to know him. he has good knowledge of the game too and the people who play it. but, he hasnt posted once about this topic. conversations ive had with him recently about smash in general lead me to believe he would not be so interested.

this being said, i am not him.

he might fall asleep during the voting process:psycho:

im only kidding!!

gbursine

Smash Cadet
hello, i'm gbursine/from toms river

Name: gbursine
Section: Jersey shore
Contact Info: AIM: gbursine
Crew: penn state/north jersey

I do up mainly 2d fighters(mvc2, vampire savior, st, 3s), but i've been weening myself into ssbm with the gamecube my brother just got. herro all.(does anyone live close? )

JFox

Smash Hero
i live kinda close to you gbursine...i live on the border of marlboro and old bridge.

So, TSA Bi-weekly has come and gone. What shall we do with these rankings? Don't keep us in the dark wozzy..

Eggm

Smash Hero
----
Name: Bass
Section: North Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: Gentlemanromeo2k
Crew: The tunes

----

----
Name: Treble
Section: Central Jersey
Contact Info: AIM: OstinatoKE
Crew: The Tunes

----

----
Name: Jota
Section: Central Jersey
Contact Info: Croc1020
Crew: The tunes

----
There LK i added them correctly could you please add them the next time you update? thanks. Oh and in my name can you change it from "the neptunes" to "The tunes" We are using that now.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
The panelists will probably do a top 15 of the power rankings for the state. We're going to discuss it over privately and we'll release the list as soon as we're done.

Eggm

Smash Hero
???????? I'm always relaxed, I dunno if you've seen me but i'm pretty chill always lol. Anways.. i know my list doesn't "count" but this is what i think.

1. m2k
2. Zang
3. Dave
4. ryoko
5. reik
5. inui
5. eggm
5. woz
9. Lord knight
10. sensei
11. teh spammer
12. emblem lord
13. triad
14. Bass
15. Hbk

I thnk.. having panelist is good for the final decision but I thnk everyone should put their 2 cents in, if this is a problem i'll delete this post let me know, anyways thats how I feel for now.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You're not my equal, nor are you actually that good.

There is nobody in the state that will agree with you at 5th, dude.

You're a little pumped up on your 4th place or something? I've been getting top 5 in this state and top 3 in teams for 6 months. Saying you're equal to me in placings going off of a 4th and a 7th is ridiculous.

I'm going to be totally honest. I'm speaking for the hidden opinions of multiple others here, too, and they know who they are.

You overrate yourself based on nothingness and you've got a ways to go before you're a top player around here. I'm not going to be nice about this anymore. You're beginning to get on the nerves of numerous players around here, but they're too nice to say anything. I'm not.

On my list, you're around 10th or 9th. You're decent and all, but you're not top 5 material. You lack the accomplishments and proven consistency the rest of us have.

Give it some time, Eggm.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I find it ironic that Inui is getting pissed off at his twin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom