• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Eh let's not make this into that kind of thread. I think we should be happy MOTHER has a rep in general.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I like the little guy too, but you never know. As I told the Lucas thread already, thinking positively is necessary right now. If there's absolutely any consolidation to what Smash 4 gave us it was that Doctor Mario is in, and means Lucas could come back in a future installment.

Tottenham

Smash Cadet
First of all, I want to say that I'm truly happy my main is back. I would have zero motivation to get this game if he wasn't in it.

Also, that Magicant stage is something beyond beautiful, so many great memories came back because of it. Thank you so much Sakurai, now if you can only bring back Lucas, even if it is as DLC, we will have everything a Mother/EB fan want in a Smash game.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I love Ness' new portrait, and his model seems a little more in line with his Earthbound self.

His new Fair animation is lovely.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I couldn't tell from gameplay, but does Ness' running attack still hit 3 times like in Brawl, or 2 times like in Melee?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
As bummed as i am about Lucas, Ness definitely helps. At least Mother won't fade away now. I'm liking how he looks, definitely using him as a secondary now(i didnt use him much in Brawl cause Lucas, but i was always good with him, now im going to get better at him). Also, OMIGOSHTHATMAGICANTSTAGEANDMUSIC! :D

Still surprised over no Ninten Alt. I mean, he's giving Mother 1 all the spotlight now. :\ I bet the only reason it's getting the spotlight is because of the 25th anniversary though.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Melee's dash attack hit three times as well... It actually had four hitboxes total, but the fourth one was inside his palms and really hard to hit with (and it had bad knockback)

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm going to start by saying the Magicant stage is absolutely beautiful.

Important things I noticed on the leak stream relating to Ness:

They added sparkles to some of his moves.

His fair has a new animation where he leans forward and stick out his arm. The sparkle looks smaller than before, but it reaches much further. Still has multiple hits, but seems to connect better. This is a huge buff imo. It's like a combo of Ness and Lucas' fairs from brawl.

Dair has the brawl animation (or something that looks like it) with an extra sparkle at the bottom. Again another combo between Ness and lucas (it still seems to only have one hit).

Dash attacks sparkles look smaller but appear to be more disjointed. Might have the same overall range, but Ness' model is way smaller in this game.

Pk thunder looks bigger. Didn't see pkt2 (sorry simna bin laden).

Pk fire looks like it reaches futher.

Pk flash was never fully charged but it's still definitely faster than melee. Not sure about the comparison to brawl's pk flash, but I think it's faster.

D-smash looks faster too. U-smash seems to be the same as in brawl. Like in his dash attack, his overall hurtbox is smaller in relation to the range of these attacks.

F-tilt looked the same. =/

U-tilt looked like it had some sparkles to it, but it was hard to tell.

Bair looked like it had some extra range and uair seemed to have a new animation, but I couldn't get good looks at them.

Same airdodge animation. Still has sparkles on his dj.

His new sfx are hilarious and trolly. Sounds like a psychic arcade machine lol.

Was gonna drop him for duck hunt dog, but now I might be able to beat the **** out of people with him in this game. Magicant might be my new favorite banned stage lol.

Together we ride from melee is still in. Hype.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Please do not attempt to infer the knockback of moves when they are used in 1p mode. Try using pkt on any team fight on easy in melee or 64 and it'll look op in those games too. If pkt is not intagible in this game like in melee then it will still probably be a bad projectile. I really want to know his alternate special moves since it could fix a lot of his problems.
I noticed basically all that you did, and he definitely does have sparkles on the majority of his moves now. Some of the moves even seem like Ness and Lucas' Brawl ones combined in ways, as you pointed out as well.

Ness overall seems faster in most aspects.

PK Thunder does look considerably bigger now.

PK Fire seemed to have slightly less ending lag / harder to punish now if Ness misses perhaps? Would be nice. Still has the same effect though which is nice; seems to travel a bit farther.

Dash attack looks much bigger in terms of hit-box. Still seems to hit 3x.

Also noticed B-Air seemed bigger in terms of hit-box.

Didn't see much of PK Flash charged, but it seems faster and more practical.

Didn't see his FS, sadly. I hope for PSI Rockin', but I'm sure it's still PK Star Storm.

D-Smash seems quite nice now, there may be less ending lag.

U-Tilt's animation actually reminded me of Lucas' U-Smash from Brawl in terms of the sparkles, it doesn't hit like a truck though, obviously. =P

U-Smash seemed largely the same.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm going to put extra effort into Fox and Ness in this game.

Keep the memory of Wolf and Lucas strong. Mother is a masterpiece of a series. I have literally never played a game that has left the impression on me that they did. I've even debated posting a massive rant on why the series means so much to me.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Pkt being bigger might actually be a nerf since then it's easier to intercept when you are recovering =X

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
It's also nice though for harassing people offstage. I don't think it's a total nerf at all. Ness will still go hard if this game is low recovery based (which, it's not looking like high recovery based like Brawl.)

Hoezay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hoezay
3DS FC
4055-2969-6824
It's been almost a day since someone started to stream smash and no word of his Final Smash yet?

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I think it's awesome that MOTHER is still holding a place in the Smash Bros series at all! Not only from Ness being playable, but that Magicant stage was such a pleasant surprise, definitely looking forward to playing there!

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
Did his yoyo smashes lose their charge damaging effects? It looks like he charges them close to his body, then hits with them.

(edit) Is Jeff confirmed as an Assist Trophy?

Also here is a gif from Kangi on NeoGAF of Ness's Final Smash. Looks dope.

Last edited:

Tikao

Smash Ace
I actually forgot about this, but his recovery should be buffed up by a lot, just because you can't edgehog someone in this game, so you can always just pkt2 to the edge from a distance where it's harder or simply suicide to try and stop ness

I don't know if you can hit him out of the pkt2 or jump in it with a counter, but if you can simply pkt2 to the edge, then his recovery shouldn't hold him back anymore (which used to be his biggest drawback)

these new edge mechanics buff up maaaany recoveries, but I think it's safe to say that it buffes up ness' recovery the most (maybe lucario's, but his recovery got super-buffed when he has his aura-bonus anyway)

btw that pk-starstorm looks sexy now, is it aiming or can you control it?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Did his yoyo smashes lose their charge damaging effects? It looks like he charges them close to his body, then hits with them.

(edit) Is Jeff confirmed as an Assist Trophy?

Also here is a gif from Kangi on NeoGAF of Ness's Final Smash. Looks dope.

Yeah Jeff is an Assist Trophy again. That upgraded Final Smash looks pretty neat.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
One costume is Master Belch and the other is the file select screen from Mother 2. Pretty nice ideas imo.
I hope Ness gets Lucas's PK Fire. I really liked it.

Tikao

Smash Ace
i just realised ness' fair is dope now, it was a reeaaaaaly good move in brawl with sdi, now it got potentially buffed AND there is no sdi

ness might be a good charakter ... pls be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom