• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Diddy Kill Setup

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
The Main Idea:
I'm sure this situation has happened to all of you, and if I'm right, I think we can use it to our advantage. When you Diddy Hump someone and they get hit by a Banana before you slap or jump off of them, they go into their tripping animation and you go into your Grab Release animation. After testing this quite a bit, I believe (but frame data could easily prove me wrong) that not only is the Grab Release animation shorter than the Tripping animation, but that it is short enough for you to buffer a D-Smash before your opponent can react. If this theory is correct, this presents a new (but situational) Diddy kill set-up.

The Setup:
Diddy Hump > Banana hits the opponent > D-Smash

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q9hE310ljY
This is a video of myself testing this on a computer on "Walk," meaning the computer would try to escape at the first possible frame.

Shortcomings:
Obviously, the main shortcoming is how situational it is. Is this ever any better than just Glide Toss > D-Smash? Probably not. This also won't work well on levels with platforms, and it is mildly difficult to time the Diddy Hump just right. I'm certain opponents will react to the Banana toss anyway, thereby making this less of an option (if you're trying to purposely set this up by Up-Throwing the Banana). However, I've not tested this yet in an actual match, so it might turn out better than one may think.

Yikarur

Smash Master
well, you are not stuck in your position after the hump hits. Your oppponent can DI while he is grabbed so this shouldn't happen if your opponent knows this.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
well, you are not stuck in your position after the hump hits. Your oppponent can DI while he is grabbed so this shouldn't happen if your opponent knows this.
Very true. For example, if the Banana hits the opponent's back (the side farthest from you), then the opponent is sent in the opposite direction (behind you), meaning you'd have to buffer a turn-around AND D-Smash to make it work... which I don't think is frame-perfect. If they shake away enough, they can fairly easily escape this once they see it coming. Good catch :\

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I was about to say what yikarur said but he beat me too it i guess. this shouldn't work ever. I would've had a zero to death on DDD i you couldn't do this.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
maybe something like when you expext them to chase you, you glide toss backwards throwing up, then diddy hump back (timing correctly so the banana still hits) it could be a definite baiting kill setup :D im definitely gonna use it XD

EDIT: if the opponent is in killing percentage, but you are even higher, then you can DI it just right ^_^

ADHD, tell me all your secrets! dont keep your ideas to yourself XD

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yoshididdy's video summd up legitness. i use this alot against ppl who tend to dashattack/dash grab

TreK

Is "that guy"
I used something like that once, but offstage.
DH -> banana makes him break out -> upB spike

From what it looked like, I think I could have humped him again.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And...

Stealing this.

Problem I see though is people will figure out they can DI during the Diddy hump and use that to move out of the banana trajectory.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
well, its still a win-win situation if they do, you can still get 15% on them even if they DI it right, but if they are at a lower percentage then you, or they dont react in time, you get a free dsmash :D nothing to lose here

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol naners are so fun
we should have a thread on everything you can do based on where you, your naner(s), and your opponent is

and then have it for each stage and character you're fighting lol
might take a while...
we would need pics as well :\

some setups can only be explained through exact positions via images

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
we would need pics as well :\

some setups can only be explained through exact positions via images
True

I was thinking about making that very thread a few months ago, but then I realized how much work that would be to take all those pictures :dizzy: I actually have homework this semester stopping me from making it, and I've got enough on these boards to keep me occupied anyway. It'd be neat if someone else would run it, though; I'd happily contribute whatever I can.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ugh if only there was a room where we could discuss this ****tttt hmmm

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If the banana hits the opponent, does it interrupt the animation if you're doing an attack out of the diddy hump?

Also, this could be a pretty sweet edgeguarding tool.

Throw banana up, grab edge, jump off and over-b to d-smash.

Would be hard to time, but a possibility.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If the banana hits the opponent, does it interrupt the animation if you're doing an attack out of the diddy hump?
I've seen this happen before, and I can tell you no, the slap/jump animation continues unhindered. The opponent just takes damage from the Banana hitting them (as if they were in the air).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've seen this happen before, and I can tell you no, the slap/jump animation continues unhindered. The opponent just takes damage from the Banana hitting them (as if they were in the air).
****, that woulda been awesome as hell.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
someone posted that ish here awhile back. Ive been using the DHR to naner lock. Felix u said it doesnt work? why is that? doesnt frame data say otherwise? Ive never had any get out of it. Usually i have a naner in my hand, down b, opponent approaches instant DHR as the banana falls right as i get the grab to naner lock . DI cant help them in that situation.

Conti

Smash Ace
I almost pulled this setup off 1st attempt... but I got to excited when he triped and when I had to pivot for the dsmash I accidently dash attacked :[ I haven't got an opprotunity swith it since

Top Bottom