• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery Dungeon--The PT Interview Thread: TYPH

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Outback? Lol nooooooo. South Australia Smash scene sucks. Melbourne and Sydney are where it's at. Come stop by in Australia, Ice ****. =D
haha well will do vermy and pardon the outback comment Im from NY I do not know the layout of australia very well. But I really hope I can man and btw jus call me **** or CoonTail figuring thats my actual gamertag and I just dunno how to change my smashboards name. Lol my real name is Brian but I call everyone that plays smash by their gamertag.........so in short jus **** or CoonTail works fine. Too bad IRL just hates my SWF name so much lol.

Also mata I believe you posted a video recently with squirtle that had a baby bowser texture hack......any chance you can tell me where you got it???

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Is there any matchups where you think to yourself, dam im busting out ivysaur first.

Are you moving away after full sail or staying in FL for a while? :cool:

If pokemon trainer became so good he was banned from tournaments, who else would you use?

If i considered maining diddy full time would you be excited?
ha well sometimes DDD if im not feeling to hot with squirtle. but I'll try playing her with everyone to get a better feel. I am getting more comfortable though.

Depends on where and when i get a job :p I'm sure i'll have extra money if i have to stay for a bit so dont worry i'll be around for a bit longer (graduate in may ;))

hmm well for higher tier i'd want probably say luigi. always thought he was cool, but if lower DK or Ike :)

I'd probably just tell you to play someone else ha cause i get sick of fighting them :p

Mata, your compositing is VERY professional-looking. My hat's off to you. Hmm...whaddaya think about sometime doing some compositing for a short film of mine?

And what do you like so much about Goldeneye?

Why is Goldeneye better than newer Bond console games?
hell yeah i'd love to do that. its always fun learning stuff :) Im on AIM most of the time just im me. Polyamorous527 or if you dont use it much we can email or something.

Well I like GE so much because i've been playing it for about 11 years now. I'm speedrun single player. About 30th in the world. (was 20th back in the day) but now a days i play multi a lot. I placed 2nd in a international tournament so that makes me a top US player for it.

GE is better then new bond games because 1. they aren't made by rare i believe and 2. the original kicks *** and is more fun ha. just a personal choice...

Also mata I believe you posted a video recently with squirtle that had a baby bowser texture hack......any chance you can tell me where you got it???
yeah that wasn't me ;)

Mata, what's your favourite pokemon?
Has to be Rapidash or Pidgeot. My very first pack of pokemon cards i bought, i got a 1st edition holographic pidgeot. I was pretty pumped. Just really like him over all and thought he was a pretty solid pokemon for a catching pidgeys early on.
Rapidash because i've always thought he was really cool looking and the whole idea of a fire horse stuck out. I think he was the fastest pokemon if im not mistaken. could be wrong. but I just liked him a lot.

What's up with the ostrich avatar?
ha well, i just found it pretty funny. He's riding an ostrich and is super intense raising his hand and probably yelling "YEAAAAHHHH!!!!!" im sure it'll get changed to something more dumb

X-FACTOR

Smash Journeyman
Ah! Good ol' Mata...

Hopefully you'll be staying in FL a bit longer.

I love Pokemans, but for some reason I didn't pick him up, did you always play with him right off the bat?

Are you still playing GE? Surprisingly enough, NE has a few GE players. One of them is one of our top snake players. You should talk to him some time.

How's Final project going? You better get above an 85% so you can be shown. Your compositing is really good from what I remember. Make sure you keep your skills up, after graduating I haven't been in Maya to much, although I have been in PS more often. If things go well I should have that government contracted job with Allyce, and will be moving back down.

Your right! without Fl we'd totally suck at smash, how did you come across the smash scene, and what made you decide to stick with it? Eventually forming our smash crew with Virg,<3( less than three ), Zyzzx, and me.

Smash and GE are completely different, are you just an all-around gamer, or do you just like being competitive?

Could you see yourself getting competitive with any other game?

Seeing as we are becoming young adults, with college soon behind us, having to pay bills, and getting paid salary wages, How long do you think you will be playing Smash competitively? I notice the more tourneys I go to, the younger the crowd gets. Eventually there will be a time we have to throw in the towel, and life's priority will get us.

How's it feel to be one of the best, if not thee best PT in FL? (well, from the PT I know of at least)

Ok so I've bombared you with enough questions, stay in contact I'm sure I'll see you out in the industry. Who knows, we may be working on the same movie/game etc... some day.

One final one.....

[X]Factor sends out Nana, and uses fissure....what are you gonna do?

(What do you think about this MU? AREN'T IC AWSEOME!!!)

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Ah! Good ol' Mata...

Hopefully you'll be staying in FL a bit longer.

I love Pokemans, but for some reason I didn't pick him up, did you always play with him right off the bat?

Are you still playing GE? Surprisingly enough, NE has a few GE players. One of them is one of our top snake players. You should talk to him some time.

How's Final project going? You better get above an 85% so you can be shown. Your compositing is really good from what I remember. Make sure you keep your skills up, after graduating I haven't been in Maya to much, although I have been in PS more often. If things go well I should have that government contracted job with Allyce, and will be moving back down.

Your right! without Fl we'd totally suck at smash, how did you come across the smash scene, and what made you decide to stick with it? Eventually forming our smash crew with Virg,<3( less than three ), Zyzzx, and me.

Smash and GE are completely different, are you just an all-around gamer, or do you just like being competitive?

Could you see yourself getting competitive with any other game?

Seeing as we are becoming young adults, with college soon behind us, having to pay bills, and getting paid salary wages, How long do you think you will be playing Smash competitively? I notice the more tourneys I go to, the younger the crowd gets. Eventually there will be a time we have to throw in the towel, and life's priority will get us.

How's it feel to be one of the best, if not thee best PT in FL? (well, from the PT I know of at least)

Ok so I've bombared you with enough questions, stay in contact I'm sure I'll see you out in the industry. Who knows, we may be working on the same movie/game etc... some day.

One final one.....

[X]Factor sends out Nana, and uses fissure....what are you gonna do?

(What do you think about this MU? AREN'T IC AWSEOME!!!)
****it X factor...

Right off the bat i played Link and ZSS. I kept losing to my bro who used snake for some reason...

Yes i play GE. I dont contact noob GE players...they contact me.

finals are going good. and dont worry everything is under control ;)

well i came across smash in FL by my ****ing annoying *** roommate. he heard some guy was looking to play smash with people and told me. Told the guy i was pretty good and started playing with everyone. Eventually meeting with your stupid ice climbers...

Young adults? I'm older then you :p dont worry im sure i'll be playing wherever there is a tourney.

Well Kith and I are the best...We are actually on a pretty even scale. Both our PT styles are very different and the way we use our pokemons. Its fun doing friendlies and just showing each other some skills

I'm going to repeatable beat the **** out of nana and you're going to watch and enjoy every moment.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I'm going to repeatable beat the **** out of nana and you're going to watch and enjoy every moment.
Do it. Vids or it didn't happen. I hate those motherf*cking ****** ****** demons.

fyi, hydrograb is **** on them.....if you can land it.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Zigsta, what type of films or short films do you like to work on? How long have you been doing it?

Also what character do you play against the most and what advice would you give with facing them?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Vermy said:
Where/how did you get your name?
When Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II came out for GCN in...7th grade, I think it was...I knew I wanted to be a HUmar with shades and a blue afro. I was sitting in class talking to my two friends who were also planning on getting the game, and we were talking about names. The name "Zigsta" just came to me within literally seconds of them asking me.

Thinking back on it, I probably picked that name because "Zig" derives from the fact that I always draw a zigzag underneath my name whenever I sign something, and the "-sta" most likely comes from "gangsta." Which I clearly am.

Since then, I've used the name "Zigsta" in just about every game I play, both online and offline.

Player-4 said:
Is it true that Squirtle will evolve into Bulbasaur when given an everstone?
Sadly no. A baby Bulbasaur grows from the nourishment its bulb secretes, and a Squirtle-turned-Bulbasaur would secrete more water-based nourishment, causing for the valuable minerals within the bulb to become saturated to the point of them being nonexistent.

PhantomX said:
How much Pass the Squirtle does a Ganon have to play to stay in shape?
He doesn't need to Pass the Squirtle at all! First of all, he's already buff enough from having to lug around that sword all the time. And second of all, it's just downright mean to pass poor Squirtle. :(

Mata said:
Zigsta, what type of films or short films do you like to work on? How long have you been doing it?
It's funny you asked me this, 'cuz just the other day my roomie said "Chris, why do you make such happy films?". It's true; I'm drawn to films with a moral. Films to me are an escape from reality, and I want the people who see my films to go away feeling pleased they took the time out of their day to watch it.

That said, I'm also drawn to tragedy. True character is revealed in times of hardship, and I enjoy writing characters that come from tragic pasts, thus linking them in ways deeper than their surface.

It's my dream to work at Pixar. I love watching all of their films, and I enjoy watching the commentaries on each DVD. The writers at this place are just phenomenal--each and every scene pushes the story forward. Nothing's wasted. And the detail they put into making even minor characters appealing...it really does send chills up my spine. I've researched the company very heavily and am the first to argue against people who say Pixar is just about "milking a franchise." It's a company run by creative people like me, with the legendary John Lasseter at the helm. When I live in Los Angeles this summer and intern at the Walt Disney Studios, it's my goal to meet with John Lasseter and pitch him my screenplay "Gate," which I hope to be able to create at Pixar in the future.

I've also been working on a fantasy epic called Bermuda Pirates, set in the underwater world of the Bermuda Triangle, ever since 8th grade. My pitch to the head of the UTLA program was so impressive to him that he bumped me from number 15 on the waitlist to actually being invited into the 30-man program this summer. It's my dream to see this trilogy realized. It will be the next big thing, guarnteed.

I'd also love to direct a live-action Pokemon movie. I've written 50 pages worth of fan fiction on a previous website, and it was so successful that I had random people thanking me for being born, and one fan even printed all the pages out and bound them together so he could read it whenever he pleased. My friends and fans give me a lot of compliments on my battle-creating skills.

As far as shorts I've created, my most successful by far has been "Timeout." I made it my senior year in high school, where it won 3rd place at the National Level in the PTA Reflections Contest before being screened at many film festivals across the nation. It was also played twice a week in Louisiana and Florida. I haven't been able to make shorts since then for film festival entry, but I've made some shorts for practice/fun since then. I've mainly been studying on my own. I buy a lot of books and software ranging from royalty free layered music to compositing to camerawork.

My first "film" class wasn't until college, but I was in my high school's broadcasting class my junior and senior year. Senior year I was selected as one of two interns throughout the parish for Channel 13 Television, where I served as an editor and cameraman. Since then, I've worked full-time during the summer as an editor and cameraman at the station during the summer, where I'm known as "Chris Spielberg."

So tl;dr, I'm living a dream being able to create the vision I see within my head come to life, and I can't wait to work in the industry after college. I really feel like this is something I was just born to do with every fiber of my being.

Steeler said:
why is golduck your favorite pokemon?
Contrary to Golduck being my signature Pokemon, she's actually my second favorite Pokemon to Rhydon.

Blue's my favorite color, so I was drawn to Golduck pretty quickly. I just love how she's animated (I refer to Golduck as a "she" because mine is, haha.)--her icy stare is so serious, yet other Golduck have also been shown to be rather arrogant and almost goofy in the anime, and the cool ones just ooze confidence in a way I don't see other Pokemon behave.

Golduck is also by far the most enjoyable Pokemon for me to write about. With her Water, Ice, and Psychic powers, I've use many different combinations, such as collecting moisture in the air with Psychic and freezing it to distract enemies and even Psychically levitating her own Hydro Pump so she can freeze it and carve it with Psychic to create a massive ice spear she wields with her Psychic powers. In my stories, Golduck is always the calm voice of wisdom and my most trusted partner who can speak telepathically with me.

I also love how Psyduck is just so utterly goofy and borderline useless, yet through hard work, even a Psyduck can grow up to be a success. In that sense, Golduck is a lot like me, or the me I'm striving for every day.

tofer_booboo said:
Is it true that Pass the Squirtle has become an offical olympic sport?
Dang, that's news to me. Pending its approval, I nominate PhantomX and Espy to Team USA.

Espy Kasrani said:
How many Ivysaur does it take to KO Dojo?
At least 20 fresh ones. If only Ivysaur could evolve, I'd Sleep Powder him!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Oh ****, Zigsta?!?? That legendary PT?!???

10OMGs

Um...when squirtles goes inside his shell, is there like...a room in there? Does he decorate it?

Oh and,...what's the PT strategy for 'THE ANSWER' (the answer obviously being kirbicide)?

T-block

B2B TST
I almost feel bad asking these serious questions now

What's your favourite matchup and why?
What's your least favourite matchup and why?
What is PT's worst matchup in your opinion?
What is your favourite stage to CP to, if the matchup doesn't strongly call for a specific stage?
Is there one move, sequence of moves, or specific tactic that you think other PTs should be doing more?

...what's your favourite syrup?

Hyro

Smash Lord
zigsta:

if metaknight has one then how to go wolf if you don't ferris wheel?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Steeler said:
so why is rhydon your favorite then??
Rhydon's my favorite because he saved me from a stream of nightmares I had for years when I was younger that happened every Christmas Eve. Here's the deal:

Every year for five years in a row, ending a year after Pokemon Red Version came out, the nightmare would start at the very beginning and then progress just slightly farther before I woke up. I always looked forward to Christmas Day for obvious reasons, but I also dreaded it because I knew the nightmare would come.

My family (mom, dad, younger brother, and golden retriever) arrived at the North Pole. But when we got there, no one was there. No Santa Claus. No Mrs. Claus. No reindeer. Not even any elves. Then Jack Frost appeared in midair. I could tell just by looking at him that he was pure evil. He told us he killed everyone in the North Pole. It was now his territory, and we were next for trespassing on his territory. He backed us up against the side of Santa's workshop. My dad stepped up to defend the family, and Jack Frost killed him effortlessly. Then my mom ran forward. Jack Frost cursed her, with every curse word making her grow smaller and smaller until she disappeared. He made my brother melt. Then he turned my golden retriever Champ's head into a dolphin head and his tail into a hammerhead shark head so that the shark head was constantly trying to eat the dolphin head.

At this point in my life, I was learning how to control my nightmares. I used to get them a LOT when I was younger, and I realized that if I focused hard enough, I could affect the outcomes of my dreams. I used to die often during them, but I realized I could come out alive with practice. So that year, I practiced hard so that I could finally stop the Jack Frost Christmas Eve nightmare. I tested my theory by designing a "Blue Dog" illustration in my art class. I decked out the dog in elf attire and named his Frostbite. My hypothesis was that if I thought hard enough for this dog to be Jack Frost's dog, he would appear in my nightmare. So back to the story:

Jack Frost moved to me next. His dog Frostbite appeared next to him, meaning my hypothesis was right. What happened next I'll never forget. Just as Jack Frost and Frostbite were about to reach me, a grey horn came spinning out from the ground. They lept back as a Rhydon emerged roaring from the snowy ground. The villains just stood there, stunned. Rhydon reared back his tail and sent them flying into the sky in one fell swoop. He turned to me and slowly disppeared. When he left, my family all returned back to normal, and the citizens of the North Pole returned.

And ever since then, I have never dreamed about Jack Frost or even Rhydon. What's funny is that he protected me when I needed him most, and I didn't even expect him to. I had saved myself from my nightmares countless times that year, but this time Rhydon saved me. Ever since then, he's been my favorite Pokemon. He's like my ****** guardian angel.

JoWii said:
Um...when squirtles goes inside his shell, is there like...a room in there? Does he decorate it?
No way, silly. Only Squirtle's Pokeball is decorated. Unfortunately for him, I don't let him stay in there very long. My Squirtle suffers from thin skin, though, so he gets cold really easily, which is why he likes coming in and out of his shell so much--it's much warmer in there.

JoWii said:
Oh and,...what's the PT strategy for 'THE ANSWER' (the answer obviously being kirbicide)?
Psh, that's easy peezy lemon squeezy:

Squirtle: Water Gun you and laugh
Charizard: Curb stomp you
Ivysaur: Run and use down B

I'll answer the rest of the questions later today, if I have time. Gotta go read a screenplay and write a report for class.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
T-block said:
I looooooove the DK matchup, particularly the Charizard-DK MU. I've played a lot of DK last year since my roomie mained him, and DK's a relatively straightforward character to play against. He kills Squirtle at very low percents and easily outranges him, but mindgaming DK into juggling combos is oh so rewarding. <3 It's without a doubt my most confident MU.

Mata said:
Also what character do you play against the most and what advice would you give with facing them?
I forgot to answer this. XD

As a whole, I've probably played against DK the most. My advice is to start Charizard and abuse him as best as you can. If he Ground Pounds, nail him in the kisser with a Rock Smash. If he spams up B on Yoshi's Island, pepper him with Flamethrower. Don't approach him when he's planking--stay far back. If he decides to up B off the ledge towards you, either predict where he's gonna finish and grab him (or fsmash him if you're rather confident) or Flamethrower him. Just don't use Flamethrower close to him, or else he'll Headbutt you. Ouch. Nair to Rock Smash or nair to grab him all day. If he jumps in front of you, fair him--all DK can do in this situation is Giant Punch, fair, or nair, and Charizard's fair comes out faster and has more range. DK's also fairly easy to spike; just don't get caught in his up B.

Now recently...I'd probably say I've played Ganon the most. I played PX's Ganon a LOOOOT last semester, and I easily say Squirtle can do some hard wrecking if you know what you're doing. At low percents, up throw to upair strings combo Ganon well, but past that point, you're better off mixing it up against Ganon in midair. What a lot of people don't realize when they think of Ganon is that he's more than just a character with a killer dair. What you really need to watch out for is his reverse upair offstage. It's important to mix up your recovery against a good Ganondorf, as he can gimp Squirtle at very, very low percents with that move. I almost always beat Ganon players if Squirtle doesn't get gimped by reverse upair first stock. Bottom line is this: Hit Ganon with a flurry of attacks, and get out before he can hit you back. Don't trade hits; you'll lose.

Most answers likely on Wednesday, as I have film classes from 10 AM-11PM tomorrow.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
T-block said:
Hmm, that's a tough one. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say Snake. He pretty much negates Charizard, and since I rely on Squirtle and Charizard for most of my matchups, having to actually rely on Ivysaur is difficult. Plus with Squirtle, we have to get in up close, and Snake can easily shield > uptilt us.

T-block said:
Probably Marth. A halfway decent Marth that knows how to abuse his grab releases on Squirtle is tough enough to deal with, let alone a high-level Marth who knows how to crush poor Squirtle. Marth ***** Ivysaur up close, so we have to keep our distance, which will only allow Marth to tipper his attacks easier. And Marth's fair handles Charizard fairly easily.

Snake's a close second for the reasons in my previous question, and MK's probably third.

T-block said:
What is your favourite stage to CP to, if the matchup doesn't strongly call for a specific stage?
I counterpick Pokemon Stadium 1 a lot. It's not particularly a stage that makes PT shine, but it was one of my favorite stages to play on in Melee, so I feel comfortable there. I also like using the windmill for combos and messing around on the leftmost edge of the stage when it's in its rock formation, ie using up B to grab the upper ledge and then dropping down with a dair, should someone actually approach. It's fun to wall cling on the walls there with Squirtle, too. :p The stage also encourages camping, so I tend to go there against grab-heavy characters.

More questions later. Gotta go make up some storyboards for a shoot this weekend.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok Zigsta......who do you think your strongest pokemon is and in what matchups do you think Ivy is a real option not just a semi decent one if you know how to play Ivy.

Also as I ask everyone are you a rocksmash counter-attacker and if so whats the best RS counter you've pulled off?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
T-block said:
Is there one move, sequence of moves, or specific tactic that you think other PTs should be doing more?
Abuse shorthop nair with Charizard. Most people don't realize it has no lag since the old way to play Charizard was to constantly fair onstage. And you can throw a LOT out of it. Even against people who know it autolags, I'll still use it a lot, and sometimes even as a mindgame. Nair in place, and if they shield, grab or Rock Smash them. It's so satisfying.

Also, if there's one of the three Pokemon (as there often is) you don't feel comfortable with the MU, don't be afraid to immediately switch. Be confident in your stronger Pokemon. Expect to be punished for the switch. If you feel your strongest if Squirtle, practice your DI your Squirtle can live longer than expected. I've been told that my Squirtle survives longer than all my other characters somehow, haha.

T-block said:
...what's your favourite syrup?
Haha, glad you asked!

My favorite kind of syrup has always been Log Cabin maple syrup. I've tried other brands of maple syrup and other flavors of syrup, but they just don't taste as good. I prefer my syrup to be thick, not runny, as it will stay on the food better and not run off all over my plate.

T-block said:
What's Pass the Squirtle? =o
Only the most painful and heartbreaking thing I've experienced as Squirtle.

I was at a weekly Austin Smashfest, and San Antonio decided to come, too. Later that night, we started The Ganon Challenge, where one person plays against 3 Ganons with team attack off on Smashville. The goal is to see how many Ganons you can kill before you lose all three of your stocks.

So I'm thinking Squirtle could do well here. He's light, and he almost always lives to high percents for me. And on top of that, I have a lot of experience playing PX's Ganondorf. The three Ganons I go up against are PhantomX, Espy, and a fellow Austinite named Alpaca.

I start off pretty well. I'm running hard with nairs, Water Gun, and jabs. A dtilt mixup once. Then PX goes, "GRAB THE SQUIRTLE!!" I scream and run harder. I get grabbed. PX yells, "PASS THE SQUIRTLE!!!" I get pummeled, then grab released...and another Ganon grabs me. The process continues for minutes until I'm around 80% or so, and I get dashed out of grab release. PX bellowed his victorious war cry.

Now I will never use Squirtle in The Ganon Challenge ever again.

And now in Austin, whenever we play doubles, people always want to play Pass the Squirtle. :(

Hyro said:
zigsta:

if metaknight has one then how to go wolf if you don't ferris wheel?
Hyrulian Johns, I gotta say, I have no clue what you're talking about.

But I do know that you bi, and you eat poo and diarrhea.

Get at me at the Death Valley tourney, son!

Ice_coon45 said:
Ok Zigsta......who do you think your strongest pokemon is and in what matchups do you think Ivy is a real option not just a semi decent one if you know how to play Ivy.
My strongest Pokemon is definitely Squirtle, although some people say my Charizard is, depending on the MU. If I don't have a very good feel for the MU, Charizard usually outperforms Squirtle, but once I play the MU more often, I understand that character's hitboxes, so it's easier to evade them with Squirtle.

As for Ivysaur...I really don't practice him that much, mainly since most of the people I play with here in Austin either play characters that Ivysaur gets ***** by or Squirtle/Charizard play better against. The MUs I'll use Ivysaur in are usually Ike, Bowser, Ganon, Falco, ICs, Dedede, Zelda, and DK. Reasons being:

If Ike knows the grab releases on Squirtle, we die really quickly.

Bowser grabs Squirtle very, very easily and then ***** him.

Ganon's such a bad character that Ivysaur has an advantage against him. If I really want to win, though, I'll switch Ivysaur quickly, just usually not immediately.

Ivysaur can easily survive Falco's CG to spike with his tether.

Switching immediately against ICs will get your Charizard CG'd 9 out of 10 times. That said, ICs can 0-death Ivysaur very, very easily.
Thanks Hylian. XD

Dedede has to approach you to beat you. Just spam Razor Leaf and bair and run hard. If he's offstage, eat his jumps with bair, but don't get too ballsy here. Play if safe and run that timer.

Zelda's a garbage character.

DK gets ***** pretty hard by Bullet Seed and hates projectile spam. That said, I feel more confident in the Charizard-DK matchup, followed by the Squirtle-DK matchup, so if I really wanna win, I'll switch Ivysaur pretty quickly.

Ice_coon45 said:
Also as I ask everyone are you a rocksmash counter-attacker and if so whats the best RS counter you've pulled off?
I used to not be, but I've become one thanks to reading, largely from Mata, how Rock Smash breaks up attacks.

I really can't remember a favorite moment off the top of my head, but I really enjoy surprising people with it. I did it against Light's Shiek when he had me in a ftilt lock, and he was surprised 'cuz he didn't know I knew how to do it. Then this week I did it against a friend's Kirby when he was trying to combo me out of dthrow--he had no idea Rock Smash did that, haha.

PokemonMasterIRL said:
Zigsta for Rookie of the Year?

I think so.
Dang, Miles, I really appreciate that. <3

I've been working really hard this year to improve as a Brawl player, and I'm very grateful for being invited into the PTBR.

I'll try my hardest to keep improving. We all have plenty of room for it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Vermy, where'd you get your name from?

Why do you enjoy metal?

T-block

B2B TST

Vermy

Smash Champion
Huzzah! I get attention. ^_^

your favorite pokemon and why :D
Growlithe/Arcanine lineage has always been my favourite. I consider myself neither a "dog person" nor a "cat person" exclusively, I just love both in general, and Growlithe looked like a mix of both. Arcanine was pretty amazing in Gen 1 as well, since Sp Atk and Atk hadn't been separated yet. Also you could just evolve Growlithe hella early and have sick stats by the time you got to level 100. I'm hoping for a 3rd stage of him in 5th gen, he totally deserves it, and there are nowhere near enough fire pokémon. Other notable mentions are Squirtle, (my first starter to **** all the Charizards everywhere) Duskull and Feraligatr.

Vermy, where'd you get your name from?
I answered this question a while back, aaand here's teh answer for all of you curious.

I had a thing for latin waaaaay back when I was a yung un. Especially animal names. As a kid my dad called me "little dragon" mainly because I had a bit of a rat tail thing goin on with my hair. Looking into dragonic folklore, Dragons were also called worms/wyrms. The latin word for "worm" is Vermis. Vermis with 1 "i" was taken on most forums/email accounts so I added a second one. After a while people abbreviated it, and now I just go by Vermy. =)

Why do you enjoy metal?
I've been listening to "heavy metal" since i was very young. My mum listened to a lot of KISS and AC/DC, and so i inherited that trait. During high school, when your identity means everything, I found myself somewhat sickened by the same crap being recycled over and over again in commercial music. To me, metal had, and still has a lot more depth and meaning to it. You can feel more emotions in the guitars, drums and vocals than you can with Pop etc. The lyrics also variate a lot more than people think. For example, not all metal is hate music. A lot of it is political stand points, speak of independence, and the right to be who you want to. Really hits home for me. =)

My favourite matchup lately would probably be vs Lucario. Lucario is really good at controlling space, but watching him adjust when you switch is really interesting. You can't play your traditional uair/utilt juggles with Squirtle, since he's so floaty. His fsmash goes through Rocksmash, so it's not wise to spam it here, and Razor leaf is quicker than his uncharged aura sphere. So it forces you to play differently than you would against say, Falco. It also feels like a very even matchup, and that's good for a change lol.

Marth. This weekend gone, I encountered one in pools. And he played the matchup right. At 80%, Squirtle tripped, got grabbed and Fsmash tippered. I'd been so careful, and had tacked on the damage, and one trip cost me the match. Stupid sh*t like that in a match up makes all your hard work redundant, in an already difficult matchup. The match is just soul crushing to play against a Marth who knows how to play it properly.

Marth or D3. Marth shuts down almost everything we have with sh Fair. Can punish any whiffed move with a grab or dancing blade and of course all the stupid sh*t with grab releases. D3 isn't anywhere near as complex, but it's still depressing. I told a friend of mine who recently picked up D3 to throw waddle dees and wait and perfect shield grab everything i did, and he 2 stocked me first go. Before that i was 3 stocking him. The matchup is simple, start Squirtle, hit first, run like hell and watergun camp.

Used to be Pirate Ship when that was legal. Still legal in teams in certain regions, so I use that when I can. Since you can't get gimped, hydrograb dthrows kill nice and early, we get zero switches at certain points, and ivysaur is actually viable on that stage. Nowadays it's probably be delfino. Delfino has a lot of interesting tricks that Squirtle can do, and watching your opponent rage at a hydrograb release>jab combo kill at the edge of the stage is priceless. Also, on the island transformation, you can hydrograb release into the water and get a free semi charged dsmash on your opponent sitting helplessly in the water.

Squirtle:
- Fthrow jab lock at early %. People are still falling for this, abuse their ignorance.
- Dair oos.
- Retreating Dair to apply shield pressure.
- You can never use enough watergun. Use it to pressure, space, camp and generally piss off your opponent.
- Psyche out your opponent with shellshifting followed by walking. Confuses the crap outta them.
- Hydrograb is relatively safe if you miss and just jab/spotdodge after, since you keep the slide.

Ivysaur:
- More dtilt. Dtilt is amazing. Especially as an edgeguard.
- More bulletseed in the air as a gtfo move.
- Bulletseed opponents who glide over you, it's lol and it's free damage.
- Razorleaf chase more. Throw out a slow leaf, chase after it and tech chase your opponent with a grab, dash attack or another leaf.
- Stutterstep fsmash
- Charge fsmash. This gets me 50% of my kills with ivy.

Charizard:
- More nair
- More dtilt
- More fair vs Wario
- More bair spacing. It's got similar range to ftilt, but it's quicker.
- Charge dsmash vs roll spammers.
- Short burst flamethrower is amazing. Especially vs Marth. Most will try upb out of it, so short burst flamethrower, dash back, and punish.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
arcanine has the highest base stats of any "normal" pokemon so i highly doubt it will evolve...:p

Top Bottom