• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
12 counting CD-I and the Legend of Zelda Cartoon. Anyone wanna bomb some dudangos? No? Well excuuuuse me Princess.
Nintendo (finally) acknowledged those games aren't canon. No really, we once lived in a time where it was actually up in the air.

And if you're curious you can see which 10 Links specifically have been playable back up in my post

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
12 counting CD-I and the Legend of Zelda Cartoon. Anyone wanna bomb some dudangos? No? Well excuuuuse me Princess.
We do not speak of those.
Nintendo (finally) acknowledged those games aren't canon. No really, we once lived in a time where it was actually up in the air.

And if you're curious you can see which 10 Links specifically have been playable
Let's see if I can name them all from memory...
1. LoZ / AoL
2. ALttP / OoA & OoS / LA
3. OoT / MM
4. WW / PH
5. TP
6. 4 Swords
7. MC
8. ST
9. SS
10. ALBW

I think that's about right.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
We do not speak of those.

Let's see if I can name them all from memory...
1. LoZ / AoL
2. ALttP / OoA & OoS / LA
3. OoT / MM
4. 4 Swords / MC
5. WW / PH
6. TP
7. 4 Swords Adventures
8. ST
9. SS
10. ALBW

I think that's about right.
Almost! Fixed it for ya :p

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ah, so close!
Yeah people forget about that multiplayer GBA 4 Swords that came with the ALttP rerelease. I only remember it because that GBA cart was the first Zelda I ever played and beat--both ALttP and 4 Swords. Ever since it's been my favorite Zelda.

Though ALBW is so seriously got-dang superb I may like it even more despite other people's claims that it's "too easy."

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

And if you're curious you can see which 10 Links specifically have been playable
It was clearly a joke. But...

Maybe new and non-canon, but it is another Link.

Yup, Basketball is my 2nd passion after video games.
It's the only sport I could watch everyday.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I wonder how much effort it is to make pair fighters like the Ice Climbers. A pair of Pichus (or Plusie and Minun) fighting together would be a ton of fun. Or heck, have a triplet of Pichu, Plusie and Minun all fighting together.

How many Pichus does it take to have a viable fighter?

EDIT: Might as well throw in a +0.5 vote for Plusie & Minun. They'd be fun to play.
I really don't think pair characters are viable. It's hard enough to get an Up B that could feasibly work. And then there's also balancing, which is ridiculous. It's just not worth the effort IMO.

Yup, Basketball is my 2nd passion after video games.
It's the only sport I could watch everyday.
Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic when I said that :p

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It was clearly a joke. But...

Maybe new and non-canon, but it is another Link.
The game hasn't been released yet, so technically he's not playable :p I only included playable Links.

Am I the only one who speculates that Link might be from Skyward Sword's backstory?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The game hasn't been released yet, so technically he's not playable :p I only included playable Links.

Am I the only one who speculates that Link might be from Skyward Sword's backstory?
Maybe not yet. But I did say new and non-canon. Besides. That never stopped hyped modders before. I mean look at all the pre-Skyward Sword mods.

And no. I speculate him to be his own character.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't think it is. Hyrule is founded at the end of Skyward Sword, but Hyrule Castle's clearly there throughout the trailer, so unless there's even more freaky time travel stuff going on (entirely possible, of course), it really can't be before the end of Skyward Sword.

I think it might be one of the wars from Hyrule's history, given the armies and such. Perhaps the Unification War or the War of Imprisonment.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Maybe not yet. But I did say new and non-canon. Besides. That never stopped hyped modders before. I mean look at all the pre-Skyward Sword mods.

And no. I speculate him to be his own character.
Yeah I guess they did say it was non canon.

Dat scarf tho...

reminded me of this dude.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Neither of which are cooler than this dude.

I dunno... Fierce Deity's badass in a primal way, but Red Scarf Link has more style.
Hyrule Warriors Link received the Marth treatment.....
Marth stole his manliness for SSB4, I'm telling you. They call Ganondorf the King of Thieves? Pssh. Marth can steal metaphysical concepts.

There's a pretty decent video here analyzing the Hyrule Warriors trailer. They point out a lot of little things I didn't notice in it. It's pretty interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VtafO96JvU

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I guess I'll try this 8 character list out
1. Pichu
2. Ridley
3. Isaac
4. Lyn
5. Waluigi
6. Telda
7. Tetra
8. Dixie Kong

Slippy would be here if there were more room. While I will always argue for Slippy I tried to keep this semi-realistic.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
8 characters now?

1.Issac
2.Lyn
3.Dark Samus
4.Ridley
5.Dixie
6.King K Rool
7.Pichu
8.I don't know...shadow?Some Link?

Now I feel 8 is too many imagine if I get that 100 working...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
5 and 8 both work, and don't look bizarre. If they do 8, if it even becomes possible, the remaining three slots will be used for Pichu, Bowser Jr. and any of the characters that are listed as super-easy (it's all relative) to clone.

However, I honestly don't expect them to go beyond 5 more slots, but a 5x10 grid with 49 characters and a random space does sound very visually appealing.

I really don't think 10 new characters (counting Moy) sounds appealing to the PMBR though. 5 almost sounds like a coding nightmare.

Edit:

I also can't shake the feeling that the whole "Able to add 100 characters" thing sounds a little too good to be true. Even if it wasn't, are there even enough sounds slots to add even 20 new characters or even less without intruding on the multiplayer aspects of the game in some obnoxious way?

I'll never touch Boss Battles again, so replacing Porky, Meta/Ridley (Ridley's just going to use his own files...), Tabuu, Petey and Rayquaza doesn't matter to me at all, but like...I really don't think thats enough sounds to cover every aspect of even 10 more characters (not counting Moy).

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Banjodorf's avatar reminded me: Is Funky Kong eligible? If he is then, considering they clone him from DK, they wouldn't even have to change his body shape.

I still imagine articles for him would be hard to get though. He should have guns because he ran the weapon shop in Donkey Kong 64.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Banjodorf's avatar reminded me: Is Funky Kong eligible? If he is then, considering they clone him from DK, they wouldn't even have to change his body shape.

I still imagine articles for him would be hard to get though. He should have guns because he ran the weapon shop in Donkey Kong 64.
He's got a trophy, so he's definitely eligible. I'd totally love Funky, even though Dixie and/or K. Rool ought to have priority. I think they could easily get by giving him some kind of barrel-jet related something (if possible) and his surfboard, since those are two things that originally defined his character and have returned in some way.

Still though, Funky would be pretty beast!

Edit: Actually, the DK series has a TON of eligible characters. Sakurai gave it alot of love in Brawl. Even Lanky, and the extra Kremlings from Barrel Blast have trophies. In fact, I think the only DKC2 Animal Buddy to not have a trophy aside from Glimmer and Clapper is Rattly. Poor Rattly...

Edit 2: Electric Kongaloo: Well, I just found out Chunky Kong is eligible, because he actually has a sticker, which I never even realized. Whoa. For some reason Sakurai remembering Chunky blew my mind. Poor Kiddy...

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If it were up to me, I'd include Dixie, Cranky, Funky, and K. Rool for DK reps. Kiddy sucks, sorry. I even prefer his big brother Chunky over him, he'd easily be a funny character considering how wimpy yet super strong he is.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If it were up to me, I'd include Dixie, Cranky, Funky, and K. Rool for DK reps. Kiddy sucks, sorry. I even prefer his big brother Chunky over him, he'd easily be a funny character considering how wimpy yet super strong he is.
I see we think alike. I'd include everyone on that list save for Cranky, just because for some reason I can't bring myself to want it. It's not that I don't love Cranky, I'd be a terrible DKC fan if I didn't, but...yeah.

Still though, if they do the 8 character thing, I'm all for DK getting two reps, because honestly it's a much more widely-received series than FE, and that will most likely get 4 reps. That, and Dixie and K. Rool are consistently on wishlists for a myriad of reasons.

(As a side note, I also support Dark Samus and Ridley if they do the 8 thing, just because Metroid falls into the same category, just slightly less than DKC.)

So, when was the last Mario character discussion?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well if Dark Samus has a lot of support, but what about it's moveset?
This PSA has a lot of good ideas:

I would like to see Dark Samus with more brutal and feral attacks, they could even gave it Snake's Brawl u-tilt, and the well liked SB64 Samus' bair, to reference how acrobatic it became in Corruption:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Right...

Y'know, speaking of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I've had a hard time coming up with a character to actually base him on, aside from Manchu and super elongated Luigi.

Uh...

Anybody had any ideas?

Edit: Jezus. That PSA makes me want Dark Samus even more than I'd already warmed up to.

With a bit of editing, because that usmash with the laser is pretty OP. (Obviously there would be intense editing, I just wanted to say it.)

The teleporting and phazon bombs are so legit...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Some Link for top tier.
Lol ok how about a link that uses other weapon's from a bunch of different games?

Fire rod
Ice rod
Deku leaf
Skward strike
Lets make some kind of super Link! why?Because we can...actually I don't know this sounds fun though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Assuming the PMBR sticks with using their clone engine, would they consider combined characters like Manchu as bases? I imagine it allows for more body shapes to be combined with other characters' movesets. Like if Toad was being made as a Mario clone I imagine his body shape being Ness' or Lucas' (their big heads altered slightly to resemble his mushroom top), so they could make a Ness with Mario's moveset as a base.

Or does this not work? I don't know what happens to characters when they get combined, I only saw the combinations in a Cracked article long, long ago.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Right...

Y'know, speaking of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I've had a hard time coming up with a character to actually base him on, aside from Manchu and super elongated Luigi.

Uh...

Anybody had any ideas?

Edit: Jezus. That PSA makes me want Dark Samus even more than I'd already warmed up to.

With a bit of editing, because that usmash with the laser is pretty OP. (Obviously there would be intense editing, I just wanted to say it.)

The teleporting and phazon bombs are so legit...
Look at the PSA I linked to for Waluigi in the OP

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Assuming the PMBR sticks with using their clone engine, would they consider combined characters like Manchu as bases? .
I sincerely doubt it, but I honestly can see no other way to do someone like WAAAAAAA.

Unless I've missed something, because Anti-Guy brought up all of the WAAAAA PSA's at the beginning of the thread. How were those created?

Edit:

Look at the PSA I linked to for Waluigi in the OP
Well there's that mystery solved.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Out of boredom, I think I'll create a moveset for another Link, based on A Link to the Past just cause it's my favorite. Going to look for some ideas.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
To be honest, I think it would be best if they just added Isaac and saki, none of them have there games represented on the roster so they would be 2 newcomers, and Saki is a gun slinger while Isaac has his psynergy so the pmbr could pull off some unique and crazy movesets, then there is the fact that its only 2 of them so we wouldn't get complaints about match-ups and what-not.

I honestly think it would be better if they only considered characters who don't already have there games represented, it would help them narrow down there choices and it would also help stifle the arguments about who they should add.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Well if Dark Samus has a lot of support, but what about it's moveset?
This PSA has a lot of good ideas:

I would like to see Dark Samus with more brutal and feral attacks, they could even gave it Snake's Brawl u-tilt, and the well liked SB64 Samus' bair, to reference how acrobatic it became in Corruption:
I made a post not too long ago with a link to a good moveset that everyone seemed to like, except for the final smash: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/64357422

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be honest, I think it would be best if they just added Isaac and saki, none of them have there games represented on the roster so they would be 2 newcomers, and Saki is a gun slinger while Isaac has his psynergy so the pmbr could pull off some unique and crazy movesets, then there is the fact that its only 2 of them so we wouldn't get complaints about match-ups and what-not.

I honestly think it would be better if they only considered characters who don't already have there games represented, it would help them narrow down there choices and it would also help stifle the arguments about who they should add.
Yeah, but it also comes down to characters they want to add, and also characters that are popular and/or actually wanted by the people that play the game. In this case, Isaac has a decent shot, Saki not so much.

That, and they've stated they'd like to use all the remaining clone slots. It doesn't have to be all at once, and if they all get used it probably won't be for a while, but I honestly think they'll use them all at some point.

That, and there's quite a few series that people feel aren't represented fully. Metroid and DKC are often cited as two, and don't get me started on F-Zero. However, F-Zero's problem is something else entirely, since it's two more popular characters still aren't either well-known or universally liked overall.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Time for my 8:

-Issac
-Ridley
-Lyn
-Sukapon
-Dixie
-Ray MK III
-Pichu
-Shadow

MLGF

Smash Lord
Alright. since Project M is obviously willing to put in 59 more characters, I'm giving my wishlist.

Isaac
Lyn
Sigurd
Waluigi
Black Shadow
Sword-Dorf
Slippy
Sandbag
King K. Rool
Dixie
Ridley
Dark Samus
Metroid
Bowser Jr.
Claus
Ray
Young Link
Doctor Mario
Leif
Cackletta
Fawful
Bunny Link
Link's Grandma
Link's Uncle
Zant
Eliwood
Mr. Mime
Skull Kid
Vaati
Red
GARY MOTHER****ING OAK
Fin
Dimentio
Louie
Captain Syrup
Brawl Wario
Funky Kong
Cranky Kong
Chunky Kong
King Kong
Batman
Sol Badguy
Ky Kiske
Robo Ky
Naked Snake
Liquid Snake
An actual Snake
And of course, the highly desired, the deeply loved pokemon apart of the Pikachu family...Raichu.

I think we can handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom