• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NECROMAFIA | Game Over! Shortest game in Dgames?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Shout outs

Ragnarok: First, keep in mind that when you started your push on me early D1, I was studying for a test and I was going :mad: lol. Anyways, I'm glad we found each other to be town, instead of it going into a distraction like in pulp fiction. Like you, I also pray that you are town because it's easier for me to see, and it's funner that way because than we can deff bro up without any problems and find the scum together. I do think we should hydra sometime. :cool:

J: J, I'm sorry that you didn't have the time to commit to posting and showing why you did what you did. Early in rvs I really did think you were trying to be opportunistic with Kanty. I'd like for you to look into that and ask yourself why you were doing that, it would help me in reading you in the future. I can see that your reactions to me were you being annoyed, and I'm partially to blame since I asked about you as well, who had not given much content at that time. That was done on purpose to see what Kary would say. And I never considered you a tool lol.

Zen: <3 I would have had your back all game. Good ****. Sorry if I flooded the qt, I just love talking. I guess I did seem too buddy buddy with you, yet I think our mason claim would have cleared us because we weren't distancing at ALL. Like it was obvious. Feel free to be my mason anytime.

Nabe: I liked your reserved style here Nabe. You said what you needed to say when it was needed, and I felt you would be that townie drawing the nk for seeming to have a doc role or something.

Kantrip: KAN TRIPPPPP. Man. I seriously thought you were scum with bardull lmao, I seriously imagined you going NO IM NOT BUSSING KARY UH UH. Anyways, I had read you as town early on and if you actually put some thought to it I'd prolly read you correctly. Now you know why it's so important to not spread yourself out, and it's kool I understand. I have done so myself, Super Heroes, OS's All Stars, etc. Don't keep it up. :cool:

KevMo: Good stuff voting scum

Ryker: Lol at you being v/la. Although glad you came in to be the voice of reason when it came to me being pushed by J/Soup. You don't know how glad I was to see that post because I was soooo distracted by this game while trying to study for a test. (Not that I can't handle myself, just that it was on my mind and I hated it lol)

Would like to see your thoughts on how you would have went had you been here, and how you would have played out the game in the long run.

Macman: Macman. Damn you. Not that I had a read on you, but I was leaving you to PoE. Glad you got replaced.

Raziek: Ok man. I also read you as town (dumb town, but town none the less just trying to disprove Zen's gambit) when you replaced in. I do acknowledge that Kary got got because of a gambit, and not by play, or rather by convincing. Yet, I think Zen's gambit only helped in fueling the wagon that much more, and it forced other players to commit to reads on that, and it would have given information and other avenues upon his flip. Once you posted that, I was making sure to post whatever I had so you couldn't say "everyone is relying on the gambit/daycop" when mostly everyone was seeing how scummy kary was in reaction to it. It also helped due to J not being able to committ as much. If Zen hadn't done the gambit, J would most likely had had to do that wall/post. If he didn't, he'd get lynched and after J signing off to go OOVOO lmao, we were putting him up before Kantrip. But that's all we really needed, to situate the situation with J, and if we read him as not scum, than Kary would have been gone regardless. We put in work man, we didn't just go lol ok quick lynch em. Anyways good try bro.

Bardull: I lol'd when thinking that you were still in RVS mode when voting Ramen king man. I really want you to be more attentive to the game though, because I don't want you confusing me with your posts as if you read the game. Maybe I just forgot the passage of time or w/e. I guess you might have had the same prob with me in All Stars, because I came in the game without really reading the rvs, didn't care, just tried to post some reads, and you prolly WANTED ME GONE. Remember that feeling? Yeah.

July: Hmm, makes sense that you are playing differently without really trying to. Didn't expect you to post faster though. Although now that you do that, it'll be harder to fake things as scum so WATCH OUT. I probably wouldn't have had problems with you if you weren't as careful, and in this game, I felt it was mechanic related and was concerned with what you were trying to do. I just felt you were preparing for the long haul already. But now I understand. Anyways, good job. :3

Kary: kary. I'm so sorry I did this to you man, yeah i'm gung-ho but only to scum. Be town next time and we will bro it up I promise. :bee: If someone 'daycops' you, you are smart enough to know that the direction you went wasn't town mindset. But you prolly thought Zen was your partner to semi-bus you? lol Good stuff sticking to the end. If you tried harder you may have been left to live... maybe. But your silence killed you mang. GG

Circus: Thanks for modding! You should deff host another private sometime. Loved the role, and would have loved to see how Soup would have taken my and Zen's content had we died. YOU KNOW that I would be on that dead qt all day. I would ask you, do you think it's fair for us to know there is a medium? Would prolly give people more incentive to talk. Like I said, I was watching Prison Break and as soon as I got my role I was like... "Prison break can wait" (and now my sis and mom are already ahead of me lol)

Sorry that your setup mechanic was ****ED by us. Honestly I feel very satisfied to get the necromancer d1 yet I didn't think it'd end the game for us. I am satisfied, but I feel it would have been funner if it gone on longer, and to see how soup/kev played their roles.

Xonar: Hehe too bad you didn't get to get in this. Wondering what you would have done.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I find myself a bit frustrated with my play earlier on. I was playing like garbage and not thinking straight. I'm glad I picked it up and got the win, and learned something from it. It wasn't that I was wrong on Ranmaru, it was just that I was posting on impulse and nearly skimming things, trying for thread dominance. I got to sit down and analyze things like I usually do and came out strong in the end.
It's all good bro. I played off impulse too. I knew you most likely found my play scummy because you were bringing up things that felt scummy to you, and I knew I simply had to explain my mindset so you can see how legit it was and you did. I think it's fine you push where ever in the start, as long as you sit down and analyze like you did after wards. I also think it really helped bring us out of RVS with GOOD info.

/brofist

Check this out though:

Post #103

I can understand your concern here. Me just asking for reads? What's the point, right? Legit concern here.

Post #107

This, I didn't like, yet knew it might have you being annoyed with my play, or just disgusted by it at the time. I post this because I think you'll need to try to avoid from posting 'die die die' and instead explain WHY you would be saying that. That way in lesser playerlists you don't get accused of being opportunistic before you'd get a chance to re-evaluate.

Post #108

Same here. You were simplying things, you should have elaborated further with your feelings towards him.

But yeah. Generally if you explain why you are concerned with anyone's play, fully you should be good even if you are wrong because you are making them explain their actions. I see you are a lil frustrated, but don't be so hard on yourself. :cool: You say you were posting on impulse, so I say, whenever you get the feeling to instantly post your disgust at someone's play, remind your self "Soup, make sure to explain your actions in a calm manner (if possible), as long as my pov is visible I can say anything muahahahahha"

Example, when Raz replaced in trying to disprove the guilty it really made me want to smack him, but I let it play out because I knew in the end we'd get that Kary lynch. :3

Posts in QT about Raz:

Gonna start that Kary case. Or at least looking through the posts to see which make up his SCUMMINESS.
Pink Lemonade
btw, this is good info for town.

Basically, there are 5 votes on Kary, 4 on J.

Let's see which direction scum will try to push and why.
Pink Lemonade
Also Raz is town.

Don't blame him for seeing through your guilty, it helps us read him. We'll push this however we can. :3
Pink Lemonade
ZEN DON'T YOU GET AGGRAVATED.

Have patience. We'll get this.
Pink Lemonade
As much as I'd want to just instantly post YOU'RE WRONG...

I'm not going to and just try to see how it develops. Pretty sure Kary will get lynched.

Especially since deadline is tommorow. Might be a deadline extension though, so I should start on a case otherwise.Edited 09-23-2012 01:11 PM
Pink Lemonade
Knew Raz would take this approach.

It's fine, we have enough ammo to get Kary regardless.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
J still spreading general dislike around without actually bringing up any points
:awesome:

If you swap mine/Raz's roles, it looks a lot like we could've cruised to a win this game.

Soup gives me a hard time in game / suggests I hold back my emotions
:glare:

@Ran; you are not only gung-ho to scum, but I was scum so wp

big ups to Circus

:secretkpop:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Would've lynched Kary, then Ramen on town and J on scum flip. Wonder I would've gotten flak for that, because if Ramen and Kary were both town it would've been a perfect double kill for scum.

oh and GJ Kary for fighting til the end, Kuz would be proud

btw can definitely see where Raz is coming from, but the GIVE EVERYONE MVP brigade vs IT SHOULD BE A REWARD brigade will forever battle until the apocalypse dooms us all

BarDulL

Town Vampire
that's a good point @ran, truth is that i had trouble placing my feet down in the beginning, but once i get settled in, it's steam rolling from there. but hey it was like the beginning of the game, you came into all-stars at like page 20~ with your whack votes LOL.

i kinda have to agree with raziek to a point, sorry zen. like yeah there were a lot of shady things kary was saying and doing, but to shut down all avenues of information flow was obviously not the most pro-town thing to do. you could argue that an influx of information may have lead away from a kary lynch, but the grounds for the kary lynch would then subsequently be less prominent/compelling as a result (which is what happened here.) that's why i was playing devil's advocate so much and checking into other players (but for whatever reason i was being called scum for it lol, whack sauce.) still, the pick on kary was obviously a great choice and was the main reason why town won.

@raz - i agree with you in that if kary was not scum, things would have turned out terribly. technically though kary DID turn out to be necro, so even if the route zen took to win this game was kinda whack (rafiki status), he still definitely was town's most valuable player in terms of achieving the win con for town.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
WOW Soup's role was so cool especially in the context of this game. Circus and I think so much alike.

That's my thought as well. I have suspicion though that Necro and probably one other goon-like role make up the sole scum team and cannot night kill.
Like this, I literally thought: Circus probably makes setups the same way I do. If I wanted to make a game in which the Necromancer was the main factor, how would I make the setup?

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Also why isn't Ran being discussed for MVP when he put as much work into it as I did? People keep saying that "everyone had a scum read on Kary" but only cause Ran and I shoved it in your face. Ran actually put work into making the cases and all that townie jazz.

Kantrip

Kantplay
And Ran was the arm that thrusted.

I don't know about you, but I think the Spartans were MvP in their victories, not the tip of their weapons.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay, I'm here. V/LA is over for now. Still no internet where I'm living and my computer is halfway taken apart in a repair attempt. BUT, I'll have enough time to operate while at work and school until next weekend.

Need to read. I haven't read anything since getting sick on Thursday.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
We lynched the jester and Circus arbitrarily decided to end the game.

but really, we lynched the necro d1

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dual Nabe/Ryker MVP clearly.

Kary said it all already, he has a hard time seeming natural as sole scum. From there, he had no room to manuever away from other players' gut, which was the reason the lynch was going through and the reason no one could hold Zen accountable after the fact. Kary's still the best new face this site has seen in a while.
Yo! This is man speaks truth, especially the bold.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Okay, I'm here. V/LA is over for now. Still no internet where I'm living and my computer is halfway taken apart in a repair attempt. BUT, I'll have enough time to operate while at work and school until next weekend.

Need to read. I haven't read anything since getting sick on Thursday.
Lol ryker.

:phone:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
About the mvp. Zen started to hook on Kary, I caught on. I brought in the work, but it was due to zen being pro-active and getting what he wanted. I was more of a supporter/lane pusher for him. The only way I would think I'd get it if it was dual ran/zen because we both put in work. I also don't know how people feel about dual mvp's lol. Really if others don't think I deserve the MVP then I don't really need it because then I'm just self-mvp'ing lol. I can also understand people wanting to wait a lil and see me improve to see if I really deserve mvp consistency wise. I hope to have many successes down the road. :bee: And much more fun and much more bro'ing up.

And of course, the whole town did well in recognizing Kary's scummyness after the fact. Damn good job guys. : ]

I dunno why but I linked this to Zen as some sort of crumb but it prolly wouldn't have worked out. :p

I said "Macman wasn't town." It was an allusion as to how I was reading Ranmaru and how random the question was to Macman.
Lol and it turned out to be true.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
last thing I want to say on this topic;

did Zen's play turn out well this game?
yes, incredibly well

did Zen play well this game?
not necessarily

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Okay, so first thing's first. Role PMs:

Circus said:
Hello, Kary. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Robin Banks, a history teacher at Falls Hollow Middle School. Or, at least you were a teacher, many, many years ago, until the higher-ups caught wind of some of the more unsavory hobbies in which you participate (such as your interest in occultism and ritualistic practices related to such). Despite your protests, you were deemed unfit to teach children and promptly fired from your job. Many parents of your former students began publicly bashing you, either in belief that you were some sort of witch or Satanist, or because they just thought you were a loon for believing in magic (mostly the latter). You remained a shut-in for the following few decades, and the town eventually forgot about you entirely. Most of the people responsible for your predicament, in fact, are already gone. Regardless, the treatment has left you bitter and hateful, and you have decided that, the descendants of this town (and possibly the rest of the world, afterward), need to be taught a lesson.

You are the Necromancer. This town’s ignorance and bigotry have twisted your once gentle heart into an unrecognizable, snarling husk of what it once was. Once, you wanted nothing more than to teach the youth of Falls Hollow about the rich history upon which the town and country were founded, but that was decades ago. You have since thrown yourself into your practices of the dark arts, building your knowledge and powers for the time when you would finally be able to exact your revenge upon the world, starting with Falls Hollow. That time is now.

Passive Ability

Reanimate: Whenever a player dies, either through lynch or Night kill, you will compulsively attempt to reanimate them. Once they have been reanimated, they are yours to control for the remainder of the game. For the sake of clarity, I will refer to these reanimated players as “puppets” for the remainder of this message, though they go by no official term in-game.

Active Abilities

Puppeteer: Each of the puppets under your control are capable of performing one kill per Night. To command them to do so, simply send me a private message during the Night phase indicating which of your puppets will be attacking which living players. There is no defined way of structuring the command, but the clearer you can make it for me to understand, the smoother the whole process will go. A basic message like “send [puppet] to kill [living player]” or even something as simple as “[puppet] kills [living player]” will do just fine. Include every kill in one message, please. NOTE: You must dictate which puppets are attacking which players. Simply sending me the message “kill X, Y, and Z” is not acceptable. In order to keep hassle to a minimum, I will PM you a list of the puppets you have at your disposal at the beginning of each Night phase so you know what you’re working with.

Recruit: You have an Apprentice in this game, though you are not aware of the Apprentice’s identity. During any Night phase, you have the option of recruiting this Apprentice and giving him or her the power to command your horde just as you do. In addition, you will gain the ability to communicate with the Apprentice telepathically (via quicktopic). However, these abilities are all extremely spiritually taxing and, as a consequence, you will lose the ability to reanimate bodies if you choose to do this. All puppets already under your control will remain under your control, but no players who die during or after the Night of the Apprentice’s recruitment will be eligible for reanimation. Consider your options carefully.

Safeclaim
Robin Banks, Vanilla Townie, retired history teacher of Falls Hollow Middle School.

You are Anti-Town and you win when the Town can do nothing to stop your army of the dead.
Circus said:
Hello, Macman. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Felix Cited, the mortician (funeral director) of Cited Funeral Homes and Cremation Services. Being a lifelong citizen of Falls Hollow, you are also a former student of Falls Hollow Middle School. Your favorite teacher, Ms. Banks, was fired back when you attended the school. The faculty never explained exactly what the reasoning behind Banks’ termination was, but you’re pretty sure you know. Ms. Banks had what some people could consider an unhealthy fascination with the supernatural and the occult. This of course, was one of the things you loved about Ms. Banks—in fact, Ms. Banks was the one who introduced you to the dark arts, which gave you a fascination with them that was akin to her own, particularly as it related to the dead. You consider this the catalyst that lead you down your current career path. Not that you’ve ever told anyone that, however, having seen what happened to your former teacher. It has been several decades since then, and until recently, you weren’t really sure what had become of Ms. Banks. But when the dead began to walk again, you knew exactly who was behind it all. With your interest in the dark arts rekindled, you’ve decided to try to notify Ms. Banks of your desire to help.

You are the Necromancer’s Apprentice. Unlike the rest of the town, when the dead began to rise, you knew exactly what was going on. Ms. Banks is the one controlling the dead and, quite frankly, you want to help her. You are aware that Kary is Robin Banks, the Necromancer, and you are the only one who knows this.

Though you start the game on your own, the Necromancer is capable of recruiting you during the Night phases. The Necromancer has been made aware of the existence of an Apprentice, but nothing more.

Safeclaim
Felix Cited, Vanilla Townie, mortician of Cited Funeral Homes and Cremation Services.

You are Anti-Town and you win when the Town can do nothing to stop the Necromancer’s army of the dead. NOTE: If the Necromancer dies before you are recruited, you lose.
Circus said:
Hello, Soup. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Annalee Tickle, an old woman who lives in Falls Hollow. A few years ago, your husband succumbed to lung cancer (a pack a day will do that to a guy), leaving you alone in your home with just the money he was able to save up from his job to live on. Despite the financial trouble, the loneliness is the one thing you’ve struggled the most to cope with, leading you to take some rather drastic measures.

You are a Medium. Immediately following the death of your husband, grief drove you to find a way to reach him again. You studied for months, absorbing what you could from dozens—maybe hundreds—of books that claimed to know the secrets of mediumship or contacting the dead. After obsessing over this idea of reuniting with your beloved, you were finally able to hear his voice in your mind. You couldn’t will his voice into your ears; all you could do is listen and hope he would decide to speak. Eventually, other voices began to join the conversation, some of which belonged to people you can’t recall meeting before. You may not be able to talk to them, but you can hear them. Who knows what secrets the dead may hold? With their help, maybe you'll be able to put their bodies to rest for good.

Passive Ability

Eavesdrop: The Necromancer may be manipulating the bodies of the dead townsfolk, but it can’t touch their spirits. That’s where you come in. After a player has died, their spirit will cross over to The Afterlife, where it will be able to continue expressing ideas and converse with spirits of other dead players. It’s quiet in there now, but I suspect it will be getting pretty chatty once it gets a little more populated. Your ears are always open to whatever it is the dead feel like talking about. NOTE: The living cannot speak to the dead. While you have access to The Afterlife QT now, it is strictly for reading purposes. It is imperative that you DO NOT POST WITHIN IT while you are alive. I cannot emphasize this enough; that’s why I put it in capital letters. You cannot speak directly to any of the dead players, under any circumstance. Breaking this rule will get you modkilled.

You are Town and you win when the Necromancer’s army of the dead has been stopped.
Circus said:
Hello, KevinM. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Bruce D’Frute, a grizzly man who works for the lumber mill. Technically speaking, you don’t really live within Falls Hollow proper—you live in the woods, about a mile outside of it, in a cabin you built yourself. You enjoy your solitude and being self-sufficient, however you do often travel into town to visit the bar and have a few beers with your workmates. Despite being a bit of an outsider, you love Falls Hollow and the people who live there (or at least the ones you’ve met in various drunken stupors).

You are an Axman. Being just about the only guy in town with the right tool for the job, you have taken it upon yourself to do something others don’t seem to have the stomach for—chopping up bodies. It’s gruesome work to be sure, but cutting up a corpse, in your mind, is still a far kinder gesture than allowing a person’s body to be used by some crazy spell-caster to carry out their evil deeds.

Active Ability

Butcher: Once a Night, each Night, you may select a living player to stalk. If that player is attacked and killed that Night, you will dismember the body to prevent the Necromancer from reanimating it. This ability only works on players that die the same Night that you follow them, as that is the only way to prevent the body from being collected by the Necromancer. If Player X is killed on N1, he or she cannot be butchered on N2. If Player X is lynched D1, he or she cannot be butchered on N1. Be perceptive.

You are Town and you win when the Necromancer’s army of the dead has been stopped.
Circus said:
Hello, Zen. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Donny Brook, a 20-something who just recently moved to Falls Hollow with your girlfriend, Jenna Russ (Ranmaru). A few months ago, the two of you decided to move out to this sleepy little town and start your lives together, despite some reluctance from each of your parents. And then dead people began to rise and attack the living. Great timing, right?! Maybe you guys should have listened to mom and dad....

You and Jenna Russ are Lovers. Being as in love with each other as you are, and still being somewhat unfamiliar with the rest of the townsfolk, the bond that binds the two of you is stronger than any other. You will undoubtedly be relying on each other for support as you attempt to survive this ordeal. However, should either one of you meet an untimely demise, the other will have no choice but to follow them to The Afterlife. Having uprooted your whole lives together, there’s no way either of you would be able to continue on alone.

Passive Ability

Pillow Talk: Despite the name, this ability can be used any time, Day or Night. Simply use this quicktopic to hold private conversations from the rest of the group.

Incorruptible: You and your partner are truly in love. The light of your love is so bright, in fact, that it overcomes any darkness that attempts to crawl beneath it. This means that, even if the two of you die at some point during the game, the Necromancer will not be able to use your bodies to carry out any evil deeds.

You are Town and you win when the Necromancer’s army of the dead has been stopped. Your partner is also confirmed to be Town.
Circus said:
Hello, Ranmaru. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Jenna Russ, a 20-something who just recently moved to Falls Hollow with your boyfriend, Donny Brook (Ramen King). A few months ago, the two of you decided to move out to this sleepy little town and start your lives together, despite some reluctance from each of your parents. And then dead people began to rise and attack the living. Great timing, right?! Maybe you guys should have listened to mom and dad....

You and Donny are Lovers. Being as in love with each other as you are, and still being somewhat unfamiliar with the rest of the townsfolk, the bond that binds the two of you is stronger than any other. You will undoubtedly be relying on each other for support as you attempt to survive this ordeal. However, should either one of you meet an untimely demise, the other will have no choice but to follow them to The Afterlife. Having uprooted your whole lives together, there’s no way either of you would be able to continue on alone.

Passive Ability

Pillow Talk: Despite the name, this ability can be used any time, Day or Night. Simply use this quicktopic to hold private conversations from the rest of the group.

Incorruptible: You and your partner are truly in love. The light of love is so bright, in fact, that it overcomes any darkness that attempts to crawl beneath it. This means that, even if the two of you die at some point during the game, the Necromancer will not be able to use your bodies to carry out any evil deeds.

You are Town and you win when the Necromancer’s army of the dead has been stopped. Your partner is also confirmed to be Town.
Circus said:
Hello, July. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Even Jersey-Sembal, a student at Falls Hollow High School and zombie enthusiast (an interest that has made you a bit of an outcast at school). You’ve grown up on schlocky, B-grade horror movies, and spend quite a lot of time hanging out in the town’s cemetery, for the ambiance. Or at least you did, until the whole town basically turned into a real life horror flick. If you’re honest, when this whole situation began, you found it just a little bit thrilling. However, that feeling quickly disappeared when you’re mother, your only family, was killed by one of the walking dead. The only thing motivating you now, and keeping you from spiraling into paralyzing fear and depression, is a thirst for revenge.

Circus said:
Hello, Kantrip. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Hammer B. Mitey, the town’s mayor. Whether or not you were elected because or in spite of your strangely humorous name is a mystery; all you do know is that your name is no longer the most interesting thing about your public service career. From now on, assuming Falls Hollow exists in the near future, your term as mayor will be defined by that period of time when the freaking dead walked the streets and attacked people. Maybe Hollywood will do a biopic on you after this. Hopefully they can get Bruce Campbell to play you....

Circus said:
Hello, Ryker. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Arthur Moore, the owner of the popular local delicatessen, Moore Meats & Cheeses. Needless to say, this recent uprising of the dead has been incredibly bad for business. Not only are people scared to leave their homes, but all of your employees have either been killed or fled the town by now. These corpses gotta go if you’re gonna save your business (and your own life).

Circus said:
Hello, J. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Lisa Sedan, a local street performer in Falls Hollow. Orphaned at a young age, and left with little more than your father’s old guitar and the clothes on your back, you decided to make the most of things and use your love of music to try to stay afloat. You’ve been struggling to make ends meet for most of your life, but times are especially tough now, what with the undead attacking the living and all. The bright side is, if you manage to survive, this will provide you with great material for some new songs.

Circus said:
Hello, Nabe. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Kerry Abigstik, a bar tender at the local tavern, The Lazy Turtle. Though the pub is typically known for its rowdiness (despite what the name would imply) and cheap beer on tap, the place has been quite a bummer lately. That’s not to say that there has been no business—there are always a few reliable customers trying to drink themselves to death at the bar every night, chugging away at their glasses as if, with enough booze in their systems, they could make all this undead stuff go away. It’s been depressing to watch. If you’re going to turn this place back into the party capital of the town that it once was, you’ll have to do something about this.

Circus said:
Hello, Bardull. Welcome to Necromafia!

You are Rick Ettebridge, pastor at the First Baptist Church of Falls Hollow. In this time of crisis, many in your parish have turned to you for extra guidance. Your only leadership on the matter so far has been to tell them that this could indeed be the end of times and it’s best to accept that there is no running away from or fighting God’s plan. Still, fear has sent most of the people you’ve spoken to out of the town, and some have even been killed by the undead that now roam the streets. You have tried to remain calm during these events, believing it to be a necessary part of God’s design, though you may not understand it. However, since it has come to light that a mortal human playing with supernatural forces is actually the one behind this, you have decided to try to help find them and expel this curse.

The only really interesting one you guys haven't read yet is Kevin's, but I included the rest just in case anyone was interested in reading some of the flavor for the VTs.

General thoughts on setup, players, etc. incoming.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Okay, here we go.

The Setup

So obviously the whole thing centered around the Necromancer role, and every other role in the game was created to deal with it or aid it in some way. By the very nature of the mechanic at play here, I knew the game would have to be swingy. With the way the kill stacking works, it would be ridiculous to give the Necro even one buddy from the beginning, which is how the idea of the Apprentice (who is essentially just a variation of a Traitor, of course) came about. Not only did the Apprentice give the Necro a back-up option if things started getting hairy (if it could survive past at least D1...), it also gave the town a chance to make some connections (without the Apprentice role, literally every flip is nearly useless to town, information-wise). It also gave the Necro a reason to pay attention to the roster in order to make sure not to kill the Apprentice (although, even if the Apprentice did die, it wouldn't be a big deal as long as the Necro's capable of blending well; the Apprentice still goes to good use as kill power).

I liked the idea of the Apprentice being both a potentially useful flip to town ("he's been defending so-and-so all game! That must be the Necromancer!") and a potentially confounding one ("No way scum would white knight a buddy like that. Probably just looking for brownie points on a town flip."), as well as something the Necro would have to perpetually be mindful of ("do I play it safe and sacrifice my reanimating power now, or do I risk another Day to get some extra muscle?"). It was a simple role that filled several purposes, and I attribute the way this game played out, in large part, to the fact that the role was hardly present here. But more on that once I get to the individual player commentary....

Obviously a COP WOULD BE BROKEN IN THIS SETUP :mad088: and Watchers and Trackers would be 100% useless, given the flavor at work here (they would never see the Necro kill because the Necro doesn't kill directly). So, to give town a little boost in locating scum, I made the Medium. The Medium still couldn't get bingos, but could at least get some opinions on where to look from folks that had already died. Assuming at least some of them would have been killed due to having accurate reads, it would make sense that some of them could have some useful insight. The Medium's challenge would mainly be to figure out which leads would be worth following, and when to share their role with the rest of the town. It could have been cool if the Medium ended up claiming, alerting its presence not only to the Town, but also to The Afterlife QT. Then they could essentially all start communicating again, with the Medium facilitating (you know, like Medium's actually do outside of Mafia [if you believe in that sort of thing]). And can you imagine if the Apprentice ended up back there? GAWD THE POSSIBILITIES.

The Axman basically just existed to give town a little bit of stalling power with the Night kills. The Axman couldn't outright stop the Necro's kills from stacking, but he could at least pump the brakes a little. In the hands of a very perceptive townie (and depending on the statuses of the Lovers and the Apprentice), the Axman's ability could add up to a full Day phase between the Town and lylo.

The Lovers were another element of swing. If they were killed while the Necro was still solo, then they would have been positive utility for the Town, because even though they're two kills, since neither body can be used by the Necro, it's still more beneficial than if the Necro had killed a normal townie. However, if the Lovers were to die after the Necro recruits the Apprentice (giving up the reanimation ability in the process) then the Lovers' Incorruptible perk becomes useless and they just become two bodies for the price of one.

I was obviously a little worried at the start that the Town might have been a little over powered here, and I was of course aware that the worst case scenario was that the Town could technically end the game on D1 by hitting the Necro. I considered this an unlikely enough scenario that I decided to roll with it. Ultimately, it came down to how the roles got dealt. A Necro that was adept at blending would have been devastating for Town, since they have no way of finding the Necro outside of good ol' fashioned scumhunting—it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. But with the benefits of flying solo, so come the drawbacks. The whole scum faction could be done away with on one good hunch. It was really completely in the hands of the players (and maybe a bit of dumb luck).

Which segues well into...

The Players

@Kary: Like I said before, you made a great effort at digging yourself out of the hole you found yourself in when the game started. It's incredibly difficult to attempt to push through that kind of adversity, even when you have a scumbuddy or two. Trying to do it alone must have been hell and I very much respect you staying in the game and giving it a shot. Lesser players would have given up or tried replacing out (which would not have been very nice to replacement; I've been on that end of things as well...). So, kudos for tenacity.

With that said, I do think your scum game needs work. You really don't blend very well, and if I had been in this game, I would have reacted to you in the pre-game exactly the same way Zen and Ran did. Your posts threw up red flags immediately, whether your first post was prewritten or not. What I glean from what has been posted in post-game so far is that people tend to think you're kind of scummy even when you're Town though, so you may just have a somewhat off-putting playstyle, which makes things tricky, as I wouldn't necessarily encourage you to lose that (it encourages scum to keep you around, and if your reads are right, then that's bad news for them).

Regardless, I saw at least a couple people mention that they consider you one of the best new faces in Dgames and I'm inclined to agree—that's why I invited you. Unfortunately, you were given a role that really didn't suit your strengths at all.

@Macman: I know now that you were very busy over this last week, but damn. This game could have gone so much differently if you had been here. I think you generally dislike playing scum anyway, so I'm not sure if you would have been able to step your scum game up enough to properly salvage this game, but if you had the energy to really make yourself a presence here and play to your town meta, you could have turned this game on its ear. A lot of the players here would be willing to listen to a player with your kind of clout; you could have pushed the attention away from Kary pretty well. Had I known you weren't going to have time to play this game for the entirety of the first Day phase, I would have replaced you much sooner. Speaking of...

@Raziek: Great effort, man. I really appreciate you coming into the game with your guns blazing, trying to rescue Kary from that nosedive. It was a ****ty position to replace into, but you dug in your heels instead of just letting Kary flounder, and that was nice to see. Unfortunately, it was just too little too late.

@Soup: Solid reads, solid play as usual. Though I think you were one of the first ones to start surrendering your better judgement to Zen's cop gambit, which was strange to see. Still, you ended up on Kary for the right reasons and stayed relatively level-headed throughout.

@Kevin: Typical play. Super background, but with the most important reads right. The game was really short and you just weren't one of the power players here so there isn't much more to say.

@ Zen: I have mixed emotions about you here. On one hand, you pretty much lead Town to a perfect victory, and it was at least based on some legit reads (as opposed to Chaco getting Riddle lynched D1 in Wonderland Mafia on ****in' nothing). I have to give props to that.

HOWEVER

I pretty much share Raziek's sentiments on your Day Cop gambit, only with about 100% less venom and maybe 10% more salt since it kind of ruined my game. It don't think your gambits are always inherently bad, but I think that regardless of the results, this game is an example of you getting really overconfident. Gambits like the one you pulled are useful mainly for getting immediate reactions, and even then, mostly only on newer players. Vets tend to be skeptical of things like that, devaluing their usefulness immensely (the fact that so many players actually caved to it eventually still kind of blows me away).

But beyond the fact that the gambit overstayed its welcome, I also just hate the way you went about it. You didn't get a guilty on Kary; you read scum-intent in her posts. Instead of attempting to study Kary further or reveal that intent to the rest of the town by simply pressuring/questioning Kary or laying out your read in full to the town, you just committed to this Day Cop lie and hammered it and hammered it and hammered it. Here's the irony: If you can't explain your scumread to the Town in a way that persuades them to follow you, then your read is not strong enough to fake a guilty on. You didn't have enough evidence on your side to actually use it to get Kary lynched, so you had to fudge. All you had was gut. Gut reads can be very strong and sometimes they can even be correct. But on D1, with nothing but a gut read to go on, and especially in a game where all dead bodies become tools for scum to try to kill you, that gambit was insanely risky for no reason. And you basically just tried to bully other people into believing you ("why don't you guys believe me?! I. HAVE. A. GUILTY. This is not a gambit this is not a gambit this is not a gambit you're all stupid"), rather than trying to convince them you were worth believing by giving them reasons to follow you. Watching you rage at everyone, when they were all actually doing the rational thing by not believing you (because you WERE faking your claim! Oh my god!), was really annoying.

Again, in my estimation, only about 10% of this is salt about my game imploding. Most of it is legit examination, so please don't shrug it off.

Also, don't let the difference in word length for the pros and cons fool you. I'm still mulling over MVP.

@Ranmaru: Props on making great use of role and using your noodle. You were very logical with your reads and did a good job backing them up, even when they were wrong. You were a big asset to town, and you're the perfect kind of partner to end up with in a masonry. Zen was lucky to have you to bounce reads off of, and to have your support when he decided to try to hardbody Kary. You did wonders for the momentum of that wagon.

@July: Stable play. You gave Kary too much leeway in the beginning, but I at least caught you actually developing reads and trying to educate yourself on player interactions. I like to see that; it's one of my favorite things about you as a player. However, I think you've become a player that many others worry about, since you can now hide behind walls of calculations pretty well as town meta. It makes you difficult to read. I wouldn't count that as a bad thing, but know that it's probably something you'll have to deal with in all of your games now. It used to be easy to ping down townJuly, but since getting more cautious, your analysis is now much more difficult to judge.

@Kantrip: You're better when you're not wallowing, bro. I invited you to this game for a reason. You can be solid, but here, you didn't do much but sort of pout about some not so shiny moments in recent play and get into a scuffle with Bard because of it. We've all been there, dude. I've had some downright embarrassing experiences as all Mafia alignments, and will surely continue to have them. Sometimes your reads are just going to be REALLY off or you're just going to slip REALLY obviously as scum, or going to UNKNOWINGLY LYNCH YOUR WINCON LIKE I DID as indy, and that's just the way it is. The key is not to dwell on it. Keep getting in people's faces, man. It's not a bad thing, even if it gets heated, as long as it doesn't get personal.

@Ryker: You were basically never here. Not much to say. You tend to not be much of an early game player, and I knew you had irl ****, so I expected you to blossom after a Day or two had passed, if at all. Unfortunately, it never came to pass.

@J: I appreciate you playing; I know you have a lot on your plate right now. I'm not going to hold your inactivity and constant catch up against you here for obvious reasons. The one thing I will say is that I think you need to, as a general rule, look a little more outwardly than you do. As a mafia player, even as town, you tend to be very self-centric, and that leads to problems. This isn't the first time that you've allowed general Town suspicion of you to dominate your entire focus. If you're not the main focus for the lynch at any given time, my advice is to try to divorce yourself a bit more from the public opinion of you and try to analyze whatever the big conversation at the moment is. Even when your head isn't the one on the chopping block, you still feel the need to crush every last word of dissent against you, at all times, and that usually only makes you look scummier, if anything. Answer questions if they're posed to you, of course, and correct incorrect information if it can be easily and clearly squashed, but try not to let it eat your whole field of vision. Figure out how much it actually weighs in the grand scheme of things and decide if it's actually the thing most deserving of your attention at that moment.

@Nabe:

(Also, it looks like I was a FOOL for worrying about our games overlapping.)

@Bardull: Even though you were fighting the winning tide at the end a bit, I really liked your reads and your play here. You stayed cool, you fought for your own reads and stayed rational throughout. This is good, because it allows Town to read your intent better than if you just wagon hop or belligerently tunnel one read. Good looks. Stay a bear in shades bro.

Aaaaaand I think that's it. GG, all. Now I'm gonna go wait in a corner for Nabe's game to start.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Robbin' banks

Feel excited

......Anally tickle? :urg: Virg would not approve

Brewsty Fruit? Don't get this one

Donny Brook (got nothin) and Generous

Avengers Assemble!

Hammer be mighty

Arthur Moore.... author more?

Lisa Sedan got nothin

Carry a big stick

Rickety bridge

My inability to solve all of these has left me mad and angry!!!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
D:

There's answers a few posts back if you want to cheat.

I will say that apparently not many people know what a donnybrook is.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh, also, one last fun fact regarding that.

Originally, I was going to name the Lovers "Donny" and "Brook" since that's a boy's name and a girl's name respectively, and it, of course, made the word "donnybrook" when combined. However, that kind of mucked with my first name + last name formula, so I just made the boy's name "Donny Brook." However, I still needed a name for the girl, and I kind of liked the fact that the boy's name was basically a boy's name and a girl's name put together, so Jenna Russ is the same, but inverted ("Russ" is often short for "Russell," typically a boy's name).

IT WORKS ON SO MANY LEVELS.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Anally tickle is a perfectly acceptable answer. I totally noticed it before the game started.

No Freud, just full homo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm gonna join the disagreement with MvP to Zen from what I got reading this game.

He wasn't the only one to read Kary as scum, he just was really loud about it. I disagree with Zen's gambit fake guilty being just random scum reads and useless as well but still I don't think MvP is appropriate here given he wasn't the only one who had Kary as scum and how he approached it didn't convince people Kary was scum, they got to that on their own without Zen's influence.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Zen: I have mixed emotions about you here. On one hand, you pretty much lead Town to a perfect victory, and it was at least based on some legit reads (as opposed to Chaco getting Riddle lynched D1 in Wonderland Mafia on ****in' nothing). I have to give props to that.

HOWEVER

I pretty much share Raziek's sentiments on your Day Cop gambit, only with about 100% less venom and maybe 10% more salt since it kind of ruined my game. It don't think your gambits are always inherently bad, but I think that regardless of the results, this game is an example of you getting really overconfident. Gambits like the one you pulled are useful mainly for getting immediate reactions, and even then, mostly only on newer players. Vets tend to be skeptical of things like that, devaluing their usefulness immensely (the fact that so many players actually caved to it eventually still kind of blows me away).

But beyond the fact that the gambit overstayed its welcome, I also just hate the way you went about it. You didn't get a guilty on Kary; you read scum-intent in her posts. Instead of attempting to study Kary further or reveal that intent to the rest of the town by simply pressuring/questioning Kary or laying out your read in full to the town, you just committed to this Day Cop lie and hammered it and hammered it and hammered it. Here's the irony: If you can't explain your scumread to the Town in a way that persuades them to follow you, then your read is not strong enough to fake a guilty on. You didn't have enough evidence on your side to actually use it to get Kary lynched, so you had to fudge. All you had was gut. Gut reads can be very strong and sometimes they can even be correct. But on D1, with nothing but a gut read to go on, and especially in a game where all dead bodies become tools for scum to try to kill you, that gambit was insanely risky for no reason. And you basically just tried to bully other people into believing you ("why don't you guys believe me?! I. HAVE. A. GUILTY. This is not a gambit this is not a gambit this is not a gambit you're all stupid"), rather than trying to convince them you were worth believing by giving them reasons to follow you. Watching you rage at everyone, when they were all actually doing the rational thing by not believing you (because you WERE faking your claim! Oh my god!), was really annoying.

Again, in my estimation, only about 10% of this is salt about my game imploding. Most of it is legit examination, so please don't shrug it off.

Also, don't let the difference in word length for the pros and cons fool you. I'm still mulling over MVP.
Cool cool.

Alright first off the bolded isn't true. I definitely had enough reason for Kary scum. I simply didn't take the time to translate it over to others' perspectives. As Nabe said, I just removed that medium of communication to get Kar lynched. My read wasn't "gut" at all, I just never expressed that reasoning. I continued not to express reasoning after I went forward with the cop claim as to keep as to keep the appearance that I was reading him as scum from the guilty rather than slip ups. I could have went that route, it would have just been more of a bother. I hardly ever do a gambit for reactions, I do them solely for the purpose of getting that person lynched. When you have scum, you lynch them (especially in the early phases). Mulling over it tends to give way to too many uncertainties. Had I left it open for discussion there would always be people who would wifom themselves into oblivion with the overload of cases and defenses. Why give Kary something he can argue against when I can push him against something he can't argue against, you see? It's a pain on his end, but that's not my concern, my concern is the most optimal way to obtain victory. That being said, this play route is only something that I would do every once in so many games. I enjoy experimenting with different styles and seeing what works best. Raz claimed that succeeding with it this game will cause me to cop gambit more, but that's just false. I've tried different approaches to see what works. When you fail, reconfigure and try again. After all those failed cop gambit attempts, I wasn't going to give up until one actually succeeded and now I'm satisfied. But anyways what was I even talking about? Oh yeah, just because it wasn't one's desired play style, doesn't mean that it doesn't achieve results. People can't complain about a persons playstyle when it's a part of winning the game. Had I lost the game, then one could complain about it. There isn't a single game in which my gambits have contributed toward a loss. People think that the more info the better, but there's a certain point where there is information overload in which most of the stuff is just useless/is to scum's advantage. I saw scum and proceeded to eliminate them. There was no need for all that middle ground this game. That's not to say that it isn't necessary in other games. It's not all the time that I have such a strong read. While I may try to come off as being confident, I am usually never certain on anything. This just came out to be an instance when I actually was. My reasoning on Kary was the fact that he had no town intent in his posts. He had a defensive manner rather than a Imma-find-them-scum manner. His push for the no lynch gave clue that he knew more about the setup than most other townies. I actually learned from missing out on this tell in Super Heros Mafia. Nabe had made similar set up speculations and I failed to get him as scum from that. But goshgiveawayallmyscumtells. So yeah basically Kary was showing that he knew more than he should have. Another thing is the way he came into the game. I don't believe for one minute he made that post before he knew his role. It completely mimicked the way Ran and I were going about the game. Kary, not knowing that we were lovers, picked up on two individual townies play and attempted to emulate that. Again that shows concern over appearance rather than concern over others appearances. Later on down the line meta/AtE analysis just added to it. His AtE post was half-***ed. He attempted to give off the vibe of passion without the passion. So yeah none of my reasoning was "gut". I just needed to give off that appearance in order to continue with the gambit.

For the record, all that was fake. I wasn't really upset that they didn't believe me haha. I didn't even expect any of them TO believe me. I just knew that if I kept expressing it, they would have no choice but to accept it based on game logic.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
I did understand the risks btw. @Nabe/Xonar/Raz. I wasn't just being impulsive. The reason why I felt it was safe to pull the cop gambit this game was because:

1. I'm known for doing these things. It's not like people would take it as a scum tell. Even if they did
2. Ran and I had established our mason crumb right away. Raz states that this would have been spun around as scum buddies but no, no one would have gone for that unless Ran and I continued to live which would also be fine. So le no.
3. Lovers usually have to worry about dying, but Ran and I did not have to worry about this at all. Our deaths were protown and the fact that Circus put us in the setup indicated that we didn't have much to worry about. Either us living or dying did not have much negative impact on town.
4. Certainty on Kary. As I said, I do not usually have such certainty. Hence why doing the cop thing in the past has always failed because I would be looking to be reading the person at the same time. Here I had already had my read, I wasn't trying TO read him.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Oh, also, one last fun fact regarding that.

Originally, I was going to name the Lovers "Donny" and "Brook" since that's a boy's name and a girl's name respectively, and it, of course, made the word "donnybrook" when combined. However, that kind of mucked with my first name + last name formula, so I just made the boy's name "Donny Brook." However, I still needed a name for the girl, and I kind of liked the fact that the boy's name was basically a boy's name and a girl's name put together, so Jenna Russ is the same, but inverted ("Russ" is often short for "Russell," typically a boy's name).

IT WORKS ON SO MANY LEVELS.

This is jean yus

July

Smash Apprentice
Just my opinion on MVP, whether or not you agree with how Zen went about the gambit and pushing the Kary lynch, the fact still remains that Zen was the major driving force behind the Kary lynch and without him there is absolutely no guarantee that Kary would have been lynched toDay (and from there we have no clue how the game would have played out). Yes other players came to find Kary scummy for a variety of reasons (I'm very glad to have been a part of this town which was able to come together for the Kary lynch :D), but Zen was the most valuable person in starting the push on Kary and seeing it through to its completion, directly resulting in town winning the game. Most valuable player isn't about who played mafia the prettiest, it's about who took actions and achieved results that benefited their faction to such a great extent that their faction would have suffered without their presence in the game (that's my concept of MVP at least), and my personal opinion is that Zen fits that description.

I understand the other argument though, ultimately the decision is Circus' anyways but just throwing out my thoughts on the issue :)

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I did understand the risks btw. @Nabe/Xonar/Raz. I wasn't just being impulsive. The reason why I felt it was safe to pull the cop gambit this game was because:

1. I'm known for doing these things. It's not like people would take it as a scum tell. Even if they did
2. Ran and I had established our mason crumb right away. Raz states that this would have been spun around as scum buddies but no, no one would have gone for that unless Ran and I continued to live which would also be fine. So le no.
3. Lovers usually have to worry about dying, but Ran and I did not have to worry about this at all. Our deaths were protown and the fact that Circus put us in the setup indicated that we didn't have much to worry about. Either us living or dying did not have much negative impact on town.
4. Certainty on Kary. As I said, I do not usually have such certainty. Hence why doing the cop thing in the past has always failed because I would be looking to be reading the person at the same time. Here I had already had my read, I wasn't trying TO read him.
Yeah, at the time I hadn't seen your role. It was a good play with the information you had at hand.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Gave the MVP to Zen.

Even though I have issues with some facets of Zen's play in this game, he did ultimately lead Town to a shutout victory, which is due credit on its own, but he also did it in a game in which scum gets stronger the longer it goes on. There are obviously factors that fell into place that gave town a bit of an advantage they shouldn't have really had, and Zen's methods annoyed me, but I can't argue much with results, especially since it doesn't make much sense to me to be that stingy about things like this. It's an honor title in a forum mafia game, not a Nobel Prize (and they hand those out like candy now). Zen getting MVP doesn't hurt anyone.

If anyone has a serious problem with this decision, keep it to yourself, because I could search high and low and never be able to find a **** to give you. Peace.

Ghebbers gonna Gheb.

Top Bottom