• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Controller?

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
So both of my gamecube controllers are really unplayable right now. Both of the control sticks are messed up. I looked at Gamestop and they didn't have any official gamecube controllers, just Gamestop imitations. Should I just buy one off of Amazon or Ebay? Also, are the white gamecube controllers just as good as the other ones?

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
yeah, ebay is probably your surest bet right now. white controllers are exactly the same, but with a longer cord - as long as the controller is official nintendo you should be fine

ive heard about people getting controllers for a lot cheaper off amazon, but youll have to ask around for that since Ive never ordered from there.

Spife

Smash Master
You can get some controller that look exactly the same (but don't have nintendo printed on the front) for like $6, but I've heard they fall apart (i.e. get as bad as yours are now, probably) in 3 weeks.

Your best bet is to check Nintendo.com cause I think they still sell gamecube controllers some where, or play asia for the white ones.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
The cheapest official controller I could find was on Ebay. It is white, but it does say that its official. It will cost me about $30. Worth the price, since melee is a source of endless entertainment.

Overload

Smash Lord
Just buy a gamecube form gamestop for $30, it comes with a controller. Their new cubes are being marked as new now, so you could get a brand new cube for 30 with a brand new controller.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
The cube I bought from gamestop a while back was used as well as the controller it came with. Should have thought of that though.

Bets

Smash Journeyman
if you're going to pay 30 dollars to get a controller, then get the white gamecube controller. its got a longer cord.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
im trying to preserve my good controller as long as possible. I use other, less reponsive, worst controllers for practice, conts are too hard to come by these days

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
im trying to preserve my good controller as long as possible. I use other, less reponsive, worst controllers for practice, conts are too hard to come by these days
I actually do the same where I tend to use other controllers for other games just to preserve my good one.

adhdfoy

Smash Journeyman
Longer cords on the white ones get so annoying at tournaments though. Last tournament i went to it took forever for me to unroll my controller and make it so it wasn't bunched up.

Finally just swapped out the outside of my black controller with white palette.
Tis sexy.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
First, about the analog stick thing...some patent ruling in the US causing anything with the "Nintendo Analog Stick" to get pulled until new stuff gets resolved (that means GCC, Nunchuck, Classic Conroller). That's why the White Controller is produced at all, and can be obtained in J, but can't be found in the US.

Anyways, you eventually get used to the xtra long cord. It was probably designed as it is for the Wii, namely:

- Longer cord compares to standing distance for Wiimote
- White colour matches Wii/acessories

And in this case, it's sorta "Their way or the highway"

joeplicate

Smash Master
the cord isn't that annoying

plus the white controllers are actually different in their architecture, too
the triggers have a lot more buffer zone but overall seem smoother, at least until they're broken in, then they have a lot more leeway before you get the full click
the buttons seem less resistant to wear, but that also means they get broken in less easily

the analog stick is overall a little better--there's less resistance, but it's more precise and doesn't drift to one side as easily (2 of my silver controllers I can't short hop with up anymore, running upsmashes are weird, and I can't pivot in one direction with one of them)

I got my white controller about a month ago, and I'll have to see how it ages for a better analysis. Still, it's a pretty good investment, especially if you care about small technical things/easier execution.

adhdfoy

Smash Journeyman
Just get the sick *** white controller and swap out with a black innards. After competing for 3 years of melee the cord gets annoying. If you are new/play brawl, keep the long cord.

Grunt

Smash Master
Eggz I'll strike a deal with you for my orange controller.
I'll trade you mine for one with a good x button. you were bringing a bunch right?
I'm betting tired of all this rolling and full hopping bull****.
too late, lol
The X button is quite hideous.

Stratford

Smash Champion
You can get some controller that look exactly the same (but don't have nintendo printed on the front) for like $6, but I've heard they fall apart (i.e. get as bad as yours are now, probably) in 3 weeks.
Stay away from these. The only good thing about them is that if you buy it you're only out 5 bucks when it breaks.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking forward to my new White controller. I think the long cord will be convenient as well. I'm glad to hear that you think it is more durable, adhdfoy. And I'm all about making little technical things easy to pull off. I use the control stick for my short hops sometimes.

Oracle

Smash Master
I bought an official one from gamestop a few months ago. Some sell them, others don't.

Seriously, isn't this like the 4th time we've had this thread?

adhdfoy

Smash Journeyman
5th to be exact. Just go to either
Local Gamestops and see if they have sealed ones.
Local Interwebs and find it.
Anime Conventions. (You can find some there if im not mistake)
No johns.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The white controller has a MAJOR problem with the L/R buttons, which is easily resolved by swapping out the bottom white shell for an older make's shell.

The L/R buttons stick to the back of the white shell due to the slight difference in the controllers architecture. There's about 6 white controllers where I live, and every owner has had the same problem. The L/R buttons grind against the back of the white shell.

The longer cord is a godsend. Gamecube controllers desperately needed a longer cord imo.

The analog stick is more responsive from my experience than the older controllers, which is amazing.

Hinryu

Smash Apprentice
I have a new white GC controller, and it is fantastic. I've never had any problems with the L/R buttons though.

The extra chord can get annoying having to wind up after tourney play, but I think it's worth having the longer chord.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I have a new white GC controller, and it is fantastic. I've never had any problems with the L/R buttons though.

The extra chord can get annoying having to wind up after tourney play, but I think it's worth having the longer chord.
How long have you had it? It took a while for it to start.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Well I've had mine for about 3 months or so now (maybe more) and no issues here with L/R. And definitely about 6 months worth of wear and tear because I had to donate it to a "public" Gamecube (think 8 hours of straight use per day, maybe more).

joeplicate

Smash Master
ruby that same thing happens with the triggers on silver controllers

I've noticed my l trigger sticking on the white one, but it hasn't *really* messed me up yet, and I'm fairly confident it'll go away soon (it did on my other platinum one, and it stuck farrrr worse on that)

guestuser

Smash Rookie
I've got the white controller and the L button used to stick a lot (hasn't happened for ages thankfully). So I'd often be stuck shielding after L-cancelling.

Tezushi

Smash Rookie
Official GC controllers are hard to get nowadays; I heard that the White GC Controllers have longer cords, if you want to play further away from the TV. I tried getting official ones too, but im having slim luck even finding any. My older Black GC Controller's Joystick is akward at times, becuase in the past I would usually roll the cord around the controller after finish playing SB. But I would roll it up to tight on accident.

Now everytime I use that controller, most of the time when im playing, I don't even touch the controller & the character walks by himself.
It's practically useless now.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
Official GC controllers are hard to get nowadays; I heard that the White GC Controllers have longer cords, if you want to play further away from the TV. I tried getting official ones too, but im having slim luck even finding any. My older Black GC Controller's Joystick is akward at times, becuase in the past I would usually roll the cord around the controller after finish playing SB. But I would roll it up to tight on accident.

Now everytime I use that controller, most of the time when im playing, I don't even touch the controller & the character walks by himself.
It's practically useless now.

I agree official GC controllers ARE hard to get nowadays if you cannot buy online... =/
back to KIJIJI / craigslist

Top Bottom