• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think we should just go with the old low tiers. Worked perfectly fine IMO. (and we can add PT)

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Luigi, Wolf, (Zelda/Sheik), Sonic, Ike and Sheik are not low tiers IMO.
no one said they were; they are D tier.....they are low-mid tiers. We want them allowed to be used in the low-tier tourney

that is all

edit: i guess my OP about low-tiers was confusing; it was a copy-paste from the Duke biweeklies where the 'low'-tier tournament denotes that both low and low-mid tiers can be used. sry for any confusion I may have caused. On the Duke page, I had DEFG in bold just to show which ones would be used. for some reason it didn't save that formatting.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
we want them? lol

in a low tiers tourney, I think that Luigi, Wolf, Shiek and possibly Sonic are a bit too good to be lumped in with other low tiers. Especially Shiek, which the BBR placed horrendously on the tier list.

Foxy

Smash Master
Alright, the other event will be Brawl Lowtiers, only singles, but if the flow of the event happens to be great, I will run Lowtier Doubles as well (if there's enough potential entrants).

Lowtiers allowed will be D-G (see ZeldaRox's post).

I'm holding off on the publicity, and fully updating the OP, until I feel comfortable with the amount of confirmation we have with the North Hall venue (aka talking to Trey as soon as I can, today if possible).

I wouldn't say 40+ for turnout unless we're lucky. NCSU tournaments really do have poor attendance, most of them were 15-20 entrants, minus the one large one, because for some reason only regulars attend NCSU, and at Bill/Karnfests, and BAC, all these newer players show up out of nowhere. I'm trying to figure out how that works. They're probably scared of androgynous young men.

As I'm not on campus at state for anything this semester, I can't really do on-campus publicity... but depending on the motivation of smashers who are there, we could get some decent fliers out at the Wolves' Den and the library (if people still play games there much - I heard it got changed a bit).

As an honest estimate without any actual data, I'd expect 30 players here.

And yes, pools are just for seeding, PR data, and better experience for more players. It worked out fine the last two tournaments (well, the former of the two had only 3 setups =[ )

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Foxy, new people show up because they ADVERTISE. Maria talked to people who attended the LAN center, and billfests not only were around at a time when the game was newer and more people were interested, but Bill also advertised around Chapel Hill IIRC.

oh yeah
BRING ****ING SETUPS OMG

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
we want them? lol

in a low tiers tourney, I think that Luigi, Wolf, Shiek and possibly Sonic are a bit too good to be lumped in with other low tiers. Especially Shiek, which the BBR placed horrendously on the tier list.
yes, we do. and I dunno what in the world you're talking about. Just by looking at the match-up chart, the only broken character in a low-tier tourney is wolf. Almost all of Luigi's match ups are 50:50 or 55:45; and Sheik's are mostly 60:40 and 55:45; wolf on the other hand has quite a few 65:35 and mostly 60:40.

But if you don't let in D tier either Zelda or Samus takes it no problem. Mario might have a fighting chance.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Alright, the other event will be Brawl Lowtiers, only singles, but if the flow of the event happens to be great, I will run Lowtier Doubles as well (if there's enough potential entrants).

Lowtiers allowed will be D-G (This means keith's luigi will give everyone the ****).

I'm holding off on the publicity, and fully updating the OP, until I feel comfortable with the amount of confirmation we have with the North Hall venue (aka talking to Trey as soon as I can, today if possible).

I wouldn't say 40+ for turnout unless we're lucky. NCSU tournaments really do have poor attendance, most of them were 15-20 entrants, minus the one large one, because for some reason only regulars attend NCSU, and at Bill/Karnfests, and BAC, all these newer players show up out of nowhere. I'm trying to figure out how that works. They're probably scared of androgynous young men.

As I'm not on campus at state for anything this semester, I can't really do on-campus publicity... but depending on the motivation of smashers who are there, we could get some decent fliers out at the Wolves' Den and the library (if people still play games there much - I heard it got changed a bit).

As an honest estimate without any actual data, I'd expect 30 players here.

And yes, pools are just for seeding, PR data, and better experience for more players. It worked out fine the last two tournaments (well, the former of the two had only 3 setups =[ )

come the **** at me bros.

WHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

-Xyro

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
lol MU charts. :'D
I mean.....like.....they seem fairly accurate when updated. And this won is accurate as of August. Like what else do you have to go on? Like I watch a lot of videos and the charts seem to reflect what the MU shows. Like I find it funny how you dismiss them with no reason whatsoever. Like if you actually read the discussions that boards have when updating their MU charts, it seems like it is very thorough and all parts of the match are considered. But I'm sure you can enlighten me how a 65:35 MU is actually a 45:55 one.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Foxy, new people show up because they ADVERTISE. Maria talked to people who attended the LAN center, and billfests not only were around at a time when the game was newer and more people were interested, but Bill also advertised around Chapel Hill IIRC.

oh yeah
BRING ****ING SETUPS OMG
I should have like 5 to bring. Hopefully I can make it in time to make them useful. Like I said, I probably won't be getting here until between 3 and 4. I figure brawl singles (pools) will be beginning. I got the wiis and maybe the brawl discs. Someone else needs to get the tvs. I wonder if DJ will let me borrow his. Some brawlers better start kissin his azz to let me bring them to this.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Why are your post so long lol.

And dude chil....breathe.

Edit: Again with the double post lol.
3 sentences long? One day you will graduate past picture books. Til that day, I will shorten them up just for you.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

;)

edit: my goodness; you really get annoyed by a double post. Its funny. Sorry I don't know how to quote someone once I've already made a post.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Character bias. Since there is no standard or way to realistically rate MU's without each board making the MU's different. Also @ low tiers, hardly any people have full experience in the MU for low tier v. low tier. This leads to somewhat inaccurate data gathered about a low tier v. low tier MU.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Character bias. Since there is no standard or way to realistically rate MU's without each board making the MU's different. Also @ low tiers, hardly any people have full experience in the MU for low tier v. low tier. This leads to somewhat inaccurate data gathered about a low tier v. low tier MU.
well, now that you offer reasons behind your statement I will grant that you are probably correct. Except, you still can't deny that some strategies that can't be used against high-tier characters, destroy the lower ones.

Like, who out of the low tiers has an effective way to counter samus's camping and zair? And Zelda's range is far superior to any of the other low tiers. Her wall of smashes works so much better in those match-ups than with other characters. It still stands that if you don't let the D tier in, those characters would dominate with little hardship.

but it doesn't matter, Foxy confirmed D-tier. Yay Foxy.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Like, who out of the low tiers has an effective way to counter samus's camping and zair?
They all do, it's called powershielding.
And Zelda's range is far superior to any of the other low tiers.
Zelda has like no range, just a bunch of disjoints. Bowser, Falcon, Ganon, Yoshi, Samus, and Link all outrange Zelda

Stockfield

Smash Champion
3 sentences long? One day you will graduate past picture books. Til that day, I will shorten them up just for you.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

;)

edit: my goodness; you really get annoyed by a double post. Its funny. Sorry I don't know how to quote someone once I've already made a post.

So I am pretty excited about doing low tiers now.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
They all do, it's called powershielding.

Zelda has like no range, just a bunch of disjoints. Bowser, Falcon, Ganon, Yoshi, Samus, and Link all outrange Zelda
well I guess if you were able to powershield perfect and approach perfectly then you wouldn't have a problem. But that's not realistic is it?

And I mispoke with Zelda. First of all, she does have surprising range. But I was more focusing on the quickness of her smashes in comparison to the other low tiers and how far they reach, in addition to the vacuuming effects of them.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Low Tier DUBZ?????? :awesome:
i wanna see how ganon does in low tier dubz. I would probably just run around the stage, jumping and doing reverse warlock punches.

edit: nvm; I would just do random up tilts and laugh it they ever hit someone.

edit 2: but I much prefer low tier singles. Get to run across the stage doing sheik Dacus stuff. Not to mention Sheik lock to 40%, then Zelda lock to 70%, then the sheik dacusing. Then if no-kill move sheik can't get a kill, come and uptilt with Zelda. Sounds fun.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
lol ur so strange... u're entertained by him being annoyed by your double posts, and then when he calls you a "****" u get all apologetic and sad...... ur like a fresh fawn.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
lol ur so strange... u're entertained by him being annoyed by your double posts, and then when he calls you a "****" u get all apologetic and sad...... ur like a fresh fawn.
i mean, I didn't want him to think I was actually insulting his intelligence......I'm so bad at this trolling thing. Teach me your ways 702.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
speaking of sheik.......I am kind of confused by the low MU between her and MK.

Like I've been playing with sheik more recently and it seems like she should have a good (45:55 or better) match-up against him. She locks him to about 45 and then gets a sweet spotted upsmash on him (putting him around 75 %). Then all she needs to do is get him to 90% (say, throw some salt/needles in his eyes, or chain an ftilt to uptilt). Then get 1 single grab on him, then its easy KO (grab release -> sweet spot KO). Seems like a pretty cut-and dry MU. Like I don't know what holds her back in it. She's just got to do 3 things. Get that first f-tilt. Do that 15% damage. Then get a grab. None of these things seems at all hard to do.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Hey someone bring me to this.This looks fun

and Crio are you goin to this?

TEAM WITH ME

My Peach and your Yoshi. <3

Stockfield

Smash Champion
speaking of sheik.......I am kind of confused by the low MU between her and MK.

Like I've been playing with sheik more recently and it seems like she should have a good (45:55 or better) match-up against him. She locks him to about 45 and then gets a sweet spotted upsmash on him (putting him around 75 %). Then all she needs to do is get him to 90% (say, throw some salt/needles in his eyes, or chain an ftilt to uptilt). Then get 1 single grab on him, then its easy KO (grab release -> sweet spot KO). Seems like a pretty cut-and dry MU. Like I don't know what holds her back in it. She's just got to do 3 things. Get that first f-tilt. Do that 15% damage. Then get a grab. None of these things seems at all hard to do.
Yeah but you're not putting into account player skill.

I mean it's like saying all i have to do with Snake is get a f-til and then one forward smash with and I pretty much take a stock of any character. It just doesn't work like that.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
let me clarify something

bill did not ever advertise billfests, there are just lots of UNC students that only went to billfests that don't go to anything else.

edit: and the only advertising maria did was actually advertising gamefrog did

well I guess if you were able to powershield perfect and approach perfectly then you wouldn't have a problem. But that's not realistic is it?
i'm bad at this game and if i spend 2-3min practicing i can powershield just about any projectile while walking forward, including falco and toon link.

also theorycrafting about low tier matchups is lulz

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Yeah but you're not putting into account player skill.

I mean it's like saying all i have to do with Snake is get a f-til and then one forward smash with and I pretty much take a stock of any character. It just doesn't work like that.
No, I am taking into account player skill. Your situation is completely different than mine. A fsmash with snake is next to impossible to hit (I think it stays out for only 2 frames.......and it is slow start up). Sheik, on the other hand, only has to do 3 things. Once she gets that ftilt, it should be guranteed to 75. Then she just has to land 1 or 2 moves. Then get 1 grab.

All of this is viable. its really only 4 things. Sheik's ftilt isn't too hard to get. She is quick as **** and should be able to get at least one move in. And her grab range is above average. This mode of combat is viable. Your situation with snake isn't. It would only work with a fully charged fsmash. And if someone got hit by that then they would deserve to lose.

Top Bottom