• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Christ, don't make me feel old like that.

I would LOVE a taunt where the Move hand waggles its finger at the screen or does the peace sign. It would be pretty trolly haha

Edit: There is also another gesture the hand could do that's quite funny, but would up this game's ranking to M in a millisecond
Lol, sorry about that :p. I never really considered taunts but I'm all for this :grin:

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Yes, four Fire Emblem characters is too many.

More important Nintendo series that have fewer reps: Donkey Kong, Metroid.

This applies to Smash 4 and Project M.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724

If you can explain to me how Donkey Kong, a game that is overshadowed by it's counterpart Mario (mainly the Super Mario series) is far more deserving than a unique franchise like Fire Emblem then maybe I can take you seriously.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Oh dear.
This will not end well.
One thing I hate is posts that have no backbone to it. If he can't explain himself, every post he sends is hot air. This is his last chance as far as I'm concerned before I ignore all his posts and label him as a troll

Shin F.

Smash Master
If you can explain to me how Donkey Kong, a game that is overshadowed by it's counterpart Mario (mainly the Super Mario series) is far more deserving than a unique franchise like Fire Emblem then maybe I can take you seriously.
Seriously? Seriously? I hope you're joking. I don't even know if I can take you seriously after this. I don't agree with everything F. Blue says, but this is ridiculous.
Edit:
One thing I hate is posts that have no backbone to it.
I guess since you hate posts without reasons even if the reason is obvious, I'll explain it.

Every series is overshadowed by Mario. Literally every game series in existence. It's the single best-selling franchise in the world. Pokemon is outshined. Zelda. Sonic. Final Fantasy. FIRE EMBLEM. None of them can touch it. Saying Donkey Kong isn't worth more reps because of this is like saying the game should just be Super Mario Fighting.

And if we're gonna talk about overshadowing, DK far outshines Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem has had exactly one game which has broken a million. All told from what I've been able to find, the entire series has sold just less than 7 million in total. That's nothing next to Donkey Kong's 64 million.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Get back to me when Ice Cube writes a song with the lyrics "It's on, like Robin-Chrom".

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
One thing I hate is posts that have no backbone to it. If he can't explain himself, every post he sends is hot air. This is his last chance as far as I'm concerned before I ignore all his posts and label him as a troll
Jeez, I've barely ever interacted with you. Where did this come from?

As for my post, I was talking about how you blatantly said that Donkey Kong does not need any more reps and that Super Mario is better than it. While I personally have never played any Donkey Kong Country games, I've heard from MANY people that DKC is one of the best platforming series of all time, and while it is similar to Mario, the level of quality is much higher in Donkey Kong.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Seriously? Seriously? I hope you're joking. I don't even know if I can take you seriously after this.
Damn it Shin. You ruined everything :p. I purposefully said that so he can give the obvious answer of the series being more iconic but he's sitting twiddling his thumbs. Anyways, he failed the test so he's not worth me replying to anything he says

Jeez, I've barely ever interacted with you. Where did this come from?

As for my post, I was talking about how you blatantly said that Donkey Kong does not need any more reps and that Super Mario is better than it. While I personally have never played any Donkey Kong Country games, I've heard from MANY people that DKC is one of the best platforming series of all time, and while it is similar to Mario, the level of quality is much higher in Donkey Kong.

That post was regarding F. Blue. It wasn't anything to do with you. Sorry if it came off as insulting you. Also see above post.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Damn it Shin. You ruined everything :p. I purposefully said that so he can give the obvious answer of the series being more iconic but he's sitting twiddling his thumbs. Anyways, he failed the test so he's not worth me replying to anything he says
Well, that's a relief. I thought that all the Smash 4 debate / hype had fried your brain. But really, why did you want him to give an answer to such an obvious question? Not really understanding the thought processes here.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Well, that's a relief. I thought that all the Smash 4 debate / hype had fried your brain. But really, why did you want him to give an answer to such an obvious question?
That's just about it. It was an obvious question which should bring about an obvious answer. All I get from him is talk with not a hint of reason to back it up like his word is absolute which irritates me. The fact that he can't defend the franchise he likes shows how spineless he is or how ignorant he is about his own decisions. His posts have no backbone and neither does he.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
That's just about it. It was an obvious question which should bring about an obvious answer. All I get from him is talk with not a hint of reason to back it up like his word is absolute which irritates me. The fact that he can't defend the franchise he likes shows how spineless he is or how ignorant he is about his own decisions. His posts have no backbone and neither does he.
Dude I answered the question, scroll up.

Edit: Also this isn't a live chatroom, don't get offended if I don't respond to questions immediately.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Dude I answered the question, scroll up.

Edit: Also this isn't a live chatroom, don't get offended if I don't respond to questions immediately.
Your first post was stupid for lack of a better word. If you didn't post anything from the beginning then sure you would have an argument but since you posted that waste of text you had no intention of answering my question. I'm offended not by your speed, I'm offended by your lack of reasoning in your posts that requires reasoning. When you say something seriously be prepared to back it up, that's all I have to say to you.

+1/2 Funky Kong

He's hip
he's cool
...Yeah

Stuff
I'm not sure if Funky Kong is a trophy :/. Nvm he is :p

Last edited:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
I'm surprised actually that King Boo has hardly gotten any recognition as far as newcomer potential goes. I could see him having a really versatile moveset, interesting playstyle, and definitive combat system with illusions, transformations, dark magic, and so on. He's basically Luigi's Bowser, and he has some decent notoriety, as far as popularity goes, to boot, with him showing up in a plethora of main games (including being the final boss of two), spin-offs, and sports titles... Plus, it'd be nice to throw in another more deep-rooted villain into the mix, in my opinion.

Not sure how others would feel about this (especially with having another Mario character, essentially), though. I just think that he could be a very stand-out character, and an unexpected one at that, but eh, whatcha gonna do.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Your first post was stupid for lack of a better word. If you didn't post anything from the beginning then sure you would have an argument but since you posted that waste of text you had no intention of answering my question. I'm offended not by your speed, I'm offended by your lack of reasoning in your posts that requires reasoning. When you say something seriously be prepared to back it up, that's all I have to say to you.
I did back it up, but it looks like I'll have to explain the joke.

Get back to me when Ice Cube writes a song with the lyrics "It's on, like Robin-Chrom".*
*Donkey Kong is iconic enough that Ice Cube name-dropped him in one of his songs. Fire Emblem can't hope to achieve that level of notoriety.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
*Donkey Kong is iconic enough that Ice Cube name-dropped him in one of his songs. Fire Emblem can't hope to achieve that level of notoriety.
Thanks for the explanation. Now what you said actually makes sense now. Sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on with whatever it was you were doing.

I'm surprised actually that King Boo has hardly gotten any recognition as far as newcomer potential goes. I could see him having a really versatile moveset, interesting playstyle, and definitive combat system with illusions, transformations, dark magic, and so on. He's basically Luigi's Bowser, and he has some decent notoriety, as far as popularity goes, to boot, with him showing up in a plethora of main games (including being the final boss of two), spin-offs, and sports titles... Plus, it'd be nice to throw in another more deep-rooted villain into the mix, in my opinion.

Not sure how others would feel about this (especially with having another Mario character, essentially), though. I just think that he could be a very stand-out character, and an unexpected one at that, but eh, whatcha gonna do.

This is a shot in the dark kind of character but I think it can't be incorcporated in Smash and for one reason it has no legs or feet (or anything resembling the two). The model of the character would seem really out of place compared to the rest of the cast...Just imagine King Boo doing a double jump, awkward right? Even though I wish for more villain representation, I don't think King Boo is the right fit in a Smash game.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, Kirby is also a more significant series than Fire Emblem. I expect Sakurai will probably introduce Bandana Dee, but it's something to think about with clone engine characters.

It goes back to Vigilante's point earlier. Priority should go to series that have no characters (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, ect.), then to series that have too few, (DK, Metroid, F-Zero, ect.), and least to series that have plenty (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, ect.).

Then think about factors such as popularity, workload, how cool Pichu is, and Smash 4 eligibility to make exceptions.

i1y

Smash Rookie
NNID
NLReal
Why is that every time I think of the idea of Isaac being playable in a Smash game I wishfully think "Isaac summons Master Hand"? :laugh:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

You mean the guy who got the boot for Pink Gold Peach for Mario Kart 8?

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I really hate when I don't get alerted to new posts on this thread.

oh well, 10 pages that I missed.

2many4u

Just enough for this guy.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lucina has basically been confirmed to be a slightly different Marth clone (she doesn't have a particular sweet spot for her sword). I think if it weren't for the fact the character is an attractive female there would be lots of people raising hell about it, especially considering how the main thing people would bludgeon against Roy is that he was a Marth clone (ironically, he played completely different from Marth, and Project M differentiated him even further).

We are less than two months away from the Japanese release of Smash Bros. 4 3DS, so we will know the full roster very soon.

In regards to under-repped series, the only two that really come to mind are Metroid (Ridley) and DK (Dixie Kong or K. Rool). For franchises, its really just Golden Sun and Advance Wars that stick out the most sorely at this point (Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven are both going to gain playable characters soon).

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Lucina has basically been confirmed to be a slightly different Marth clone (she doesn't have a particular sweet spot for her sword). I think if it weren't for the fact the character is an attractive female there would be lots of people raising hell about it, especially considering how the main thing people would bludgeon against Roy is that he was a Marth clone (ironically, he played completely different from Marth, and Project M differentiated him even further).
Tbh, I'm disappointed that Lucina is a Marth clone but the trailer made that obvious without the need of confirmation. I mean, it was obvious she was her own separate character, it would be like saying Toon Link has similar moves to Link therefore he is an alt of him which makes no sense. After the Toon Link reveal I hoped there would be no more clones since Sakurai initially said there wouldn't be any in Sm4sh but I guess old habits die hard. Oh well, inb4 people complain about the final roster because of Lucina :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Tbh, I'm disappointed that Lucina is a Marth clone but the trailer made that obvious without the need of confirmation. I
I knew Lucina was a Marth clone all along, what was disappointing was just how similar she is to Marth (or at least appears to me). FYI, the reason why Sakurai even selected Roy versus other possible FE characters for a clone of Marth was because he thought he was easily the most distinguishable option, especially with the fire properties to the Sword of Seals.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
FYI, the reason why Sakurai even selected Roy versus other possible FE characters for a clone of Marth was because he thought he was easily the most distinguishable option, especially with the fire properties to the Sword of Seals.
I didn't know that was Sakurai's intention for Roy but I would say he was successful in doing so. Even though Roy was a clone, he still retained his own level of flair that made players decide between him and Marth as a character or main. Lucina will seem a little hard to distinguish because, by the way Sakurai talked about her, she seems like an easy mode version of Marth.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I didn't know that was Sakurai's intention for Roy but I would say he was successful in doing so. Even though Roy was a clone, he still retained his own level of flair that made players decide between him and Marth as a character or main. Lucina will seem a little hard to distinguish because, by the way Sakurai talked about her, she seems like an easy mode version of Marth.
Once we get her in the hand and feel for ourselves the major differences, then we will be able to tell if she is able to be distinguished from.

Hell, Lucina might actually be better than marth because as the system currently is in smash 4, spacing tippers is not easy.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
WHAT IF PLUSLE+MINUN COULD HAVE A SOLO OPTION BY HOLDING R LIKE ICS DO, AND A PICHU ALT COSTUME?

THEN PICHU MAINS(?) COULD BE HAPPY AND IT WOULDN'T BE A WASTE OF A SLOT

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what I was expecting.
Me either i just post the truth....... But tbh Lucina seems like she may be what Sakurai wanted Roy to be. A lower damage out putting clone but with mite agility.

WHAT IF PLUSLE+MINUN COULD HAVE A SOLO OPTION BY HOLDING R LIKE ICS DO, AND A PICHU ALT COSTUME?

THEN PICHU MAINS(?) COULD BE HAPPY AND IT WOULDN'T BE A WASTE OF A SLOT
That idea actually sounds rally great then all the fans would be pleased.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Once we get her in the hand and feel for ourselves the major differences, then we will be able to tell if she is able to be distinguished from.

Hell, Lucina might actually be better than marth because as the system currently is in smash 4, spacing tippers is not easy.
I feel like Lucina will play like a speedier Marth with even damage where ever she hits.

So like Roy if he was fast but no middle sword sweet spot.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Wouldn't quite say that because in the video her up b did NO knock back as to how Marth's does some knock back even at zero
It did lots of knockback, pretty sure Bowser was Koed or at least sent off screen, he just didnt start flying until Lucina was at the apex of her Dolphin Lsash

Edit: It's actuqlly just because Lucina travels half the distance that bowser flies that make sit look like it has no knockback

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom