• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishin

Smash Ace
It happened in Smashville. The CPU was near the ledge but the shield knockback didn't push him off or anything. It's as if the CPU DI'd downwards on the perfect shield knockback. It hit the shield at the tip of the Punch. And now that you mention it... I don't remember seeing a CPU dash either.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
It happened in Smashville. The CPU was near the ledge but the shield knockback didn't push him off or anything. It's as if the CPU DI'd downwards on the perfect shield knockback. It hit the shield at the tip of the Punch. And now that you mention it... I don't remember seeing a CPU dash either.
I believe the trip occurs on the first frame of a dash, then at determinate lengths, so it's like they just fall.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Hmmmm... Well, I still have the replay. I could send it to someone to record and upload on Youtube so that may perhaps help explain it a bit.

Zekirra

Smash Rookie
I have a question...I don't know if anyone's asked or explained this already, but since I'm new to forums I can't seem to navigate around the pages. Anyways...sometimes when playing online, some people (for comedic effect) run towards the edge of a stage, and once on the very edge, they keep running in place and almost in slow motion without toppling or running off the edge. How do they do that, and what is happening?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Sounds like lag to me...that's not something I'm aware of. It could just be the toppling animation when you stand on the edge...even though you said that's not what it is.

EDIT: Please read the next post for the real answer.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I have a question...I don't know if anyone's asked or explained this already, but since I'm new to forums I can't seem to navigate around the pages. Anyways...sometimes when playing online, some people (for comedic effect) run towards the edge of a stage, and once on the very edge, they keep running in place and almost in slow motion without toppling or running off the edge. How do they do that, and what is happening?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7KxjfbiUE

"Originally Posted by Jigglymaster
Well you can do this with any character on any ledge. Basically if you tilt the control stick a little bit down but not too far to crouch your character will run slower. However if you do that on the ledge, you will keep running on the ledge in place."

Taken from the Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches thread.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me how extending hitboxes works. I know it has something to do with hitting a solid object like the pillars in Luigis Mansion but does it really extend the hitbox to the pillar. To me it just seems like the hitbox is prolonged and so when people think the hitbox is gone, they approach and get hit by the prolonged hitbox.
And can all moves gain the extended hitbox or just certain ones. Ive heard a lot about the extended hibox of Warios Fsmash but I was wondering why people arent saying anything about extending other characters hitboxs.

EDIT: Another question: Are the blast zones on Brinstar all small or just the side/top ones?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If an attack hits something, it goes through "hitlag" (see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409 for more details), during which, the animation is held still for a number of frames (including the hitbox). If you hit something like a pillar, you'll put your attack in hitlag, making the active frames last longer than normal. The actual area the hitbox covers remains the same.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Can someone please explain to me the definition of Spacing and how you can learn and practice it. Right now, my main is DDD, but alot of pro's are telling me to learn how to play with Marth, so that i also have to learn how to space properly. But i'm not sure what spacing exactly is. I've heard different things it makes me confused. From what i've heard Spacing is using a move but space yourself and your opponent so your move hits while your opponent can't hit you with an attack. Is that spacing? And how do you practice it?

I hope you guys can help me out :p

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Can someone please explain to me the definition of Spacing and how you can learn and practice it. Right now, my main is DDD, but alot of pro's are telling me to learn how to play with Marth, so that i also have to learn how to space properly. But i'm not sure what spacing exactly is. I've heard different things it makes me confused. From what i've heard Spacing is using a move but space yourself and your opponent so your move hits while your opponent can't hit you with an attack. Is that spacing? And how do you practice it?

I hope you guys can help me out :p
Spacing is just that, appropriate space between you and your opponent in which you can attack safetly and pressure them. With Marth it's super essential, that's why they recommend it. However, it can be done with anyone. DeDeDe's FTilt poke keeps his spacing great and himself safe. Practice it, it'll come naturally. Best way to do it is always go in with the goal to hit with the tip of your attacks.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
After watching a lot of footage from recent big tournaments and watching the pros play, I have become very aware of my horrible DI, does anyone have any tips on how to improve my DI so that I don't get killed very easily on a hit that most people could DI out of, I see myself dying very quickly and can notice that it was avoidable. Please note that I can't get to a practice partner a lot and have to work independently on improving stuff like this.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
After watching a lot of footage from recent big tournaments and watching the pros play, I have become very aware of my horrible DI, does anyone have any tips on how to improve my DI so that I don't get killed very easily on a hit that most people could DI out of, I see myself dying very quickly and can notice that it was avoidable. Please note that I can't get to a practice partner a lot and have to work independently on improving stuff like this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969
Very good - and long - guide.

The very basic idea is that you want to go towards the corners. It takes more distance to die off the corners (I should probably say top corners), so you'll live longer if you DI towards them. So basically, if you're sent left or right, DI up. If you're sent up, DI left or right. It's very situational on where you're sent and whatnot, it takes a lot of practice to really get the hang of it.
Then there's momentum canceling and SDI. Just read the guide :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg
This is also helpful, gives a good visual.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
shield > platform drop from shield > aerial that raises your bottom (so you don't fall through the platform) > autocancel before aerial comes out > whatever you want.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I am currently maining Bowser, the problem is I dunno what to do now. My moves are predictable and I don't know how to get rid of that, my shielding sucks, Its part of my routine, but the timing needed to powershield is a pain for me, especially if its a laggy fight.

I need some advice so I can become a stronger Bowser.

ndayday

BRoomer
Luckily for you, there is a whole section devoted to Bowser. Check it out:

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Read any guides that are up, and ask any questions you have about him there. Just of the top of my head, I'll tell you that Bowser's OoS options are really good, so it would be best to get used to using your shield correctly. Good luck!

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Luckily for you, there is a whole section devoted to Bowser. Check it out:

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Read any guides that are up, and ask any questions you have about him there. Just of the top of my head, I'll tell you that Bowser's OoS options are really good, so it would be best to get used to using your shield correctly. Good luck!
I am using my shield regularly, I use it in every match. I still get punished despite this.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Interuptable As Soon As (abbrv. IASA) is typically a frame number that says when at attack is actually done. The animation for an attack actually typically will go longer than this frame if you let it, but you can do whatever you want at or after that frame. Note that some characters cannot IASA whatever landing they have next after using a recovery move.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
im going to this tourney too, but i dont know, you should ask in the Battle for Western new York thread thats up in the tourney section of the boards, the TOs can proly tell you.
That would necro a two year old thread.

Or could you be more specific / directing in what thread you mean?

EDIT: Which I'm asking because I have the same question as the other guy.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Can someone give me a definition of grenade walling?
I asked on the Snake boards but they didnt answer and there was nothing in the stickies about this.

ndayday

BRoomer
Eh, if there is such a thing as grenade walling, then there is honestly no posts I can see besides yours that name such a technique. Perhaps you have the name wrong, because there were only like two threads with the term in them: this one and the Snake Q&A. (The two threads you posted the name in) I'm not calling you a liar, since for all I know it could be some technique that is really amazing.

I'm going to act like a search engine here and suggest;

Did you mean grenade stripping?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
No, I know what grenade stripping is. Its definitely not that.

Anyways, I was to do something that resembles grenade walling today in training mode. Its where a you down throw a grenade that you shield dropped and picked up. You then shield drop a second grenade immediately after (the first grenade should stop on the way up and start falling like when you grenade strip)

The first grenade explodes at around the same height as Snakes chest. Its low enough to the ground that it makes the second grenade on the floor explode too. It creates like a wall as high as Snake thats hard to get around. If you roll to shield drop the second grenade, you can do the Nair where you land with no lag (where you jump twice in row quickly and then Nair; dont know the official name :ohwell:) above the explosions so that the opponent cant jump over. Characters with no projectiles will have trouble getting around this.

The thing is it only works on flat ground when there arent any platforms above you (well you might be able to do it levels with lower platforms like on Yoshis Island when the PF is tilted but I havent tested this)

Is there another name for this then or does it even have a specific name?

ndayday

BRoomer
You just answered your first question I think, but I'm a bit confused because you said this:

that resembles grenade walling
You then go on to explain what I assume is something like nade walling. (Or is that the definition of it?) Did you think of this yourself, or have you actually seen it discussed and used before? Ask in the Q&A if anyone knows about this, and ask if it has a name. Try to be patient, and if no one answers ask a mod there. :)

I have no idea, I'm sure that someone will answer your question in the Snake Q&A. Sorry I can't help. It may just be that this isn't really a technique, but just a little more then a practical application for grenades. (hence, it may not have/need a name)

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
2 questions,

If i miss a upsmash or watever does it stale? or do moves only stale when they hit the opponent.

2nd, when you smash DI when is the right time to smash the joystick, when the move hits you, or when your about to be hit?

ndayday

BRoomer
2 questions,

If i miss a upsmash or watever does it stale? or do moves only stale when they hit the opponent.

2nd, when you smash DI when is the right time to smash the joystick, when the move hits you, or when your about to be hit?
No, shielded/missed moves do not stale.

You enter the commands during hitlag, which is the very beginning of when the move hits. The window is very small in most attacks, but it is pretty large in moves like Zelda's Fair/Bair, or C. Falcon's knee.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah I said it resembles nade walling cause I wasnt sure if its the same thing. It creates a wall of grenades but the person who I overheard saying 'nade walling' couldve been talking about something else. Anyways, I thought of this myself but I wasnt sure if its what they actually meant when they say nade walling. Ill actually see them tomorrow so Ill ask them and get back to you.

EDIT: I see what mayve confused you. I don know what grenade walling is. I dont know if it resembles grenade walling cause I dont know what it is. What I meant by 'resembles' was that it couldve been what they were talking about because it looks like a grenade wall.
Anyways, when I asked them, they said they were talking about something else and used a name they made up. Which means what I found out could be something new. Ill go ask the Snake boards. Thanks for the help though.

ndayday

BRoomer
Some character boards have such threads, but the only thread I was able to find is from nearly a year ago. (9 months, to be exact) So no, there is no official, active thread I know of that discusses 2vs2/doubles in the Tactical or GBD boards.

This one is kinda good though, I guess...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226795

If someone finds this to be wrong, please correct me.

And ok, Belliloes.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
I really like technical characters but I always wondered who are the top 5 heavy technical characters in Brawl? This has been on my mind for sometime I think Diddy is but after seeing Drk.Pch's Peach playing around with his Peach like that I don't who is the most technical character in the game now.

Thanks for reading.

ndayday

BRoomer
Eh, I wouldn't really say Peach. She can glidetoss and do a lot of stuff with float/turnips, but she really isn't too technical compared to these guys.

-Link
-Diddy
-Sonic
-Ice Climbers
-Lucas or Pit, fuzzy area

polyopulis

Smash Cadet
I really like technical characters but I always wondered who are the top 5 heavy technical characters in Brawl? This has been on my mind for sometime I think Diddy is but after seeing Drk.Pch's Peach playing around with his Peach like that I don't who is the most technical character in the game now.

Thanks for reading.
what about ZSS?

my questions
what controls do pros use/you use/are the easiest to use/allow you to do most things

SH or jump: analog up or X/Y?
aerials: A+analog or cstick?
smashes: A+analog or cstick?
grab: R/L+A or Z?

like, how do you do a SHFF Uair?

the answer i think is all at some time or another but what situations do you use one or the other?

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
what about ZSS?

my questions
what controls do pros use/you use/are the easiest to use/allow you to do most things

SH or jump: analog up or X/Y?
aerials: A+analog or cstick?
smashes: A+analog or cstick?
grab: R/L+A or Z?

like, how do you do a SHFF Uair?

the answer i think is all at some time or another but what situations do you use one or the other?
Zero Suit Samus is a technical character too? I'll have to try her out for a few.

I hear Y is the best method for executing a short hop quickly.
For aerials it depends when I want to perform and autocanceled aerial I button slide so I can do it super quickly.
I find using the C-stick for smashing if you want to charge your smash use C-stick and Z at the same time.
For grabbing I find R/L+A more useful than pressing Z I heard that was a great habit to do.

Well to SHFF Uair I do X then flick the c-stick up while pressing down when I see the animation of my character.

@NAKEDeDeDe
Wow thanks man I never knew Sonic was a technical character I'm gonna check him out now.

Oh yeah was that list in order from most the most heaviest to the least heaviest technical character?

ndayday

BRoomer
Really, everything comes to preferances when it comes to control setup, as well as what works for your character the best. An example would be setting a shield button to attack so you can boost smash.

You do SHFF'd Uairs by short hopping, doing the Uair, and then immediatly holding down, like you're fast falling. You want to use fast-falled attacks whenever that is the best option, sometimes just a Uair can take care of the problem, although generally you want to get to the ground fast, so you SHFF. It can be easier if you have aerials set to C-stick, as you can just smash up on the C-stick and smash down on the control stick. The same applies for every attack, that's why when you do Dairs with certain characters of the stage you never hold down the control stick and instead just enter the command for Dair.

The list was basically from the most technical to the least technical out of all those. And ZSS isn't that technical compared to the rest of those, but hey, the character you use is ultimately your preferance.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
My Controls (skeik/zelda/snake primarily and any1 rly):

~tap jump off
~left bumper (or w/e one you dont use to shield)=atk; this allows for the harder dacus's like sheik

Thats it rly. This setup allows for good versitility w/o accidently jumping when you ment to DI or w/e. I like having x/y both set to jump, because X is naturally easier for me to use, and to nAir I can press Y and A with my thumb.

~w/ike etc. it can be usufull to change c-stick to special: this allows for raring certain atks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom