• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, I honestly don't think Ness' Bat will do much but reflect one projectile as I've dealt with this sort of thing before. The thing is, I'm having to relearn this whole game again seeing I haven't played for about four or so months and picked up some bad habits along the way.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
yeah, but i can normally judge just right for when to use the bat.... i don't know! it will be more clear of what you would need to work on when you start playing again. basically the only thing i can contribute is that every attack can and should be used at least once per match, some weighing more heavily than others (fair should be used many more times than dair, or psi magnet (lolz) should be used more than pkfire... waitwut?!?!). you are the one who must determine when each attack is most useful and in which way to have it used during a game you are playing against others. people can truly only give suggestions as to what is best, but eventually you will define how you play.

A few suggestions from myself:
#1: learn to EFFECTIVELY spam PSI magnet.
#2: get a feel for all of the attacks again (proper spacing, when an attack will most likely kill a person, which way to make pkt go to have pkt2 go the exact trajectory you want, ATs, etc.)
#3: play other ness mains (irl or wifi) and pay close attention to how they play and where they beat you out, then try incorporating what they do. mastering your opponent is how you master yourself.
#4: AFTER ALL THE OTHERS, (maybe joking about psimag, but you can if you want to) try and change at least one thing, if possible, about how you play, but ensure that it will do more help than harm before going all out with it. being unique will ensure that you keep an extra mindgame ahead of your opponent.

EDIT: my post # is the same as the number of degrees from adding up all the angles in a quadrilateral OR from a full rotation

and by effective spamming of psimagnet, there is really no way for me to explain exactly how, because i can't explain... there are so many different aspects involved in it that it would just confuse everyone and not help at all... maybe i should start a thread about that... or ask Ref/EB360 to add some info to their psimagnet sections... althouggh it still wouldnt help. basically you have to get a feel for absolutely everything involving psi magnet, even using the wind at the absolute right time to push your opponent just far back enough to not get hit, and try to see where you can slip it in... speaking of PSI magnet wind, NEVER use it against marth... or ganon.... maybe not snake... or DK.... or a projectile (notice wind; not talking of not absorbing attacks that you can, because you should).... yeah, just get a feel for it and the ranges of other characters' attacks.

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
Psimag has many more uses than one can imagine... Good use of moving a little bit from side to side and halting some vertical movement, absorbing (will get 100% of the time with knowledge of how it works), psi magnet shove will make those with shorter range miss and you get some followup, and epic ledge maneuvers. If you can time perfectly, you will be able to shove someone in helpless falling state away from grabbing the ledge and grab the ledge before your opponent, causin epic gimp. I have yet to do this but in theory it will work on everyone really well. Watching me play when I'm on my game is the best example of how to use psi magnet, but not ness overall, because I will make many mistakes.
ooooh ok i get it. is there nothing that can be done about falco cg-spike cept dnt get grabbed :/

TheVince

Smash Apprentice
All you can do is just not get grabbed >_<

Or take damage early so that the CG can't work (~50% and the CG doesn't work I think)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think it stops at 40% if I recall correctly, which isn't too bad. If you're still getting CG'd after that, then that's your fault. That's not specifically towards you, TheVince, the player in general.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
All you can do is just not get grabbed >_<

Or take damage early so that the CG can't work (~40% and the CG doesn't work I think)
fixed

this

10 of these!

its 40, but im not sure why... its either you can airdodge or nair, but i always go with nair because they could just wait and then grab if you airdodge.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I used to think it was possible to escape the CG with Ness. I guess the person I was playing kept doing it wrong. I'd jump on his head or air dodge.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Sonic the Bedhog? Do you fear him now? I remember I did for a long time until that one day I beat a Sonic. This character in my opinion is quite rare to come across. All your aerials > his, I'm sure. A good Sonic likes to feint his attacks. In case you have no idea what that is, feinting is when he turns into his ball form, doesn't move and waits to see how you'll react to it. If you react to it, which that's what they want you to do, then they're already in your head.

Don't be afraid to rush Sonic. If he feints, don't fear it, just go and attack him. Don't stand in one place blocking, spot dodging or using PKF or your Yo-yo. They want you to do that, because if they have you do that, then they'll punish you for it. Hopefully my friend can get a lot better with Sonic so I can get used to this match up a lot quicker. Anyway, back to the point.

If Sonic can get you to block, he'll attempt to grab you when you do so. I remember a long time ago I found myself doing that against Tenki's Sonic. He'd just grab me, u-throw, etc. His f-smash is short ranged, but it's powerful, so do your best to avoid getting hit by that. His bair and uair are also great for killing as well. So I can actually try and help you further, what problems did you have when you fought Sonic?

TheVince

Smash Apprentice
I think it stops at 40%.
If it only goes to 40%.... why is everyone so worried? That is just 4-5 grabs, assuming the falco starts grabbing you at 0%. (Which they probably wont since they will probably be SHDL camping...). Just stay towards the middle of the stage ...=S.

MrsSaturnandWatch

Smash Journeyman
Problems are just apporaching x_x
They always feint (lol) wait for me to do something, then it begins. Played Wes' Sonic (best sonic in NY ._.) and most game he won. It's not to say I didn't win some. But ugh >__<
Then played Boku's Sonic (wifiz) and it still gives me problems! :(

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Problems are just apporaching x_x
They always feint (lol) wait for me to do something, then it begins. Played Wes' Sonic (best sonic in NY ._.) and most game he won. It's not to say I didn't win some. But ugh >__<
Then played Boku's Sonic (wifiz) and it still gives me problems! :(
Nair... Just keep doing it.

you should come closer to beating wes and boku.

If it's not getting you to closer matches then you should just give up and let sonic win

Dashing up smash instead of grab

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yeah, that feinting got to me, too. But fair and nair should do the trick. D-tilt also stops his spinning. Don't stop when he does that and don't let Sonic win. ):< Watch some videos if you have to.

MrsSaturnandWatch

Smash Journeyman
Nair... Just keep doing it.

you should come closer to beating wes and boku.

If it's not getting you to closer matches then you should just give up and let sonic win

Dashing up smash instead of grab

Your not Dire! You can't tell me to quit! xD

i'll see where this advice takes me

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Uffeeeeeee:
Here's what you can do.
Play me.

Oh yeah, I was losing to this sonic once, then I just jumped and pressed a, and I won.
For real, Nair beats all of sonic's moves. Like not even clank.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Is it just me, or does it seem that many Ness mains when they want to switch up characters choose Diddy.
Is it because of.... the hat perhaps? lol

Uffe

Smash Hero
It probably has something to do with the way he works. If I were to switch from Ness, I'd probably use Lucas, Wario or Marth.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
If I were to switch from ness, I would use Kirby for the aerial stuff and combo stuffs...
I personally dont like diddy... I like playing against a diddy because it gives me a few awesome combos from djc'ing bananas. Djc banana throw to usmash = win!!! If I were to throw it up at someone on a platform, would they trip? If so I would get a free uncharged pkflash to an aerial... People often don't expect it... It's awesome to pkflash then upair someone for the kill.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
should i make a gradually updating "guide" to PSI Magnet? I feel like people know basically the ideas of it, but very few people incorporate it often in matches where it could make the difference... it would be a "guide" by the way I would try to show you how you can use it in different situations... there's a way to properly absorb or use PSI Magnet wind in every situation, but most of them are really situational, unless you can tell what you're opponent is most likely to do... It'll be a very rough "guide" at anything, because I don't have a lot of stuff at my disposal to explain exactly everything... I want people to try and do what I keep narrowly failing at doing, but I can't expect them to know what I'm trying to push across without some in-depth thing. I'll include some great possible uses for team stuff as well...

mindgames will be at you're disposal...

Edit: @Uffe: ... im pretty sure you mean stalling yourself in the air, but thats only one minor use that i've been able to use effectively in matches with people... okay, maybe a couple of things are much more situational than others, but once practiced or looked into they become more practical... what i was trying to get at was a general guide for more in depth uses of the magnet, since it is thought of as being only useful for absorbing and nothing else... I've got techniques to ensure that you absorb something safely, uses for the wind in 1v1s and 2v2s, applying those uses, and some other random things that you can do with the magnet, as well as prefered techniques and tips for when/how to spam psimagnet effectively.... a lot of what i do is digging deeper, finding what i could use (x) for to help me in any way... taking something and being told "use (x) for this!" is one of the things that doesn't fit me... i don't know why, but it is... just memorizing random facts for the sake of memorizing them doesn't really benefit me in any way other than knowing a fact, but applying and deciphering those facts as well as finding multiple applications for those facts are what i consider my forte.... /randomness of my erratic mind....

Uffe

Smash Hero
Just adopt Fox's Shine and you're good to go. That's the only thing I see it being useful for other than absorbing.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I need some help against Ness, I main Jiggz and she dies early so I need to learn some DI, but I'd like to know where to DI when you are hit by Ness's baseball bat? I am always baited to spotdodge and the hit by it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You should be the one baiting. For Ness' Bat, probably DI upward. I don't really know much about Jigglypuff, so I can't really say much.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I need some help against Ness, I main Jiggz and she dies early so I need to learn some DI, but I'd like to know where to DI when you are hit by Ness's baseball bat? I am always baited to spotdodge and the hit by it.
If you're playing :jigglypuff:, that bat shouldn't even be touching you. :laugh: Stay aerial. That's where Jigglypuff shines. The only problem I find with this personally is getting past Ness' forward air because it's so disjointed... Play carefully and make use of Jigglypuff's superior aerial mobility. She trumps Ness offstage in my opinion.

If the bat strikes, DI up and towards Ness. So if you're positioned like this...

:ness2: --> :jigglypuff:

... you would want to DI left and upwards. DI...ing upwards I think positions you near the corners of the blastzones, and since the outer boundaries of stages are in the shape of a rectangle, it'll let you live longer.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Does anyone know the Pokeman trainer match up? I can't find it in the match up thread.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Squirtle 65:35, which is lol worthy. He doesn't even give Ness as much of a hard time as Marth.
Ivysaur 55:45
Chariard 60:40
Overall: 60:40. I still don't think this match up is that difficult. My opinion would be Squirtle 60:40, Ivysaur 50:50 and Charizard 55:45. And that's in all of their favor by the way.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I'd give it a:
55:45 vs. ivy (us)
45:55 vs. squirtle (them)
60:40 vs. charizard (them)
The fact that we can punish their switches so bad is big too.
I'd say overall it's 55:45 Pokemon Trainer's advantage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you're playing :jigglypuff:, that bat shouldn't even be touching you. :laugh: Stay aerial. That's where Jigglypuff shines. The only problem I find with this personally is getting past Ness' forward air because it's so disjointed... Play carefully and make use of Jigglypuff's superior aerial mobility. She trumps Ness offstage in my opinion.

If the bat strikes, DI up and towards Ness. So if you're positioned like this...

:ness2: --> :jigglypuff:

... you would want to DI left and upwards. DI...ing upwards I think positions you near the corners of the blastzones, and since the outer boundaries of stages are in the shape of a rectangle, it'll let you live longer.
Thank you, I know that I shouldn't be hit by it and I am in air almost always. The problem is that I have to recharge my jumps and that Ness's fair is scary against puff.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ivy is much easier than squirtle, but then again squirtle is easy, especially for his upb recovery (IMO), but his aerials can be annoying. Charizard is annoying to me, just because he has great range, is difficult to get at, and his sideb and smashes really annoy me... almost never do i see someone going for the grab release chain. again 55:45 them overall, but that is factoring a ton of things...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey users. I just want to know about this video here showing a Yo-Yo Spike. (I'm betting most of you have seen this):

The Yo-Yo Spike

Does anyone here know how to do this on the spot? Or is it pure luck and is it purely a stage spike? (Also I guess you'd have to hope your challenger isn't wise enough to not hang on the edge that long)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've done that recently and nearly done it a few times today. You have to dash and charge your Yo-yo right before it goes off the stage. It's a bit risky and difficult to do with characters that have projectile.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I've done that recently and nearly done it a few times today. You have to dash and charge your Yo-yo right before it goes off the stage. It's a bit risky and difficult to do with characters that have projectile.
See I've done it before I just don't understand how that works. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Also I can only get it to happen on FD.

You seem like a very well-played Ness (from my lurking haha), so I was wondering if it's luck, skill or IMPOSSIBLE on other stages.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's possible on any stage. It just has more usefulness on certain stages. If you're on Onett, there is no point trying it because they're not going anywhere. It's not luck, though. Than again I don't believe in luck. It just has to be well timed. If your opponent hangs out on the edge, you can spike him. If he is returning to that edge, you might be able to spike him. It's just rather difficult.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
It's possible on any stage. It just has more usefulness on certain stages. If you're on Onett, there is no point trying it because they're not going anywhere. It's not luck, though. Than again I don't believe in luck. It just has to be well timed. If your opponent hangs out on the edge, you can spike him. If he is returning to that edge, you might be able to spike him. It's just rather difficult.
Thank you that was very helpful...sorry one more question. Pit using his shield. I know how to use the Magnet Pull for Lucas to try to minimize the chance of being PK Thunder reflected but, what about Ness? Is there a good way to make sure even Pit's shield won't reflect you?

I've tried to hit the edge to grab it but even that seems pointless as Pit can just fast fall and use it anytime he wants. Help, tips?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Pit is somewhat difficult. His edge guarding with his Mirror Shield cannot be dealt with, however. Depending on where you are off the stage will determine whether or not you'll make it back. Let me make a picture.

You can make it back if you're below stage level, but it might be tougher. You should always save your second jump and if you must, use your PSI Magnet to slow yourself down as seen here.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thank you so much. I didn't mean to make you make a picture. So basically it's just really tricky if you have used the second jump huh. I knew the Magnet to slow your momentum and thank you again!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well the PSI Magnet doesn't slow your momentum down. It only slows the falling rate down. And don't worry about it. I'll be back later.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Psi magnet halts vertical momentum only... I use that fact to my advantage. I've never been able to perform the yoyo spike, but I've hit people with the hangin yoyo chrging up hitboxes... Do you want to hit with the higher knockback hitbox only/also, or is there something diffrent? Also, when I did do it perfectly the opponent seemed to be able to di away from the ledge to avoid the stage spike, so it seems to me to be somewhat luck based, because the opponent should be able to di out of it...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Psi magnet halts vertical momentum only... I use that fact to my advantage. I've never been able to perform the yoyo spike, but I've hit people with the hangin yoyo chrging up hitboxes... Do you want to hit with the higher knockback hitbox only/also, or is there something diffrent? Also, when I did do it perfectly the opponent seemed to be able to di away from the ledge to avoid the stage spike, so it seems to me to be somewhat luck based, because the opponent should be able to di out of it...
Honestly, I just did it myself using what Uffe said about 3 min ago and it KO'd Falco and he had 17% damage. He just shot straight down for me...and when I mean straight down I REALLY mean it. It was pretty fast.

I don't think it's luck based anymore it just needs really good timing. Still though anyone who hangs on the ledge that long is kind of asking for it. You'd best hope they hang there for a full second. (I think)

Top Bottom