• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Recovery tier list.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Why does nobody ever address Pit's glide? My whole argument basically revolves around the use of his glide to recover. Unlike his Up-B, it's quick and very hard to gimp- not to mention it can be used to travel just as far horizontally. The vertical distance depends on the momentum, but it's usually more than enough to get you back to the stage. And what of Pit's 3 mid-air jumps? R.O.B. only has one jump before relying on his Up-B, which can still be guarded against despite R.O.B. being able to attack out of it. R.O.B. may be able to stall in the air longer than Pit, but he's still a big target regardless. Plus, then you have to consider Pit's high-priority glide attack to deter potential edgeguards as part of his recovery.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
ROB > Pit, IMO.

Pit has 3 midair jumps. They don't cover very much distance though. His 4 jumps in total barely go further than ROB's 2.

Glide is good. Definitely. But it is not better than ROB's up b. It is definitely faster, but you have less control over yourself (you can only go up and down while moving forward; ROB can go in any direction during his up b). It's only viable for horizontal distance gaining, also.

During glide you only have 4 options; angle up, angle down, glide attack, cancel glide. ROB can use any aerial out of his up b, which can be used to protect him from projectiles as his aerials have pretty good priority. He can also move in ANY direction. After using an aerial, his up b is deactivated and he is free to do anything as normal. Up b is reactivatable.

Now if you add the up b, Pit can cover more distance. However his up b is a lot less safe. If you get hit out of it, you are dead. Against anyone with a semi spammable projectile, you are in danger.

Also you have to use it all at once. With ROB you can dole out the fuel over time, instead of being restricted to an amount of time, you're restricted to an amount of fuel. This is more versatile.

TP

Smash Master
Ganondorf should not be below Link. I believe Ganon can get back on stage from lower than where Link can grab the ledge from, he goes that much farther.

demodemo

Smash Ace
I really think the position of zelda's recovery should be changed, to just below sheik. I wouldn't call it rank D though.

If i am incorrect, somebody please give me reasons why :( or at least recognize my post

Crystanium

Smash Hero
ROB > Pit, IMO.
Let's see if your opinion holds water.

Pit has 3 midair jumps.
If both are on the stage, R.O.B. has two jumps, and Pit has four. If you're talking about both being off the stage, R.O.B. has one jump and Pit has three.

Pit > R.O.B.

They don't cover very much distance though. His 4 jumps in total barely go further than ROB's 2.
I created a stage in Stage Builder to test this out. I wanted to see who had the best horizontal and vertical recovery. At least, between Pit and R.O.B. I created a large stage consisting of eighteen squares for the ground, and thirteen platforms on the far end of the right side. From the left side, I moved Pit with all four of his jumps, and then I tested R.O.B. Pit landed the furthest, obviously, covering ten squares, almost eleven, whereas R.O.B. covered only seven squares. With only two jumps from Pit, he covered six squares.

Pit > R.O.B.

Glide is good. Definitely. But it is not better than ROB's up b.
In comparison to Pit's glide and R.O.B.'s Robo Burner, it seems that R.O.B. outclasses Pit, landing on the seventeenth square. However, with only two jumps to perform the glide with Pit, Pit lands just right behind R.O.B., standing in the sixteenth square, his foot touching the line that divides the sixteenth and seventeenth square. Imagine how much further Pit could go with three or four jumps. However, I was only testing R.O.B.'s Robo Burner without the use of his two jumps, but only because you mentioned R.O.B.'s Robo Burner compared to Pit's glide. Otherwise, Pit can cover more than eighteen squares.

Pit > R.O.B.

It is definitely faster, but you have less control over yourself (you can only go up and down while moving forward; ROB can go in any direction during his up b). It's only viable for horizontal distance gaining, also.
I'm sorry, but Pit players have no trouble using their glide. I haven't found myself to have a hard time to control myself when gliding.

During glide you only have 4 options; angle up, angle down, glide attack, cancel glide. ROB can use any aerial out of his up b, which can be used to protect him from projectiles as his aerials have pretty good priority. He can also move in ANY direction.
That's nice, but while R.O.B. is using his Robo Burner, he is subject to getting hit, unless he uses an attack to cancel the Robo Burner so that he'll be able to air-dodge. It doesn't look like Pit is the only one with the Achilles' heel.

After using an aerial, his up b is deactivated and he is free to do anything as normal. Up b is reactivatable.
The Robo Burner can be reactivated, yes, but R.O.B. will have already used up some of his fuel.

Now if you add the up b, Pit can cover more distance. However his up b is a lot less safe. If you get hit out of it, you are dead. Against anyone with a semi spammable projectile, you are in danger.
However, according to you, "Pit can cover more distance," which would mean that Pit can fly away from the stage and go upward and then head toward the stage again. Projectile attacks would be out of the way, and Pit would be landing safely back to the stage, since he would be coming downward with enough movement toward the stage.

Also you have to use it all at once. With ROB you can dole out the fuel over time, instead of being restricted to an amount of time, you're restricted to an amount of fuel. This is more versatile.
So says the fellow who probably hasn't been spiked more than once while using the Robo Burner.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf should not be below Link. I believe Ganon can get back on stage from lower than where Link can grab the ledge from, he goes that much farther.
But Ganondorf also falls faster, and he does not have a Tether recovery or AT's like Bomb Jumps to help him recover like Link.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Dryn said:

If both are on the stage, R.O.B. has two jumps, and Pit has four. If you're talking about both being off the stage, R.O.B. has one jump and Pit has three.

Pit > R.O.B.

I created a stage in Stage Builder to test this out. I wanted to see who had the best horizontal and vertical recovery. At least, between Pit and R.O.B. I created a large stage consisting of eighteen squares for the ground, and thirteen platforms on the far end of the right side. From the left side, I moved Pit with all four of his jumps, and then I tested R.O.B. Pit landed the furthest, obviously, covering ten squares, almost eleven, whereas R.O.B. covered only seven squares. With only two jumps from Pit, he covered six squares.

Pit > R.O.B.

In comparison to Pit's glide and R.O.B.'s Robo Burner, it seems that R.O.B. outclasses Pit, landing on the seventeenth square. However, with only two jumps to perform the glide with Pit, Pit lands just right behind R.O.B., standing in the sixteenth square, his foot touching the line that divides the sixteenth and seventeenth square. Imagine how much further Pit could go with three or four jumps. However, I was only testing R.O.B.'s Robo Burner without the use of his two jumps, but only because you mentioned R.O.B.'s Robo Burner compared to Pit's glide. Otherwise, Pit can cover more than eighteen squares.

Pit > R.O.B.

I'm sorry, but Pit players have no trouble using their glide. I haven't found myself to have a hard time to control myself when gliding.

That's nice, but while R.O.B. is using his Robo Burner, he is subject to getting hit, unless he uses an attack to cancel the Robo Burner so that he'll be able to air-dodge. It doesn't look like Pit is the only one with the Achilles' heel.

The Robo Burner can be reactivated, yes, but R.O.B. will have already used up some of his fuel.

However, according to you, "Pit can cover more distance," which would mean that Pit can fly away from the stage and go upward and then head toward the stage again. Projectile attacks would be out of the way, and Pit would be landing safely back to the stage, since he would be coming downward with enough movement toward the stage.

So says the fellow who probably hasn't been spiked more than once while using the Robo Burner.
I cannot agree more. This is what I've been trying to say for the past few pages. At least now we have the results to prove it.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
So by this you mean what?

Who gets the most air time?
Who gets the most distance vertically?
Who gets most horizontal distance?
Who's hardest to gimp?

What?

_clinton

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind it, because no matter what I try to test, I get ZSS having a longer horizontal recovery distance than ness by about 1 block (small stage builder block) and this includes ness' up-B and ZSS' down-B

You're right I guess about the up-B, I get the same distance (horizontal) with using the up-B on her jumps and without. I think it does help, but not enough to make any real difference horizontally. Vertically however it clearly helps.

I also cannot understand how you have yoshi with so much vertical distance... his horizontal distance is where he shines. His vertical is average.

I have a 2 custom stages, one for testing horizontal and one for testing vertical.
Um...wut?

Ok 1st off Ness can add to the horizontal range in his recovery by using Magnet as well as Fair at the right times...Fair is easy to use right...just throw it out as you start up the 2nd jump for the greatest effect...

Magnet is a bit harder to time right...however it has other uses...like slowing Ness' fall and so on...

I think you may be reading my posts wrong in some areas as well...

I haven't even posted any vertical distance tests yet...but I can post a small one if you want me to really fast...it just tests full vertical distance by grabbing a bunch of block ledges...

The score range for this is 2-13...13 is wrote as clear...

Mario-4, 6(Wall Jump)
Luigi-5, 9(Tornado)
Peach-3
Bowser-4
DK-4
Diddy-6
Yoshi-4
Wario-4, 8(Bike Jump Add on), Clear(Waft Add on)
Link-4, 7(Bomb Jump)
Zelda-5
Shiek-6
Ganondorf-5
Tink-5, 9(Bomb Jump)
Samus-5, 7(Wall Jump)
Zamus-3(2nd), 6(Rope), 8(Wall Jump)
Pit-4(Jumps), 8(WoI only), Clear(Full)
Ice C-4(Belay P.), 6(Leader), 4~7(Best Together)
Solo Ice-3
ROB-10
Kirby-5(Jumps), 7(Full)
MK-5(Jumps), 8(Shuttle Loop), 9(Drill Rush)
King D3-5(Jumps), 8(Full)
Olimar-3(0 Pikmin), 4(3 Pikmin), 5(5 Pikmin)
Fox-3(2nd and Illusion), 7(Fire Fox), 8(2nd Add on)
Falco-3(2nd and Illusion), 6(Fire Bird)
Wolf-3(2nd and Illusion), 6(Fire Wolf)
C. Falcon-2(2nd and Raptor Boost), 5(Full), 7(Wall Jump)
Pikachu-7(Normal), 8(Wall Jump)
Squirtle-4(Normal), 6(Wall Tricks)
Ivysaur-2(2nd), 5(Rope)
Charizard-3(Jumps), 5(Full)
Lucario-6(Full), 9(3rd to Wall)
Jigglypuff-6(Jumps), 7(Add ons)
Marth-5(everything)
Ike-4
Ness-3(2nd), 6(Full)
Lucas-3(2nd), 4(2nd and Snake), 7(Full 2nd), 10(Full Zap Jumping)
Mr. G&W-5
Snake-7(Normal), Clear(Add ons)
Sonic-6(Normal), 7(Spin Jump), 8(Wall Jump)

Anyway a few notes about Wall Jumps...characters like Mario, and C. Falcon don't really matter for that score IMO...because it is hard to get to a wall and use it...so scores like that shouldn't even be added in...I'm just pointing out that they are there...

However I'm willing to keep Zamus, Samus, Lucario, and a few others in that score...because well...it is pretty easy to grab a wall with them...I mean Samus doesn't even have to use her 2nd jump most of the time...

I still see using a wall as pretty situational...however for these characters it is easier to get to then with others who have them...

I feel that should mean something...

Oh and if you want to see my stuff...I'll let you see it...just PM me when you put my FC data in ok

_clinton

Smash Master
That's some really nice data, but how did you test it?
Me?

If so...just PM me and I'll show you if you have an FC (or I could stop being lazy and just upload the videos on Youtube...but what do I look like to you? Someone who isn't lazy?)

Oh and really...how is Samus under ZSS still...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That's some really nice data, but how did you test it?
If _clinton does the same thing as I do, then his information regarding Pit should be different. For example, I don't know what is meant by the number "8" in his list, but the Wings of Icarus alone can get Pit to the thirteenth platform in a created stage from Stage Builder, and that's the highest platform. Otherwise, I don't know how he collects his information.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Pit's Wings of Icarus alone travels more vertical distance than the overall recovery of any other character (gliding aside).

_clinton

Smash Master
If _clinton does the same thing as I do, then his information regarding Pit should be different. For example, I don't know what is meant by the number "8" in his list, but the Wings of Icarus alone can get Pit to the thirteenth platform in a created stage from Stage Builder, and that's the highest platform. Otherwise, I don't know how he collects his information.
How are you testing your Pit's WoI?

I'm using fall through platforms to start the test for everyone...anyway from a ground level...Pit jumps when he starts his WoI...which does a lot to add to the distance (to number 13)...which is bad data to use because really...are you on solid ground if you are trying to recover with the WoI? So...because of that some of the points were cut out...

Looking on if you test Pit's WoI in the air you'll notice that Pit does lose some range when he starts the move...however that range can avoid being cut by using Pit's WoI at a certain time...as in right after one of his jumps...however please check my score...the test was done using WoI only...nothing more...

Pit really isn't the only character in that situation...Mario's range for his super jump punch is higher on ground level then it is by air as well for example...Ness and Lucas both lose height when they need to fly up with thunder as well...Samus' screw attack...Sonic's spring...the list goes on with this...

Of course I'll admit I'm a bit off in this one tests recovery range...seeing as to how it isn't really done yet...

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
In all honesty, Zelda's recovery loses out to Sheik's.

If Sheik and Zelda double jump + Up B, Sheik actually goes higher than Zelda does. Test this out for yourself.

With that in mind, realize that Sheik's double jump > Zelda's in terms of distance, Sheik falls faster than Zelda does, and Sheik's Up B distance is somewhere around 2/3rds of Zelda's Up B. In terms of distance traveled, Sheik is a lot closer to Zelda than people think. However, there's more to the story.

Sheik's Up B start-up grants invincibility even before Sheik actually disappears. Then, on top of that, upon disappearing there's a powerful explosion. The OP should know just as well as I do that when you combine a powerful attack with invincibility frames, you get a very, very good and safe Up B move as far as start-up goes (see the beginning of Ness's of PKT2 and Marth's Dolphin Slash for similar examples of hard-hitting + cannot be stopped Up Bs). Zelda's, on the other hand, only gives a hitbox. No invincibility. This is a problem because the start-up does a mere 4% and can be pretty much cut through by most aerials. It doesn't even protect her whole body! The start-up is roughly the same as Sheik's, but it is much unsafer and the attack sucks.

Then they travel... Zelda wins in distance.

Then they reappear. Zelda gets a hitbox and Sheik gets a strong wind effect. Now, as far as edgehogging goes, Zelda's wins because she can knock off edgehoggers. That said, edgehogging either one is still relatively simple because they travel from point A to point B without a hitbox, so as long as you're not vulnerable at the end of Point B for zelda, there's nothing she can do to you. Zelda gets an advantage for the edgehoggers, but...

... what if they have to land somewhere above the stage or on the stage? Long-story short, both can be shielded, and it's a matter of who gains control faster. Sheik's wind effect is larger, though. Also, Sheik falls faster than Zelda does, so if they have to warp in the air, Sheik will hit the ground first and will therefore gain control faster like that. As for who gains control fastest if they warp into the stage (like just warping down), I dunno if there's a difference in speed between the two... but yeah, I say that Sheik and Zelda are around even in terms of Up B...

... then you take into account the fact that Sheik can dair to get down from the air quickly, can use her neutral B to attack people from a distance (without going into freefall!) and has a good tether, and you can see that Sheik is the clear winner of recovery between those two.

I don't know how you can edit the list for just those two, considering there are other characters between them, but Sheik > Zelda, always.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
More importantly...

Why is Luigi under Toon Link?
Lol, I suppose because his recovery is much better protected, even though Luigi clearly covers more distance.

I don't see the purpose in trying to "measure" and "test" Pit's recovery range. With one glide, he can go further than anyone in the cast faster than anyone in the cast with only MK to compete with. And once his glide is done, he still has 2 jumps and an upB left which covers even more distance. Not to mention he has one of the best projectiles in the game and 2 reflectors to thwart edgeguarding of any fashion. How many characters can really consistently stop Pit's glide?

Why is this being discussed?

Pit's spot is right under MK, in second.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace

Pit > R.O.B.

Pit > R.O.B.

Pit > R.O.B.
Yeah yeah yeah. Pit can go significantly further than ROB. I know that. I wasn't arguing that.

Distance =/= better recovery.

In this game, you don't really need to be able to recover further than ROB to return from anywhere. You can get back with ROB from the bottom corner of FD. There's a point where distance draws its limits in helpfulness. The amount that Pit can recover further than ROB really doesn't matter that much, in my opinion. There's only a certain maximum distance you'll ever have to recover, and ROB can do it (minus zig zagging and whatnot).

I'm not saying you don't have control. But during a glide animation, you have less control over your character's movement than during freefall (which is essentially what ROB's up b gives you control over, and actually so does Pit's up b). Gliding is restricted to moving forward, up and down. You CANNOT go backwards. You can cancel the glide, but then you can't use it again. You can also only go as high as you started from.

You move quickly so it's hard to hit you, but the glide attack isn't always going to protect you from long range attacks, depending on their properties. The same can be said of ROB's up b. ROB moves slower in his up b than Pit in his glide, but he has more aerial control over where he can go (down, up, left, right, down&left, etc..).

You do go faster during a glide, so you are harder to hit. But if you are hit, you can't do it again. Same with Pit's up b. ROB can reactivate until he is out of fuel. He can take more of a beating offstage and still recover, meaning he can afford to be hit. I'm not saying the player controlling ROB shouldn't try to dodge, but at least if his opponents ends up hitting him he is still OK. With Pit you can get hit twice - once out of the glide, once out of the up b, and then you're done for.

Yeah. They can both be hit out of their recoveries, because neither can airdodge. The thing is once you use Pit's glide attack, you can't glide again. Use any of ROB's aerials, and you can restart his fuel again afterwards. These attacks can be used to counter edgeguards up close, or deflect some projectiles (depending on their properties). And even if that doesn't work, you can just use the aerial to deactivate the up b so as to dodge an incoming projectile.

You can cancel Pit's glide to airdodge something, but then you're forced to up b if you're not on the stage. And you can't cancel his up b to airdodge (which is a lot more important than for ROB, because getting hit 1 time = death for Pit, getting hit 1 time = reactivation for ROB).

Yep. Ideally you'll get a little closer to the stage each time, too, so you'll need less fuel.

This seems to me like close range attacks would be out of the way. Flying away from the stage doesn't save you from projectiles. Hell, using the two characters we are discussing, this method is unsafe. ROB's laser could hit you if you fly away, and Pit's arrows could hit you even more easily.

Flying up is a good idea, though. If you make it high enough before you get hit, then you'll be able to fall back to the stage. Still edgeguardable and punishable, though.

Hey man, no need for the personal shots :chuckle:

At least you need to spike me. I can just hit you :)

We agree, Pit can cover more distance. We just disagree over how important that is -- I think it doesn't matter that much that Pit can recover however much further than ROB. How often are you going to need to go further than ROB's up b can take you? Rarely, and if anything only to zig zag around and dodge projectiles (which I may add is very unsafe during Pit's own up b). I think that ROB is a little safer in his recovery (more aerial control than the glide, can reactivate if hit, and can dole out his burner over time, instead of having to use it all at once).

Mr.E

Smash Lord
rob pit blah blah blah; I'm actually a ROB main, so some would say I'm biased, but I always attempt to be as objective as possible.

Number of jumps doesn't really matter, but the distance they gain. For example, Dedede has multiple jumps but the piss-poor height he gains and his game-worst mobility make them more useful for floating in place spamming BAir edgeguarding than they are for his own recovery. To be fair, it's nice to have more smaller jumps than fewer larger jumps, in case you get gimped by weak projectiles (Falco's Blaster, etc.), but it's largely a moot point for these characters.

Distance? It's irrelevant in this comparison as both ROB and Pit can easily make it under any stage and recover from any hit that isn't a flat-out kill. The more important trait of gliding is that it's fast, fast enough to safely beat most enemies to the opposite side of the stage if you so choose. However, keep in mind that most projectile users can easily knock you out of a glide; most of these characters are the same ones that can easily gimp Pit's WoI.

It mostly boils down to gimpability. Both ROB and Pit can cover whatever distance you need them to, both can go under the stage with ease, both can formidably protect themselves returning to the stage. What else is there to say? ROB is nearly impossible to gimp -- Pit isn't. MK is the only character who can reasonably gimp ROB and even that is hardly a guarantee. There are numerous long-range projectiles that can muck up a Pit glide and he has to be quite prudent about using his Wings, especially on stages he can't travel under. That said, I can say with confidence that ROB's recovery is superior. Ironically, he's also arguably the best character in the game at gimping Pit's recovery. *shrug*

As far as Sonic/G&W is concerned, Fireman is practically invincible and autosnaps the ledge. Sonic's recovery is really good because of his all-around speed, not to mention distance, but that's pretty much "'nuff said." And don't ever mention the bucket, please.

Zelda/Sheik? Isn't that kinda funny since they're actually the same character. At any rate, Zelda's recovery is terrible because Farore's Wind has stupid aiming. -_-

But Ganondorf also falls faster, and he does not have a Tether recovery or AT's like Bomb Jumps to help him recover like Link.
Link's distance is just so bad that I personally wouldn't place him above anyone but Olimar/Ivysaur (who are just so gimpable that nobody can possibly NOT rank them last). At least Ganondorf can cover a half-***** distance.

In fact, I didn't notice he was at the direct bottom of the list before. That seems ludicrous just based on his recovery being analogous but ostensibly better than Captain Falcon, let alone the Oli/Ivy gimp factor (and the Link comparison as above).

How many characters can really consistently stop Pit's glide?
Pit himself, first off, as well as ROB can hit him out of it from anywhere, everywhere, every time. (Ironic, no?) ROB even has the distance and mobility to flat-out chase you out there.

Lucas's PK Thunder is an incredible edgeguarding tool and can do likewise to them. (Ness as well but the fact his projectile just pops you up slightly actually helps your recovery, though it still racks up damage in his favor.)

Pikachu can jump out and Thunder. Falco can laser him out of it unless he starts it really high. Samus can make you play Dodge the Missiles, potentially blast you with a Charge Shot, ZAir once you're closer to the stage. TL's Bombs/Arrow will cause trouble if you're not very high up and he can still angle a Boomerang up there for that. Yoshi's Eggs are perfectly suited for diagonal-upward angles and the blast radius is fairly large. Din's Fire... 'nuff said there. Sonic can chase out there and his Spring could well knock Pit out of it if you try to go under him.

So that's what, slightly more than 1/4 of the cast that can realistically gimp Pit's glide? Five or six of them are also proficient at gimping WoI even on stages he can travel under. It's not most of the cast, no, but more than can be said of ROB's recovery. I mean, there was this one wild time I got stuck under PS1's ledge and eventually gimped by a Mario, but nobody aside MK can edgeguard ROB with any sort of regularity or efficiency.

EDIT: G&W as well since I thought about it a little harder. G&W can't go out as far and his Up-B is less dangerous, though.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Just a little nitpick. You can glide higher than where you started from if you conserve your momentum. Simply angle steeply downward to increase your ascent afterwards. It is entirely possible for Pit to glide back to the ledge even if he started gliding under it. It's easier for Meta Knight since he's floatier, but Pit can do it too. Charizard's, on the other hand, is terrible at gaining vertical distance. Unless you're facing a Pit who is just slowly gliding back to the stage, I'd say your chances of gimping him are pretty rare, especially if he goes under the stage. Hitting him with a projectile is not as easy as it sounds once Pit has gained enough speed to outmaneuver them. It's not like Wings of Icarus or anything, where Pit actually moves too slowly to be able to escape fast projectiles.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How are you testing your Pit's WoI?
I am using Stage Builder, creating a stage with eighteen squares for the ground, and on the far end of the right, I have thirteen platforms, which you can fall through by pressing down on the analog stick.

Pit jumps when he starts his WoI...which does a lot to add to the distance (to number 13)...
Correction: Pit only jumps if you have Tap Up on. I have it off, which is something most, if not all Pit players would benefit doing. There's nothing that looks more ridiculous than Pit jumping everytime he has to loop an arrow. The Wings of Icarus alone get Pit up to the thirteenth platform without any use of his jumps.

which is bad data to use because really...are you on solid ground if you are trying to recover with the WoI? So...because of that some of the points were cut out...
However, this doesn't mean that my testing is faulty. What I have done is shown who has the better means to recover. If Pit does well on the ground, then I don't see why his performance in recovering would be any different, except for one less jump. Besides, I wonder how you're testing this out, because there is a difference between intentionally jumping off the stage and trying to recover, versus being knocked off the stage and trying to recover.

Looking on if you test Pit's WoI in the air you'll notice that Pit does lose some range when he starts the move...however that range can avoid being cut by using Pit's WoI at a certain time...as in right after one of his jumps...however please check my score...the test was done using WoI only...nothing more...
I realize that using a jump just before using the Wings of Icarus boosts the speed of Pit's Wings of Icarus. I use him as an alternative character.

Pit really isn't the only character in that situation...Mario's range for his super jump punch is higher on ground level then it is by air as well for example...Ness and Lucas both lose height when they need to fly up with thunder as well...Samus' screw attack...Sonic's spring...the list goes on with this...
Perhaps you have Tap Up on? If you'd like to prove to me that Mario's range for his Super Jump Punch differs off stage from on stage, you can provide a video. I understand that you're a lazy fellow, and you'd rather not do so, but hey, I'd like to see your test.

Yeah yeah yeah. Pit can go significantly further than ROB. I know that. I wasn't arguing that.

Distance =/= better recovery.
If only. Mario should be returning safely, since distance really doesn't matter, right? For example, let's say you knock Falco off the stage. His best option here is his Falco Phantasm versus his Fire Bird. It's a common method used by Falco players. The Falco Phantasm covers some very good distance alone. Mario would have to use his Cape to stall and his Super Jump Punch if both he and Falco were in the same position and the same distance from the stage. Chances are, Mario probably wouldn't make it back.

In this game, you don't really need to be able to recover further than ROB to return from anywhere.
No, see, you were saying that R.O.B. should be above Pit when it comes to recovery. It seems to me like you're trying to say, "No, no, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that anyone can recover, and they don't need the extra distance to return to the stage."

You can get back with ROB from the bottom corner of FD. There's a point where distance draws its limits in helpfulness. The amount that Pit can recover further than ROB really doesn't matter that much, in my opinion. There's only a certain maximum distance you'll ever have to recover, and ROB can do it (minus zig zagging and whatnot).
Ah, so now it's about the "certain maximum distance you'll ever have to recover," and guess what? R.O.B. can do it, as can a number of other characters! Face it, Pit has more jumps than R.O.B., and his Wings of Icarus beat R.O.B.'s Robo Burner. Sure, you can say, "But Pit can be hit once, and then he's finished!" That's really the only argument anyone here can use to undermine Pit's recovery. They make it sound as if it's easy to gimp Pit while he is using his Wings of Icarus.

I'm not saying you don't have control. But during a glide animation, you have less control over your character's movement than during freefall (which is essentially what ROB's up b gives you control over, and actually so does Pit's up b). Gliding is restricted to moving forward, up and down. You CANNOT go backwards. You can cancel the glide, but then you can't use it again. You can also only go as high as you started from.
We're talking about recovery here, bludhoundz. Why would any Pit player desire to glide the other way around from the stage?

You move quickly so it's hard to hit you, but the glide attack isn't always going to protect you from long range attacks, depending on their properties.
What would these "long range attacks" be?

The same can be said of ROB's up b. ROB moves slower in his up b than Pit in his glide, but he has more aerial control over where he can go (down, up, left, right, down&left, etc..).
And?

You do go faster during a glide, so you are harder to hit. But if you are hit, you can't do it again.
I'm really beginning to wonder what you're arguing about. You're acting as if the distance from the stage is so far out that if Pit were to be hit by an attack, that he wouldn't be able to use his glide again. Pit glides quite fast. It shouldn't take long to reach the stage.

Same with Pit's up b. ROB can reactivate until he is out of fuel. He can take more of a beating offstage and still recover, meaning he can afford to be hit. I'm not saying the player controlling ROB shouldn't try to dodge, but at least if his opponents ends up hitting him he is still OK. With Pit you can get hit twice - once out of the glide, once out of the up b, and then you're done for.
That's usually not the case, though, bludhoundz.

This seems to me like close range attacks would be out of the way. Flying away from the stage doesn't save you from projectiles. Hell, using the two characters we are discussing, this method is unsafe. ROB's laser could hit you if you fly away, and Pit's arrows could hit you even more easily.
Perhaps.

Still edgeguardable and punishable, though.
I don't know how you'd think that, considering that if Pit is high enough, he can get back to the stage without having to grab the edge. His Angel Ring pushes him forward.

We agree, Pit can cover more distance. We just disagree over how important that is -- I think it doesn't matter that much that Pit can recover however much further than ROB. How often are you going to need to go further than ROB's up b can take you? Rarely, and if anything only to zig zag around and dodge projectiles (which I may add is very unsafe during Pit's own up b). I think that ROB is a little safer in his recovery (more aerial control than the glide, can reactivate if hit, and can dole out his burner over time, instead of having to use it all at once).
Well, Pit's Wings of Icarus are only used as a last resort, since he has his glide to get back safely. Final Destination and other stages like it do wonders for Pit.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I had a long quote for quote post, but I decided to be concise instead.

Name 1 place on any tournament legal stage where Pit can recover and ROB cannot. This shows how relevant the extra distance Pit has is.

Pit is easier to gimp. It's as simple as that. One hit knocks him out of his glide, another knocks him out of WoI, and all he has after that is jumps (if he hasn't used 'em already).

Glide = linear. Fine, make your funky looking sin curve recovery. I can still predict where you are going to go better than an ROB using his Robo Burner, and hit you out of it.

WoI = unpredictable but one hit gimps you.

Robo Burner = unpredictable and hard to gimp.

I am in no way saying Pit is EASY to gimp. He certainly is not. He is easiER to gimp than ROB.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
IDK, PKNintendo doesn't update his list much and he often seems reluctant to listen to opinions that differ from his own. He runs his list a lot like Ivan.
I will not take kindly to insults. Judy.

Nice list Clinton.
UPDATED YEAHZ!

Seruously, nice work guys. You user's (with execption of some...) are truly awesome. Clinton, Raph, Adapt, Kitamerby, Dryn and Andrew, you guys get a cookie.

(If I missed you, tell me okay?)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It mostly boils down to gimpability. Both ROB and Pit can cover whatever distance you need them to, both can go under the stage with ease, both can formidably protect themselves returning to the stage. What else is there to say? ROB is nearly impossible to gimp -- Pit isn't. MK is the only character who can reasonably gimp ROB and even that is hardly a guarantee. There are numerous long-range projectiles that can muck up a Pit glide and he has to be quite prudent about using his Wings, especially on stages he can't travel under. That said, I can say with confidence that ROB's recovery is superior. Ironically, he's also arguably the best character in the game at gimping Pit's recovery. *shrug*
I'm glad I'm finally on the same page with someone.

The problem I have with ROB's recovery being better than Pit's, is that it's so much slower, and he can't airdodge. The direction he intends to go is always easy to predict (obivously up and left/right. Aim in that general direction and you should land w/e) and he cannot prevent pursuers from knocking him back off the stage. Pit's is much faster and more difficult to hit because an opponent can't easily follow him. Even after that, if they both decide to recover high, Pit is much safer against enemies below him than ROB when they're coming back down. Pit's less likely to just be knocked back off.

With Pit, you need more accuracy. With ROB, you need more consistency

If D3 or MK comes offstage to finish off a stock, is ROB really more likely to survive than Pit? Hell, if Snake decides to follow with his upB and try to spike or do whatever he does, ROB can't airdodge and is moving slowly while Pit can easily speed around him or kill his approach with multi-jumps + arrow spam.

Pit himself, first off, as well as ROB can hit him out of it from anywhere, everywhere, every time. (Ironic, no?) ROB even has the distance and mobility to flat-out chase you out there.

Lucas's PK Thunder is an incredible edgeguarding tool and can do likewise to them. (Ness as well but the fact his projectile just pops you up slightly actually helps your recovery, though it still racks up damage in his favor.)

Pikachu can jump out and Thunder. Falco can laser him out of it unless he starts it really high. Samus can make you play Dodge the Missiles, potentially blast you with a Charge Shot, ZAir once you're closer to the stage. TL's Bombs/Arrow will cause trouble if you're not very high up and he can still angle a Boomerang up there for that. Yoshi's Eggs are perfectly suited for diagonal-upward angles and the blast radius is fairly large. Din's Fire... 'nuff said there. Sonic can chase out there and his Spring could well knock Pit out of it if you try to go under him.

So that's what, slightly more than 1/4 of the cast that can realistically gimp Pit's glide? Five or six of them are also proficient at gimping WoI even on stages he can travel under. It's not most of the cast, no, but more than can be said of ROB's recovery. I mean, there was this one wild time I got stuck under PS1's ledge and eventually gimped by a Mario, but nobody aside MK can edgeguard ROB with any sort of regularity or efficiency.

EDIT: G&W as well since I thought about it a little harder. G&W can't go out as far and his Up-B is less dangerous, though.
These same characters CAN'T gimp ROB (or practically the rest of the cast) with the same tactics?

Pit is easier to gimp. It's as simple as that. One hit knocks him out of his glide, another knocks him out of WoI, and all he has after that is jumps (if he hasn't used 'em already).
You still have to land these hits. I don't see how ROB, being considerably slower and lacking an airdodge, could possibly be harder to hit than Pit, who has 3 jumps, a fast glide, a spammable projectile, and an unpredictable upB. He even has reflectors if the situation arises where they're needed.

Glide = linear. Fine, make your funky looking sin curve recovery. I can still predict where you are going to go better than an ROB using his Robo Burner, and hit you out of it.

I am in no way saying Pit is EASY to gimp. He certainly is not. He is easiER to gimp than ROB.
How do you find such a slow moving target to be unpredictable? Maybe this is just a me thing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Name 1 place on any tournament legal stage where Pit can recover and ROB cannot. This shows how relevant the extra distance Pit has is.
Telling me to find what legal stage Pit can recover where R.O.B. cannot is moot, bludhoundz. That's like asking me what legal stage Jigglypuff can recover where Mario can't. I already noted that distance is an aspect to recovery, hence placing both Falco and Mario in the same position, while Falco only needs to use his Falco Phantasm, whereas Mario would need to stall, use his second jump and probably his Super Jump Punch. And if you truly have to ask me such a question, then perhaps you should reconsider your argument about recovery.

You're saying that Pit is easier to gimp. By that, you would mean in comparison to R.O.B. You say, "It's as simple as that," even though you also state, "I am in no way saying Pit is EASY to gimp."

Glide = linear.
Or undulated.

Fine, make your funky looking sin curve recovery. I can still predict where you are going to go better than an ROB using his Robo Burner, and hit you out of it.
You're sounding childish now.

I didn't realize that the Wings of Icarus were unpredictable. I would think that if the Wings of Icarus can carry Pit higher than R.O.B.'s Robo Burner, that Pit can take the liberty of moving and stalling to get to a safe distance without the risk of being gimped.

I didn't realize that the Robo Burner was unpredictable. The Robo Burner is slow enough to gimp R.O.B., and I'm not just referring to spiking, either.

It's hard to hit an opponent who is out of harms way, right?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Honestly, I can't see Lucas being as high as he is. Pikachu too.

OSHORE Lucas has Zap Jump, but it's completely gimpable, say... Via a projectile? Or a meteor smash (of course you need good timing)?

Also, projectiles own PK2 too, just dont hit lucas :D

Pika's recovery isn't awesome, it's predictable. Camp the edge, and if he lands, jump, down air or Bair (depends on the range)

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I seriously recommend people who are saying Pit's glide is gimpable to face a good Pit. When facing an experienced Pit, even gimping Wings of Icarus is a challenge. Saying that the move is easily gimped means nothing when the experienced players won't give you that chance. The only times I've ever hit Pit out of his Up-B were against noobs or CPUs. Good Pits will use it to immediately sweetspot the ledge, fly under the stage, or travel above and beyond the reach of opponents (including those with projectiles) depending on the situation. Almost never will you see a decent Pit player using it to travel horizontally back to the stage or within the attack range of someone.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I seriously recommend people who are saying Pit's glide is gimpable to face a good Pit. When facing an experienced Pit, even gimping Wings of Icarus is a challenge. Saying that the move is easily gimped means nothing when the experienced players won't give you that chance. The only times I've ever hit Pit out of his Up-B were against noobs or CPUs. Good Pits will use it to immediately sweetspot the ledge, fly under the stage, or travel above and beyond the reach of opponents (including those with projectiles) depending on the situation. Almost never will you see a decent Pit player using it to travel horizontally back to the stage or within the attack range of someone.
Yeah, but good Pits are really rare, so a lot of people will remember how they gimped noobs with waddle dees.

Also, the extra distance vs ROB comes into play when you want to go under the stage, decide against it, start coming back, and then go to the other side anyway.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Honestly, I can't see Lucas being as high as he is. Pikachu too.
Name characters you'd put above them.

Pika's recovery isn't awesome, it's predictable. Camp the edge, and if he lands, jump, down air or Bair (depends on the range)
DI better.
Pikachu should be recovering high and 2nd jumping to get back...and his UpB goes pretty far and can be angled many ways.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Telling me to find what legal stage Pit can recover where R.O.B. cannot is moot, bludhoundz. That's like asking me what legal stage Jigglypuff can recover where Mario can't. I already noted that distance is an aspect to recovery, hence placing both Falco and Mario in the same position, while Falco only needs to use his Falco Phantasm, whereas Mario would need to stall, use his second jump and probably his Super Jump Punch. And if you truly have to ask me such a question, then perhaps you should reconsider your argument about recovery.
You misunderstood the point of the question, if you really think it is moot.

If ROB can recover from everywhere that Pit can, how does Pit's extra distance make ANY difference?!

Maybe if there were a place from which Pit could recover and ROB couldn't, it would be relevant.

You're saying that Pit is easier to gimp. By that, you would mean in comparison to R.O.B. You say, "It's as simple as that," even though you also state, "I am in no way saying Pit is EASY to gimp."
My sentence before "It's as simple as that" is "Pit is easier to gimp than ROB." Nice try on taking me out of context. I didn't say "It's as simple as that" in reference to how to gimp Pit. Thus your trying to make me look like I contradicted myself is just you taking my quote out of context.

Or undulated.
I didn't mean literally. I meant it's a one track recovery. You are flying forward. You can angle yourself up and down. That is it. You can choose to cancel the glide or glide attack, but nobody is going to do this until they are already close to the stage.

You're sounding childish now.
Gee, instead of arguing you want to just insult me? I did not insult you. I did not insult your favorite character. I simply argue my points and you respond with this. Can we not have this argument RESPECTFULLY?

I didn't realize that the Wings of Icarus were unpredictable. I would think that if the Wings of Icarus can carry Pit higher than R.O.B.'s Robo Burner, that Pit can take the liberty of moving and stalling to get to a safe distance without the risk of being gimped.
Unpredictable in the sense that Pit is basically able to move in any direction.

Pit is safe from gimps from an aerial attack if he flies away. But you keep ignoring projectiles..

I didn't realize that the Robo Burner was unpredictable. The Robo Burner is slow enough to gimp R.O.B., and I'm not just referring to spiking, either.
Then it's gotta be easier to gimp Pit's WoI, because all you need to do is get nicked by anything dealing damage. If you hit ROB with a really weak attack, it's barely going to gimp him.

Yeah, he's gimpable, but you cannot argue that WoI is a lot less gimpable than Robo Burner. It simply is.

I believe that Robo Burner > WoI. WoI may cover further distance, but it is easier to gimp Pit out of if you have any sort of projectile. The amount of distance it CAN cover is worthless if you get hit. ROB can still continue to cover however much distance even if he gets hit.

Maybe the glide is better than the Robo Burner when you are level with or above the stage. But if you are below the stage it is definitely not. If Pit is put in a situation where he is far below and away from the stage, he is in a much much worse situation than ROB. I do not see how you can argue against this.

It's hard to hit an opponent who is out of harms way, right?
This strategy of flying away only works against opponents who do not have aimable projectiles. Marth, MK, DK, fine. Try it against another Pit and you're toast.

I'm done, if that's what you want. You aren't even attempting to argue some of the points I made. You completely ignored everything I said about projectiles, dismissed my question as irrelevant, and were taking a condescending tone with me in some places.

Edit: Matador, you are emphasizing ROB's lack of an airdodge during his Up B. Pit does not have an airdodge during his glide recovery or Up B either.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You misunderstood the point of the question, if you really think it is moot.

If ROB can recover from everywhere that Pit can, how does Pit's extra distance make ANY difference?!

Maybe if there were a place from which Pit could recover and ROB couldn't, it would be relevant.
It wasn't a question in the first place. If Pit can go a further distance, which, he can, then that means that this allows him to take the liberty in stalling and perhaps even evading any danger that might come his way. The fact that you call me out on the relevance of what you said is interesting, because it was you who said,

bludhoundz said:
Pit has 3 midair jumps. They don't cover very much distance though. His 4 jumps in total barely go further than ROB's 2.
Isn't that ironic? And, I proved you wrong on that. The fact that you're trying to flip things around and then saying that I am taking you out of context is also interesting, because if you didn't care about distance, you would've never mentioned any of this in the first place, now would you? Next, you say,

bludhoundz said:
Glide is good. Definitely. But it is not better than ROB's up b.
Oh, now see, this is the part where we were talking about Pit's glide and R.O.B.'s Robo Burner. Interesting, isn't it? Because you were talking about distance, as you used the very word, I continued to show you that Pit's glide goes further than R.O.B.'s Robo Burner. Had you compared the two in regard to gimping, I might have said something different.

bludhoundz said:
My sentence before "It's as simple as that" is "Pit is easier to gimp than ROB." Nice try on taking me out of context. I didn't say "It's as simple as that" in reference to how to gimp Pit. Thus your trying to make me look like I contradicted myself is just you taking my quote out of context.
Well, you really ought to make yourself clearer. Not everyone knows what you're thinking. In fact, when I was replying to you, there was a word that I used that I thought would have been misunderstood by you, so I went back and changed the word.

bludhoundz said:
I didn't mean literally. I meant it's a one track recovery. You are flying forward. You can angle yourself up and down. That is it. You can choose to cancel the glide or glide attack, but nobody is going to do this until they are already close to the stage.
Ah, so what are you complaining about, then? You know how Pit works.

bludhoundz said:
Gee, instead of arguing you want to just insult me? I did not insult you. I did not insult your favorite character. I simply argue my points and you respond with this. Can we not have this argument RESPECTFULLY?
No, the way you wrote what you wrote made it appear to me as though you were saying, "Fine, be that way. But R.O.B. has this, and I know what you're going to do next, so ha!" And, Pit isn't my favorite character. Samus is.

bludhoundz said:
But you keep ignoring projectiles..
I know. Bowser's Fire Breath is out of reach. Diddy Kong's is out of reach. Falco's is "linear." Fox's doesn't cause flinching. Ice Climbers can't do anything, either. King DeDeDe is too slow to catch up to Pit. Throwing a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, or Gordo would be difficult and perhaps near impossible, due to the fact that they don't fly that far, and King DeDeDe would drop while Pit would be flying upward.

Link's arrows need to be charged for a good distance. The Gale Boomerang would probably help Pit by drawing him back toward Link. Bombs aren't useful. Lucario's Aura Sphere is "linear." In fact, the player would probably try to attack Pit or charge up his Aura Sphere. Lucas can rely on his PK Thunder. Have fun. Luigi or Mario will fail. Mr. Game & Watch's Chef doesn't go far enough. Ness would be similar to Lucas, but strangely, it brings Pit toward the stage, rather than away.

Olimar's Pikmin don't go far enough, and he's not a high jumper. Peach's Turnips won't work. Pikachu is better off using Thunder. Pit can use Palutena's Arrow, so he'd be the only problem. R.O.B. can fire his Robo Beam, and it can angle, but the angle isn't far enough. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard will be unable to hit Pit, due to short projectile. Samus' Charge Shot is "linear." Samus players would be busy either charging up Samus' Charge Shot or finding another way to hitting Pit. Homing Missiles are too slow, and Super Missiles are "linear." Zero Suit Samus is better off using her Plasma Wire.

Snake's Nikita is too slow. His Grenades don't fly that high. Sonic has a Spring. Wow. See Link in regard to Toon Link's methods. Wolf's Blaster won't go far. Yoshi's Egg Throw, while it can be altered in trajectory at the time he tosses it, it will likely not make it. Zelda has Din's Fire. Yay. Sheik's Needles don't go straight when she's in the air. So, would you like to add anything else, or do you see why I paid no attention to your mentioning of projectiles?

bludhoundz said:
Then it's gotta be easier to gimp Pit's WoI, because all you need to do is get nicked by anything dealing damage.
Good luck gimping Pit, even though I don't believe in luck.

bludhoundz said:
If you hit ROB with a really weak attack, it's barely going to gimp him.
Then he'll have to start up his Robo Burner again for each hit, and eventually he'll run out of fuel, because we all know that the Robo Burner doesn't last forever.

bludhoundz said:
Yeah, he's gimpable, but you cannot argue that WoI is a lot less gimpable than Robo Burner. It simply is.
And R.O.B. is an easy target to hit while he is in the state of Robo Burner. You can't argue that, either.

bludhoundz said:
I believe that Robo Burner > WoI. WoI may cover further distance, but it is easier to gimp Pit out of if you have any sort of projectile. The amount of distance it CAN cover is worthless if you get hit. ROB can still continue to cover however much distance even if he gets hit.
So then, if you really want to make up an argument like this, one that is like the Ness versus Ganondorf's spike, who will win, then go ahead.

Easier to Gimp: Pit
Covers More Distance: Pit

Hm, strange that R.O.B. doesn't make it on either of those. That's a shame.

bludhoundz said:
Maybe the glide is better than the Robo Burner when you are level with or above the stage. But if you are below the stage it is definitely not. If Pit is put in a situation where he is far below and away from the stage, he is in a much much worse situation than ROB. I do not see how you can argue against this.
I already have. And that, my friend, depends on what stage you're going to enter.

bludhoundz said:
This strategy of flying away only works against opponents who do not have aimable projectiles. Marth, MK, DK, fine. Try it against another Pit and you're toast.
And then the other Pit player can do the same.

bludhoundz said:
I'm done, if that's what you want. You aren't even attempting to argue some of the points I made. You completely ignored everything I said about projectiles, dismissed my question as irrelevant, and were taking a condescending tone with me in some places.
You're more than welcome to leave if you think you're done here.

Top Bottom