• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I read through the BrawlEx Clone-Engine thread, and I saw it mentioned that the 50 CSS limit could actually be circumvented with the right code. That said, I'll have to say that going past 49+random would definitely be unhealthy for the game's balance.

On a completely unrelated note, I foresee this thread just maybe becoming a little more far-fetched.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I read through the BrawlEx Clone-Engine thread, and I saw it mentioned that the 50 CSS limit could actually be circumvented with the right code. That said, I'll have to say that going past 49+random would definitely be unhealthy for the game's balance.

On a completely unrelated note, I foresee this thread just maybe becoming a little more far-fetched.
It's possible, but I don't think that code exists yet. I'm pretty sure they were speaking hypothetically. But, yeah, for the purposes of competitive play over 49 would be bad for balance. Still, great for casual play.

I'm working on trying to get BrawlEx working now. I'll let you all know how it goes. If I get it working flawlessly, I'll be able to help others get it...

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread for quite some time now, and I finally decided to make an account instead of lurking (well, actually, I was under the impression that I had signed up way back then, pre-brawl, but it appears my account has vanished or perhaps I simply forgot my own username). I'm also aware my opinion is often an impopular one, but seeing as this topic's goal is to voice our opinions, I might as well give it a shot.

+1 :

-Pichu : I was actually very disappointed with Brawl when it came to characters. Losing 2.5 of the characters you used to play with and gaining no new character you have any affinities with to compensate sure does put a damper on things, haha. Basically, I would like to see a revamped Pichu, with his self-inflicting damage particularity turned into something new. I have seen some suggestion in this thread that seemed quite clever, such as Pichu getting better has he inflicts himself more damage, or a system a la Lucario which I would like to see. Pichu's special could also all be changed, there's more than four moves he can learn, after all. Perhaps something like Sweet Kiss, or having an electrical attack which paralyzes like Zero Suit Samus' gun, could help him set up more combos. I don't know, each character is full of potential in my opinion.

-Toad : He seems more and more unlikely as time passes. Will I ever have the chance to see himin a Super Smash Brothers game before I lose interest in video games ? It's just too bad he's considered as Peach's meatshield and nothing else, because he does have the potential to be a fast character just like Fox, with quick attacks and slow ones (which would be powerful), to show off his strenght he could lift his opponents like Donkey Kong and move freely while carrying them. You could also make him use the Power Stars from the Mario series, the propeller hat from the newer games, and abilities he had in Wario's Wood. Some people consider him bland, but maybe it's more because of his design or the fact that he's also named after a species than because of his abilities.

-Gardevoir : I supported her Pre-Brawl, and unfortunately, the worst possible scenario happened instead : Mewtwo was scrapped and Lucario, a Pokémon I hate with a passion, replaced him. I could envision Gardevoir as a Zelda-type of character, except she would not use sparkly magic but other type of moves. Her body structure is also relatively close to Zelda's, she also has some sort of dress (kind of), and I always imagined Gardevoir being graceful, and Zelda is graceful (except her run animation). I would also like it if Black Holes were incorporated somehow in her moveset (for example, whenever she would grab someone, they could disappear in a small black hole, her pummel animation would involve the black hole shooting light, and you would never be able to guess where it would send you out from because Gardevoir wouldn't have to move or be animated differently depending on the way she decides to throw you. I think it would be interesting to have a fighter with something like that). Being a Pokémon, she has, once again, the opportunity to use various moves (and Gardevoir sure has access to a lot of tools).

-Sami : You know what ? I also supported Sami pre-brawl, even though I knew she would have no chance to get in (like almost all of my picks, lol). I can't really give you more than a Snake-clone for her, simply because I do not know what is in the realm of possibilities when it comes to weapons. I would obviously imagine her with her trusty rocket launcher, her machine gun, but how to implement them, I'm not sure. I guess the rocket launcher could be a chargeable attack which you could also angle (so side B ?) and her machine gun would serve to disrupt the enemy approach, kind of like Falco's lasers, but it would have no knockback and would explode on her face like Diddy's Peanut Gun if she used it too much. Overall, she would be a quicker Snake with perhaps less range and obviously less power, and she would not control the stage as much as him.

-Dixie : It was hard to choose for the last one, since I like plenty of characters, so I'm giving my support to the one who is the most popular one. The others will have to settle for a half-vote. What to say about Dixie ? You could clone her from Diddy Kong, use her ponytail for grabs, use her famous ponytail glide (or whatever it is actually called) to slow her descent on the stage. Some of Diddy's attacks could be modified, such as his Up B, his dash attack and his side tilt, the first two would use Dixie's own spinning kong animation she did in the DK Country Games, and the last one would use her hair to get more range on her attack. I don't think any of Diddy's special attacks would pose a problem if she were to keep them. Change her gun aesthetic and the effects of her projectile and you've got yourself a Dixie. Of course, I don't expect her to make it, as she's apparently a difficult case, what with her hair's animations and everything. But she's still a good choice nontheless.

+0.5 votes :

-Mona : I like Mona, I really do. Her animals could potentially serve as specials, she could use her bike/scooter (not really sure what it is to be honest), she can sing, she can bash your head with a guitar, she can skate, she can twirl her baton, she can throw pizzas... She's really a character with unique possibilities. I would expect her to be rather fast but light and not that powerful (like most of the characters I propose anyway).

-Ashley : Like Mona, I do like Ashley, however I think the former is more important than her. But hey, I like both anyways, so it doesn't really matter. Ashley being a wish, you could expect her to fly on her broom, to use Red just like Uselessina sends her Luma (however, Red, would come back to Ashley and retransform in her wand), she could boil people in her cauldron, throw potions at them with different effects (might be too OP, but it's only a suggestion), I also think she has affinities to plants if memory serves me right, so using vines or brambles to attack her opponents could work too, you could give her fire, ice or thunder spells, etc...

-Krystal : With her staff from Starfox adventures. I wouldn't mind her having a blaster as well to show her affiliations to Starfox, but just if she's using one in her throws then. And to be honest, I see much more potential in her staff moveset.

-Mia (Golden Sun) : Yeah, no chance she would be chosen, right ? I've always prefered healers over attackers, I'm a sucker for White Mages, and she's majorly blue, so she's obviously my favorite character in Golden Sun. XD

-Isaac : Because even though I prefer Mia, I'm not averse to this character. I don't think I need to explain my support for him since many people do share the sentiment that he's worth a spot.

-Ridley : I also like him a lot. No idea how he would be implemented if he were. I've heard people saying he would be an aerial grappler though ? I don't really mind what is done with him, as I'm sure it would be great.

-Lyn : Just because of the way she would play. I actually dislike the character herself, but Manly Spirit (I think it was him) really did a good job at explaining what she could do, and how her style would differenciate her from the likes of Marth and Roy.

-Birdo : Birdo is da bomb. I've always like her much more than Yoshi (who I personally find overrated). I can actually work her perfectly. Her down B attack would be her sending her ovale eggs horizontally and they wouldn't disappear until they reach the boundaries of the stage. They would be slow, but could be picked up. Additionally, she could also spit fireballs from time to time, and these ones would be faster, stronger, could not be stopped or picked up, however they would travel less distance. Her B attack would involve her absorbing her opponent in her nose thingy and then she could move (like Dedede and Kirby) on the stage freely and with more control. Her Up B would be a rainbow jump, she's often affiliated to that power, was present in captain rainbow (okay, that's random but still). And her side B would involve her throwing her ribbon at people (she would look so ridiculous without her bow). For her grab, I guess you could base her from Yoshi, same for the grab. She would be noticeably stronger and more resistant than Yoshi, but her speed wouldn't be the best.

-Lopunny : I just imagine her playing like a fast acrobatic character, it's just a vote like that, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who would vote for her anyway. Not sure there's Lopunny representation in SSBB.

-Jumpluff : Based on Jigglypuff, moveset : Acrobatics, Sleep Powder, Seed Bomb & Sword Dances. Okay, it's just a troll suggestion, haha. But I do like that moveset on my Jumpluff. I don't even know if there's a sticker of this Pokémon.

-Tails/Knuckles : I like the characters, and even though I know it will not happen, I can always throw my support here.

--------------------

That's about it. Not sure I really want to use any minus 1, even though characters like Shadow, Blaze and Silver would be horrible to have in P:M.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Alright! My first BrawlEx character (Roy) is working. I can now try helping out people who are having trouble, though it's a bit off topic so it might be better to do it in PM or start a new thread.

It seems that BrawlEx is a little random in choosing whether it works or not. Sometimes it just doesn't boot up when you start the game.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Whoops, sorry, it must have slipped by me. Sometimes, I simply forget that names aren't similar depending on the language, haha.

I'm editing it right now.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I also like Gardevoir, but she turns people off I guess. For a Hoenn representative I'd choose Gardevoir, Absol, or Deoxys.

EDIT: or Wailmer. lol how would he play?

Not enough non Kanto reps. If Pichu got in I guess I'd be satisfied, though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I guess all the obvious choices ARE picked...but can we think of someone who's REALLY bottom of the barrel?

How about Daisy? I'd like to see anyone get hyped about her.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Oh so were doing Random 100 impossible characters for fun?

Excitebiker
Little Birdie
Robin
Sanic
Silver
Shadow
Shrek
Tails
Liquid Snake
Naked snake
Green mario
Weegee
Bowser jr.
Kos-mos
A cow
Hector
Jimmy T.
Masked Salesman
The Moon
A Refrigerator
Kappa
Kamek
Masked DDD
Rick
Anthony Higgs
A tomato
Master Hand
Crazy Hand
Shadic
Miyamoto
Burger King
Wendy
The dairy queen
The shadow queen
Psycho Mantis
Pink Power Ranger
Red Power Ranger
Giygas
Landmaster
Toon Landmaster
Metal Landmaster
Ben Roethlisberger
Kobe Bryant
Tracy Mcgrady
Lebron&Wade tag team
Shaq
The bottom of the barrel
John Madden
A bag of chips
Papa John
Negative Man
Spider-Man
Captain America
Morrigan
Strider
Silver Samurai
Psylocke
Wolverine
Bone Claw Wolverine
Young Link
Deku Link
Gambit
Batman
Superman
Goku
Vegeta
Krillin
Tingle
Gangsta Tingle
Daisy
Venom
Jigsaw
Barry Bonds
Yasiel Puig
Iron Man
War machine
George Clooney
Obama
Oprah Winfrey
Dr. Luigi
Jumpman
Pichu
Dr. Phil
Budweiser horse
Miley Cyrus
Tails Doll
Danica Patrick
Bill Gates
Geno
Sora
Cloud
A turkey sandwich
Tifa Lockheart
Glass Joe
Kratos
Good Cole
Evil Cole
Master Chief
Parappa the Rapper
Glover

Seriously you guys, I know yall discovered more slots or whatever but don't expect the PMBR to go over 5, they pretty much nearly finished this mod and I think they'll soon put it to a close, so yeah I wouldn't suggest 10+ random characters to them because of the balancing issues and stuff, they want PM to be used in tourney's so..... I'd say they would make 5 then maybe release the clone engine, then all of you crazy people can have at it. (Though note: if you had non PMBR made stuff in the future like say you added goku, it wouldn't be allowed in a PM tourney.)

Note: I don't want any of those characters listed above, I was just being random because i'm bored.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I'm confused. People now get 8 votes? or do the same voting rules apply that they had earlier...?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I'm confused. People now get 8 votes? or do the same voting rules apply that they had earlier...?
The same voting rules are in effect.
The 8 characters thing is a result of another clone engine being made, which allows for up to 100 characters, apparently.
Eight more characters is enough for a 50 slot, 10x5 CSS.
This would look nice, and would round out the PM roster at 49, which is as big as a well balanced roster gets.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Ah...
Here goes my real vote then
+1
Pichu: I would love to play as someone this interesting. I would love to see how they would make Pichu fit into smash while not being junk, and I love gimmicky things.
Dark Samus: I think the Metroid series deserves more love (even though I personally don't love it). Dark Samus is an awesome looking character, and they could make her a clone of Samus making him easy to. :D
Sukapon: I would love having more retro characters in smash! I love his design and possibilities. I would also love how he would play.
Kamek: Now, this is an odd one... I just love the character. I love his looks, His personality, his skills, and just him as a whole. I would love seeing him in smash with all of the possibilities, and I would love seeing the Yoshi series getting more love.

Leon: However much I dislike the idea of another Starfox character, I would love to see this guy get in. They could be so creative with him. He could be a mix of Snake, Wolf, and Falco/Fox. Not only would he be creative, but he would also be easy.

+1/2
Excitebiker, Toon Ganondorf, Isaac, Ridley, Blood Falcon, and Starfy.

Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles: I very much dislike the idea of having more third party characters in the game, let alone ones that already have series representation.
Black Shadow/Declone Ganondorf: I don't want them to totally change Ganondorf's moveset just to past it on another character.
Pokemon Trainer: I hate the idea of a human, in an over saturated series, get in. Not to mention I he wouldn't be a character that would feel right in smash.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It's here if you want to see:http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=65113.0

Still not working for me...hopefully it becomes more stable and eaiser to use.
I've got it working, but it's a little erratic in starting up. Sometimes it doesn't run properly and you get random slots instead of the characters, but it does work if I restart it enough times :p

I've got a Marth clone, a Lucario clone and an Ike clone all working properly. (Roy, Mewtwo, Cloud)

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I've got it working, but it's a little erratic in starting up. Sometimes it doesn't run properly and you get random slots instead of the characters, but it does work if I restart it enough times :p

I've got a Marth clone, a Lucario clone and an Ike clone all working properly. (Roy, Mewtwo, Cloud)
> No Mario Brothers

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Hey Shin F. if it's no trouble can you upload your pack since I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere...I really want Roy and Mewtwo.Also about how many retries does it take for it to work?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey Shin F. if it's no trouble can you upload your pack since I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere...I really want Roy and Mewtwo.Also about how many retries does it take for it to work?
Yeah, sure. Just give me a minute to zip them up.

It takes... quite a few tries most of the time. It almost seems random.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if they manage to go up 49 playable characters, that is definitely more than enough, and will be basically be around how many characters Smash 4 will end up having.

As for Little Mac, I think he is barely voted on for this poll due to how likely he is seen for Smash 4 (the leak as well as the boxing stage for Smash 4). However, going up to 49, especially considering if series like Golden Sun and Advance Wars gain a playable character, it would be fitting for Little Mac also to get in, even if he does end up in Smash 4.

However, the PMBR has said they won't backport characters, so if Little Mac is to be in PM, he needs to be developed about now.

As for Little Mac, ironically for PM, I imagine him as a Lucas/Wolf style clone of Marth. He takes Marth's specials and Final Smash (a charge up punch, a rising upper cut, a counter, a quick series of punch that require button input), but has his A-moves completely different from Marth. To make the development process easier for Little Mac, I would suggest for them to borrow the punch animations from various other characters on the roster (ie, Mario's forward-air would be Mac's forward-air).

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I'm confused on this,of course I hope it doesn't but

What if since they developed Mewtwo and then he's added to ssb4 what does the PMBR do?Also lets say they start developing Issac and he is announced for ssb4,does that mean thier work is useless and he can't be added?

Shin F.

Smash Master

What if since they developed Mewtwo and then he's added to ssb4 what does the PMBR do?Also lets say they start developing Issac and he is announced for ssb4,does that mean thier work is useless and he can't be added?
I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure that if PMBR beats Smash 4 to adding them, the character stays.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

If they had already started development on them and end up finishing after the character is confirmed, they said it won't have an impact on their work already made on the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom