• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N-air is Ganon's 2nd best aerial.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His best aerial is U-air, no questions asked. U-air covers the most options, autocancels, has great power and applications.

One of Ganon's biggest problems with his air game is his lack of good options for hitting below him safely. D-air would be good if Ganon had a lot more mobility and possibly some more disjointedness, but sadly, it falls short of that requirement and thus falls into obscurity as strictly a punish tool.

B-air is pretty good, except the autocanceled version only hits large characters.

F-air is pretty amazing...except it has massive ending lag and always gets punished on whiff.

So as I'm explaining, I'm quite convinced at this point that N-air is in fact Ganondorf's 2nd most useful aerial. It comes out almost as fast as his U-air, and like his U-air, it covers good options. It can hit in front, below, behind, and a bit above him. If you land this aerial and connect with it, it also sets up juggles nicely. What is probably most overlooked about this aerial is the fact it lingers, and this makes quite useful for shield poking opponents. That alone makes this aerial a valuable asset that Ganondorf must implement. If your opponent's shield is worn, and you find yourself jumping into them, this aerial can really get you out of tight situations. Its speed and hitbox makes it a good combo breaker too.

The massive range on N-air also makes it one of his best aerials for punishing whiffs. SHFFed N-airs work about as well as a typical spotdodge strategy if you are creative with it, and considering the juggling setup it provides, it's pretty worth getting this aerial in.

Generally speaking, I really think N-air is underestimated. It's not massively powerful (although you can do 18% landing both hits, more than Ganon's F-air), but its strength lies in the options it can cover, and the potential for it to work past shields better than anything else Ganondorf can do.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I don't use Nair a lot because almost every time it's impossible to connect all the hits. >_>

Although it's almost impossible to connect all the hits, Nair is an excellent move and I have to agree with your explanation about the usefulness of Nair.

Nice read dude.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Ehh, I say there are arguments for both B-air and D-air as Ganon's second best aerial.. I use thunderstorming ALOT just to space myself for a F-tilt, or Fsmash.. B-air has amazing priority, is very fast, and you can fast fall it to hit shorter chars, still with minimal landing lag..

i agree that N-air has its uses for me its normally a combo breaker, if im being combo'd from below a FF'd N-air has a good chance of hitting, but to use the N-air as an offensive move i have found pretty difficult.

You say N-air does 18%.. Well I can remember hitting with both of the kicks maaybe 2 or 3 times in a year... and that would only be at very close to 0%, and at 0% D-air can combo in to MANY things (D-air -> D-air -> U-air or D-air -> Uair) and if you lang a D-air on a fatty at 0% they should be expecting about 40 - 50%. I'd say its fair to say N-air on average does about 8- 7% making it the weakest of Ganon's aerials.

I do agree that N-air is overlooked, but to say its better then B-air and D-air is arguable. With B-airs priority, speed and power, and D-air being the strongest spike in the game (after like 15%) the ability to TS, its hard to argue that N-air is better IMO..

Not disagreeing really.. I agree N-air is overlooked, just hard to say its better..

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I see NAir as an entirely defensive move.
I can't imagine myself approaching with NAir (unlike BAir, DAir, UAir and (why not?) FAir). It DO have some good proprieties, like the "weak" tipman-like hit on the sourspot, leading to another moves or breaking combos and the juggling game set-up, but it can't be overused like UAir or DAir...
Also, even if it hits from afar and very fast, its priority is not something to be proud of... the second hit's even worse! It can be only used as a sexkick (thats the only way I use it...) to break some approaches and it's not very efficient against the whole roster (Pit gave a hello) D:

IMO, defensive move only. BAir as his second best aerial due to it's power, speed, priority and ending lag that, even if fast-falled, is very low...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Nair is Ganon's best aerial Juggling Tool.
It is allso an effective tool for linking other attacks together.
(Dair -> Nair -> Uair, for example.)

It can be used as a Combo Breaker, but Uair is a better Combo Breaker on heavy foes.

The fact that it doesn't Auto Cancel when SH'd sux.

Overall, imo, Nair isn't one of his best aerials.
But, it is indeed important to put it into your game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I see NAir as an entirely defensive move.
I can't imagine myself approaching with NAir (unlike BAir, DAir, UAir and (why not?) FAir). It DO have some good proprieties, like the "weak" tipman-like hit on the sourspot, leading to another moves or breaking combos and the juggling game set-up, but it can't be overused like UAir or DAir...
Also, even if it hits from afar and very fast, its priority is not something to be proud of... the second hit's even worse! It can be only used as a sexkick (thats the only way I use it...) to break some approaches and it's not very efficient against the whole roster (Pit gave a hello) D:

IMO, defensive move only. BAir as his second best aerial due to it's power, speed, priority and ending lag that, even if fast-falled, is very low...
B-air is very prone to whiffing on the slightest spacing mistake, which gets you punished, and it's landing lag is not good at all. N-air, B-air, and U-air all have identical landing lag as a matter of a fact, but N-air has the most range.

N-air's lingering hitbox means that if your opponent shields, and doesn't have a completely full shield, you have a high probability of poking their head, which matters more than anything. SH N-airs, while they never autocancel, are good punish tools due to the juggle setup and due to the natural properties of jumps allowing you to avoid some attacks. It's the closest thing Ganondorf has to a legitimate spotdodge strategy besides spotdodging at point blank range for a grab.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm with Bahamut, actually. Nair is best used in defense. Not necessarily retreating it all the time, but when you need to get someone off you in air-to-air combat. SH nair is not good unless they're at like 80, and many people will shield it anyway and then you get *****. Fullhop Nair is great but it's really only useful against larger/taller characters.

It's better than bair though b/c it IS marginally disjointed, lasts a long time and it can hit shorties if it has to, plus it hits a bit behind Ganon and covers a wider area as well, Even if it doesn't have the kill power of bair, it's a much more versatile move.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Ehh, I say there are arguments for both B-air and D-air as Ganon's second best aerial.. I use thunderstorming ALOT just to space myself for a F-tilt, or Fsmash.. B-air has amazing priority, is very fast, and you can fast fall it to hit shorter chars, still with minimal landing lag..

i agree that N-air has its uses for me its normally a combo breaker, if im being combo'd from below a FF'd N-air has a good chance of hitting, but to use the N-air as an offensive move i have found pretty difficult.

You say N-air does 18%.. Well I can remember hitting with both of the kicks maaybe 2 or 3 times in a year... and that would only be at very close to 0%, and at 0% D-air can combo in to MANY things (D-air -> D-air -> U-air or D-air -> Uair) and if you lang a D-air on a fatty at 0% they should be expecting about 40 - 50%. I'd say its fair to say N-air on average does about 8- 7% making it the weakest of Ganon's aerials.

I do agree that N-air is overlooked, but to say its better then B-air and D-air is arguable. With B-airs priority, speed and power, and D-air being the strongest spike in the game (after like 15%) the ability to TS, its hard to argue that N-air is better IMO..

Not disagreeing really.. I agree N-air is overlooked, just hard to say its better..
Quite Agreed.

That's why I don't use Nair a lot.

I was trying to perform some foolish combos with Nair in Brawl+, but I failed. Even with a relatively big Hitstun, it's impossible to connect all the hits of Nair every time. Even in Brawl+.

A2ZOMG, I'm not criticizing your explanation about Ganon's Nair, but you have to remember that Ganon's Nair is different from Falcon's Nair.

*@HomE: Honestly, you're one of the Best Posters that I have ever seen.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i used his nair a couple of times when jumping up from a ledge and when it hit my opponent with it's first hit it basically led straight into the other.... nair is good, but doesn't auto cancel on SH..... fair is great if you know how to connect with it, which i'm assuming most of you ganon mains know how to do....

definitely uair is on top because of good range, speed, knockback, and angle of knockback at ending...

bair/dair should be second though because they can be set up into really easily and deal great damage as well as pressure the opponent and speed...

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Nair KILLS campy olimars. No exaggeration, if you FH a Nair and then DJ Nair, you'll just annihilate any pikmin that isn't purple that is thrown at you.

stRIP

Smash Ace
Im using sooooooooooo much Nair since about...3 or 4 months

i should get some offline vids from me this weekend

and i've got the same opinion as A2ZOMG, it IS one if his best aerials

with more hitstun it would be a perfect combo starter :D

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I agree, I've been finding more and more uses for Nair. I often find myself using Nair instead of Uair at the end of Dair chains due to the lessened knockback, which may allow for one more aerial in the chain (if Fair lands after Nair, it can be devastating). If you Uair after a Dair chain, then you pretty much have no other options after that - the damage is done and it's back to the same old routine.

Also, I consider Dair to be more of a ground move than an aerial, seeing as its only practical use (besides spiking) is on the ground.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I actually use dair in double jumps sometimes and I can connect on tall characters with the second one, and even if it doesn't connect sometimes people jump to punish me [thinking I will land] and go for some aerial, and I intercept, and then FF for a stomp chase if they don't tech.

I like to use dair in the air, but nair is amazing on the edge, and it cancels a lot of projectiles off the edge that would otherwise force you to lose your momentum by air dodging. Kicking mario's water gun is also amazing. It has saved me before, especially if it connects when the last kick comes out, the sex-kick properties of it seem make it hang out for a minute, and Ganon doesn't move. Never really seen it done before, but it's probably well known. It's just useful.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I agree, I've been finding more and more uses for Nair. I often find myself using Nair instead of Uair at the end of Dair chains due to the lessened knockback, which may allow for one more aerial in the chain (if Fair lands after Nair, it can be devastating). If you Uair after a Dair chain, then you pretty much have no other options after that - the damage is done and it's back to the same old routine.

Also, I consider Dair to be more of a ground move than an aerial, seeing as its only practical use (besides spiking) is on the ground.
There's definitely a factor in how Nair can be mixed up from Uair, and how some responses to one of them are very dangerous if used after being hit by the other.

If the opponent doesn't hink quickly, you can seriously **** them just by surprising them.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How would you guys rank his aerials?

1. UAir
2. DAir
3. NAir
4. BAir
5. FAir <- (I can't believe I placed FAir at 5th place - I love FAir)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord

1. UAir
2. DAir
3. NAir
4. BAir
See the ******ness tier list for my ranking. :laugh: Whatever I put there, I stand by. ;)

TP

Smash Master
1) Uair
2) Fair
3) Nair
4) Bair
5) Dair <-Maybe I just suck at spikes

Fair is underrated and Dair is overrated in my opinion. Fair is the only way to approach someone like Toon Link who can just push you away if you get in close enough for a faster move.

:034:

@HomE

Smash Ace
1) Uair
2) Dair <- maybe I just love spikes
3) Bair
4) Nair
5) Fair <- Im teh suck with Fairs :(

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Fair is a pretty mediocre move imo. The fat that it will always have lag on the stage really minimizes it's uses unless the opponent is close the ledge and you can hit their shield/they don't spot dodge it. I also have believed Dair is super overrated for the longest time. I see people spamming it a lot, but it's super punishable on shield.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Not denying that, lol. I just think as a move it isn't that great. It's like upsmash, good for a crucial hit (which is good for a kill whereas dair is good for a combo) or autocancel baiting, but not really that versatile in its uses.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Fair is a pretty mediocre move imo. The fat that it will always have lag on the stage really minimizes it's uses
Ye. If it weren't for that huuuge lag, it'd place 2'nd on my list, no doubt.

SOOoooo PkmnMaster, nice avatar..

Wanna have breakfast sometime?

J/K if ur a dude
Of course she's a girl.
I mean... What GUY would name himself: PokemonMaster'IRL' ?

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Guys, Dair is amazing.
The fact that it is Super Punishable on shield doesn't take away all the other things that it excel in.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Ye. If it weren't for that huuuge lag, it'd place 2'nd on my list, no doubt.

Of course she's a girl.
I mean... What GUY would name himself: PokemonMaster'IRL' ?

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Guys, Dair is amazing.
The fact that it is Super Punishable on shield doesn't take away all the other things that it excel in.
Lol Z1g
<3

--------

Only one way to settle this aerial dispute, Me and Z1gma vs A2Z and PHan

Me and Z1g will only use Dair, and you 2 only use Nair... sounds like the most reasonable way to settle this... Infact we can do this with all his aerials to decide WHAT AERIAL REINS SUPREME!!!

Srsly tho breakfast?

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Lol Z1g
<3

--------

Only one way to settle this aerial dispute, Me and Z1gma vs A2Z and PHan

Me and Z1g will only use Dair, and you 2 only use Nair... sounds like the most reasonable way to settle this... Infact we can do this with all his aerials to decide WHAT AERIAL REINS SUPREME!!!

Srsly tho breakfast?
Thats my GF in my sig.

And I DAIR you to only use dair.

noradseven

Smash Lord
hmmmm I would have to put b-air as better than n-air, just because its a better poke in most matches. Which aireals I use highly depends on a matchup.

u-air against everyone.
N-air against people who like to be in the air more.
b-air versus ground planted characters.
f-air for low shield characters(well spaced it shield pokes like a *****, but still its situational, even on people with bad shields)
d-air for punishing mistakes.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
BAir is hard to hit with (safely or at all if they duck) against a lot of the cast though, since you have to fast fall it.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
BAir is hard to hit with (safely or at all if they duck) against a lot of the cast though, since you have to fast fall it.
If your BAir is poking, your opponent is Doing It Wrong.

Or, like, we need to see vids of that.

I'm trying to use FAir's full hitbox now. You know there's a spot under Ganon where you can knock people behind you, and it gets the sweetspot damage. It's the very end of his fist arc, so that he's punching it, seemingly straight backwards.

And as we know, there's a bubble behind Ganon at the start, though it's the weak hit. It can still kill, and it's very tall.

I'm thinking there has to be some way to lure your opponent into playing in such a way that the FAir box can actually be used. It's bad that it covers such a large area, but all but a tiny part of it is made irrelevant...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

1. UAir
2. DAir
3. NAir
4. BAir
U-air
N-air
B-air
F-air
D-air

D-air is mediocre. You can never actually use this attack unless your opponent screws up (well, you have to call screwups in general with Ganon). D-air can NEVER be used offensively in any shape or form, and it's outprioritized easily by so much stuff that just has more range. The only time D-air is "good" is against people who roll forwards a lot, and out of Flame Choke (although that requires prediction). Oh and of course, spiking with it.

B-air is kinda alright in fullhop mixups, but it's horrible hitbox means it's super predictable most of the time.

F-air would be better than B-air if it didn't have such massive landing lag, and in my honest opinion, it's a more "essential" move than B-air in several matchups. Its massive range, priority, damage, and knockback make it a crucial spacing tool to master.

Top Bottom