• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogle

Smash Ace
my albums of the now:

Asobi Seksu - Citrus 2006 release. Light, drifty female vocals, and often loud but texturous guitars.
Tracks: "New Years", "Thursday"

Massive Attack - Mezzanine Center of the "trip-hop" genre. Mezzanine is filled with low, slow, intense beats. Many different styles of vocalists from song to song.
Tracks: "Angel", "Teardrop" <- House theme song :)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless One of the most heralded albums of the 90s. Look at Asobi Seksu's description. But MBV did this 15 years ago... and way better.
Tracks: "Only Shallow", "When You Sleep"

The Notwist - Neon Golden The most indie thing here, though sprinkled with electronica. Laid-back vocals.. never whiny.
Tracks: "Pick Up the Phone", "Trashing Days"

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation Beginning of indie? Beginning of noise-rock? Pinnacle of post-punk? It's all right here.
Tracks: "Teen Age Riot", "The Sprawl"

Tim Hecker - Harmony in Ultraviolet 2006 release. Imagine the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, but fuzzier and trippier.
Tracks: "Chimeras", "Dungeoneering"

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Band name/Artist: Siam Shade
Genre: Jrock
Song Name:1/3 Junjou na Kanjou
Other notes: Very Good song, nice rithym overalll
Here the link to listen to it:
http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=807c0a3

Band Name/Artist: Wisin y Yandel
Genre: Reggeaton
Song Name: Nadie mejor q tu
Note: I know alot of people dont like this genre, but i like all genres, at least one song, and this one I reccommend alot.
Heres the link to listen to it:
http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=6e3c758

marthsword

Smash Ace
my albums of the now:

Asobi Seksu - Citrus 2006 release. Light, drifty female vocals, and often loud but texturous guitars.
Tracks: "New Years", "Thursday"

Massive Attack - Mezzanine Center of the "trip-hop" genre. Mezzanine is filled with low, slow, intense beats. Many different styles of vocalists from song to song.
Tracks: "Angel", "Teardrop" <- House theme song :)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless One of the most heralded albums of the 90s. Look at Asobi Seksu's description. But MBV did this 15 years ago... and way better.
Tracks: "Only Shallow", "When You Sleep"

The Notwist - Neon Golden The most indie thing here, though sprinkled with electronica. Laid-back vocals.. never whiny.
Tracks: "Pick Up the Phone", "Trashing Days"

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation Beginning of indie? Beginning of noise-rock? Pinnacle of post-punk? It's all right here.
Tracks: "Teen Age Riot", "The Sprawl"

Tim Hecker - Harmony in Ultraviolet 2006 release. Imagine the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, but fuzzier and trippier.
Tracks: "Chimeras", "Dungeoneering"
You got good taste. Can't beat Loveless.

I won't go into detail now, I am too lazy, but my favorite band now has to be TV on the Radio or Bloc Party.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Band name:[URL="http://mychemicalromance.com/]My Chemical Romance[/URL]
Album: The Black Parade
Genre: Punk Rock
Other Notes: The Black Parade brilliantly flaunts My Chemical Romances explosive growth musically, visually personally. It is a concept album at its finest, paying homage to the finest rock concept albums rivaling them as well. Its Cabaret with Queen playing Pink Floyd as arranged by Kurt Weill and The Misfits, with a healthy dose of Nosferatu thrown in for good measure. The Black Parade is a modern Grand Guignol where the actors suffer and bleed for your viewing pleasure. MCR reveals a maturity confidence in their writing and performing that is surprising for a band that formed only a few years ago and only 2 records under their belt. There is no throw away song here. Each song is intricate, complex and necessary for the story arc of the album - the last dying days of The Patient. There is truth and urgency in each song. The emotional climax is certainly Cancer. You truly have the sense that the album is brutally honest, coming from a place of emotional purity - naked fear, longing, anger, and ultimately acceptance and freedom. Most people who listen to MCR are too young to be familiar with their musical influences. Hopefully, this album will inspire them to rediscover those classics as well as spawn future brilliant musicians. You cant possibly buy this album fast enough. Dont waste another second of your life do it now.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Dunno if anyone's mentioned this but..

Artist/Band: DragonForce
Genre: (heavy) metal, some songs have a bit of piano/violin
Notes: Well I personally think they're the greatest metal/rock band on Earth. Their songs are themed around really epic imagery and they have insanely ridiculously SICK electric guitar skills. A few songs I would recommend are "Fury of the Storm", "Through the Fire and Flames", "Trail of Broken hearts", "My Spirit will go on", and basically every song they've ever made.

If you don't like metal, this band will convert you with zero effort.

SHINE FX

Smash Apprentice
Artist: Spur58
Genre: Christian/Rock
Album: Sleepwalkers
Other Notes: This is probably my favorite Christian band, and I personally think their style is unique but effective. There's actually a message in their songs, and they're not bad either.

Artist: SHIN
Genre: C-Pop (Chinese)
Other Notes: It's really hard to find this artist, but based on the songs I've held by him, he's really good. Here's a link to one of his songs. It's not the actual music video but someone else singing one of his songs. It starts off slow, but crescendos a lot nearer the end. A lot of his congs are like that. http://youtube.com/watch?v=TufYH5o9qGw
Here's another link to an actual music video of another one of his songs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BCvEdaVkTs4

Artist: Do as Infinity
Genre: J-Pop
Other Notes: This band has a lot of pretty good songs as well, not going to go into much detail though.

Artist: F.I.R.
Genre: C-Pop
Album: Flight Tribe
Other Notes: This band is often referred to as a Chinese version of Do as Infinity due to the similar structure of the band (3 people, 1 pianist, 1 guitarist, 1 singer). I personally like FIR better though.

Immortal Technique

Smash Cadet
Bleyah

Artist: Kings of Convenience
Genre: umm, well on my iTunes I categorized it as easy listening, though it seems like it's alt/indie that could be enjoyed in a cafe.
Album: Riot on an Empty Street

Artist: CSS
Genre: Electro Rock
Album: Cansei de Ser Sexy

Artist: Phoenix
Genre:
Pop
Album: Alphabetical

Artist: Peter Bjorn & John
Genre: Indie Pop
Album: Writer's Block

Artist: Broken Social Scene
Genre: Indie
Album: Broken Social Scene

:lick:

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
Band/Artist: Arch Enemy
Genre: melodic death metal
Other notes: the fact that the singer is a girl is one reason to hear it but as i listened to that band at the first time i thought the singer is a man because her voice is awesome.
Everyone who listen to (melodic)death metal should hear it.

enjoy it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOdIvHTIiaU

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
John Frusciante
Genre: Alternative/Guitar
Songs: The Past Recedes, MURDERERS, Water, Carvel, 666
Notes: This is the guitarist from Red Hot Chili Pepper's. He is a very good songwriter and has more freedom in his solo efforts. Check him out even if you don't like RHCP!

KT Tunstall
Genre: Acoustic/Blues/Pop
Songs: Suddenly I See, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, I Want You Back, Other Side of the World
Notes: You probably have heard Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, or Suddenly I See. She is awesome.

HORSE the band
Genre: Metal/Hardcore/"Nintendocore"
Songs: Cutsman, Birdo, Lord Gold Throneroom, A Million Exploding Suns, Manateen, House of Boo, Bunnies, Pol's Voice, Big Blue Violence, Sevententacles and Eight Flames, The Black Hole, Octopus on Fire, The Immense Defecation of the Buntalifigus, In the Wake of the Bunt
Notes: My favorite band ever. I saw them twice live over spring break. They jokingly coined the term Nintendocore to describe their music, but they are hardly describable. I kind of like to call them ecstasy metal, heehee. Sense of humor recommended.

Between the Buried and Me
Genre: Progressive Metal
Songs: Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Alaska, All Bodies, The Primer, Aspirations, Mordecai, Shevanel Cut a Flip, Ad a Dglgmut, Backwards Marathon
Notes: Unreal. The most talented musicians around now. Just listen to Selkies or The Primer.

Daft Punk
Genre: House/Electronica/Funk
Songs: Aerodynamic, One More Time, Around the World, Technologic, Human After All, Face to Face, Superheroes, Harder Better Faster Stronger
Notes: My favorite DJ's. Saw them in Miami last year! It was sick. You have heard these guys. I know you have.

saberhof

Smash Master
HORSE the band
Genre: Metal/Hardcore/"Nintendocore"
Songs: Cutsman, Birdo, Lord Gold Throneroom, A Million Exploding Suns, Manateen, House of Boo, Bunnies, Pol's Voice, Big Blue Violence, Sevententacles and Eight Flames, The Black Hole, Octopus on Fire, The Immense Defecation of the Buntalifigus, In the Wake of the Bunt
Notes: My favorite band ever. I saw them twice live over spring break. They jokingly coined the term Nintendocore to describe their music, but they are hardly describable. I kind of like to call them ecstasy metal, heehee. Sense of humor recommended.

Between the Buried and Me
Genre: Progressive Metal
Songs: Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Alaska, All Bodies, The Primer, Aspirations, Mordecai, Shevanel Cut a Flip, Ad a Dglgmut, Backwards Marathon
Notes: Unreal. The most talented musicians around now. Just listen to Selkies or The Primer.
i have both :D, awsomeness in both.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You guys should reccomend me some awesome indie punk. My iPod broke, so now I'm stuck with CD's again, going insane.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Band name/Artist: Coldplay
Genre: British Rock
Other Notes: Since they're British they are overlooked but they have a lot of good songs even though they only have 3 albums. In case you don't know their songs some of them are 'God put a smile upon my Face', 'Speed of Sound' and 'Clocks' [a soundtrack from the Peter Pan movie].

I believe they'll be knighted one day, much like U2.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
The National
Accoustic, mid-tempo Indie rock. Now, I know that sounds incredibly boring and generic, but there's something about the personality this band puts into their songs that makes each and every track standout. I could not pick a song to disgard from their last album, 'Alligator', because they're all really, really good in their own way. Beats the hell out of The Decemberists.
Recommended Song: Mr. November

Coldplay is nowhere near 'overlooked'. They're pretty good, especially compaired to most radio-friendly rock, but Radiohead really is superior in every way.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Band name: Last November
Album: All The Gory Details...
Genre Alt Rock
Notes: Last November is a band that quickly exceeds expectations. Their debut release, entitled all the gory details is a compilation of honest, thought-provoking lyrics that echo passionately through the voice of lead singer Luke Pilgrim. The album featured on "The Real World" and other MTV shows, is undeniably artistic, filled with indie rock-influenced tunes that will leave you wondering where this band has been hiding.

Recommended Songs: Sniper, Addicted To You, Infantry.

Websites:
http://www.myspace.com/lastnovember
"Sniper" Music Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l0DsVLpFJ8
Official Site
http://lastnovember.com/index.php?nav=news

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Band Name: The Black Mages
Albums: The Black Mages, The Black Mages II: The Skies Above
Genre: Instrumental Rock, Progessive Rock, Progressive Metal, Video Game Music

You've probably heard me talking about The Black Mages some time since I've been on this board, but who exactly are they?

The Black Mages were formed in 2003, by none other than the musical genius, Nobuo Uematsu, one of the most influential composers of video game music of all time. Not only did he compose almost all the music from the Final Fantasy games, but he also is the only game composer to ever win a prestigous, mainstream music award. (for 'Eyes on Me')

The Black Mages basically do rock remixes of some of the most popular FF songs. If you're a fan of the older, 16-bit FF games, you've got some of the greatest songs of it's era. Matoya's Cave, Battle Themes for FFI,II,III and VI, Clash on the Big Bridge, and Dancing Mad. If you're a fan of the newer era of FF games, you've got Those who Fight Further (Saranai Tatakau Mono Tachi) from FFVII, Force Your Way from FFVIII, Hunter's Chance and Vamo' Alla Flamenco from FFIX, and The Skies Above (A remix of 'To Zanarkand') and Otherworld from FFX.

These guys have an amazing sound, to put it simply. In terms of raw musical talent, I think that this band is one of the best I've ever heard, the guitar players are on par with some of the guitar legends, if not better than alot of them. They have 2 guitarists, a bassist, a keyboard player, a drummer, and an organ player. Yeah, like, the awesome solo-type organ, like what you would hear from Boston or Kansas, only Nobuo is probably a better organ player than both of them put together. :laugh:

For the newcomer, I would reccomend Those Who Fight Further, a remix of the FFVII boss battle theme, starting off with some beautiful sounding rock guitar, and moving into a more synthisized sound, It's also got COWBELL in it. Matoya's Cave, a song that starts off calm, with a very nice sounding accoustic guitar, then moves into a killer blues organ solo, and Maybe I'm a Lion, a fairly heavy rendition of the final boss battle of FFVIII with a 4 word lyric intro. The one song that I would say isn't worth listening to is Otherworld, since they didn't do a very good job with it. As people who have heard the song probably know, it simply couldn't of gotten any better.

All of the songs I talked about above can be listened to and downloaded here: The Black Mages and The Black Mages II: The Skies Above.

I do question the legality of that site, but hey. If anything, you can give them a listen. I know you may think that a band that remixes video game songs might be lame, but seriously, give them a listen. They're extremely talented, and they sound totally amazing. Any long time FF fans know that Final Fantasy music is legendary, and even people who don't play, or don't like Final Fantasy will still appreciate the amazing rock that this band plays.

On a random note, my favourite song from this band, and my favourite song of all time is The Skies Above. It's certainly an acquired taste, with a beautiful piano intro, and an OPERA singer. It's an amazing song, the singing is actually really good, and the second solo is the greatest guitar solo I've ever heard.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Where's One Winged Angel?
That's a good question. I speculate that since 4 out of the 6 Black Mages composed the Advent Children soundtrack, and the Rock/Orchestra version of One Winged Angel from Advent Children totally owns, they decided to keep it at that. :grin:

Martelinj

Smash Apprentice
Jethro Tull and Rhapsody/ Rhapsody of fire, a piece of gooood music :chuckle:
Rhapsody: Power/symphonic metal
Jethro Tull: Kinda' like prog rock.

Melo-tone

Smash Cadet
Band name: Why?
Album: Elephant Eyelash
Genre: Indie, Experimental, Rock
Notes: Why? is that type of band that has a sound so different and lyrics so amazing that iy can literally bring you to tears listening to it. With some of the most diverse songs I have ever heard this is a band that addicts more than heroine. This band has not released an album since 2005, and thus has not really gained much popularity. Word from someone else (not radio) is really the only way I heard of them, and without the hype of everyone else it sort of gives this band an edge. Overall one of the greatest bands I have heard.

Recommended Songs: Gemini, Yo Yo Bye Bye, Fall Saddles, Sand Dollars, Crushed Bones.

Links: Why? Myspace

Ghostfire

Smash Rookie
Band: Calabrese
Genre: Horror Rock
Song Sample: Night in the Lonesome October
Notes: Calabrese is a local band from Arizona consisting of 3 Brothers (Bobby, Jimmy, Davey). They started up a few years back and have grown fairly popular in particular rings and seemingly will hit stardom at any given moment. Check out calabreserock.com for details about them! (Bobby is also one of my employees, so I really like to push them!)

Band: 8-Bit
Genre: Video Game Rap
Song Sample: Track 3
Notes: A group that uses 8-Bit Video Game music and adds rap to it. :]

Band: Horrorpops
Genre: Pyschobilly
Song Sample: Walk Like A Zombie
Notes: Amazing band that has a very melodic sound and sings about the best things in the world, especially this song.

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
Band/Artist: Muse
Genre: Alternative/Progressive/Hard Rock
Suggested Album: Absolution
Notes: Muse is just too good. I like pretty much everything about much of their music, and the keyboard in songs like 'Butterflies and Hurricanes' never ceases to amaze me.
Suggested songs: Butterflies and Hurricanes, Time is Running Out, Knights of Cydonia, Bliss, Sing for Absolution, Stockholm Syndrome, Endlessly, Muscle Museum, City of Delusion....the list goes on here >_>

Band/Artist: Machinae Supremacy
Genre: Alternative/Metal
Notes: Sweden is too good. Another band where I like basically everything that they put out. The instrumentals are amazing inside and out, even if the vocals don't always do them justice.
Suggested songs: Winterstorm, Sidology Episode 1: Sid Evolution, Sidology Episode 2: Trinity, Sidology Episode 3: Apex Ultima, The Great Gianna Sisters, Through the Looking glass

Band/Artist: Within Temptation
Genre: Metal
Notes: I absolutely love this band from the Netherlands. Sharon den Adel has a ridiculously good voice in most of their songs, and her mates sufficiently match her talents with their sound. They've put some albums up near the top of the charts and won Conamus Exportprijs on several occassions.
Suggested Songs: It's The Fear, Dangerous Mind, Ice Queen, Deciever of Fools, Memories, Destroyed, Angels, Somewhere

Band/Artist: X-Japan
Genre: J-Rock, Metal
Notes: They've broken up and Hide has passed away by now, so there is nothing new coming out, but they had a lot of great songs. I've listened to these guys a lot lately, and I like their music more and more with each day that passes. I can only comprehend a minimum of the lyrics (my japanese is weak), but maybe it's better that way. It adds a certain mystique to the music in a way. I think "Toshi" Deyama does a beautiful job with the lyrics and I think they're pretty traditional 'rock-out' mentality with the instruments. Some songs take a little while to pick up the pace though.
Suggested Songs: Kurenai, Endless Rain, Rusty Nail, Silent Jealousy, Longing

Edit: Bolded and Italicized my personal favorites.

saberhof

Smash Master
Job For A Cowboy

Well most of you wont like them but i do enjoy the pig squeals and for those who have well AWSOME! :D lol.
After you look this album up, watch this vid and its sick drummer, but i think the new drummer is better this skinny guy is still pretty good:

Entombement of Machine
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aI-vNNuEmCc

Doom

Catharsis For The Buried
Entombment of a Machine
Relinquished
Knee Deep
The Rising Tide
Suspended By The Throat
Entities (Hidden Track on the rerelease Album)

ill put up their new album maybe, but its just not the same, Embedded is a pretty cool song from their new stuff, search it up ^_^

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band: Stratovarius
Albums: Visions, Episode, Destiny, Infinity
Genre: Symphonic Power Metal/Neo-Classical Metal
Notes: Stratovarius doesn't just do one style of music. A good deal of the time they play metal. Usually two or three songs on each album are slower. And usually there is one song on each album, usually the album title song, being their epic song; a song usually lasting for ten or so minutes. What I love about Stratovarius is that most of their songs have this indescribable feel to them that seems really epic. It makes you feel like you are in space. Listen to the song "Kiss Of Judas." You'll know what I mean.

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Band: Black Moth Super Rainbow.
Albums: Falling Through a Field, Start a People, Dandelion Gum.
Genre: Electronica, Indie, Experimental.
Suggested Album: I started off with Start a People, but Dandelion Gum is just as good. In the end, either one should work.
Notes: BMSR is one of my all time favorite bands. All of their songs are filled with eclectic, looping melodies. Although it's mostly instrumental, there's some occasional singing. The song that caught me the most was Smile Heavy, so that might be the one that catches your fancy, too. They might not be for you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a try.

@ Venom Dream: Yes, Radiohead is superior to Coldplay in every way.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Artist: Set Your Goals
Album- Mutiny or Their Demo from 2004
Genre- Straight Edge Posi Hardcore
Songs Of Noteworthyness :chuckle:- Mutiny, Work In Progress, Goonies Never Say Die
Comments- One of the best hardcore bands touring at the moment, they have a very positive appeal to kids and they work hard at their music. You honestly owe it to yourself to give them a listen.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
Alternative

The Avalanches- Frontier Psychiatrist

The Decemberists- We Both Go Down Together, July! July!

Jesse Cook- Air, Early on Tuesday

Jethro Tull- Thick as a Brick

REM- Losing my Religion, Man on the Moon

Country

Brad Paisley- Mud on the Tires

Buffalo Springfield- For What It's Worth

Johnny Cash- Against the Wind, Ring of Fire

The Statler Brothers- Flowers on the Wall

Tom Petty- Wildflowers

Willie Nelson- Beer for my Horses

Pop

Abba- Dancing Queen

Cream- White Room

Jem- 24

Jon Brion- Knock Yourself Out, Monday

Lisa Loeb- The Way It Really Is, Garden of Delight

Modern Talking- You Can Win If You Want

Scissors Sisters- I Don't Feel Like Dancin'

Teriyaki Brothers- Tokyo Drift

Rock

Ah Ha- Take on Me

Audioslave- Like a Stone

Bad Religion- Epiphany, The Lie

Barenaked Ladies- One Week

The Beatles- In My Life, Eleanor Rigby

Blue Oyster Cult- Don't Fear The Reaper

Bob Dylan- Like a Rolling Stone, Blowin' in the Wind

Boston- More than a Feeling

Bush- The Chemicals Between Us

Cake- Frank Sinatra, Pentagram

Chuck Berry- Maybellene

CKY- 96 Quite Bitter Beings

Creedence Clearwater Revival- Proud Mary, Who'll Stop The Rain

Def Leppard- Long Long Way To Go

Derek and the Dominos- Layla

Dishwalla- Above the Wreckage

Electric Six- Synthesizer, Pink Flamingoes

Feeder- Pushing the Senses

Flogging Molley- What's Left of the Flag

Fort Minor- Where'd You Go, Petrified

Jeff Wayne- Forever Autumn, The Eve of War

Kansas- Carry On my Wayward Son, Icarus

Jim Croce- A Long Time Ago, Operator

Korn- Word Up!, Freak on a Leash

LFO- Summer Girls

Life of Agony- Weeds, Let's Pretend

Mindless Self Indulgence- *****es

Muse- Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Stockholm Syndrome

Offspring- Why Don't You Get A Job?

Panic! At The Disco (Please don't burn my house down)- Time To Dance, There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey

Pillar- Frontline

Queen- Killer Queen, Under Pressure

Rage Against The Machine- Renegades of Funk

The Rasmus- Keep Your Heart Broken

Simple Kid- Starin' At The Sun

Sixpence None The Richer- Don't Dream It's Over, Kiss Me

The Spinners- Rubberband Man

Soft Rock

Afterglow- Mend This Heart Of Mine

Big Star- Thirteen

Box Set- Valentine, Amsterdam

Eurythmics- I Saved The World Today

The Faces- Ooh La La

Feist- Mushaboom

Heart- Crazy on You

James Blunt- Wiseman

Nirvana- The Man Who Sold The World

Pete Yorn- Strange Condition, Splendid Isolation

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Fortune Faded, Californication

Savage Garden- Affirmation

Scissors for Lefty- Marsha, Save It Cory

The Shins- New Slang

Sublime- Date Rate, Steppin' Razor

Third Eye Blind- Jumper

Tok- Footprints

chimmy

Smash Rookie
Band: ac/dc
Genre: hard rock...duh
i think someone put it already but people only seem to know ac/dc for back in black and highway to hell, and that is kinda ******** cus they have a lot of good songs/albums, not just the two

Band: paul gilbert/mr. big
Genre: metal/rock
nobody i know seems to have heard of paul gilbert except for 2 other people, unless you play guitar or like shredding type of guitar playing then you probly wont want to listen to paul gilbert, but mr. big (the band he was in before going solo) has more rock type songs with fairly shred style guitar solos and stuff, but it still sounds like rock, not metal

saberhof

Smash Master
Band: ac/dc
Genre: hard rock...duh
i think someone put it already but people only seem to know ac/dc for back in black and highway to hell, and that is kinda ******** cus they have a lot of good songs/albums, not just the two

Band: paul gilbert/mr. big
Genre: metal/rock
nobody i know seems to have heard of paul gilbert except for 2 other people, unless you play guitar or like shredding type of guitar playing then you probly wont want to listen to paul gilbert, but mr. big (the band he was in before going solo) has more rock type songs with fairly shred style guitar solos and stuff, but it still sounds like rock, not metal
IMO Racer X is better.

chimmy

Smash Rookie
ya but i dont have any racer x albums, cus i havnt been able to find any, with racer x all ive been able to see/hear is youtube vids and i didnt think that would be enough to post on.

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
Artist: Neutral Milk Hotel
Album: In the aeroplane over the sea.
Genre: It has (guitars)

Well, I just bought this album.
I do like it.
Maybe you will to. = )

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Artist: Neutral Milk Hotel
Album: In the aeroplane over the sea.
Genre: It has (guitars)

Well, I just bought this album.
I do like it.
Maybe you will to. = )
GARRR!! On Avery Island is infinitely superior to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. But I guess Aeroplane is better for people who are just getting into NMH.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Artist: The Band
Genre: Folk-rock, country-rock, classic rock, rock n' roll.
Best album: Music From Big Pink, or The Band.
Song for Noobs: "Up On Cripple Creek," or "The Weight."
Other Stuff: Basically, The Band is incredibly underrated. At one point they were Bob Dylan's backup band on tour. And they went on to make their own music, which, in my opinion, is superior to anything Dylan has ever done. They have three alternating lead singers. And sometimes have a very Southern edge to their sound, mostly brought on by the fact that singer/drummer Levon Helm is an Arkansan (my home state!) Also, if you're a Dylan fan and interested in the music they did with him. There are The Basement Tapes, a collection of demos recorded in the 60's, Planet Waves, and album they collaborated on, and some live album or something. Also, The Last Waltz, one of the most highly regarded concert movies of all time. Focuses on The Band's final concert.

Artist: Deerhoof
Genre: Noise rock, indie, experimental, the best music you've ever heard.
Best album: Milk Man... Or maybe Apple O'? Uh... The Runners Four? But the new Friend Opportunity is so much more catchy!
Song for Noobs: That's a harder one. For me, I always play people "Believe E.S.P." for Deerhoof noobs, but "Panda Panda Panda" is perhaps, for some reason, their most known song. "Dummy Discards A Heart" probably sums up what Deerhoof is the best though.
Other Stuff: Deerhoof is up there with the strangest bands you'll ever hear. There's something undeniably catchy about them, while the chaos that is prevalent in most of their arrangements seems to indicate that they're trying to be anti-pop. Satomi Matsuzaki's vocals are usually high, and screechy, but there's something strangely sweet about her voice, and once you get used to it, you love it. Meanwhile, Greg Saunier is one of the best drummers on the indie scene today. One of the best aspects of watching Deerhoof live is watching Greg appear to have a controlled seizure and spaz out on his minimalist drum kit.

daytripper

Smash Cadet
I am not a big rap fan.. but there is some I feel I need to suggest, because if I like it, most of you probably will. It's for anyone who takes a much more open-minded approach with their music and enjoys hearing albums produced differently than the other bland albums.

MF Doom - MM Food
GZA - Liquid Swords
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Kanye West - College Dropout

EDIT: I forgot to mention my most favorite unheard of band, Animal Collective. I aboslutely love them. Listen to their album Feels. Grass might be my favorite song of all-time. (I think Paranoid Android still holds that title though.. it just doesn't get old)

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
On Avery Island? Is that an EP? I was under the impression that NMH only had one album, but that's awesome that he has other stuff. I'll check it out.

I've been listening to this lately..

Artist: Daft Punk
Album: Homework
Description:

Dancy! Haha. :p

I don't know if this was popular at the time it came out. (I was younger, so I'm not entirely sure.) Regardless, if you like house music, I definitely suggest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom