• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New DK upB tech

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Sweet! Amazing find. This could possibly be a totaly broken exploit with a little testing.

But um... how the hell did it happen?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
That's it. Trust me, its easy when you know it. I learned to do it consistently on Yoshi's in like 2 minutes. When you jump, watch DK's feet. When they are just about parallel to the stage, that's when you start your upB.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, once you get the timing down and do it a few times in a row, the muscle memory kinda takes over and you do it every time.

It's almost like you have to try NOT to do it.

But, I was doing this in a few matches today, and most regular attacks clanked with it. So I think it only goes through attacks that don't clank (lasers, aerials?). I dunno though

it's ok though, because most of the time the other guy just stands there going "wtf" for a moment after it clanks, cause he wasn't expecting it. So you can do a quick attack or grab or roll or something.

daisho

Smash Lord
The thing is, if it goes through then it makes since, invincibilty, but if it just clanks then its just like wtf?

Im a little confused though on you you hold down when you are moving sideways, don't you have to direct the up b?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
That's all I've seen it do to, but someone claimed to go through a Marth Fsmash with it. I will test some stuff when I can but my usual partner won't do anything right now. Apparently theres some Valentines event on Grand Chase and he won't get off to test stuff with me.

My theory is that if you hit an attack that would normally clank or get beaten out by the upB then it will happen, but if the attack would normally beat out your upB the invincibility comes into play. Of course this is just a theory, I'll test when I can.

Edit: You don't have to hold down, after dropping from the ledge you jump so that you are on level with the stage.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
DK’s so awesome, for him “ledge pressure” means he pressures the opponent from the ledge. :p

Seriously, what can they do? UpB ends laglessly.

Will this even let you go right through stage hazards on PictoChat?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Which hazards? You might go threw the missiles, which would be hilarious. It's also nice that this works on stages I already liked DK on before anyway. Pictochat is just too fun, and Yoshi's is my second favorite neutral after Battlefield.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
You're invincible, so I'd assume so.

Also, has anyone tried doing something similar with the Super Armor frames of the grounded Up-B? If you can make the invincibility frames last longer by canceling an aerial Up-B into a grounded Up-B, shouldn't you also be able to make the Super Armor frames last longer by canceling a grounded Up-B into an aerial Up-B? Someone should test it out when they have time.

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
I remember someone mentioning this a long time ago, looks like it's true. I think it was on gamefaqs but there weren't any details. I'll see if I can find the topic.

Edit: nvm can't find it, it doesn't matter anyway lol nice find

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, that thread on GameFAQs was just a joke topic though.

not unlike most things on the gamefaqs forums... :p

though that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this lol

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I was "pretty sure" I saw Marth's forward smash go right through this without clanking, but I haven't gotten any time to actually test it, and I forgot to save that replay.

It's my understanding that you are invincible, but since you still have an attack out there, attacks that would clank will still clank. Is it possible that attacks that WOULD out-prioritize us will instead go through?

In that case, I would assume that any moves that can't clank (most projectiles) or moves that would avoid our attack hitbox (various down tilts) would go right through us.

Somebody try this and see if Ganondorf can stomp us out of it from above.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Man, this is really easy to do. I dont think any other characters can do it :(

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I was "pretty sure" I saw Marth's forward smash go right through this without clanking, but I haven't gotten any time to actually test it, and I forgot to save that replay.

It's my understanding that you are invincible, but since you still have an attack out there, attacks that would clank will still clank. Is it possible that attacks that WOULD out-prioritize us will instead go through?

In that case, I would assume that any moves that can't clank (most projectiles) or moves that would avoid our attack hitbox (various down tilts) would go right through us.

Somebody try this and see if Ganondorf can stomp us out of it from above.
That's my theory to, I'm gonna test it later today.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I'll clear things up/
The whole Dk trick is the same as Sonic's side B air dashing which was discovered some months ago.
The few frames during which Dk/Sonic are invincible is cancelled by the slope and instead of being removed, is looped infinitely.

An attack will NOT outprioritize or clank with it, I have tested this with Sonic's side B. During the point when it is purely invincible it will NOT clank. During the times it did clank it was not invincible and merely had high priority.
so if you cancel during invinciblity, you get invincibility.
if you cancel a little before or afterwards, you stay with that high priority state instead of it degrading.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Did some more testing, here's how the invincibility works.

When you are both flashing and attacking you will go threw projectiles, and beat out most attacks. However, you also stay invincible for a little while after you stop spinning, during this time you are invincible to everything. I just went threw both Marths Fsmash, and a Warlock Punch with this.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No it isnt, for one, you require an incline. Which is not available on most legal stages. most of the inclines are also located at the edge of a stage, which means an opponent will not even be near you.
What does using the invincible flying kong do? If you are at the edge, the opponent will already be spacing you and probably can't be hit by it to begin wth, it could be used for approaching characters with projectiles but thats it really.

Anyway your tests confirm my theory. Most likely the game puts the invinciblity frames in a loop so that it lasts until the move ends completely. It can probably be accomplished with a few other moveswhich behave like the flying kong, Sonic's spinhop etc etc.

ook

Smash Lord
What does using the invincible flying kong do?
Yes it is beautiful :mad:

As for what it does... it seems like it's mostly for getting back onto the stage safely. (which is pretty **** hard over 100%... and considering how long DK lives, he is on the edge over 100% a LOT, lol).

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I've tried it and yeah I get it on the money majority of the times. DK has few options on the ledge after 100% since his roll is predictable, getup attack is slow enough to get powershield and catch a Shoruken to the lip, jumping can be read and punished easily, and ledge drop to an UpB on does work all the time.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
DK tricks are top tier

Cargo spikes, wall infinites, grab releases, water spikes, sakurai combos, shield breaks, super armor, 9 punches, reverse punches, grounded footstool combos, up-b momentum cancels, now this.
:( I'm so jealous....I wish Kirby had decent ATs...

Let's see...Kirby also has wall infinites (kinda) with dtilt and possibly neutral A (though I've had people SDI through me last two times I tried that so I was sad)...

What the crap is a Sakurai combo? Why don't I know what this is? I'm scared...

Well...Kirby also has 9 punches and reverse punches. >_>
Though I'm not exactly sure what reverse punches are, unless you're talking about B-reversal, which every character has

this makes a lot of sense
I'll clear things up/
The whole Dk trick is the same as Sonic's side B air dashing which was discovered some months ago.
The few frames during which Dk/Sonic are invincible is cancelled by the slope and instead of being removed, is looped infinitely.

An attack will NOT outprioritize or clank with it, I have tested this with Sonic's side B. During the point when it is purely invincible it will NOT clank. During the times it did clank it was not invincible and merely had high priority.
so if you cancel during invinciblity, you get invincibility.
if you cancel a little before or afterwards, you stay with that high priority state instead of it degrading.
this possibly makes the most sense

This tech looks extremely good. I'm just surprised it wasn't found until now...

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
It’s extremely easy to lose track of time practising this.

A completely safe and lagless way to get onto the stage from the ledge is nothing to sneeze at … plus it obviously has some very limited edge-guarding uses, for what that’s worth …

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes it is beautiful :mad:
That depends on how you look at it. Something that is so very limited does not appeal to me.
As for what it does... it seems like it's mostly for getting back onto the stage safely. (which is pretty **** hard over 100%... and considering how long DK lives, he is on the edge over 100% a LOT, lol).
yes but it would easily be soled if the opponent just moves back, I don't think anyone really tries to hit D out of his flying kong to begin with considering it has little lag if he finishes on the ground.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Yes, it is easy to avoid, and only works on certain stages. It's not exactly a huge breakthrough, but it is very nice in certain situations. Mainly it avoids projectiles, and lets us recover safely from the ledge, which as mentioned is hard for him over 100%. It's also not very easy to punish, since even if you manage to avoid it, it has pretty much no lag, and the invincibility last for just a little while after the move itself ends, so we can bring our shield up before you can do anything. It's really just a safe way to get off the ledge.

Also, first post is updated again.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Did some more testing, here's how the invincibility works.

When you are both flashing and attacking you will go threw projectiles, and beat out most attacks. However, you also stay invincible for a little while after you stop spinning, during this time you are invincible to everything. I just went threw both Marths Fsmash, and a Warlock Punch with this.
This also explains what I noticed with Marth's down smash. The first hit went through me, but the second one hit me. This was just because it was at the very end of my spin.

Man. If I had a video of something like a warlock punch going through, it would have made it into my bloopers video. Too late now, though.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I also tested this today and this is my input im sure some of this info has already been discussed though.

The beginning of the up b, it seems that the invincibility is just starting although it can still clank and or be out prioritized. It clanked but usually it was with multi hit attacks, in this case it was the falco and his multi hit jab.

When it got out prioritized it was with metaknights up b. Keep in mind that all of this happened when the up b first started (Invincibility first is starting up)

After the first few frames of the up b however it does seem as though nothing clanked or out prioritized the up b. The up b went though all multi hits, projectiles and attacks.

Also as mentioned the invincibility does last even after the Donkey stops spinning, its until he comes to a neutral position that the invincibility wears off.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Can someone upload some vids of this tech in another stages? Seems to be easy to do in yoshi's, but not on the other stages without that brim.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Its only possible on stages with slants at the edges (i think... right?)
Well, slants anywhere. You could probably do this on Lylat Cruise any time the tilt is right, even when you aren't on an edge. It's doable in some places on Castle Seige/Pokemon Stadium/Delfino, etc. The easiest places to do it, by far, are Yoshi's Island and Pictochat.

But yes, as far as I know, this is impossible on Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination.

Top Bottom