• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Math Help?

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
"A doctor interviewing a female patient asks her the ages of her three children. She tells him
that the product of the three children’s ages is 36. The doctor says he needs to know more so
the patient says that the sum of the ages is equal to the number of the house next door. The
doctor runs outside and returns. He is exasperated and says that he needs more information.
The conversation continues, with the woman saying that she thought he was a smart doctor
but she is beginning to change her mind. She also tells him that she is in a hurry because she
must take her oldest child to her violin lesson. The doctor jumps up and claims he knows the
ages of the children. What are they?"

Don't understand...seriously. abc = 36, are the only numbers your given.

EDIT: I solved it, I'll leave it up here for anyone who wants to try it.

cutter

Smash Champion
I managed to do quite well in calculus when I took it last year because I had a very solid understanding of all the previous fundamentals of math before I took it. If you are quite comfortable at doing virtually any algebraic problem and understanding fundamentals like trig identities, calculus won't be as hard as you think.

I pretty much agree with what POKE40 said. Some problems like integrating even powered trig equations are a huge pain the *** because of all the steps required to integrate it.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
what is the probability that someone will have the matching birthdays in a room with 30 people?
I don't know if anyone answered you or even if you still need the answer, but for a group of 30 people it's about 70%

Assume the total combination of people having overlapping birthdays is the sample space meaning all possibilities of no one having a birthday from everyone having a birthday is 100% or 1

so to get the probability that at least 2 people will have the same birthday is you subtract the possibility that no one has a birthday from the total (1)

To get that value you first calculate the probability that no one has the same birthday:

first person having the same birthday as themselves: 100% or 1 (here I'll denote it as 365/365; it'll be useful later)

second person not having a birthday with the first: 364/365
third person not having the same birthday as the second and first: 363/365
fourth person not having the same birthday as the others: 362/365
thirtieth person not having the same day as the others 335/365

now the probability that none of these people have the same birthday is all these values multiplies together:
(365*364*362*361*360***335)/(365^30)

that yields ~.3

so the probablility that at least 2 people do have the same birthday is the whole set of posibilities minus the possibility that no one has the same birthday:
1-.3 = .7
-or- ~70%

Velox

Smash Ace
prove Stoke's theorem!!!

on a serious note though, if any of you use MATLAB or Mathematica, I just bought Maple for 100$ and it's totally superior to those other programs if anyone is wondering (not a lot of people know about Maple I think..)

also, math may be the purest degree, but it's overly pure, everything in moderation :D

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Alright guys, I could use some help.

I am having trouble with this problem.
F(x)= -6x^6*x^(1/2)+7/(x^2(x^1/2)
find F'(x)
I start out my problem by separating the two equations(just to keep it clean.)
So h(x)=-6x^6*x^(1/2)
and g(x)= 7/(x^2(x^1/2)
So I start working on h(x)
' of -6x^6 is -36x^5 and ' of x^(1/2) is 1/(2x^(1/2))
So using a'b + b'a I get h'(x)= -36x^5*x^(1/2)-3x^6/(x^(1/2)

then when I get to g'(x). I get confused. Am I supposed to use quotient rule, even though the numerator is a constant? And we aren't supposed to use chain rule yet(thats the next chapter.), so are we supposed to do product rule then? I am just a bit lost. :/

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
why dont you combine powers it simplfies everything (that is, if im reading your problem correctly)

-6x^(13/2)+ 7x^(-5/2)
then

F'(x) = (13/2)(-6)x^(11/2) +(-5/2)(7)x^(-7/2)

note: when you have something like constant/variable^power, you can always write it as constant(variable^-power), and proceed with powerrule from there

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Am I supposed to use quotient rule, even though the numerator is a constant? And we aren't supposed to use chain rule yet(thats the next chapter.), so are we supposed to do product rule then? I am just a bit lost. :/
You learnt the quotient rule before you learnt the chain rule? I learnt it in the other way around hehe.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know any tricks to do proofs in Geometry (the two column kind) real fast. I'm in a Geo Honors class and the teacher must be obsessed with proofs or something, because my whole week of hw comprises of proofs. ITS SO ANNOYING AND BORING!

cF=)

Smash Lord
An infinitely long, uniform rod of mass µ per unit length is situated on the z axis.
a) Calculate the grav. force on a point mass m at a distance p (rho) from the z axis.

