• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nesu] It's so deserted here I could find Criminal Caterpillars. (Post here if you're cool)

Best Ness Outfit?

• Total voters

Uffe

Smash Hero
That's lame. And I'm going to tell you why. He used to be the third best character and now he's not? That makes a lot of sense. Did they learn some new stuff with the other characters?

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Since I don't play SSB64, my knowledge on the game is limited. From what that topic said, the reason for his drop was that DJCs were no longer viewed as devastating as they were, namely due to Ness' lack of range. What, did they somehow not notice his lack of range for the past 10 years? It makes sense that those with some range on their moves would find their way around DJCs, but I have trouble seeing how that would swing his matchups around as much as they're claiming.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Since I don't play SSB64, my knowledge on the game is limited. From what that topic said, the reason for his drop was that DJCs were no longer viewed as devastating as they were, namely due to Ness' lack of range. What, did they somehow not notice his lack of range for the past 10 years? It makes sense that those with some range on their moves would find their way around DJCs, but I have trouble seeing how that would swing his matchups around as much as they're claiming.
You're right that it does lack range, but what you may have forgotten was that there is some major hitstun in Super Smash Bros. Getting one DJC in means trouble for the other guy. If that's the reason, though, that's pretty stupid. Did they suddenly figure ways to get out of it? I truly doubt that that's the reason, though. Why would one attack change a characters placement?

If that's the case, the Ice Climbers should be way at the top of the tier list. They do have an infinite on every character in Melee I believe and in Brawl, no doubt. Than again, their grabs lack range. Still, I don't think there is one match you'll never get grabbed by the Ice Climbers.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Yes, I've seen the amount of hitstun in SSB64. And you're right, just one DJC can mean a 0-to-death combo. That's why their reasoning seems off - if you're playing against a halfway decent Ness, there's no way you can consistently go entire matches without getting hit (unless you're Isai, perhaps).

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Nearly every hit in 64 leads to a 0 to death combo. So being able to do that is not that respectable...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, okay, then DJC pressures shields really bad and because the shields also have shield stun, there isn't much they can do. Broken shield leads to broken comboing.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I am a good 64 player and I will say although I don't like Ness' drop, I mostly agree with it.

Let me just begin by saying that the original tier list was from gamefaqs and most 64 players did not agree with it. So we decided to make a new tier list based off of a matchup discussion thread.

The reasons for Ness' placement drop are:

Some baaaad matchups.
Ness has a very hard time dealing with Pikachu, Fox, and Mario.

Lack of range/approach.
In high levels of play this becomes very important and hurts Ness a lot. Also this ruins Ness' amazing shield pressuring ability. This is also the one of the reasons why DJC combos are less devasting than previously thought.

His recovery and weight.
Ness is not as heavy as he is in Melee and Brawl, he's slightly heavier than Pikachu making him the 4th lightest character in the game. This means it's pretty easy to knock him off. Although his recovery goes very far and has excellent priority, he is extremely vulnerable at the beginning and end of it. Most characters can easily jump out and gimp you while attempting a recovery, it's ridiculous. While aiming your recovery downwards and landing on the stage offers no lag at the end, landing from freefalls gives you a HUGE amount of lag. Plus it is very hard to sweetspot ledges with PKT2, missing by an inch means a crash.

Nobody plays Ness.
I'm probably the only decent Ness main who still regularly plays 64. Not a lot of people even secondary Ness. Plus the large amount of Pikachu, Fox, and Mario users online further trouble any Ness users including myself. Only rep Ness is getting is from people like Isai, who can use any character godly.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
So then the original "tier list" from Smashwiki was completely botched up. I can understand if the actual opinions of pro SSB64-ers would differ from something on a Wiki (because hey, it's a Wiki, plus it came from Gamefaqs), but at the same time I wonder why no one bothered to edit/elaborate on that first list to prevent confusion. Of course, with the new tier list in place, that no longer matters.

Dajayman

It took so long to edit smashwiki's 64 tier list because the 64 community is extremely small.

Who would've thought smash64 played Smash 64?!?! Madness!

I was a zombie yesterday! If you dressed up as a zombie and went to Navy Pier you got to see a FREE early screening of Zombieland. It was so fun! And Zombieland is an awesome movie, go see it! ;)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You hate ur bro? That sucks. I have no siblings. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing I don't know.

Dajayman

My sister is cool, but I currently am going to kill her since she keeps forgetting to bring her PS2 home from her bf's house and I desperately want a DVD players and to play her GH2.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
............................................................... ???
speaking of killing, (i don't know how that can transition well into anything, but for some reason it can here....) there was once this anime on adult swim about this guy with rollerskates and a baseball bat that went around town/city killing random people, but i can't remember any details about specific episodes OR the name... weird way of relating things?!?!? OF COURSE!!!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Um... FLCL? Just a possible guess, it's not really like that. =/

All I remember is that baseball was a part of the anime, and then I was rather confused most of the time.

Dajayman

It's not FLCL Delta... <3 FLCL and The Pillows. I want to own a yellow vespa because of that anime.

I know what you're talking about Eagayleye, but I don't remember the name of it because I never watched it. It didn't look fooly cooly enough.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Flcl is my favorite anime (I have it all on DVD)... Second is a tie btween ruroni kenshin, dbz, and yuyu hakusho... Ruroni kenshin is awesome, has good music, the people are cool, and has a good story behind it, but so do the others (to an extent).

Dajayman

Let me borrow your FLCL DVDs please!
I was going to download all six FLCL episodes from one of the torrents sites, but I don't like downloading stuff anymore because my PC got a ton of viruses on it because I downloaded a bunch of music and one of the music torrents was obviously bad. This is why I don't have a PC anymore. ;_;

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
............................................................... ???
speaking of killing, (i don't know how that can transition well into anything, but for some reason it can here....) there was once this anime on adult swim about this guy with rollerskates and a baseball bat that went around town/city killing random people, but i can't remember any details about specific episodes OR the name... weird way of relating things?!?!? OF COURSE!!!
It's Paranoia Agent...

I actually enjoyed that show, it grew on me. FLCL is trippy but in a good way.

Top Bottom