• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Hey on the Dk vs Ness matchup is it 55-45? or is it 70-30?
I heard that Dk can grab release ness something like that... Is that true?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think he can cargo carry most characters, can't he? It's 55:45, DK. You can just hold up on the analog to fall out of his arms quicker no matter how high your percent is. But he can still d-smash you. :( Now I've got a problem. How do you fight Link? I lost to a Link today. :S He'd throw his Boomerang a lot and I couldn't really get around it. I don't know if it was just my controller not responding when I needed it to or if it was just wifi.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I think he can cargo carry most characters, can't he? It's 55:45, DK. You can just hold up on the analog to fall out of his arms quicker no matter how high your percent is. But he can still d-smash you. :( Now I've got a problem. How do you fight Link? I lost to a Link today. :S He'd throw his Boomerang a lot and I couldn't really get around it. I don't know if it was just my controller not responding when I needed it to or if it was just wifi.
DK has an infinite on Ness and lucas =/

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Not necessarily.. like wise how he turns if you predict Di in the right direction he'll end facing you are free... you can also try di'ing by reacting to the release then using DI.

It's pretty much a standing chain grab until you Di right....

And di'ing right isn't easy.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Not necessarily.. like wise how he turns if you predict Di in the right direction he'll end facing you are free... you can also try di'ing by reacting to the release then using DI.

I remember this. A Donkey Kong told this to me once.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright, I've got 2.

There is absolutely nothing you can do against a Marth when he has grabbed you is there? Ness nor Lucas can break away from it and if you have nigh enough damage he just up specials you after it. Any tips to not get caught by this? This is the ONLY reason I lost to a Marth today and god was it annoying. He was good though.

ALSO Diddy banana spamming. Tips on that. I won today but I know I'll lose sometime. I can't dodge forever haha. I try to catch them and throw them back and I keep trying to fair but the Diddy still manages to spam bananas.

Uffe

Smash Hero
For Marth, stages with slants do you some justice. I like fighting Marth mains, but when they pull that grab crap, it annoys me. It's bad enough they're our worst match up. Why not fight like a man? Afraid you're going to get your ***** stomped by a boy with a speech impediment?

For Diddy Kong, less rolling, more fairing and nairing. You can nair on placed and tossed bananas. It's tricky, but it's not hard to do. The timing doesn't even need to be that precise, either. What you do with the banana is up to you. You can toss them left, right, up or down, it doesn't matter. Just be creative with those.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
For Marth, stages with slants do you some justice. I like fighting Marth mains, but when they pull that grab crap, it annoys me. It's bad enough they're our worst match up. Why not fight like a man? Afraid you're going to get your ***** stomped by a boy with a speech impediment?

For Diddy Kong, less rolling, more fairing and nairing. You can nair on placed and tossed bananas. It's tricky, but it's not hard to do. The timing doesn't even need to be that precise, either. What you do with the banana is up to you. You can toss them left, right, up or down, it doesn't matter. Just be creative with those.
Thanks Uffe :3 Also...lol to the sentence I bolded. I literally woke up my roommate with that.

Uffe

Smash Hero
This all seems vaguely familiar. Like I've said that before. I'm having some deja vu right now. Anyway, I'm not sure if waking up your roommate was the best thing to do, so I apologize. :laugh: Anyway, I'm off to bed. I need to wake up early.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
This question probably comes up quite a lot, sorry if it's been asked recently, but what playstyle should be adopted when playing against MK?
I main Pit and Diddy but I really like to play Ness more than mains, it's just that he is too gimpable in high tier matchups.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
He's not gimpable if you know what you're doing and can read your opponent easily...
Anyways, playing normally for me is fine, except I use less uair, psi magnet, pkt, and .... Something else I'm forgetting. More pivot-pkfire from a safe distance, fair, and something else that I'm also forgetting... Know the timing of your dodges and rolls, because mk can punish easily if you mess up... Learn proper sdi'ing on the nado and drill (more nado though)... I'm not a pro at fighting mk's, so if you are able to ask fow... If not, then I need someone else to say something...

And against diddy, always maintain possession of at least one banana... Nair is the key to getting bananas in some situations... You also have to learn how to time a dash attack to grab a banana... The shield can block a banana, but if you roll, spotdodge, or a banana is placed near your feet (with the shield up even) then you trip. Djc the bananas to get distance when you thro the bananas at the diddy, and usmash or dsmash out of that... This matchup is where I use dsmash the most...other stuff also coming, but basically it's a bit of playing campy and avoiding bananas. Also aerial pkfire is ok, if you can hit with it...

xoxokev

Smash Lord
this response isn't directly for playing against MK, it can and should be applied to every character you play against:

play aggressively, but also play smart. pay attention to your spacing, don't do things that your opponent can easily punish (unless you're feeling risky). mix up your move set, ness has a lot of quick attacks, each good in certain situations. for example, if you're in shield, nair out of shield to punish; if you land close to them and want to get them in the air, utilt; if you are close and want to be annoying, spam dtilt - also good to spam while at the ledge when opponent is trying to recover; etc etc. don't be too concentrated on trying to land a specific attack/"combo", if it doesn't work the first time, move on... you will start to become predictable. for example, if you are trying to kill, you don't always have to use bthrow. ness has other great kill moves, such as bair, uair, nair depending on % and position, fsmash, etc etc. just be mindful of everything and try to predict what your opponent might do next, try not to give them too many options so that it's easier to know what they will do. when in doubt, shield.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well I'm glad we have some responses to that question. I couldn't even answer that. :/

Chuee

Smash Hero

This is what DK does.
Grabs Ness --> A few pummels --> Cargo hold --> Walk in the opposite direction --> Ness is released right behind DK and he has enough time to turn around regrab.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Vs. Diddy kong learn to grab the bannanas. I personally use fair to grab them instead of nair since I can just fair diddy in the face lol.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Myyyyyyyyy Ness
Ohhhh sorry I just saw I read that wrong.

Well, I can't answer that properly unless you show me a video of you playing. Ask yourself 3 major questions though:

1. Do you keep enough distance between yourself and your opponent?
2. Do you make use of short hops and combos between those?
3. Do you use mindgames well?

Those probably aren't even close to being the best questions you could ask, but I frequently ask myself that. Other Ness users will give you more info. If you have a video of you playing that would help as well : )

----------

EDIT: I just heard something. For the deathgrab, is it true that Ness has a 1 second frame where he can get out? Someone just told me that he does, however Lucas is totally trapped.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully standing infinites are banned in tourneys here :D

With the MK strats, lemme get this straight. Basically I need to play smarter and not just rush in and try something fancy just stick with the basic spaced fair punishing anything I can with whatever I can. Is there anything Ness can counter glide attack with?? I noticed that the MK player I play normally just glide attacks in and does an insta-dsmash. I don't think Ness has anything fast enough to counter that and I'm pretty sure that MK's dmash is safe on shield. So with that approach I can basically do nothing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
PK Thunder forces the gliding opponent to either take the hit or hit the PK Thunder with their gliding aerial (glair). You should try and tail whip them. PK Flash can do the same thing, but between you and me, I'd rather not do either one. Some people try to counter glair with regular attacks which often results in a KO for them.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
shield the glide attack and try to punish with a nair out of shield or a shield grab... i think maybe if you retreat a fair, it may beat the glide attack... i'm not really sure on either of these, but it's all i could come up with in my head. if those don't work, you can probably just run away and bait it into a running pivot pk fire... ehh that's all i got for now

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I run towards and below the opponent, then send a pkt, because once i get in the right position, all i have to do is direct it towards them and i get free hits. if that doesnt work, i hold my shield up, wait and then strike.... if they have a ton of time to just hit my shield, i wont bother and just grab or nair OoS after they hit my shield, but if they are in front of me I'll retreat a fair, before they are able to get in range o' course.... other than that, run away!!!

It all depends on the situation you are in, but normally pkt from safe distance or area....

EDIT: @Xoxokev: You read my mind!!! at least about the nair OoS and grab part.... and fair..... those work for me sometimes....

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I just had a quick question. Has anyone found out how to make the yoyo stay out? I did it way back when brawl first came out. It wasnt in a hitbox animation, but it was just like it was left out and he forgot to wind it up again (lol) So... just askin.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think you need to get hit by a projectile when you have your Yo-yo out. You could probably find it on YouTube.

Uffe

Smash Hero
How do you deal with campy opponents? I'm not talking about Olimar here. I'm talking about Snake and Spamus. Matches shouldn't last up to 5 - 9 minutes. Sorry.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
How do you deal with campy opponents? I'm not talking about Olimar here. I'm talking about Snake and Spamus. Matches shouldn't last up to 5 - 9 minutes. Sorry.
be aggressive, get in their face, don't give them time to spam anything... most importantly, play smart

Uffe

Smash Hero
What's the general consensus about the IC matchup? I need help with that more than anything.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. But if I read this correctly, it's even or slightly in their favor. At least that's what it is according to the IC boards. If you're asking about how you can deal with them, I might be able to give some advice.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah some advice would be awesome. lol
I can usually approach safely enough with a F-air into a rising N-air to get away but it didn't seem to work.

Top Bottom