• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well Ref, the dtilt if used quickly enough will almost always clank with the spin. It works for me sincec dtilt is basically a never ending attack, and equal in priority to the spins, Sonic will have to resort to not directly hitting you with the spin attacks. It doesnt completely shut him down yes, but it's not a "suck"-ish option.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
D tilt should be your last option in stopping his rolling attacks.

Levitas

the moon
Deciding to break your own shield should be your last option, although it would guarantee that you don't get hit by a spin attack waaaay better than using pk flash would.

Edit: SDing continuously is a worse option, though you'll keep your invincibility long enough to avoid all attacks.

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain why sometimes, when recovering with pk missile, you can bounce off of the edge instead of grabbing it? Is it techable?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It's not techable, was it on the right side? The right side is a bad place for Ness to recover from. Or if you are too high and bounce into the ledge from such a high angle, you'll bounce off.

Just aim better when recovering from the right side, and lower if it is happening to you in other places.

Jtails

Smash Lord
also dont be holding down on your control stick, this will cause your recovery not to grab the edge with any character.

i think its called snap cancelling?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Hm I was actually wondering about this earlier.
Does anyone know if Pk Fires' pillar refreshes your 10 hit gauge (don't recall the term)

situational ex: B throw doesn't kill, pk pillar, pk pillar and some d tilts etc. B throw would be refreshed?

Not that Pk fire's pillar is that useful in tourneys, just curious lol

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'm pretty sure Pk fire is 1 move no matter how many times the Pillar hits. D tilting someone in Pk fire doesn't work... They will escape too fast.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Any multihit move will only count once, like Shiek's needles and ZSS's U-B.

Edit: xoxokev's post made previous grammar look odd.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I figured, what about if say, you hit them for 1 second, they get out and somehow they get hit again by the last few seconds of the pillar.

(Only reason I'm asking is since in a previous thread, it said if you Grabbed, and pummeled someone at a certain speed, it would count as separate hits)

Oh and the D tilt thing wasnt meant while the enemy was in pk fire. I meant just using their hits to refresh etc

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
D tilt is good for refreshing moves. But you have to get pretty close to do it. If you find something destructible D tilt it to refresh your moves, example: D tilt Wario's bike.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
But dont do that in reality. Wario's bike should be left alone for the chance of gimping. Luigi's Mansion pillars however are infinite punching bags :bee:

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Luigi's mansion is banned. And a few D tilts into the bike wouldn't hurt...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
True but that stage was bound to be used to stall on. Apparently Norfair is going to be banned soon due to stalling/excessive camping...

Uffe

Smash Hero
True but that stage was bound to be used to stall on. Apparently Norfair is going to be banned soon due to stalling/excessive camping...
I find that lame. The stage isn't all that big anyway. And people really need to stop camping. That's very annoying.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
A fully charged PK flash leads to a jab, d tilt or Up tilt. Other than that, brawl has so little hit stun most true combos are too small to really be important, or can just be DI'd out of.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Are there any true combos/setups involving PK flash?
Probably just grab > u-throw > PK Flash. I'm not sure if that can be truly useful since it is somewhat slow. It's possibly good for a scare tactic if you do what I wrote in my first sentence. PK Flash is good for edge guarding and killing people who feel the need to dair you. It's especially useful to use it near you unless you're fighting Peach, Pit, Fox, Falco and/or Wolf. They can just reflect it back to you. Never use it on Ness or Lucas, though, since they can just absorb it. Another handy thing with PK Flash is being under platforms, jumping high enough to use it an Ness will drop to the ground.

You can also wait for your opponent to try and dair you while you're on a platform, go under it and use PK Flash right away to hit them. This is really only useful against certain characters, though.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
The truth is the most you can do to land PK flash is just use it on recoveries and hope you hit. Sure you can try after an up throw but because they are over the stage they will just air dodge normally.

You can use it uncharged to create an umbrella effect to protect your self from aerial attacks.

Uffe seemed to have answered that one better.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Naw it's ok, everybody knows you're a scrub.

I hope you're crying by the time you read this post.

I have a question for Ref, what are Ness' hardest matchups and are there any what you would rate above a 7-3 disadvantage for Ness.

Other question: what are Ness' easier matchups.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Naw it's ok, everybody knows you're a scrub.

I hope you're crying by the time you read this post.

I have a question for Ref, what are Ness' hardest matchups and are there any what you would rate above a 7-3 disadvantage for Ness.

Other question: what are Ness' easier matchups.
D: That hurt. I'm going to cry now. *cries*

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Never use it on Ness or Lucas, though, since they can just absorb it.
Foolish one :laugh:. You can mindgame them like crazy with this (especially in a Ness ditto due to the laggy magnet).

Just kidding about the foolish part. Not using it is also wise.

;)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Sage the hardest Ness match up is the one you concern yourself most with... Personally I find Marth to be hard up to about 60-40 or 65-35. G&W is pretty tough but once you learn the match up you'll be fine... Match up will be about 60-40 G&W.

The reason Marth is difficult is jump break to F air, ground release to smash. Both get me annoyed, I can bare it though. Not landing U airs because of his sword is a minus Ness in this match up. All I can do is abuse my range, and not use attacks without much range. No more d airs to N airs or U airs or even B airs. So this match up really leaves me to 3 very situational aerials and 2 that I have to space well and time properly... Still very playable however

G&W is just funny but his range on his attacks are equal if not slightly better than Ness'. However I'm not as disarmed as I am against Marth. It takes a long time to learn his hit boxes though, that is what makes it difficult.

And sage is right PK flash hits 38.

But in all seriousness, the hardest match up is Bowser... 70-30 Bowser. He has range strength and coolness. Without pk fire and if the bowser is really good you'll have a lot of problems.. His B air can completely danger your recovery with it's strength, his F air is quick and has really long range. His U air will KO you at very early percents. Fire breathe destroys your recovery if used right. Fortress out of shield grab release to powerful tilts and specials. This match up is truly one sided... If you win, it was WiFi or you just got some good pk fire to bats in. That or the Bowser sucks.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You are lying offline Bowser can get out of pk fire you can't stack more than 1 PK fire on any heavy character offline... Bowser is Ness' hardest match up I'm not joking Bowser is hard.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I'm not seeing how Bowser has advantage over Ness, Ref. Ness has pk thunder. I'm just not seeing it.

By the way, pk fire -> bat should only work on Bowser if you land pk fire at point blank range and Bowser is suspended in the air. It isn't something I'd count on.

I mean, I don't agree with Game & Watch having advantage over Ness either, but I can see where you are coming from there. I don't see it all for Bowser.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Bowser has fire breathe... Listing projectiles won't change my ideas... G&W Can become a neutral match up I put it 60-40 because tons of Ness' struggle learning the match up of G&W.

Tell me somethings Ness has on Bowser.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Well I think pk thunder is a pretty big deal versus Bowser. He's a big target. It makes him have to approach you. It's good at juggling him in the air. He's easy to shield stab both with pk thunder 1 and 2. Fire breathe is a situational edge guard that rarely matters. Pk thunder is a move that defines the match up. I think you overrate his aerials as well... up air isn't a move he lands very often.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
PK thunder can easily be fanned... And yes shield stab-able but he could always fan it as for PK thunder 2, spot dodge...

As for the U air, maybe I do but it's still land able.

Top Bottom