• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lmao. Leaf, that was very well done, you just earned more cool points in my book, I approve.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
so... this has probably been asked before, and I know it has nothing to do with the current conversation, but it's been bugging me lately, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

why or how is Luna so different in appearance from the end of Ep2 to the Ep Luna Eclipsed?

[COLLAPSE="The Two Lunas"]

[/COLLAPSE]I don't want to make a huge deal of it, of course, but it's like, she's Applebloom's age then she's Lunesta's age (although Lunesta still has the larger wingspan and presence, obviously she's the real power in Equestria).

Or is this just a stylistic choice to show how Luna felt emotionally "small" ... ?

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I think it was agreed upon that her magical power was sealed, being on the moon, and upon being back it was restored, along with her "proper appearance".

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
I finally made my own OC pony, his name's Barry. He's an alicorn like Celestia and Luna. In fact he's their older brother, but they never mention him in the show. He controls stars and planets and stuff, but he could also control the sun and moon too if he wanted to I guess. He also did a Sonic Rainboom once but it was called a Solar Starboom because it was all starry, and it happened in space which is why no one knows about it except Celestia and Luna. Also he can do it whever he wants. And he was the one alicorn Discord was afraid of, that's why Discord waited until Barry went on vacation before he broke out of his stone imprisonment. That's because Barry was the one who actually created the Elements of Harmony for Celestia and Luna to use way back when because he can do stuff like that. He also makes, like, the best pumpkin pies.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
the punctuation was atrocious, and the author didn't even bother to use complete sentences.

sometimes i wonder why our society doesn't give a **** about grammar anymore. i bet it's all this garbage television.
I disagree. The orthographical errors are used intentionally for the purposes of commentary. Without them, the story would lose a lot of its weight.

There's a degree of poetry in the writing style, which is something a lot of authors unfortunately forgo in today's literature.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Did that guy do Old Spice commercials?

the punctuation was atrocious, and the author didn't even bother to use complete sentences.

sometimes i wonder why our society doesn't give a **** about grammar anymore. i bet it's all this garbage television.
Says the guy who didn't capitalize anything in the entire post.

[collapse=I'm trying to think of a good name for this and so far it's down to "Equestrian Masques" or "Champions of Equestria", both based on horrible sets I know but I don't have much to work with]

Rainbow Dash - She seems to me like she's just a mediocre cross between Brooding Saurian and Chandra's Phoenix. She's good enough to see play since her very strange ability basically makes her unblockable (except by stuff like Rorix Bladewing I guess), but in the end she's just a one toughness dork to get hit by Gut Shot. Red decks can be doing much better things with their mana than playing her. Speaking of toughness, why does she only have one? I was of the opinion that she was one of the tougher ponies of the show, I thought she'd at least be a 3/2.

Pinkie Pie - Flavor-wise, both in terms of what the card does and Pinkie's personality, this should be a red card instead of a black one. Not being able to block and randomness are both more red traits than black. Black is all about greed and serving oneself, and that couldn't be further from Pinkie Pie's character. Red is about impulse, emotion, and snap judgments, which fits both the mechanics of this card and Pinkie Pie's personality much better. Frankly the only reason I really see this card being black at all is because no other card is black, which would make sense because none of these ponies are that inherently selfish. As far as the card itself goes, it's ok but it's really just a slightly different version of Liliana of the Veil. I don't want to say that it's better or worse because although Liliana can't do any damage, Pinkie Pie can't take hits for you, which is only partly negated by her life gain ability, but your opponent also gains life, which negates that advantage, so I guess Liliana is still slightly better. Overall, I'd say I like this card about at much as I like Pinkie Pie.

Rarity - If Rainbow Dash is a worse version of Chandra's Phoenix (with Brooding Saurian mixed in) and Pinkie Pie is a worse version of Liliana of the Veil (with Goblin Goblin Raider mixed in), Rarity is a worse version of Kuldotha Forgemaster (with Donate mixed in). Like Forgemaster, Rarity is very situational, but unlike Forgemaster she is also very, very mana intensive. The donate side of her comes into play with cutesy things you can give to your opponent - stuff like Mana Vault, Mindstorm Crown, Esperzoa, or Bottled Cloister. But really, the best way to use Rarity is probably just to get a bunch of artifact mana onto the field (moxen, signets, talismans, Sphere of Suns, artifact lands, whatever) and Donate it all to your opponent to get out your Blightsteel Colossus (or better yet, get THEIR Blightsteel Colossus if you know they have one). But the problem with this is that your opponent will untap with more mana (probably blue mana), making it easy for them to deal with both Rarity and Colossus if you're not adequately prepared. There's also the issue of not having any artifact mana at the time, and the even bigger issue of mirror matches. Rarity would work well with Goblin Welder and Thirst for Knowledge though - EOT TFK could get a Gilded Lotus into the graveyard, Rarity could ship artifact mana over to the opponent to get a Myr Battlesphere, Battlesphere can tap all the myr tokens, Welder can switch Battlesphere for Gilded Lotus, Rarity can ship random myr to the opponent to get Triskelion, Trike can shoot the myr, and finally Rarity can ship the remaining Myr, Trike, and Lotus to the opponent to get Blightsteel (or Steel Hellkite or Wurmcoil Engine or whatever). It's a neat trick, but again, why not just use Forgemaster? With Forgemaster you don't have to worry about giving your opponent anything, you don't have to pay mana, and you get better synergy with cards that artifacts love like Mishra's Workshop and Lodestone Golem. Rarity's power and toughness are also not that impressive but at least she can survive Lightning Bolt, which is more than I can say for most of the rest of them.

Applejack - So far we've pretty much just seen inferior imitations of cards that already exist and are good. But with Applejack, we see a far better version of a few cards that might not have been so hot previously. A green 3/4 for 4 with either of these abilities individually would be a really strong card since it would open up more options for green mid-range decks while still providing a good sized body. With both of these abilities, Applejack is one of the best mid-range creatures out there. She needs to cost 3GG at least, and even then she may be undercosted. You can't have Exploration and Natural Affinity on the same card and then slap a 3 power body onto it too. This is kinda ridiculous.

Fluttershy - Fluttershy is actually a fun ans awesome card. Her strength lies not in her measly toughness or the fact that she doesn't have flying as a constant ability even though she's a pegasus, but in her ability to constantly Gigadrowse all of the opponent's creatures. This can not only Fog your opponent down before they attack but also clear blockers out of your way to make room for your attackers. Fluttershy also works in many different types of decks - Control can use her to tap down attackers late game and clock the opponent (though if she doesn't have equipment it will be a very slow clock), and aggro decks, specifically white weenie, can use her as a late game bomb to beat out other aggro decks. The white weenie analogy is particularly interesting since Fluttershy works well with small animals, so it's pretty fitting that she'd fit here.

Twilight Sparkle - As a combo player, Twilight Sparkle is exactly the type of card I would have loved to play with. Reducing the cost of all spells by two mana is a big deal, but allowing you to replace that two mana with a cantrip is huge. Meditate, Thirst For Knowledge, Gush, and Draw7s are ridiculous. Defense Grid becomes a free permanent Mana Leak. Time Vault and Voltaic Key both become free. Sol Ring becomes Mana Crypt, Grim Monolith and Mana Vault become colorless Black Lotuses. Cunning Wish, Intuition, Tinker, and Yawgmoth's ****ing Will all cost one mana. And the best part is that you can pay mana for all of them for a free cantrip if you need it. Twilight is just downright incredible with her abilities...but at the same time she won't be that good in combo decks because of the nature of herself. See, there are two basic types of engine cards in combo decks: Yawgmoth's Bargains and Mind's Desires. Yawgmoth's Bargains are the cards that will help you win, but you need a little extra effort to make them work. You can't just play a Bargain and expect to win that same turn. If you use all your mana to play Bargain, you'll have to hope that you can draw a free mana source before you hit 0 life, which may not happen. Even if you play Bargain with 1 mana left over, depending on what color it is you may still be screwed - if you only have a black leftover and you don't get Dark Ritual or if you only have a blue leftover and you don't draw Brainstorm. This effectively means that you need at least 4UBBB before you play Yawg Bargain - 4BB for Bargain, B for Dark Ritual, and U to use on blue spells that you draw. By contrast, a sufficiently large Mind's Desire has a more immediate and significant effect on the game and takes far fewer resources to accomplish. A decent sized Desire (Storm count of 6 or more) can find the spells that will either win you the game or put you in a position to win the game, and you can play them for free, making it risk-free provided they don't have Stifle and there are no unfortunate Desire piles (like when you get 3 or more lands off it, that really ruins your whole day). Desire requires no commitment aside from the initial casting cost and it will often pull out the things you need free of additional charges. As far as the comparisons between these two go, Twilight is definitely a Yawgmoth's Bargain. Although Hexproof greatly increases her chances of living through to the next turn, to be most effective, Twilight will need to be played when you have some draw spells to spare as well as lots of blue mana to back her up. For this reason, the only deck I can see Twilight working well in is High Tide, since that deck's combo is based almost exclusively around building up tons of blue mana for a lethal Blue Sun's Zenith anyway.
[/collapse]

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
[collapse=I'm trying to think of a good name for this and so far it's down to "Equestrian Masques" or "Champions of Equestria", both based on horrible sets I know but I don't have much to work with]

Rainbow Dash - She seems to me like she's just a mediocre cross between Brooding Saurian and Chandra's Phoenix. She's good enough to see play since her very strange ability basically makes her unblockable (except by stuff like Rorix Bladewing I guess), but in the end she's just a one toughness dork to get hit by Gut Shot. Red decks can be doing much better things with their mana than playing her. Speaking of toughness, why does she only have one? I was of the opinion that she was one of the tougher ponies of the show, I thought she'd at least be a 3/2.

Pinkie Pie - Flavor-wise, both in terms of what the card does and Pinkie's personality, this should be a red card instead of a black one. Not being able to block and randomness are both more red traits than black. Black is all about greed and serving oneself, and that couldn't be further from Pinkie Pie's character. Red is about impulse, emotion, and snap judgments, which fits both the mechanics of this card and Pinkie Pie's personality much better. Frankly the only reason I really see this card being black at all is because no other card is black, which would make sense because none of these ponies are that inherently selfish. As far as the card itself goes, it's ok but it's really just a slightly different version of Liliana of the Veil. I don't want to say that it's better or worse because although Liliana can't do any damage, Pinkie Pie can't take hits for you, which is only partly negated by her life gain ability, but your opponent also gains life, which negates that advantage, so I guess Liliana is still slightly better. Overall, I'd say I like this card about at much as I like Pinkie Pie.

Rarity - If Rainbow Dash is a worse version of Chandra's Phoenix (with Brooding Saurian mixed in) and Pinkie Pie is a worse version of Liliana of the Veil (with Goblin Goblin Raider mixed in), Rarity is a worse version of Kuldotha Forgemaster (with Donate mixed in). Like Forgemaster, Rarity is very situational, but unlike Forgemaster she is also very, very mana intensive. The donate side of her comes into play with cutesy things you can give to your opponent - stuff like Mana Vault, Mindstorm Crown, Esperzoa, or Bottled Cloister. But really, the best way to use Rarity is probably just to get a bunch of artifact mana onto the field (moxen, signets, talismans, Sphere of Suns, artifact lands, whatever) and Donate it all to your opponent to get out your Blightsteel Colossus (or better yet, get THEIR Blightsteel Colossus if you know they have one). But the problem with this is that your opponent will untap with more mana (probably blue mana), making it easy for them to deal with both Rarity and Colossus if you're not adequately prepared. There's also the issue of not having any artifact mana at the time, and the even bigger issue of mirror matches. Rarity would work well with Goblin Welder and Thirst for Knowledge though - EOT TFK could get a Gilded Lotus into the graveyard, Rarity could ship artifact mana over to the opponent to get a Myr Battlesphere, Battlesphere can tap all the myr tokens, Welder can switch Battlesphere for Gilded Lotus, Rarity can ship random myr to the opponent to get Triskelion, Trike can shoot the myr, and finally Rarity can ship the remaining Myr, Trike, and Lotus to the opponent to get Blightsteel (or Steel Hellkite or Wurmcoil Engine or whatever). It's a neat trick, but again, why not just use Forgemaster? With Forgemaster you don't have to worry about giving your opponent anything, you don't have to pay mana, and you get better synergy with cards that artifacts love like Mishra's Workshop and Lodestone Golem. Rarity's power and toughness are also not that impressive but at least she can survive Lightning Bolt, which is more than I can say for most of the rest of them.

Applejack - So far we've pretty much just seen inferior imitations of cards that already exist and are good. But with Applejack, we see a far better version of a few cards that might not have been so hot previously. A green 3/4 for 4 with either of these abilities individually would be a really strong card since it would open up more options for green mid-range decks while still providing a good sized body. With both of these abilities, Applejack is one of the best mid-range creatures out there. She needs to cost 3GG at least, and even then she may be undercosted. You can't have Exploration and Natural Affinity on the same card and then slap a 3 power body onto it too. This is kinda ridiculous.

Fluttershy - Fluttershy is actually a fun ans awesome card. Her strength lies not in her measly toughness or the fact that she doesn't have flying as a constant ability even though she's a pegasus, but in her ability to constantly Gigadrowse all of the opponent's creatures. This can not only Fog your opponent down before they attack but also clear blockers out of your way to make room for your attackers. Fluttershy also works in many different types of decks - Control can use her to tap down attackers late game and clock the opponent (though if she doesn't have equipment it will be a very slow clock), and aggro decks, specifically white weenie, can use her as a late game bomb to beat out other aggro decks. The white weenie analogy is particularly interesting since Fluttershy works well with small animals, so it's pretty fitting that she'd fit here.

Twilight Sparkle - As a combo player, Twilight Sparkle is exactly the type of card I would have loved to play with. Reducing the cost of all spells by two mana is a big deal, but allowing you to replace that two mana with a cantrip is huge. Meditate, Thirst For Knowledge, Gush, and Draw7s are ridiculous. Defense Grid becomes a free permanent Mana Leak. Time Vault and Voltaic Key both become free. Sol Ring becomes Mana Crypt, Grim Monolith and Mana Vault become colorless Black Lotuses. Cunning Wish, Intuition, Tinker, and Yawgmoth's ****ing Will all cost one mana. And the best part is that you can pay mana for all of them for a free cantrip if you need it. Twilight is just downright incredible with her abilities...but at the same time she won't be that good in combo decks because of the nature of herself. See, there are two basic types of engine cards in combo decks: Yawgmoth's Bargains and Mind's Desires. Yawgmoth's Bargains are the cards that will help you win, but you need a little extra effort to make them work. You can't just play a Bargain and expect to win that same turn. If you use all your mana to play Bargain, you'll have to hope that you can draw a free mana source before you hit 0 life, which may not happen. Even if you play Bargain with 1 mana left over, depending on what color it is you may still be screwed - if you only have a black leftover and you don't get Dark Ritual or if you only have a blue leftover and you don't draw Brainstorm. This effectively means that you need at least 4UBBB before you play Yawg Bargain - 4BB for Bargain, B for Dark Ritual, and U to use on blue spells that you draw. By contrast, a sufficiently large Mind's Desire has a more immediate and significant effect on the game and takes far fewer resources to accomplish. A decent sized Desire (Storm count of 6 or more) can find the spells that will either win you the game or put you in a position to win the game, and you can play them for free, making it risk-free provided they don't have Stifle and there are no unfortunate Desire piles (like when you get 3 or more lands off it, that really ruins your whole day). Desire requires no commitment aside from the initial casting cost and it will often pull out the things you need free of additional charges. As far as the comparisons between these two go, Twilight is definitely a Yawgmoth's Bargain. Although Hexproof greatly increases her chances of living through to the next turn, to be most effective, Twilight will need to be played when you have some draw spells to spare as well as lots of blue mana to back her up. For this reason, the only deck I can see Twilight working well in is High Tide, since that deck's combo is based almost exclusively around building up tons of blue mana for a lethal Blue Sun's Zenith anyway.
[/collapse]

M!nt

Smash Champion
"Lands you control are you control are 2/3 green Horse creatures that are still lands"

That whole statement confuses my brain. Maybe because I don't play Magic.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Lands you control are you control are 2/3 green Horse creatures that are still lands"

That whole statement confuses my brain. Maybe because I don't play Magic.
it's supposed to say
"Lands you control are 2/3 green Horse creatures and are still lands"
Look up something like Celestial Colonnade or Creeping Tar Pit for an example of a creature-land.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
So I caught a glance of Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale, and there was a rocking horse that sevrely resembled Pinkie Pie.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Yeah, I saw it too.

But I would hate to see that movie again as every new Tom and Jerry show/episodes/movies are very very bad.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Tom and Jerry went downhill when they started talking. Constant failure ever since.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The T&J cartons from the 50's and 60's were the good ones.

The new versions released not too long ago were boooooring.

EDIT: When did ever Tom & Jerry talk?

M!nt

Smash Champion
I do watch nostalgia critic lol, but that's not where I first saw that movie.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I didn't say they talked anymore than that one movie, I said after that I feel they lost quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom