• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New DK upB tech

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The angle required would limit it to a handful of stages. As nix mentioned those are probably the only ones you could pull it off on. I've tried for some time to get Sonic's to work on flat land, if I manage t get it to work, Dk should be able t do it too since his flying kong has a lesser angle. @_@ Maybe its cause of the lesser angle he may not be able to do it though. @_@

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
There's some places on banned stages that you can do it too (I think, at least from what I've read here) such as Hyrule, New Pork City, and the crater Dialga/Palkia makes in the stage on Spear Pillar. There's also some places you may be able to do it on legal stages that haven't been mentioned. What about the side of the house on Onett? Pirate Ship has some tilt, but I think it's in the wrong direction. What about the fin of Corneria? The engine?

Just some ideas.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
That depends on how you look at it. Something that is so very limited does not appeal to me.

yes but it would easily be soled if the opponent just moves back, I don't think anyone really tries to hit D out of his flying kong to begin with considering it has little lag if he finishes on the ground.
he is invincible for a bit after the upb, he has carry over invin frames, he gets either free hits, or complete stage control back. not to mention the psychological effects it will have, they can no longer pressure you at the ledge on those stages (brinstar, yoshis and pictochat being the 3 legal ones) meaning you're officially free to get back on whenever you want.

:( I'm so jealous....I wish Kirby had decent ATs...

Let's see...Kirby also has wall infinites (kinda) with dtilt and possibly neutral A (though I've had people SDI through me last two times I tried that so I was sad)...

What the crap is a Sakurai combo? Why don't I know what this is? I'm scared...

Well...Kirby also has 9 punches and reverse punches. >_>
Though I'm not exactly sure what reverse punches are, unless you're talking about B-reversal, which every character has
Sakurai combo = headbutt to punch, posted on the site by sakurai, so named after sakurai

not just b reversal, he can reverse it while charging to punch behind him when it looks like he's facing the other way, it's like ganon/falcons turn around, only quicker. you can use it with b reversals for a 360 punch

Did some more testing, here's how the invincibility works.

When you are both flashing and attacking you will go threw projectiles, and beat out most attacks. However, you also stay invincible for a little while after you stop spinning, during this time you are invincible to everything. I just went threw both Marths Fsmash, and a Warlock Punch with this.
invincibility = you win, they cannot harm you, any invincible attack will go through, so to all those who clanked, you timed it wrong, unless it clanked and then continued going through

The beginning of the up b, it seems that the invincibility is just starting although it can still clank and or be out prioritized. It clanked but usually it was with multi hit attacks, in this case it was the falco and his multi hit jab.

When it got out prioritized it was with metaknights up b. Keep in mind that all of this happened when the up b first started (Invincibility first is starting up)

After the first few frames of the up b however it does seem as though nothing clanked or out prioritized the up b. The up b went though all multi hits, projectiles and attacks.
the upb invin frames are slightly after the start, so when it lost, it lost because it wasn't invincible yet

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
invincibility = you win, they cannot harm you, any invincible attack will go through, so to all those who clanked, you timed it wrong, unless it clanked and then continued going through
Believe me this thing is weird. You know you timed it right when you start flashing. I have been hit with certain attacks that did knock me out of this, except during certain parts of the move. I tested with Marth's Fsmash and he was able to hit me with it, even when I timed it correctly, except during the last part of the move.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Ahaha, the “F*** You” spin.

I vote ROFLcopter. Justify it by making at acronym for “Resistant, Obfuscating, Flying o’er Ledge Copter”.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I vote for InvinciCopter.

Oh wait, I just made that up :)

Master Raven

Smash Master
This is strange. I can do this consistently on the left-end of Yoshi's, but I can't do it at all on the right. What's up with that?

TheHulk

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday, I decided to work on this technique. For some reason, I cannot do this technique consistently or more than once on the left-end of Yoshi's. So I worked on the right all day and got it 50 times in a row. I'm going to stick to the right to do this technique when I'm in a tournament match.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Yeah lol Hulk and I did some testing together over wifi and we do well enough on the opposite ends >_>

TheHulk

Smash Apprentice
I managed to apply this technique in my game when laddering last night on AIB. Let me tell you, I'm a monster on this stage! I did this technique consistently and was being very predictable when my opponent, a snake mainer was at high percent. He was near the ledge. For the first two times, I "let" him attack my UP B from the ledge with no invic. Then the third time, I was too "predictable" with my ledge game on the right. I applied this technique and surprised my opponent. His up tilt was nothing lmao and then I used front smash to get the win. Good finding!

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
The same thing happened to me — you practise it on one end and it becomes muscle memory, but reversing the input requires a lot more conscious thought. :p

Remember:
• Stick DOWN (lightly);
• Stick INTO stage (strong) & JUMP at the same time; and
• UPB at the right moment.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I recommend not focusing on the timing, but just watch the character instead. When DK's feet are about even with the stage is when you start your upB. That's how I learned it and I do it pretty consistently on both sides.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
During an intense match, maybe even a 2v2 you don't have time to just watch only DK. I recommend making this muscle memory. I learned it on the left side and I didn't have to practice at all for the right. Just know how far you have to drop down, when to jump, and when to up B. MUSCLE MEMORY ONRY IMO

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Yeah I found the RC ship one on accident after I found you could do it on yoshi's and pictochat.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
A few quick questions...

If DK is flashing, that means that you did it correctly, right? I was testing this out today, and I got hit out of it while flashing by a few moves about mid-way through the up-b. It clanked with most everything, but constantly got out prioritized by Ike's F-smash, Ganon's Rev. Warlock Punch, DK's 9-punch and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Is there a way to do the move where the invincibility doesn't carry over even if DK is flashing, or does it simply not contain invincibility during those frames, just high priority?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
A few quick questions...

If DK is flashing, that means that you did it correctly, right? I was testing this out today, and I got hit out of it while flashing by a few moves about mid-way through the up-b. It clanked with most everything, but constantly got out prioritized by Ike's F-smash, Ganon's Rev. Warlock Punch, DK's 9-punch and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Is there a way to do the move where the invincibility doesn't carry over even if DK is flashing, or does it simply not contain invincibility during those frames, just high priority?
I keep wanted to do more testing with this but I keep forgetting.

Some moves just seem to work and I don't know why. ZSS's forward+b also hits me out of my up+b every time. It's very strange.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
A few quick questions...

I think the only true invincibility gained is during the grounded up+B's ending lag. The rest of the grounded up+B doesn't appear to have changed, it seems to still be following normal ground move priority rules.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I think the only true invincibility gained is during the grounded up+B's ending lag. The rest of the grounded up+B doesn't appear to have changed, it seems to still be following normal ground move priority rules.
Not for me. Mine is invincible.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Was this ever confirmed or denied? I forgot to check back on this topic and I don't feel like reading through all those posts, lol.
I tried it out with Bowser, and I couldn't get it to work. The initial pop up that Bowser does with up-b mid-air seems to keep it from working the same way. It may work on hills like Yoshi's (melee), the fin on Corneria and things like that, but I don't think it would work on stage edges like Yoshi's (brawl) and Picto.

@ RagnarOk

It's getting invincibility all the way through? I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

B!squick

Smash Master
I tried it out with Bowser, and I couldn't get it to work. The initial pop up that Bowser does with up-b mid-air seems to keep it from working the same way. It may work on hills like Yoshi's (melee), the fin on Corneria and things like that, but I don't think it would work on stage edges like Yoshi's (brawl) and Picto.
Lame. T_T Is Bowser destined to have only 2 techs? Ah well. UpB OoS is pretty **** enough I guess. ^.^

ook

Smash Lord
I think it's always invincible (you can't get hurt) but since the hitbox is out, it can still clank with stuff. Except at the end when the hitbox ends.

So it IS invincible... but the invincibility goes away if the attack clanks with something.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Occasionally I'll mess up and not get the invincibility but still be flashing because I have a punch fully charged. It's a different kind of flash though but I think that's what people are getting confused with.

Top Bottom