• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MXC Mafia! End of Game! ~Meat Handlers and Cartoon Voice Actors Win!~

M.K

Level 55
What constitutes a mislynch in this game, anyhow?
For all you care, if a member of the opposite team is lynched, you succeed anyhow.
In that situation, can you constitute a mislynch if the overall result is not detrimental towards your own cause?

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
What constitutes a mislynch in this game, anyhow?
For all you care, if a member of the opposite team is lynched, you succeed anyhow.
In that situation, can you constitute a mislynch if the overall result is not detrimental towards your own cause?
Tbh, I never really thought of this, but does it even matter? Also are you accusing me of trying to go out of my way to lynch the opposite team? If so, then I would have to remind you that there is no way for me to know rather or not I'm going after my own team or not. If not, then please ignore.

Btw I was thinking of it from a perceptive of lynching scum, not the other team. So the definition of mislynch I used was "the lynching of a townie, or in this case, a contestant.

D

Deleted member

Overswarm said:
Does anyone not agree with adumbrodeus' kirbyyoshi lynch plan?
The plan isn't the worst I've ever seen and I'm not going to call you or adumbrodeus auto-scums, but choosing to lynch him just because he got prodded or he doesn't post the next time he's on the site doesn't really sit well with me. If we lynch his slot right then and there, we're basically taking a shot in the dark with the only piece of evidence being meta and lack of knowledge if he confirmed or not (On a general bases). Consider the possibility that he is town, if he does flip town, we would have gotten absolutely no information off of him, regardless of role. If he flips scum, then I'll be fine, but even then, there's a problem. We would have lynched Kirbyoshi when he has yet to post. That means to search for connections, we don't have the scumbag posts to work off of. Instead, we would have to rely off the mouth of players, which is a much harder way to find connections.

If we lynch Kirbyoshi under adumbrodeus's Kirbyoshi's plan, the best scenario is a weak win - lose situation. Yes it's great to hit scum like you said earlier, but we can't work with his posts since he has posted nothing. Sure we could use other players posts for potential connection, but town attempting connection between scum players could be a bit difficult. Town flip happens and we would have basically wasted a day lynching an inactive that hasn't posted at all anyway.

Personally, if Kirbyoshi doesn't speak, I suggest that we wait for his replacement instead to see what he does and examine his actions to see if the person continues to be lynch-worthy or not. We will gain a lot more information out of the replacement and it will benefit town a lot more.

If we choose to lynch Kirbyoshi's slot Day 1, we should at least make use of Day 1. Quick lynches are known to be detrimental to town, as they result in less information and increase the chance of a scum win. We can use this oppertunity to find other scums to lynch in later Days and prehaps we'll have a better time in searching for connecting with Kirbyoshi and other players in the scenario Kirbyoshi does flip scum. Another good thing about lynching later in Day 1 is that even if Kirbyoshi does flip town, we will have our other suspects and be able to push cases against them instead of being "Who do we go after?" in the following days.

M.K

Level 55
@Sworddancer,

I wasn't implying that you were trying to lynch the other team instead of Mafia, sorry if it came off that way.
Nonetheless, I suppose we'll cross the OS-being-a-faker-oh-noez-what-ever-shall-we-do bridge when/if we come to it.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
How about this, if he doesn't post next time he's on the site, we lynch him, if he doesn't post in time to avoid a prod, we lynch him. If there's a whole in his explanation, we lynch him.

And only IF it actually posts something reasonable (in the allotted timeframe) do we consider the possibility of not lynching him.

Fair enough?

That way game doesn't get stalled and we force him to post.
(bolding for emphasis is mine)

As I said before, I'm for Kirbyoshi's lynch in general for today, but it's hard to say I'm for doing it this quickly (and without any defense whatsoever). To put the timing of his lynch in perspective, we should lynch him NOW according to adumbrodeus, because he has visited SWF since the quoted post above yet has not posted here. (source: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=154335 ) With nine days still left until deadline, and several players who have not said much outside of the "random" phase, it really does seem rushed to end the day now. Plus, SSBF does bring up valid points about the lack of information obtained on such quick days.

So what do we gain by ending the day now as opposed to sometime later? Suppose we wait, and suppose the worst case scenario happens: the game stalls out almost entirely for a week, with only me posting "hi" every day. I'm sure there would be enough votes to ensure Kirbyoshi's lynch before deadline, so that situation would be essentially the same as tacking on three more votes now. Now suppose we wait, and anything happens that involves more posting/activity than what I jokingly suggested above. We have more information to work with, and we'll end up with at least the same meta-lynch unless something very surprising happens. As SSBF said:
If we choose to lynch Kirbyoshi's slot Day 1, we should at least make use of Day 1.

M.K

Level 55
There is a point, however, in most games that the value of a day begins to decline. That is, I especially do not want Kirbyoshi to come in, post within a day or two of the limit, then scramble for a 2nd best/possible no lynch.
I'm all for extending the use of the day, however, I don't want people to be soft on their decisions either. If we're going to make use of the day as presented, we may as well HAVE a plan instead of allowing the more flip-floppy members (or mafia, perhaps) to sway an otherwise eventual outcome.

#HBC | Dancer

Post 123 is a bit weird to me. SSBF, it sounds like you would rather have Kirbyoshi be replaced then to lynch him, even though (we think) that we caught him red-handed? Am I reading that right? Actually, Fan, you've been kinda pushing against the Kirbyoshi lynch. Do I see a possible chainsaw defense going on here?

D

Deleted member

SSBF, can you summarize on what grounds people are wanting to lynch off Kirbyoshi?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Shoot, I realized a fallacy in my previous logic about there being 3 mafia members.

The mafia has to be even-numbered, or else the 2 competing teams are uneven!

I seriously doubt that the game was intended to have unequal teams starting before the first challenge, which would mean that the mafia would be made up of either 2 or 4 members. In this case, the game is too large for only 2, so I would think that there are 4 of them. Scratch my previous thoughts regarding 3 mafia members.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Btw OS you do realize that if you're wrong about Kirbyoshi (assuming he does end up toDay's lynch) then you pretty much have to go, right?
Because in that situation he led a mislynch and probably lied to us. Do I really need to go on?
Yes, you need to go on. Your logic of "Overswarm leads a mislynch, therefore he's a liar, therefore he's scum" is a massive logical fallacy. Like I don't even know where to start to point out how wrong you are here.

Do you earnestly think that the "leader" of a mislynch is more suspect than the whole bunch that blindly followed him (ppl like Meta-Kirby)? What part of that would make him a liar anyway? And which of that makes him scum? You skip lots of steps to come to your conclusions.

Vote: Kirbyoshi because I find OS's argument solid, and I also find the fact that all 4 dead are from one team, but that may just be strange coincidence.
That's exactly the kind of sheeping we do now want. You put Kirbyoshi at L-2 already and parroted Overswarm 1 by 1. Can't you use your brain?

There is a point, however, in most games that the value of a day begins to decline. That is, I especially do not want Kirbyoshi to come in, post within a day or two of the limit, then scramble for a 2nd best/possible no lynch.
This is not what we're waiting for in regards to Kirbyoshi. We won't spare him for just randomly popping up once or so. He'll have to do a lot more than that.

:059:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now that I've gotten BIM Redux on its feet, I've actually gotten a chance to read this thread beyond the first page.

Not surprised to see OS slanging his *** around like he's the business, especially with some unconfirmable meta-data. Token OS play.

Not that I'm quite so keen on simply "taking his word" on this, but as much as I hate to admit it if what OS says is true, then the evidence is quite condemning. If I'm correct in understanding that we technically didn't have a N0, but just a "pre D1 challenge" so to speak, then the Team Protectors wouldn't have been able to act and thus save someone from being eliminated even if they normally should have been. If this is the case, then KirbyYo would need some kind of personal immunity from losing challenges and I see no indication of any such power from the listed town roles. Therefore, OS is right when he says there is no other logical explanation for KirbyYoshi still being around if he really didn't even participate in the challenge.

However, OS then goes on to say:

Unvote: frozenflame751 Well, I hope he'll look at my initial vote and remember that joke from 2006. <_<
lol nostalgia bomb. Don't worry I saw it and lol'd a bit. =P

I so wanna say it, but frozenflame gets the honors.

So, for a completely different avenue.

unvote, vote: thedocsalive

For not playing Chrono Cross, obviously.
Not sure what I'm supposed to say? I thought you might be referencing a response to that vote reasoning from the original SSBMafia but I went back and looked and there wasn't anything witty that I posted, just a bunch of stupid pretentious **** from 16 y/o me lmao.

Am I supposed to give an anatomy lesson on Lavos shards or something? lol

Also, most legit RVS vote reasoning of all time. Just sayin'.

That's all I have for now because I'm ****ing exhausted. To recap as lame as it is to support OS's metadata love affair, what he brings to the table is tough to contend with. No need to rush things though. We should definitely hear from KirbyYoshi first before we make a decision on whether or not we want to trust OS's meta findings.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That was what I meant though, however it was worded weird.

If you break it into it's pieces in context with the current discussion it makes more sense, in my opinion. Wow, I really don't even know why I broke it up like that. Serious fragmented post.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
From what are you drawing this distinction? What is it about this game that makes meta data so much more important than it already obviously is for you?
Um... It's kind of obvious. It's like being a tracker, except tracking everyone in the game simultaneously every Day phase, because specific actions will need to be taken.

Gheb, I still REALLY don't like your posts. You've no indirectly defended KirbyYoshi and now attacked people for voting him because they... parroted me?

WTF, Gheb? I have metadata showing that he's scum. You can't come in and vote for him for any other reason, he hasn't even posted yet. EVERYONE that voted, including you, is basing their vote off of that (except maybe Xonar, who might just vote because KYoshi is inactive). You attacking MKirby for that is extremely scummy to me. It seems like every action you take has an ulterior motive.

FoS: Gheb

I'm all for ending the Day now. We end the Day, we get a new challenge and more fun. Otherwise we wait until NEXT THURSDAY. If you guys want to wait feel free, but I don't even care about waiting for KYoshi's response because we aren't going to get one.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nah it was basicly your reason and the fact that he's useless and I hate him for ruining TMNT for tHe-Man D:
Don't get sour. ;D

But yeah.... KirbyYoshi was the freaking doctor and was one of the last 5 people left in the game. That's how bad his inactivity is. It's not "oh, I got bored and didn't show up", it's "Oh, I have an important role and am one of the last remaining players but my care level is 0 and I"ll log on smashboards but not show up for 20 days".

#HBC | Dancer

Chaco's post was kinda wierdly worded. >.>

Um. . . but anyways. . .
Yes, you need to go on. Your logic of "Overswarm leads a mislynch, therefore he's a liar, therefore he's scum" is a massive logical fallacy. Like I don't even know where to start to point out how wrong you are here.

Do you earnestly think that the "leader" of a mislynch is more suspect than the whole bunch that blindly followed him (ppl like Meta-Kirby)? What part of that would make him a liar anyway? And which of that makes him scum? You skip lots of steps to come to your conclusions.
Okay, OS is basically asking us to just trust him with the Kirbyoshi lynch (which, btw, I do right now). The reason everyone is voting for Kirbyoshi is because of what OS said, I can find literally no other reason why people are voting for him. Thus, this entire lynch falls on OS. I mean, this isn't just OS building a case against someone else, this is OS claiming to be 99.9% sure that he has caught scum, but what if Kirbyoshi flips town? Then OS lied to us about Kirbyoshi.

So I have to ask you, what are we suppose to do if he comes up short on his word? Btw, I didn't see OS weigh in on this yet. I still want to see what he has to say about his lynch if he's wrong about Kirbyoshi.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Okay, OS is basically asking us to just trust him with the Kirbyoshi lynch (which, btw, I do right now). The reason everyone is voting for Kirbyoshi is because of what OS said, I can find literally no other reason why people are voting for him. Thus, this entire lynch falls on OS. I mean, this isn't just OS building a case against someone else, this is OS claiming to be 99.9% sure that he has caught scum, but what if Kirbyoshi flips town? Then OS lied to us about Kirbyoshi.

So I have to ask you, what are we suppose to do if he comes up short on his word? Btw, I didn't see OS weigh in on this yet. I still want to see what he has to say about his lynch if he's wrong about Kirbyoshi.
Well I'm not scum, so I'd prefer you to NOT lynch me on the off chance that KYoshi is town.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. It's entirely possible there is something about the game I'm missing. Hell, Chibo could have had a private challenge for certain players or given random buffs or something. I don't know. What I do know is with my current knowledge, I'm assured KirbyYoshi is scum. If you want to lynch me after his flip if he turns up town, I'd understand and wouldn't really have a defense, but I don't think that'll happen.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Suppose Kirbyoshi does flip town. This shows that OS (and everyone else, lol) just missed something in the game mechanics that allows for this to happen. But why in the world would we lynch OS the next day? If he's scum, he KNEW the whole time Kirbyoshi was town. Why would OS, as scum, make such an adamant claim about a town player that he has repeatedly criticized? This isn't WIFOM; it's just absolutely bizarre nonsense. He has nothing to gain from this maneuver as scum. Obviously OS would be most responsible for the mislynch. It's already been noted that everyone voting Kirbyoshi and those thinking of doing so are doing so exclusively "because OS said so." But if he's wrong...he's wrong. Not scum. If Kirbyoshi flips town, it does more to confirm OS in my head as town than make me suspicious of him. xD

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Question for Mod: You mentioned that during each day, there will be some sort of challenge for all the players involved. I was wondering if said challenge would be during the beginning of each day, like D1, or if they will be in mid-day discussion. I'm asking because it would be a bit jarring if a challenge popped up in the middle of a heated debate.

M.K

Level 55
First of all ghebberzz, that's L-3, not your assumed L-2. Also, you've literally tunneled me D1 in *every* Mafia game we've ever had the great privilege of simultaneously attended, so this is just another refreshing reminder that you haven't changed a bit. Because like, ya know, the 5 other "sheepers" on the wagon aren't nearlyy as bad as me, right? Oh jesus christ, just because you aren't sitting on Kirbyoshi waiting for answers and applying pressure doesn't mean you should condemn those who are. Right now, at this moment, you are doing nothing but whining in this game.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Doc, I haven't seen you around but I'm guessing from your 04 join date and a few comments made you're pretty experienced.

What are your thoughts on Gheb?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Also, like those guys said, it's entirely illogical to lynch someone for leading a bandwagon on a player who flips town. I've seen this mistake made before, on other boards, and the results were almost never short of disastrous.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Ermac, the rules state that an elimination challenge will occur "about halfway through each day."

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Question for Mod: You mentioned that during each day, there will be some sort of challenge for all the players involved. I was wondering if said challenge would be during the beginning of each day, like D1, or if they will be in mid-day discussion. I'm asking because it would be a bit jarring if a challenge popped up in the middle of a heated debate.
Elimination Challenge 1 should be the only elimination challenge that will happen at the start of the day. Most of the time they will happen at about halfway through the day. Everyone will be given ample warning about the challenge, similar to how I let everyone know about Elimination Challenge 1 about 15 or so hours before it took place. I will probably give about a days notice in the future so also players can plan accordingly with the game. There are other rules concerning challenges that everyone should note in the OP such as after an elimination challenge if someone is eliminated then the vote count is reset, and if a majority lynch occurs before the elimination challenge then there won't be one for that day.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Suppose Kirbyoshi does flip town. This shows that OS (and everyone else, lol) just missed something in the game mechanics that allows for this to happen. But why in the world would we lynch OS the next day? If he's scum, he KNEW the whole time Kirbyoshi was town. Why would OS, as scum, make such an adamant claim about a town player that he has repeatedly criticized? This isn't WIFOM; it's just absolutely bizarre nonsense. He has nothing to gain from this maneuver as scum. Obviously OS would be most responsible for the mislynch. It's already been noted that everyone voting Kirbyoshi and those thinking of doing so are doing so exclusively "because OS said so." But if he's wrong...he's wrong. Not scum. If Kirbyoshi flips town, it does more to confirm OS in my head as town than make me suspicious of him. xD
This whole post doesn't sit well with me, especially the last sentence.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Player links have been added to the OP so everyone (and myself lol) can check activity. They are in the Players section.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Haha, oops.

His last post
06-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Today:

6-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Midnight is AM. ;D

Either way, brave little toaster should post

D

Deleted member

Liking this post, as it does make some solid points. I'd like to add something in a response to Sworddancer, thought:

@Sworddancer.: You are currently on Kirbyoshi's bandwagon. If Kirbyoshi flips town, you are deserving of at least 1/9 of the blame (The other 8/9 goes to other players, with 1/9 at the minimum fraction). If you are seriously bent on lynching Overswarm Day 2 because he was on Kirbyoshi's bandwagon (Despite starting it and that he thinks that Kirbyoshi is scum, so I can see why you think Overswarm should be the most held accountable, but not enough to consider him a lynch candidate.) and if Kirbyoshi flips town, should we consider you a lynch candidate based off that alone?
Sworddancer. said:
Post 123 is a bit weird to me. SSBF, it sounds like you would rather have Kirbyoshi be replaced then to lynch him, even though (we think) that we caught him red-handed? Am I reading that right?
Yes, I would rather have Kirbyoshi's slot replaced then lynched at this point. What matters the most is the posts that the players make in a slot. Even if we gain absolutely no inpute from him, this is why we have replacements. To replace someone who is inactive/can't play anymore.

This is why I'm not fixing to automatically listen to what Overswarm said. All we have is meta and that he supposedly didn't confirm, which in my books, is not enough to decide a good lynch. I want inpute from Kirbyoshi's slot one way or another. If the slot's play is scummy, then I'll be comfortable with lynching the slot. But not right now.
The Paprika Killer said:
SSBF, can you summarize on what grounds people are wanting to lynch off Kirbyoshi?
Mainly because of his meta, but also because Kirbyoshi supposedly didn't "confirm" and that he needs to explain that well. If he doesn't come around to post or make a bad explanation, he dies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is why I'm not fixing to automatically listen to what Overswarm said. All we have is meta and that he supposedly didn't confirm, which in my books, is not enough to decide a good lynch. I want inpute from Kirbyoshi's slot one way or another. If the slot's play is scummy, then I'll be comfortable with lynching the slot. But not right now.
*facepalm*

:\

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Doc, I haven't seen you around but I'm guessing from your 04 join date and a few comments made you're pretty experienced.

What are your thoughts on Gheb?
Yeah, I'm fairly experienced at mafia, though it's been quite awhile.

I just realized that there are SEVERAL ways to break this game in town's favour :)

Don't worry guys, it will be easy to figure out if somebody is scum or not^^

Cool story, but no bite.

Just saying this plays a poor chord for me. I expect results from you, Gheb. Empty talk like this seems like a cover. Also noticed no vote for KirbyYoshi as well as no backing for the lack of vote, despite seemingly agreeing with my premise. Any particular reason for this?
It's not empty talk, OS. There are several ways but that doesn't mean there are of use to us right now.
I think Gheb's response here is fine. For example, other games can be broken with a mass name claim, but only after a certain amount of people have died/certain information has been revealed about the various factions in the game, etc. etc. You can think of plans that may not be immediately applicable.

I always browse invincible :lick:

Unvote Vote Kirbyo

Let's not quicklynch him though. If he flips scum town will likely win.

SSBF and you questioned him on this quote, noting bad vibes. I don't see much here other than the fact that this isn't your regular town/mafia/independent(s) game; it's a town1/town2/mafia game; Gheb's comment doesn't reflect the difference. It's easier to skim over that mentally if you're scum.

I agree strongly with Gheb on this, so much so that I made a weird looking post about it (more on that later). Gheb questions the logic of leading a lynch on you if Kirbyoshi flips town, which I agree with and stated.

This is not what we're waiting for in regards to Kirbyoshi. We won't spare him for just randomly popping up once or so. He'll have to do a lot more than that.
I agree with Gheb here too. That makes sense: Kirbyoshi is most likely the play today, and showing up to say hi won't save him.

You get on Gheb's case for his criticism of Meta-Kirby's vote in that same quoted post. While you're right in that everyone is voting for the same reason, Gheb's concern with putting Kirbyoshi at L-2 (though it was actually L-3 as someone said) is fair, as he stated repeatedly that he doesn't want the day to be rushed despite a consensus lynch candidate.

So I see the points you brought up against Gheb, but I don't know what's considered "out of the ordinary" for him. He's not that suspicious to me atm.

This whole post doesn't sit well with me, especially the last sentence.
I know, that post looks weird. It was weird writing it. But do you disagree with the main point: if we have Kirbyoshi town, OS as scum makes no sense? Alternately, why in the world would scum OS do something like that to town Kirbyoshi?

#HBC | Dancer

K'

So even if we don't lynch OS if Kirbyoshi flips town, then what are we suppose to do with him?

Also people need to stop treating this like it's just OS building a regular case against Kirbyoshi. If that were the case then I would definitely sympathize more with OS and be wary of lynching him just because he led a mislynch. However, that is not the case here. OS is using meta data to pin down scum, claiming that he saw Kirbyoshi inactive. While I do believe him, I'm still open to the idea that he might of been lying. Yes, it would be a bad move scum to pull just a power play right from the get-go, and yes, I wouldn't think scum OS would even try to pull something like this. But you know, if we let someone hid behind the "It was a mistake" defense, then I do think that OS might of done it. Probably not, but you never know. Also, as others have stated, their are unknown factors to consider.

Really though, my main question is the one on top of this post. If Kirbyoshi flips town, then what do we do with OS?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Doc said:
But do you disagree with the main point: if we have Kirbyoshi town, OS as scum makes no sense?
Yes. (but that doesn't mean I think he's auto-scum if Kirbyo flips Town.)

Alternately, why in the world would scum OS do something like that to town Kirbyoshi?
Because it makes sense given meta of Kirbyo's activity, and as you've demonstrated with your non-suspicion of OS, it would allow him to get off squeaky clean even after leading a Town lynch.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I'm a little late on this lol.

First, Unvote my vote from RVS.

I believe OS and am fine with keeping Kirb alive for now, though I won't vote yet as I don't like having people at L-2 when they haven't had a chance to respond. >.>

---

Really though, my main question is the one on top of this post. If Kirbyoshi flips town, then what do we do with OS?
We'll decide when/if that happens? I'm really not liking how you're basically asking for knee-jerk reactions from everyone when we've barely had any time to scumhunt. From the looks of things, we're going to be lynching someone off of meta data, not actual scum slips or tells, and as others have said, I wouldn't really consider OS anti-town or town for driving this lynch on Kirb; it's a null tell IMO.

M.K

Level 55
However, would it be beneficial at this point to pressure OS to reveal who else he tracked? In my mind, the other people he tracked must have, at some point, been seen private messaging (and he couldn't view people who block their actions) as to which Kirbyoshi was singled out.
Unless he's keeping information for D2 to say "And then THIS Person also didn't respond!"
Which, at that point, I'd call bull****.

And gheb, sorry, I hadn't seen you were actually on the wagon. Regardless, it's L-3 and I'm not willing to give up my vote for pressure reasons.

Top Bottom