I did the EXACT same thing in my electromagnetism class 2 years ago using a charged rod and a charged point particle, yet I'm helpless now as to how to start this problem. Anybody can give me a pointer or a tip on how to write this in cylindrical coordinates?

EDIT: If you have John R. Taylor's classical mechanics book, it's on page 153, #4.24***

cF=)

Smash Lord
I know what's the expression for gravitational attraction between 2 point particles. The mental block I'm having is about integrating a tiny piece of the rod's mass from -infinity to infinity to find the rod's total mass. If I consider my rod to be infinite, then every little force from a non perpendicular angle acting on my point particle should cancel out with the other side of the rod, and here I am again wondering how I can find the rod's mass!

POKE40

Smash Lord
I'm taking Honors Algebra 1.

What all needs to be learned here before taking calculus? :sonic:
Needs to be learned in Algebra 1:
-Graphing
-Finding an equation for a line
-Rise over Run
-Factoring
-Different Properties of Foiling
-Collecting Like terms
-"T-Tables"
-Uhh.... there is more I forgot.

Then you move on to Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry.
Good luck!

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
I know what's the expression for gravitational attraction between 2 point particles. The mental block I'm having is about integrating a tiny piece of the rod's mass from -infinity to infinity to find the rod's total mass. If I consider my rod to be infinite, then every little force from a non perpendicular angle acting on my point particle should cancel out with the other side of the rod, and here I am again wondering how I can find the rod's mass!

would it work if you tried something like this? dm = μdz
that would imply, r = sqrt( z^2 + x^2), or something in terms of cosine,

well dang, good luck with that physics problem. and if you find out the answer can you tell me too?

wool

Smash Ace
2+(1/2) = 5/2
1/(5/2) = 2/5
3+(2/5) = 17/5
1/(17/5)=

5/17

is that the answer idonno it makes sense to me

basically all i am doing is converting the denominator into an improper frac then doing 1/that since thats what the problem is to get a frac then adding the number (2, or 3, depending on what it says) then doing the 1/ again.

idonno if its right

Velox

Smash Ace
I got 2.5/8.5 or 5/17 by getting rid of the complex fractions one at a time, Maple also gives this answer which is pretty convincing lol. Just use wool's method, it's cleaner.

Velox

Smash Ace
I got 2.5/8.5 or 5/17 by getting rid of the complex fractions one at a time, Maple also gives this answer which is pretty convincing lol. Just use wool's method, it's cleaner.

hey, cF, about that physics problem, I'm about to be late for my modern optics class here at school, which I choose to take this semester instead of the mechanics course that I'm sure you've found that problem in, so although I'm probably no sure on how to do it, it seems to me that finding the total mass wouldn't be good because if you applied the inverse square law it would be wrong because the point masses along the rod farther from Ro are going to contribute less gravitational force than just assuming the entire rod is a point mass like you do with planets. I think it goes something like the integral from negative infinity to Ro of the perpendicular component of the gravitational force (you may have to draw this out, look at it geometrically and maybe use a trig substitution on the integral) + the integral of Ro to positive infinity of the perpendicular component of the gravitational force.. That seems like how they're going to do that problem, but like I said, I haven't taken Mechanics yet, all I do is listen to my lab partners b**** about how hard it's supposed to be..

oh, well one more thing, in the integrals, I think it's gunna be Mu dz for the mass you're integrating with (and you're integrating the inverse square law) and then somehow u need to find a way to slip the distance in the integral from the infinitely small length of mass along the z-axis to the object located a distance Ro away from the rod of mass.

Actually no, there's a lot more going into the problem than that, because then you would have just integrated the entire portion of the gravitational force produced by each point mass along 'z'. Well.. I hope I got you started at least lol..

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Needs to be learned in Algebra 1:
-Graphing
-Finding an equation for a line
-Rise over Run
-Factoring
-Different Properties of Foiling
-Collecting Like terms
-"T-Tables"
-Uhh.... there is more I forgot.

Then you move on to Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry.
Good luck!
I'm also learning functions, rate of change, and lots of ******** fractions.

Thanks, just wanna be prepared if I get honors next year. :sonic:

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Question..

Determine whether the graph of the equation is symmetric with respect to the x axis, y axis, and or the origin.
y= 4x^2-3

So I tried testing it for all:
x axis: -y= 4x^2-3 is not equivalent to the original equation

y axis: y= -4x^2-3 is not equivalent to the original equation

origin: -y= -4x^2-3
multiply by (-1) on both sides, gives me y=4x^2+ 3, is not equivalent to the original equation

And the answers are:
A) y axis
B) origin
C) x axis
D) x axis, y axis, origin
E) none

Now, I went with choice E(none) based on my work above, yet the answer key says it's A: y axis. Could it be that there's a mistake with my work or is there an error within the answer key?

Disregard this post, I made the co-efficient negative instead of the x. -x^2= x^2, thus y=4x^2-3 = y=4x^2-3

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
hey cf=)

i thought of something

lets say this: we can turn it into terms of cosine

when its so far away, you can assume theta is 180, and when at its closest point is 90.

so technically, df = MmuG/r dr

r = zcostheta
then
dr= zsintheta d(theta)

integrate from 180 to 90

multiply by 2

* i think this way will give you an answer. im just not sure if i set up the integral for the trig correctly tho *

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh god just looking at this makes me not want to keep taking math

*sees all the horrible and complicated equations in his future*

I dont want to take math anymore

*cries in a corner*

cF=)

Smash Lord
hey cf=)

i thought of something

lets say this: we can turn it into terms of cosine

when its so far away, you can assume theta is 180, and when at its closest point is 90.

so technically, df = MmuG/r dr

r = zcostheta
then
dr= zsintheta d(theta)

integrate from 180 to 90

multiply by 2

* i think this way will give you an answer. im just not sure if i set up the integral for the trig correctly tho *
I didn't read your post yesterday, but I was able to solve this pretty neatly using a couple of identities. Specifically, I was right saying both sides of my infinite rod would cancel out, but I wasn't aware of the intrinsic relationship between rho, z and r. Here's how I solved it:

The following drawing sets up my variables:

And now, here's the magic:

Pretty sure it's good, you could still take a look and tell me if I messed up somewhere :D

Death

Smash Lord
A batter strikes a baseball moving horizontally towards him at 15 m/s. The ball leaves the bat horizontally at 24m/s, 40.0 degrees to the left of a line from the plate to the pitcher. The ball is in contact with the bat for 0.01 s.

a) What is the change in velocity of the ball?

I've set this up with vector components but I keep getting really low values. The answer should be 37 m/s [24.8 degrees left of the pitcher] but I don't know how to solve it.

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
You have to find change in horizontal velocity (Vx) and change in vertical velocity (Vy) separately.

Vx1 = -15 m/s
Vy1 = 0 m/s
Vx2 = 24*cos(40) m/s
Vy2 = 24*sin(40) m/s
Vx = Vx2 - Vx1 = 24*cos(40) m/s + 15 m/s = 33.39 m/s
Vy = Vy2 - Vy1 = 24*sin(40) m/s = 15.43 m/s

The change in velocity would be (Vx^2+Vy^2)^.5 which is about 36.78 m/s.
To get the angle, you just use arctan(Vy/Vx) which is about 24.8 degrees.

I don't think number of seconds in contact matters, since you're looking for the change in velocity, not the rate of change in velocity. Sometimes they throw extra information at you to try to mix you up.

Top Bottom