• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Like I said, my chances of buying Smash 4 goes down for each cut Mother character. Ness without Lucas would bring it down to 50%. Lucas without Ness? 25%. Without either, it's at 0%.

Which is saying something, considering it was Smash that even introduced me to them.
Considering Isaac wasn't an assist trophy present in the Nintendo Direct, that increases his chances of being confirmed. That should count for something.
Even if I personally prefer him for Project M

Shin F.

Smash Master
Considering Isaac wasn't an assist trophy present in the Nintendo Direct, that increases his chances of being confirmed. That should count for something.
Even if I personally prefer him for Project M
If Ness is still there, he brings the chances up, but if neither of them are, then nope. It might be fanatical, but Smash isn't Smash without some Earthbound - to me, at least. I was introduced to Ness not as an Earthbound character, but as a Smash character. Without him, it would be incomplete to me, and I refuse to buy a half-done game.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Well look. If you ALL re-watch the Nintendo Direct, you see Ridley's shadow, they show off Dark Samus assist, and a Metroid trophy. A clear tease about Ridley, but not confirming him as a boss. Don't believe me? He tricked everyone into thinking he removed Zero Suit Samus, just for LOLZ. You see fake Palutena trophy AND Pit's final smash changed, Palutena tease right there. And there were several Fire Emblem teases with Tiki's trophy and Lyn's assist returning. What that tells me is that Sakurai is clearly hinting at SOMETHING with these particular franchises.

Oh, and dat Midna, Zelda Shiek separation, zelda items teasing may be a hint towards Ganondorf getting a huge revamp.
Yeah, I'm seeing the tease being Meta Ridley as the boss and vanilla as playable.

or even pull a Tink on us and change Rids to Kraid if he is played in a match.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I can't see Nintendo taking a risk such as Ridley.
I don't understand how you people consider Ridley a "risk". Makes no sense. It is like people can't comprehend anything bigger than Bowser, or refuse to believe anything should be.

If Ness is still there, he brings the chances up, but if neither of them are, then nope. It might be fanatical, but Smash isn't Smash without some Earthbound - to me, at least. I was introduced to Ness not as an Earthbound character, but as a Smash character. Without him, it would be incomplete to me, and I refuse to buy a half-done game.
I can understand how you feel. My rage at Roy's removal was ungodly.

Yeah, I'm seeing the tease being Meta Ridley as the boss and vanilla as playable.

I'm not saying he is or is not going to be in the game. I'm just not believing anything Sakurai teases at face value.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand how you people consider Ridley a "risk". Makes no sense. It is like people can't comprehend anything bigger than Bowser, or refuse to believe anything should be.
People don't think that.

4 Bowsers on FOD is kind of cramped, but imagine 4 characters bigger than Bowser with large wingspans and tail lengths on FOD.

Bowser is seen as the biggest a Smasher should be for this reason.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
People don't think that.

4 Bowsers on FOD is kind of cramped, but imagine 4 characters bigger than Bowser with large wingspans and tail lengths on FOD.

Bowser is seen as the biggest a Smasher should be for this reason.
That is all, 100%, your opinion. I'm not going to repeat a discussion with you when I already know how you think. I don't care how you take this statement, because I just don't care enough about Ridley to get worked up over him. He is not a character I like, but I would rather him be confirmed playable then have to see his stupid name repeated in a discussion to turn into an all out flame war that is stretched out over 10 pages. Especially when the only pathetic argument at present is scaling.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Uhh, there was one guy who agreed with him. Other than that, no-one that I can remember from this thread.
No one from this thread you mean. Most of the "no swords" comments are directed specifically at Fire Emblem characters.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
Slippy Toad

TheReflexWonder, in a recent interview, brought up the possibility of adding Slippy Toad into the game. I thought that idea would be intriguing, so I put thought into his possible move set and other properties.

I imagine that his fighting style would be somewhat less disciplined than that of Fox and Falco's, as he comes off as not being as much of the hand-to-hand combat type. The time he spends around them, though, has led him to adopting their fighting style and adapting it to his own.

------------------------Ground------------------------

Neutral A: Does two quick jabs akin to Fox, with his third hit being a straight forward kick.
(For his kick, the animation would be Slippy jutting his foot straight out, with him throwing his arms back to keep his balance as he faces forward)

Forward-Tilt: Similar to Fox and Falco. Animation wise, he would seem to have a little more trouble keeping his balance, but the attack is more or less the same. The range and speed would be about the same as Fox's.

Up-Tilt: Slippy hops a little in the air, and claps his hands together above his head. The attack has similar properties to Fox and Falco's, except it has a longer range in front and above him, and the hitboxes are out a little longer. The attack is slightly slower, because he has to land back on the ground.

Down-Tilt: Slippy pokes his foot out in front of him. Has a downwards knockback angle. At low percents, the character will just flinch. At higher percents, the character can either tech off the ground, setting up for tech chases, or rebound off the ground, setting up for combos. The attack also has hitboxes that reach below the ledge, meaning the attack can be used to edge guard. In comparison to Fox's Down-Tilt, the attack is shorter ranged but quicker.

Dash Attack: Slippy slides face first on the ground. The attack is quicker at first, and slows down as he slides on the ground, meaning it can be canceled for a DACUS. The speed of the attack is similar to Fox and Falco's dash attack.

Up-Smash: Slippy leaps high in the air with an uppercut. Powerful sweetspot at the apex of the uppercut. Has weak hitboxes over his body on the way back down.

Forward Smash: Slippy lunges forward with a Butterfly Kick, akin to Fox's Forward Smash in Brawl. Has longer range and a wider overall hitbox, but slightly slower when compared to Fox or Falco's Forward Smash in PM/Melee. (Animation wise, Slippy swings his hands up in a way akin to Shiek's Down Smash on landing, in an effort to keep his balance)

Down Smash: Slippy does a split kick akin to Fox and Falco's Down Smash. Faster, but slightly shorter ranged than Fox's Down Smash.

------------------------Aerials------------------------

Neural Air: Similar to Fox and Falco's. When compared to Fox's, it hits a frame earlier but has slightly less range in front of him.

Down Air: Slippy gets in a belly flop position, spreads his arms out, and starts spinning. Has similar properties to Fox's Down Air, but with longer horizontal hitboxes and shorter vertical hitboxes. Frame data is the same as Fox's.

Up Air: Slippy quickly swipes the air above him with one hand, as if he were hitting a volleyball. Spikes when his hand is in the middle position, and has weak knockback when his hand is at the beginning and end of the swing.

Back Air: Slippy juts both legs behind him, as if he were lying on his side. Knockback similar to Fox's bair, with shorter range and a frame earlier startup. Hitboxes linger for a slightly less amount of time.

Forward Air: Very similar to Fox and Falco's Forward Air, but only kicks three times.

------------------------Specials------------------------

Blaster (Neutral-B): Slippy's blaster has the property of launching the opponent towards where the shot came from with weak-average knockback. When the B-button is held, Slippy will keep his blaster held in the firing position, and will fire once the B button is released. Tapping the B button fires it regularly. Slippy can change the direction he points the blaster with the control stick while B is held. In the air, Slippy retains aerial momentum as the blaster is held. The blaster can only be fired once at a time, so tapping the B button multiple times will result in him firing, putting the blaster away, and then pulling it out again and firing. The speed at which he pulls out and puts away the Blaster is similar to how fast Falco does it both on the ground and in the air, although he puts it away slightly faster. The blaster can auto cancel by landing. The projectile moves as fast as Falco's, and is green.

Slippy Mirage (Side-B): Slippy starts up, and dashes akin to Fox and Falco's Side-B. Slippy Mirage has a slightly faster startup but slightly shorter range than Falco's Side-B. Slippy Mirage has the property of being jump cancelable if the user is in the air and a(n) Illusion/Phantasm/Mirage cancel is performed. Slippy Mirage has an extra frame window for Mirage canceling closer to the very end of the attack. Jump canceling the Mirage will result in Slippy not going into his special fall, but prevents him from doing another Up-B or Side-B until he touches the ground.

Reflector "Shine" (Down-B): Slippy activates his reflector, akin to Fox and Falco. Default shine properties same as other Spacies. Slippy's reflector has the property of hitting the opponent at a downwards angle with weak/average knockback. Range is slightly less than that of Fox and Falco's reflector, and instead of halting your vertical momentum at the startup, it slows it down. Knockback scales with damage.

Fire Toad (Up-B): Similar to Fox and Falco's Up-B, with a startup time similar to Fox's and a distance between Fox and Falco's. The hitboxes that surround Slippy when Slippy launches the attack grow slightly as he travels through the air. Has hitboxes during the beginning of the charge-up.

--Taunts--

--Other Properties--

(To be continued)

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
And yet the most popular pick has a sword, and an awful lot of people support either a Zelda or Pokemon rep as a clone character.

Which is why I haven't read the last 20 pages of this thread.

Smash 4 hype over, back to elsewhere *whistles off*

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
And yet the most popular pick has a sword, and an awful lot of people support either a Zelda or Pokemon rep as a clone character.

Which is why I haven't read the last 20 pages of this thread.

Smash 4 hype over, back to elsewhere *whistles off*
Like I was saying before. The sword statements are usually directed specifically at Fire Emblem characters. It is really unfair to just single out a character by just saying the "sword" is the ultimate, 5 Star reason you do not want a character. If anything, Isaac being at the top just proves the argument is a load of bull****.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
@ AcousticAdrian AcousticAdrian Love the Slippy enthusiasm bruh, but tone it down a bit.
Just post general ideas regarding playstyle. No need to go full moveset spreadsheet.
It's fine, it just makes it easier to read for the rest of us and I'd think it'd be easier for you.
Keep on reppin' the Slipster tho.

AcousticAdrian

Smash Apprentice
@ AcousticAdrian AcousticAdrian Love the Slippy enthusiasm bruh, but tone it down a bit.
Just post general ideas regarding playstyle. No need to go full moveset spreadsheet.
It's fine, it just makes it easier to read for the rest of us and I'd think it'd be easier for you.
Keep on reppin' the Slipster tho.
Sorry, I just copied that over from another thread I posted, because a mod told me I should move it here. =P

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If someone thinks that 4 Ridleys on Final Destination would be cramped due to the wingspans, there's an easy solution--don't put hurtboxes on the wings.

If you're saying that'd make him OP, then thicken his skinny body to a reasonable proportion.

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
I thought just thought I share that I'm making a Masked Man move set since I'm such a big fan of the character. I'll post it tomorrow most likely.

OH AND HOLY **** FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I REALIZED THAT "CLAUS" AND "LUCAS" ARE SPELLED WITH THE SAME LETTERS. LIKE WOAH.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I thought just thought I share that I'm making a Masked Man move set since I'm such a big fan of the character. I'll post it tomorrow most likely.

OH AND HOLY **** FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I REALIZED THAT "CLAUS" AND "LUCAS" ARE SPELLED WITH THE SAME LETTERS. LIKE WOAH.
Can't wait

GJ

Last edited:

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
If someone thinks that 4 Ridleys on Final Destination would be cramped due to the wingspans, there's an easy solution--don't put hurtboxes on the wings.

If you're saying that'd make him OP, then thicken his skinny body to a reasonable proportion.
Ridley could be shrunken down in general. Bowser wasn't exactly small in a lot of Mario installments, but his size was reduced for Smash and Mario Kart. It might be weird at first but I could get used to a smaller scale Ridley.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ridley could be shrunken down in general. Bowser wasn't exactly small in a lot of Mario installments, but his size was reduced for Smash and Mario Kart. It might be weird at first but I could get used to a smaller scale Ridley.
He shouldn't be shrunken down too much though.

Just keep him as tall or just a little taller than Bowser, and above all else keep him taller than Samus.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Like I was saying before. The sword statements are usually directed specifically at Fire Emblem characters. It is really unfair to just single out a character by just saying the "sword" is the ultimate, 5 Star reason you do not want a character. If anything, Isaac being at the top just proves the argument is a load of bull****.
I honestly think it's less Fire Emblem hate, and more and expected copy of the Fire Emblem formula, granted only Marth and Roy were really copies of each other, Ike really stood out on his own. It's not really far at this point, Ike and Marth are quite different, and I assume if Lyn got added she would be quite different than the three guys already in PM already, at least I'd hope so.

Isaac however not only represents an unrepped series in Golden Sun, but is basically a mage knight, yeah he uses a sword, but he also controls Earth and Plantlife. If you saw my old idea for Isaac being a character focusing on 3 tiered chargable attacks, all his specials were based on his Psynergies, with the sword just being used more or less for his normal attacks.

I dunno, I don't mean to have any FE hate personally, although I'll admit I don't really play the games and do think the series has enough representatives for its popularity. But whatever. In the end, swords are cool.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
As a joke for the final character slot they should announce 'Goku' and not reveal any screenshots or information but then come April 1st 2015 or 2016 reveal that they were actually referring to Goku from Yūyūki, which is owned by Nintendo.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's a good day for the leaked list as several of the characters that were leaked were explicitly deconfirmed for Smash 4.

But a bad day for Ivysaur as it looks like she's cut.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
That reminds me... just out of curiosity, what is it exactly that makes people think of certain Pokemon in Smash (such as Ivysaur) as female?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

You see part of the tail in the shot where Sakurai talks about Stage Hazardley, and its clearly Other M Ridley's tail.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Has anyone else noticed that Greninja's Substitute and Water Shuriken are awfully Lucariolike?

I'm also laughing at everyone who was like "Lucario is gonna have too good recovery"

Cause it kinda killed him ;D

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Has anyone else noticed that Greninja's Substitute and Water Shuriken are awfully Lucariolike?

I'm also laughing at everyone who was like "Lucario is gonna have too good recovery"

Cause it kinda killed him ;D
Yeah the person demonstrating the aura buffed Extremespeed SD'd on pupose for comedic purposes. It's a promotional video not gameplay footage.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Yeah the person demonstrating the aura buffed Extremespeed SD'd on pupose for comedic purposes. It's a promotional video not gameplay footage.
Uh no. That's actually what will happen if you have too much damage Lordling. It's obviously for balancing, otherwise Lucario's recovery would be ridiculous.

Long as you can start spinning yourself over the stage or just go up you should be good

TreK

Is "that guy"
So, Lyn and Dark Samus are assist trophies in Smash 4. And also happen to be ranked veeeery high on the clone engine votes.

PMBR plz.

plz PMBR.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
...Did anyone else notice how specific Sakurai was about 3D ONLY throwing Gordos now?

Seems like a troll, but Sakurai is just throwing **** at us in directions we never expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom