• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

john!

Smash Hero
But if the "good poster" in question's thoughts and feelings don't add anything to the topic, then it could be construed as spam. And since this thread has only been open for about 6 hours, I don't think anyone wants it to be closed again from something like that. Not that there's anything wrong with Doll's current posts, but some of her posts in the past have been a little . . . lacking. All Beros was doing was reminding her to be careful about what she posts, there was no **** being given to anybody. Where were you even getting that from?
i know. but if we take this "no-spam" mentality too far, and start criticizing people who make a few posts which fall into our personal definitions of spam, then the thread becomes a big ****storm of spam accusations and it makes the whole situation even worse. as long as we all take a hint from the recent closure (unjust as it was) and try to post more content and more on-topic, then there's no need for all this paranoia about spamming that i'm seeing today. this thread needs to have the lively, fun atmosphere it used to have, and if it takes an occasional "spam post" to make that happen, then that's fine by me.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Prime, your finds. Amazing. My sig and quote love you.
A bit mentioning of Twilight would be nice though ♥

Also, Espy, I just sent in the order for the 3XL SteamPony shirt
Signed up, got a 10% discount, so the total is $28.00

Edit: @John: That's what Espy and Maan have been using their basis for fighting for our thread. Our community thrives on those social-like posts, but apparently it's not allowed here. Anyways it's only one reminder. We were told to use the report button for cases and need not waste posts making more accusations. Might as well get all these cleared up as soon as possible so we don't have to go back to this topic about "spam posts"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
$28 bones? Alrighty then. Many thanks, Beros.

@john: Pretty much what Beros said. In addition, a reported post doesn't immediately mean that there's trouble for the user that was reported. It still needs to be run through the moderators of the sub-forum before any type of punishment is given out, so even if someone reports because the spam matches their personal definition, it's not guaranteed to follow through once it reaches the users with infraction powers.

As long as users take responsibility for their reporting decisions, everything should go smoothly. As a moderator, I'm obligated to help ensure that this thread doesn't deteriorate into more spam than is desired, so that explains why I've been telling a few of you guys in here to calm down.

:applejack:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man, I just realized how much nerd this screams.

Discord has a voice actor from Star Trek.

The episode's ending was just like Star Wars'.

And this is a show for a little girls being watched by basement dwellers.
Those damn Discord Advice memes, "Defeat Star Trek Villain, get Star Wars Ending"

Am I the only one that found the last episodes to be a little weak? Seeing Fluttershy be mean was funny though.
I dunno, was too busy noticing Pinkie being too engorged in Chocolate.

It was also fluttershy's second rage.
...Rage?

I'm a Cancer. :)
I'm an Aries, no wonder I always think i'm bad and only want first.

So guys, I PROPOSE AN MLP RELATED TO LION KING TO-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufXf67qBcc

This is the worst video ever.

Look at 1:55 and rage.
nah, the whole video was terrible. This is why I stopped watching TV last year around July...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You guys are insane.
That video was delicious, delicious gold.

@Krys: Courage was amazing, and that made me lol.
@Sparkchu: It was good, but I personally feel like it ran just a little too long.
But that's just me. :applejack:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Hi dudes. I'm sure it's already been told to you guys, but it would really help me out for y'all to not be shy about the Report button. This thread is way too active for me to keep on top of it all the time. I'm sure many of you also don't like it when this thread gets crappy and derailed. I personally don't think closing this thread was a great idea to begin with, but I'd like to help you guys avoid that again, without having to suffer reading this thread several times a day.
Quoting for emphasis.

celestia->mufasa
I was skimming, so I really don't know the context, but no. (no)

You guys are insane.
That video was delicious, delicious gold.

@Krys: Courage was amazing, and that made me lol.
@Sparkchu: It was good, but I personally feel like it ran just a little too long.
But that's just me. :applejack:
Courage was great.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Blank Flank :
1) Set clock between 11pm and 5:59am.
2) Start game.
3) Hear every piece of dialogue including that of Pinkie before you've got all the invites.
4) Make good muffin. Donate to Derpy.
5) Check every piece of dialogue out again (also Zacora's). Make sure not to trigger Super Filly.
6) Go to the Evergreen forest.
NOTE : Once you've reached the edge of Evergreen, and triggered Blank Flank correctly, it's one-way.
wait, blank flank? as in the same sorta thing that happens in the applebloom game?
nope.jpg
that thing scared the life out of my multiple times, i am 4x weak to creepy

anyway, good to see this thread is up and running again, the backup social can be tucked away neatly untill this thread gets locked again (if ever)
heres my pony contribution for the day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HZp4ClFXY

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
hello dear bronies,

first of all this is no offence or something
I made a thread about the ponys the day before yesterday or so and I come to the conclusion that alot of people just use the series to troll other people.
but when I read a couple of posts here everyone seems to be so obsessed with the show

so why WHY why do all of you watch this show?
Explain it to me please
I watched the show for a couple of minutes with a friend of mine just to laugh together.
We ended up that I will draw him some ponys for birthday beside the present I already bought for him :D
this will be hilarious.

but all in all I really dont get the charm of the show.

anyway, good to see this thread is up and running again, the backup social can be tucked away neatly untill this thread gets locked again (if ever)
heres my pony contribution for the day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HZp4ClFXY
this song really got me although it's about ponys

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't feel like making an essay on it, but I will type that I like it cause it's cutesy and better than most of the generic crap Cartoons are today. (Like Mad TV or most of the new **** CN is releasing)
Besides, the only ones who use it to troll is mostly 4chan or just random internet trolls that aren't really good at it. Hell last week 4chan started trolling /co/ over some canada DA show saying stuff like it's the "next MLP"

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
I don't feel like making an essay on it, but I will type that I like it cause it's cutesy and better than most of the generic crap Cartoons are today. (Like Mad TV or most of the new **** CN is releasing)
Besides, the only ones who use it to troll is mostly 4chan or just random internet trolls that aren't really good at it. Hell last week 4chan started trolling /co/ over some canada DA show saying stuff like it's the "next MLP"

well I'm from germany the cartoons I can find on tv are very old but there are bad too :D

would be awesome to here more opinions I'm really intressted in these internet phenomenons even if I don't understand them
maybe I'll really watch this show sometimes xP

the troll thing;of course the most pony trolls are an 4 chan but I read a lot of boards and the ponys are nearly everywhere it cant be serious
there must be some trolls in there

and no it's not a mlp site :troll:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants an answer to this eternal question.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Really? The timelength was average at best.

Check out some actual movie trailers. Some of those are no longer than 2:35 mins.
Doesn't make my point less valid. It was simply too long for the content. Movie trailers are for films that exceed an hour...an hour and a half, maybe even two, tops. Your trailer was for something that's only 44 minutes in length. The trailer time doesn't feel practical. Besides, you did what every animated cartoon ever does. You squeezed everything worth watching into 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

=====

@Ohsm: There really isn't some kind of hidden secret to what makes the show good for any of us, and I can guarantee that you'll receive a unique answer from everypony in here.

Simply put, the show is good. I watch it because it's enjoyable to watch. I feel that it's worth my time. The elements of the show are all of the above.

That's really it. :applejack:

Ryo242

Smash Ace
My answer is more complex than just I like the show. (Which I do, I mean this show entertains me on many a different scale. Plus all the meta and internet things that follow are enjoyable too)

I'm pretty sure the only reason I continued to watch after the pilot was that it blew up my predictions.. and that's not easily done. >: I'm one of those movie people that can look at a scene of a movie and go: "That's this movie", and most of the time I've never seen it before. I just know the stuff.

And the show keeps consistently destroying my predictions (or hitting me with ones that didn't seem possible), which for some reason makes me happy. Or maybe it makes me happy while it does it which also makes me amused.. Either way, it's still a huge source of enjoyment and entertainment and conversation.

On another note, has anyone heard of Nysyarc? Ike from Canada?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
On another note, has anyone heard of Nysyarc? Ike from Canada?
of course, why? are you after the video of his now-famous tech victory against raziek?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA

as for why i like this show...i really dont know if theres any single reason:
each character is very well developed and are all pretty unique
the attention to detail is incredible, very smoothly animated and everything in the background is vibrant unlike most animated series.
its really cute (-1 man point)
its happy and cheery without being disturbingly girly
the humour isnt exclusive to children, the great animation means that any attempt at slapstick is pretty sucessful (see: flutterguy)
the team of people working on the show have a sense of humour, sticking small things in that just make people s****** (e.g: lyra sitting like a human, derpy's eyes being intentionally off)
people worknig on the show like to talk to the fanbase, not part of the initial draw, but it helps keep people here
voice acting is actually good. and songs are pretty good (see: winter wrap up)

i has some others, but ive forgotten it a bit

Ryo242

Smash Ace
of course, why? are you after the video of his now-famous tech victory against raziek?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA

as for why i like this show...i really dont know if theres any single reason:
each character is very well developed and are all pretty unique
the attention to detail is incredible, very smoothly animated and everything in the background is vibrant unlike most animated series.
its really cute (-1 man point)
its happy and cheery without being disturbingly girly
the humour isnt exclusive to children, the great animation means that any attempt at slapstick is pretty sucessful (see: flutterguy)
the team of people working on the show have a sense of humour, sticking small things in that just make people s****** (e.g: lyra sitting like a human, derpy's eyes being intentionally off)
people worknig on the show like to talk to the fanbase, not part of the initial draw, but it helps keep people here
voice acting is actually good. and songs are pretty good (see: winter wrap up)

i has some others, but ive forgotten it a bit
Naw, I already found the video and that's how I learned about him. :3 But this means I have a new Ike to study AT from. Oh and speaking of Ike.. Shall we fight later this day? Considering I'll be home at approximately... 9 PM your time. x-x; C'est la vie.

I did forget those extra reasonings. It just seems like the creators know what they are doing.

In just the two new episodes alone there is so much extra fun. Discord being Q, Chocolate Rain, TOM being cool because he developed a name... and a bunch of others I don't feel like listing because it would drive me crazy.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Naw, I already found the video and that's how I learned about him. :3 But this means I have a new Ike to study AT from. Oh and speaking of Ike.. Shall we fight later this day? Considering I'll be home at approximately... 9 PM your time. x-x; C'est la vie.

I did forget those extra reasonings. It just seems like the creators know what they are doing.

In just the two new episodes alone there is so much extra fun. Discord being Q, Chocolate Rain, TOM being cool because he developed a name... and a bunch of others I don't feel like listing because it would drive me crazy.
ike hasnt got much in the way of AT's buddy, literally its just jab cancelling into things and ledgejump tricks
and yeah sure, ill get on i suppose XD i certainly havent got anythign else to do

also, tom the rock is cool because he has me name. i wish for someone to turn the whole 'look out, here comes tom' soundclip into a ringtone, it suits me so well XD

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
hello dear bronies,

so why WHY why do all of you watch this show?
Explain it to me please

but all in all I really dont get the charm of the show.
We'd expect something to be as horribly conveyed as the previous generations, but the fact that Lauren Faust, one of the creators of PPG and FHfIF was the producer, caught my attention.

Yes, it's still cutesy, but the characters are each given a dynamic personality that each of us associate ourselves with (hence our mane favorites) and for something aimed to teaching values to little girls, retain cartoonish aspects. Silly puns, stretching of limbs, occasional slapstick, and when's the last time you seen a pot, anvil, and a grand piano dropped on a ponies head, let alone a whole stage set on little fillies, and survive?

Ryo242

Smash Ace
ike hasnt got much in the way of AT's buddy, literally its just jab cancelling into things and ledgejump tricks
and yeah sure, ill get on i suppose XD i certainly havent got anythign else to do

also, tom the rock is cool because he has me name. i wish for someone to turn the whole 'look out, here comes tom' soundclip into a ringtone, it suits me so well XD
You forget reverse Aether, reverse Up-Smash, running b-air, Viper combo (I think that's what it's called), F-air back onto stage from ledge, U-air back on stage from ledge, Quick Draw back on stage from ledge, and many others.

How shall I reach you once I return home? That will either surely make or break my day.. ;_;

If people are offering to make ringtones from soundclips, I want Ganondorf laughing maniacally at the end of Wind Waker as mine. Either way, somepony out there will should be willing to fulfill your request for pony ringtone sound paraphenalia.

Now to make this post slightly more pony related... Geo, I don't think I've seen fillies on set doing a quote unquote: "Wicked Rock Ballet" x-x

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
There are a few reason I love this show.. What you guys said covers most... I like how each character has different personalities and hobbies not only is it super cute but the humor and puns are def not only for little kids.. The villians in this show are sooo entertaining and funny!. And like RYO said the things that follow like this thread and the ppl just make things 20% cooler(enjoyable)
You need to start watching the show with an open mind and watch more than one episode to understand that its not like a little girls show anymore. Its more than that.

:phone:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well Ohsm, right here you have somebody who's seen the development of the fandom since day 1, seeing even the first thread made about the show.

The first time the subject came up was on 4chan's /co/, and got attention because of an article some feminazi made saying the show is racist, gay-bashing, and a lot of other outrageous claims. This sparked some interest among people, and even more-so when Lauren Faust made a counter-letter to the article because then people realized she was going for something different and, hell, it's Lauren Faust. Freaking Craig McCracken's wife.

I'm open to new things, so I gave it a shot. I was surprisingly charmed by it. After a sea of ****ty cartoons that I couldn't stand being pumped out of every network with cartoons, and nearly losing faith in all things animated, it was a much needed refresher. Like many others on that faithful day, we all said, "Hey, this isn't bad."

The following started small. Could be referred to as a cult following. And I never expected it to get further than that. I assumed there'd be a small group of fans that hung around on /co/ and that's it. But it grew and grew and grew, enough that it actually started to garner hate from people for its popularity. And that's when a sort-of civil war on the subject broke out on 4chan. I won't get too much into it, but all things pony related were getting unfairly banned, yet there was resistanace and everything went to chaos.

Anyway, it's after then that places like ponychan and FiMchan got popular, and by now, fansites were growing and places like here caught the pony bug. And it's all from a chain reaction of the original people going, "Hey, this show isn't bad, give it a shot."

However, after this point is when I believe the show started getting meme-atic. There were people jumping on the bandwagon just because of its growing popularity. At this point, plenty of people use it to troll or don't even know much about the actual show and are clinging to it because its popular. The biggest popularity spike likely isn't all because people legitimately like the show.

However, like I said, there are plenty of us who do actually like it, and the fandom pumps out some of the greatest fan content of any fanbase out there. The amount of art/music/videos. It's intense. And the nods the creators of the show actually give us feel awesome.

So there you go, that's a short version of the show's rise to popularity and/or infamy.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't remember the exact date, but I remember being in the thread on the day it was made since I "know" I was still into competitive pokemon and was on /vp/ trading with others.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Zajice's long post was fun to read, but especially so because Ohsm never asked how it rose to popularity.
I might write more as to my perspective of the show in a bit. Trying to get a buncha stuff outta the way first.

:applejack:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well he asked why we all watch the show. I kinda explained how the whole fanbase got into the show.

Actually, I have a timeline of everything somewhere. Let's see if I can find it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Only reason I got into it was because I was a fan of the McCrackenFaust combo of toons during the 90s. The chans never really influenced my decision.
That, and I initially read about it from a Wikipedia article, or something like that. Guess I'm just one of the tiny few. :applejack:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I realized I worded that kinda badly though. The article isn't the main reason it gained attention. It was just a big boost.

The first real BIG pony thread was the creation of Derpy Hooves. There were a few before that but they were relatively small.

Edit:
Found it.

A few months old, but eh.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I've never been a 4chan visiter. I've lingered on it once or twice, but it's just never been interesting for me. Also, I need colorful/organized things to keep my attention, and 4chan has neither of those to satisfy my needs. :p
I remember that blog, and I remember seeing that timeline on EqD.

Funny to see how it boomed. You can pinpoint the exact moment where people were telling themselves, "wait a second, this show is good?" :applejack:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You forget reverse Aether, reverse Up-Smash, running b-air, Viper combo (I think that's what it's called), F-air back onto stage from ledge, U-air back on stage from ledge, Quick Draw back on stage from ledge, and many others.

How shall I reach you once I return home? That will either surely make or break my day.. ;_;

If people are offering to make ringtones from soundclips, I want Ganondorf laughing maniacally at the end of Wind Waker as mine. Either way, somepony out there will should be willing to fulfill your request for pony ringtone sound paraphenalia.

Now to make this post slightly more pony related... Geo, I don't think I've seen fillies on set doing a quote unquote: "Wicked Rock Ballet" x-x
the only one of them thats exclusive to ike is viper combo (which is-by the way-completely useless)
reverse aether is simple, simply press up-back B and you turn around while donig aether.

running b-air is also simple, simply dash forward, then press back, shortly followed by jump. and then hit the c-stick forward (forward being the direction you were dashing)

reverse u-smash is like the runing bair (infact its identical) only that instead of pressing the c-stick forward after pressing jump you have to press up+Attack, and it has to be done very quickly after pressing jump

aerials onto the stage from the ledge are really easy too. simply press down and then jump+forward very fast afterwards. then input whatever youre after, although for ike the only things in this fashion which are useful is air-dodge and N-air, doing an airdodge onstage is easy, n-air onstage requires a bit of practise, because if you mess it up and dont get onstage you lose a stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom