• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brawl Power Rankings (update: 10/28)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wait, are we just messin with the PRs now? We still need to do something about them anyways, but I don't think goofin off will change much lol.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Well there you go. Wait until some no name drops on in to one of our tourneys and won due to playing MK. The reaction would be worse than when Pp entered the arena.
The problem isn't that MK is unbeatable, it's just that he has no bad match-ups and no real weaknesses. He makes the meta-game dumb. Overall, brawl would be more deep without him.
I'm answering to both of you in one post.

Not true. PP has already won one tourney (STYKz) with MK, and everything was fine. Chillin used MK to win Jubilee, and no one cared. And at that same tournament, PP's MK was beat by Chillin's Falco. MK is beatable. God knows my MK is beatable. =P Toasty beat my MK in a mm. He wasn't sand-bagging, and they were all 1 stock, high percent matches. That means MK is good and easy to use, but still beatable. And, MK makes the meta-game richer because he's so good. He makes people want to find was to beat him, therefore making that character better and there meta-game deeper. Eventually, people will find something about MK and use it against him and abuse it, we just need to give it time. In Melee, Fox wasn't the best character after 5 months. Hell, he wasn't the best after 2-3 years. (Though I still think Sheik is #1, but accept Fox's placement.)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You mean that 5-person SC tournament? Errr...

Again, Chillin beat my MK for a few reasons:

1. Loads more experience (as a player and at the matchup, whereas I had no experience vs any Falco at that point, it was almost literally my first time playing against Falco).

2. I got nervous.

3. Chillin is freakin better than me (or at least the difference was very noticable then lol, now I'd make the matches at least pretty close).

Don't use me or you as examples please. We aren't higher level players (well....more or less, we aren't pro or semi-pro level). Use tournaments that M2K, Forte, Dojo, Kingace, etc players compete in. They main MK and understand him/play him often.

MK has very little to exploit, unlike Melee Fox or Sheik or Marth. Not great to compare characters in both games though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ohh wait ZIO, you talkin bout when I entered Melee for the first time? Yeah, I agree with that.

I was wonderin about that Crio, but that would mean that someone was late...wouldn't it?

What are we gonna do about the rankings Bill?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Heeyyyyyyy!!! What's that supposed to mean?

Nice sig bro.
Everyone hates losing to the new guy, is what that means. For people who have been in the community for so long to have to confront a new power like that is although welcome, very much not welocomed at the same time. But It's all good now. :laugh:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ohhhh, so people that I was a nub with a funny name, then good, then they hated me? That sucks. I have the suspicion that not everyone got over that either...

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It happens. I'm pretty sure I'm stil considered a nub, and rightfully so - I wasn't good in the first place and I gave up too soon.

But anyway. Defend MK all you want, for when M2K notes that MK is not what M2K approves of, then M2K will ask for MK to be banned as per M2K's request, if not everyone's. Get it? Got it? Good.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't like being disliked. I know I can't change it cuz people think what they want, but I'll always feel bad about it.

Did that part say anything lol.

lord karn

Smash Master
I'm answering to both of you in one post.

Not true. PP has already won one tourney (STYKz) with MK, and everything was fine. Chillin used MK to win Jubilee, and no one cared. And at that same tournament, PP's MK was beat by Chillin's Falco. MK is beatable. God knows my MK is beatable. =P Toasty beat my MK in a mm. He wasn't sand-bagging, and they were all 1 stock, high percent matches. That means MK is good and easy to use, but still beatable. And, MK makes the meta-game richer because he's so good. He makes people want to find was to beat him, therefore making that character better and there meta-game deeper. Eventually, people will find something about MK and use it against him and abuse it, we just need to give it time. In Melee, Fox wasn't the best character after 5 months. Hell, he wasn't the best after 2-3 years. (Though I still think Sheik is #1, but accept Fox's placement.)
Did you even read my post? @_@ I said that MK is beatable. There are several characters that can beat an MK if the player is better. However, none of those characters have an advantage against MK or are even neutral match-ups. The only richness MK adds, is an insane amount of research into ONE matchup that you still will be at a disadvantage in no matter how much you know it. I don't know why everyone thinks people will magically find a counter to meta. It's not going to happen. He's broken because his mechanics and attacks are broken and those won't change. Except for weight, he is the best or nearly the best in every way possible.

Comparisons to melee aren't that relevant. The whole melee community moved to brawl and there was a way bigger initial community working on developing brawl than there was in melee. Not to mention, melee took so long to develop because it is so technical. And even if fox is the best in melee, he is not so much better than the other good characters that he gets his own tier. While you can argue that fox had no bad matchups, marth, falco and sheik held there own. Even now, there is a lot of argument about who is actually the best. However, it is clear to anyone who knows anything about brawl that meta is the best character in the game. There is no strategic reason to play anyone in the game in almost any matchup than metaknight. That's not richness. I don't see why people want to struggle so hard to make a bad part about the game good, when they could just ban him and accept the good part.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
<3 LoZR...Dark Hart, you're a little misguided. Listen to Daddy Karn...I like where his head's at... BETWEEN MY THIIIIIGHHHS OOOHHH

I don't mind one way or the other YET because the only MKs I've lost to in tourney were actually better players than me period. It's only frustrating when matches against noob MKs get as close as they have.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Sorry Alex, I didn't mean you. Not even sure why I wrote your name down. Just tired I guess and was reading your post or soemthing... but no johns.

I was just answering ZIO and making my point on the subject. My fault, sorry for the misunderstanding everyone.

You mean that 5-person SC tournament?
Is this directed at me? If so, then no, I mean STYKz, you used MK to beat Alex's Snake.

And as for higher leveled players, look at the top 8 for every "large" EC tourney in the past few month and tell me how many MK's won.

But anyway. Defend MK all you want, for when M2K notes that MK is not what M2K approves of, then M2K will ask for MK to be banned as per M2K's request, if not everyone's. Get it? Got it? Good.
Well, I don't really give a **** what M2K thinks, that's just what I think.

I don't mind one way or the other YET because the only MKs I've lost to in tourney were actually better players than me period. It's only frustrating when matches against noob MKs get as close as they have.
Like me!!!!!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
"I don't know why everyone thinks people will magically find a counter to meta. It's not going to happen."

"I don't see why people want to struggle so hard to make a bad part about the game good, when they could just ban him and accept the good part."

Also, why do we have to ban MK to solve the problem? Why don't we wait and see what happens before we conclude that MK will never have a counter or a weakness that can be exploited and abused? You don't know it will never happen, so stop saying you do. Nobody knows what going to happen, people just want to get ride of him because they can't find a way around MK's "brokenness" yet. Why don't people want to give it some time? What's wrong with that? Why does he need to be banned right away?

If June '09 comes around, and he's completely taken over competitive play i.e. the meta-game and all top 8 at every other tournament, then he deserves to be banned, but we're not at that point yet.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@ ZIO: I fail at readin comprehension apparently, and I thought it was my strongest area lol.

@Karn: Yay!

@DH: Karn understood the game twice as well as I did back then. I did well vs his Snake using my Marth at the last Billfest.

LoZR- Brawl me then!

Bill- Solution?

Toasty-Suuuuuuup.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Forte wins, or at least places top 3 I believe, in most/all of the tournies he attends. Non-MK mainers rarely see that consistency.

Oh yeah, why the heck would we wait for him to entirely dominate the metagame anyway when we could stop him before he gets to that point?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Oh yeah, why the heck would we wait for him to entirely dominate the metagame anyway when we could stop him before he gets to that point?
I'm not saying we have to wait that long, I saying that is preposterous ban MK for that reason when it hasn't happened. I know nobody here is saying it, but a lot of people in the MK BAN Poll are, so I thought I'd bring that up. Also, MK has no losing match-ups, but all I'm really saying is that he's still beatable, until he's unbeatable, banning shouldn't even be an option.

Hard to say, they haven't been at the same events as frequently...it's entirely possible, though. Forte's a monster. Also: I simply answered your question.
I know, I remember things better if I write/type them.

Wow, I'm just getting killed here. Why does everyone hate MK so much?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You're only supposed to consider high-level matchups for this right? M2K beasts with Mk, Azen switches to MK for tough matchups, Forte ***** everything, Dojo ***** Santi, DSF switched to MK and says he's better off, OS switched to MK because he wanted to win and it was much easier. There's a common happening already at a higher level: people have to at least somewhat main Mk to stand a chance. That isn't right.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Nothing wrong with a stagnated metagame and underveloped characters and destroying competitiveness to only Mk dittos and whorenado?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dojo ***** Santi
I wish people would stop invoking this. The pot was split. Both of them knew beforehand that they would get equal shares. My understanding is that Santi was sandbagging in that set.

Top Bottom