• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Technique: Reflector Locking

Choice

Smash Champion
does this work in other places?

if it trips a certain amount of frames after someone lands this could be a great tool to **** falling metaknights who are jumping around lasers.

or marths.

edit but mainly metaknights.
Normally when you trip someone with reflector though, they just roll away and its over. Though you can bdacus them.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
if their near the edge though its a great frame trap, or on a platform where you basically can cover all their options.

However techniques uses develop through use, platform canceling wasn't big until people actually started using it all the time, and now larry platform cancels to chain grab against air campers LOL.

so reflector trips after someone hits the ground then? Does anyone know the window?

Choice

Smash Champion
i bet its during their landing lag. If it isnt they can just shield it afterwards anyways.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
do you think the landing lag counts if they used an attack as well or like just the normal landing?

Choice

Smash Champion
beats me, someone should test it. i'm not even 100% sure about tripping being guaranteed upon landing, but while testing some stuff with wolf before, i've seen what would appear to be evidence for it while using dtilt.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
xaltis is annoying
HEY Xaltis is a very skilled player he is a ranked fl player his post might be "annoying"
but you can bet that when he posts his thoughts ideas vids or theory people stop and read.\

also i feel like we are getting ahead of ourselves with this Jack Lock i dont see to many follow ups that the opponent cant beat with reaction.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Need to know at what distance you can get away with it. Even against a wall on a place like Delphino, I doubt you could get it on every character at point-blank range. I would think it would preform better the farther away you are from the opponent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each character trips differently and would be affected differently.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Best thing about the video was the use of the Pokémon Colosseum First Battle theme.

Looks interesting, it's worth a try for me because I use PS1 a lot.

clowsui

Smash Legend
HEY Xaltis is a very skilled player he is a ranked fl player his post might be "annoying"
but you can bet that when he posts his thoughts ideas vids or theory people stop and read.\
slurp slurp

also people, stop mispelling delfino...no ph, just an f

Xaltis

Smash Hero
To anyone who thinks I'm annoying online, thats a good thing. Cause anyone who's EVER thought that about me online has LOVED me in person. So technically whoever thinks I'm annoying online actually loves me. XD

Also, lol @ ppl getting mad.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
is it possible that the jiggs just got unlucky and tripped 3 times with whatever variables were at play :o

Choice

Smash Champion
even if jiggs was unlucky. i've had the same thing happen with me vs snake before. it is possible that both cases were just really dumb luck, but i'm not entirely convinced.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I need to do more research but I think, if you trip some one with a move that can trip, and then hit them with the same move during their trip animation at the correct time, it will trip over and over again

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Alright joking/trolling time is over.

If we wanna be serious about this. I'm pretty sure NOBODY should try it. What will probably happen is the opponent will shield your reflector then you'll get punished for it. So it's not even safe.

Choice

Smash Champion
if you're behind the tree on ps1, you won't get punished. that's pretty much the only time i would attempt something like this consistently. as well as when theres a wall, but they would eventually roll out and then just punish that roll. so long as you space your reflectors well, you shouldn't get punished. i think reflector is so much better than people actually think.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Reflector has a lot of uses, man. It's just that a lot of people don't bother to use it. While talking about the possibilities of locks with Reflector, we can also talk about other situations where reflector would be one of the best, if not, the best move to use.

Choice

Smash Champion
its a great spacing tool. its like a worse version of d3's ftilt but we can use it in the air.

Choice

Smash Champion
i'm pretty serious about that. i mean at max range its pretty difficult to punish, that being the case though you shouldn't just always use it at max range or something. the same goes for d3's ftilt though. i mean he can't even really use it much in a neutral position because of how punishable it is.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
beats me, someone should test it. i'm not even 100% sure about tripping being guaranteed upon landing, but while testing some stuff with wolf before, i've seen what would appear to be evidence for it while using dtilt.
I went ahead and tested the tripping. Got a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_n-kNvbqNo

Tripping is 100% guaranteed after they land from just a jump. I couldn't test if it works after aerials, but I would be willing to say it does. The window for forcing the trip is pretty small, so it takes good timing and prediction.

However, using it near the edge of a map like FD has limited uses. If you tried to trip MK on the edge and get a fsmash on him, it wouldn't work. Either you are too close and you push him off or you are too far and cant cover all the ground with a fsmash. I'm sure there are other leads though.

And the Jack Lock seems way too unlikely to be viable.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Andgravy, do the same thing in vs. mode and see if it still happens. The reason I'm saying this is because it seems that training mode makes people trip more then they actually would during a match. IT might have to do with scaling. If it does have to do with scaling then this should work at least once during a match.

Top Bottom