• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nesu] It's so deserted here I could find Criminal Caterpillars. (Post here if you're cool)

Best Ness Outfit?

• Total voters

_clinton

Smash Master
hmmm an Earthbound Jeff challenge....

No Ness
No Paula
No Poo
Jeff only
......final destination
Fixed that as far as I'm going, screw the idea of having no MBRs or BBRs. The only reason they are seen as broken in a normal game is because Jeff has Ness, Paula, and Poo to back him up.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I HAVENT PLAYED AN EARTHBOUND GAME SO I WOULDNT KNOW

But I would guess its a female character

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm like never around here and I find this interesting.
But there's hardly any relevant female characters in EarthBound so anyone's guess is as good as mine.
Well considering there's going to be tons of people in this movie...haha.

I get to be the news reporter that gives everyone the news of the meteorite falling, as well as a couple other news bulletins that'll be around the movie.

Now to find a suit to wear, and to wear an open shirt.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
He's a long time guy though, and a total bad***.

I have tons of respect for him. He does a lot for Ness.

_clinton

Smash Master
I'd think I make a good Everdred, but that is just me.

So progress with solo Jeff so far. I've beat the 3rd strongest mole and his 4 friends. That place can go up in flames for all I care as Jeff only. Oh and Jeff's needed IQ to fix the double beam makes me pretty mad. Why is it 34! I had to kill two of the moles with the laser gun only just because of that (one to get the IQ cap. the other to get the platinum band, because Jeff needed it for the foes there).

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Good Good Good News guys, new Nintendo console, which means. New Smash possibly? New Mother Probably? Who knows!?!?

_clinton

Smash Master
I don't see a new Mother coming anytime soon, and I'm sort of sick of gaming in general when it comes to getting new stuff when things like how Nintendo hasn't cut the cost of a new SMG1 in three years because of how well stuff like Wii Fit does. Hope you guys are ok with no more Player's Choice options (as in games getting released at a discount price after they have been out for a while) guys because Nintendo is about to get rid of them even in Japan.

I guess Nintendo isn't the only company that makes me mad though (Sony).

Anyway, how about a quick 30 second highlight of my Ness that I've been wanting to put out for 2 years and with it the reason why you don't see videos of my Ness that often ^_^ (As in I need to get good recording options)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefCI8dqDSE

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys, and im being serious here, I'm not trolling and have an honest question, but i dont think ness is all that great, do you all agree? And if you think he is good, who should I play if I want to fight a good ness that can SHOW that ness is good? Back in September of last year or so I played FOW, and even I took a game off his ness. I SUCKED *** back then. Even though i do enjoy playing as him, I really don't think he's that great.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I can show you all the random stuff that people never do with ness, if that's what you want.

Otherwise, Shaky or Barto or Vice or Smash64 are all really good.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I mean someone to play to show me. It seems like the people who lose to ness are the ones that don't know his gimmicks or what to watch out for. (I'm talking about PK Thunder 2, Dair on the ledge/gimps, etc) Once you figure out Ness he's a drastically more minuscule treat. I wanna play someone who can prove he has the tools to fight an aware opponent.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Then play me.

Also, Miles...isn't that a rumor?

EDIT: Don't underestimate him either. He still has the tools to turn matches around. How do you think Shaky did so well when he played a lot in Florida, Gashi? He plays those guys ALL the time and still dos very well. I'm sure they've seen all his tricks, wouldn't you agree?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Guys, and im being serious here, I'm not trolling and have an honest question, but i dont think ness is all that great, do you all agree? And if you think he is good, who should I play if I want to fight a good ness that can SHOW that ness is good? Back in September of last year or so I played FOW, and even I took a game off his ness. I SUCKED *** back then. Even though i do enjoy playing as him, I really don't think he's that great.
Personally I agree. As a character I'm not convinced Ness is 'good'.

Thing is, you have to remember there's a human being playing even a terrible character, and I believe human potential is unlimited in things like this. It's like Yink was saying, I'm sure top players in FL knew most of what Ness could do, but you can never be 100% of what the player will do. Being unpredictable and, more importantly, making intelligent choices with a limited set of options is what makes Ness appear better than his mechanics. While you are learning Ness' "gimmicks", a good Ness player will also pick up on your habits and patterns in the process.

I'm not sure how you'd define gimmicks, but it seems to come up with Ness a lot, lol.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I agree with Yink, but I feel the best way to represent Ness is as a secondary. Ness has been looked @ as a gimmick character tbh. FL does really well against Ness cuz of Shaky of course, but you can't forget FL is the home of D3 and Snake. 2 Character's that **** him in GR's. That doesn't mean there isn't hope because Shaky places well enough. However, it's all depends on what you consider "well". 12th isn't well imo. When I found out about Shaky's placings I cringed because it was a pure reflection of how good I could be with this character. Even if I ***** a regional with Ness, it'd be nearly impossible to repeat because my character is very limited. Consistency, is very hard with character like Ness. Ness isn't as good as Sonic imo. Sonic has proven that he's a better character than people think. Because even with his limits, Sonic players could easily play gay and have a gameplan going in. Take lead and run. Which is essentially the best way to play him. Ness doesn't have that, he's good but risk vs reward is too strong on risks side I feel =/. I consider people @ least picking up a 2nd for gay MU's. Like if Shaky went MK on the D3's then he could go further in bracket. Same with Snake.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Ness is a bad character. That's it.
Unless you consider the entire mid tier good.
People got all hyped because FOW was beating good players at Winterfest, yet M2K and Larry both solidly beat him, both of them have experience in the Ness MU. Shaky? Nick Riddle hasn't lost to him in like forever, and If I recall right, Seibrik has also beaten him the last few times they played. ESAM recently lost to him, but it's an even MU and they go back and forth. At that same tourney, he lost to CO18 and Bunnyma (a relatively unknown snake player). Ness really isn't that great of a character when your opponent realizes their GR options, gimping options, and what gimmicks to look out for.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ness has few gimmicks when you start to play him more awesomely... I rarely use PKT2, but I use PKT in unbelievably smart ways. I rarely Fair wall, but I sometimes use Fair to get chains from things, b/c having an opponent in the air for a split second allows for some grab/other followups.

NESS' BAIR IS NO GIMMICK! THAT IS UNSTOPPABLE!
Ness' Uair is meh in the grand scheme, but a good ness can space that super well and get tons of unexpected hits and rack damage well in the process.
Now that I have both the regular PK Jump and the wavebounce/b-reverse one completely mastered, PK Jump is a SEMI gimmick. I can string some aerials into it with ease, especially bair, which sets up nicely.
NESS' DAIR AC'd AN AWESOME MINDGAME, TACTIC, MOVE, WHATEVER! Really.... you can AC the dair and go into jabs or grabs if you're coming down on a shield (just be sure to land wherre the opponent can't grab you or OoS upB or something stupid).

I'll get some vids by the end of the month. WAIT UNTIL THEN! I've gotta describe some things...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Personally I agree. As a character I'm not convinced Ness is 'good'.

Thing is, you have to remember there's a human being playing even a terrible character, and I believe human potential is unlimited in things like this. It's like Yink was saying, I'm sure top players in FL knew most of what Ness could do, but you can never be 100% of what the player will do. Being unpredictable and, more importantly, making intelligent choices with a limited set of options is what makes Ness appear better than his mechanics. While you are learning Ness' "gimmicks", a good Ness player will also pick up on your habits and patterns in the process.

I'm not sure how you'd define gimmicks, but it seems to come up with Ness a lot, lol.
I agree with Yink, but I feel the best way to represent Ness is as a secondary. Ness has been looked @ as a gimmick character tbh. FL does really well against Ness cuz of Shaky of course, but you can't forget FL is the home of D3 and Snake. 2 Character's that **** him in GR's. That doesn't mean there isn't hope because Shaky places well enough. However, it's all depends on what you consider "well". 12th isn't well imo. When I found out about Shaky's placings I cringed because it was a pure reflection of how good I could be with this character. Even if I ***** a regional with Ness, it'd be nearly impossible to repeat because my character is very limited. Consistency, is very hard with character like Ness. Ness isn't as good as Sonic imo. Sonic has proven that he's a better character than people think. Because even with his limits, Sonic players could easily play gay and have a gameplan going in. Take lead and run. Which is essentially the best way to play him. Ness doesn't have that, he's good but risk vs reward is too strong on risks side I feel =/. I consider people @ least picking up a 2nd for gay MU's. Like if Shaky went MK on the D3's then he could go further in bracket. Same with Snake.
I have to admit, I was talking to Illmatic the other night, and we were discussing this. He really feels the same way and brought up an excellent example: Game and Watch.

Game and Watch is a very predictable character, very 2D (literally). Yet...he still does very well despite people knowing tricks and moves. We can argue "Well that's different because GaW is just a lot better than Ness", and yeah that's right, but is it really all that different?

I personally believe that Ness is good, it's all in how you use him. Same is true with other characters. Ness might be predictable but hell, look at how far he gets? I don't want to hear "People don't know the matchup" because there are at least 3 or 4 Ness mains off the top of my head that played tons and still did so well despite people flat out knowing what to do.

It's all interpretation, imo. I think Ness can hold his own if you're an above average - astounding player. Should you pick up a secondary? I'd sure recommend it. But I'm not going to put him down as a character either.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Ness is in no way a "bad" character. Nor does he rely on gimmicks. It has been proven time and time again Ness is viable and you can place very well with him. Shaky is a prime example of this. He placed VERY well at all MLG events he went too, and was 1 round away from the championship bracket at MLG Dallas.

The "people that know what to do against Ness destroy him" argument is void as well. Shaky again constantly does very well when all the people there know the match up. FOW as well has done very good against top level talent as well that know what they are doing. On a personal level i play against people that know exactly how to abuse things against Ness, however i do not find it to be overly devastating by any means.

Yes of course Ness has a harder time than a lot of characters, however he is viable. Don't blame the character on your mess ups. You died to grab-release? You should not have been in that position in the first place. I know it's not easy, but to say that Ness is not viable or a "bad" character is just silly and taking the easy way out. The Game and Watch is a good example, while he is a good character, he is not a beast like some like to make him out to be. UTD Zac was a prime example of pushing a character further than people that was possible. He always found a way around his problems instead of saying "it is too hard, or Game and Watch is a bad character" we can do the same, we have the tools

I am with Y!nk on this one, also there is no wrong in picking up a secondary, there is some really bad stuff that can be avoided by doing so. Don't give up on our boy though:ness: instead find solutions, and better yourself as a player.

You call can do this, it really comes down to how bad you want it, and how much time you are willing to put into it.

Top Bottom