• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFox

Smash Hero
Band: Tool
Album: 10,000 Days
Song: Right in Two

This band is so good. The album is very different from their earlier stuff, but still amazing none the less. The song Right in Two is my personal favorite, with 10,000 days as a close second. Their other great albums are Aenima and Lateralus.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I just got 10,000 days and i'm pretty dissapointed with it. I love the songs Jambi, Vicarious, and The Pot, but the rest of the CD seems to sound like "stoner music". Tool is indeed a wierd band, but i love only a certain number of their songs.

Tomasos

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'll give it a try and recommend some of my favourite bands at the moment.

Band name: Looptroop
Album: Modern day city symphony
Genre: Underground rap
Other notes: I recommend people who like underground rap to listen to them, their lyrics are about things like social injustices (sp?) to how to shoplift. They have excellent lyrics and good music with a good message. Some songs I like; a modern day city symphony, thief, zombies and long arm of the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looptroop

Band name: Promoe
Album: Long distance runner
Genre: Underground rap/reggae
Other notes: Promoe one of the MCs in Looptroop. On this album he goes to a style a bit more to reggae style. Some songs feature other artists aswell. Some song I like; these walls don't lie, a likkle sump sump, dogday afternoon and justice.

Band name: Embee
Album: Tellings from solitaria
Genre: Rap/Jazz
Other notes: Looptroop's DJ's solo album. A very good album, not the same style as the other I have recommended. Some songs I like; Embee for president, city lights and sorrow in shadowtown.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I think I will start off by saying that some of the ignorance towards world music shown by posters (I presume most are American) is disgraceful. A couple of examples:
In Flames - "supposedly from Sweden" they ARE from Sweden! not hard to check either!
Lacuna Coil being Europe's answer to Evanesence, as if Europe is some kind of 'lesser being'. As pointed out by someone, Lacuna Coil were around before and Evanesence is the States answer to Lacuna Coil. Infact Evanes.. appeared a little while after Lacune Coil toured the states. They said it was good becaues be people heard of the comparison being made and people would check them out AND realize they had been around longer.
There are others but i cant be bothered to go find them again. I half imagine most of you think Iron Maiden are American. :urg: On that note, i would reccomend Iron Maiden, but i assume they've been said already. Heavy Metal Gods.

Anyway, now my contribution to a thread based on a good idea:

Band: Machine Head
Genre: Heavy Metal/Neo-Metal
Sounds Like: I cant think of any so you can suggest your own, Robb Flynn is influenced by Dimebag Darrell of Pantera and Damageplan.
Reccomended Starter Tracks: Seasons Wither, Silver, Imperium, Bulldozer.
Other Info:

Band: Damageplan
Genre: Heavy Metal
Sounds Like: Pantera, Various other American metal bands.
Reccomended Starter Tracks: New Found Power, Wake Up
Other Info: The band formed by two members of Pantera, Dimebag Darrell's last band, R.I.P.

Band: Spineshank
Genre: Rock
Sounds Like:
Reccomended Starter Tracks: New Disease, Full Circle, Violent Mood Swings
Other Info: No longer exists after lead singer quit. New band in the process of being formed by other members. I was told to avoid the first album by this band when they were reccomended to me, have done ever since.

Band: Porcupine Tree
Genre: Rock
Sounds Like: Radiohead
Reccomended Starter Tracks: Wedding Nails, The Creator Has a Mastertape.
Other Info: Members good friends with Opeth and sometimes lend each other to each band, mind, the two bands sound nothing alike. Opeth are amazing though.

Band: Norther
Genre: Death Metal
Sounds Like: Children of Bodom (apparently, I, myself, do not see it)
Reccomended Starter Tracks: Unleash Hell, The Final Countdown (Europe cover)
Other Info: The cover of The Final Countdown is the best i've ever come across.

Last one

Band: Sonata Arctica
Genre: Power Metal
Sounds Like: Christmas Carols. Kiddin on, just sounds like good power metal.
Reccomended Starter Tracks: Full Moon, Wildfire, The Cage
Other Info: Finnish band. Not much else to say really, so there's the nationality if you want to know it.

There are blanks, but it's just where i couldnt think of anything. I was being a bit lazy.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've been listening to a lot of music lately for the first time in a while. just got my hands on some awesome new material from old bands.

envy, "insomniac doze." their previous releases were all amazing. this one lives up to them and surpasses them in some ways. they're getting kind of big so i was afraid they were going to be too overproduced and poppy for my taste on this album, like what happened with murder by death's "in boca al lupo," but i was pleasantly surprised. this album is just as powerful and even more emotional than their older stuff. they started out as a japanese hardcore punk band, then took more of a hardcore twist, and now, i'd say their more emo than anything. don't get me wrong though. emo for the most part sucks. this, however, is a paradigm of what emo could be if it weren't so wrapped in self pity and general crappiness. i can't even understand what they're saying, my japanese friend has to translate, but the emotions come across clear and true, even without knowing all the lyrics. the more i listen to this album, the more i realize i've been waiting for it's release for a long time, i just didn't know who was going to do it. you can check out the video from their new single, "scene," here: http://www.spaceshowertv.com/DAX/musicvideo/envy_scene.html

the digital kill, "stare." this is the absolute most original, musically interesting, and stunning new record that i've heard in years. i've been waiting for them to release it since 2002, and even though i've waited 4 years, i am not disappointed in the least. they take music, break it, and build it back into something sensational. their sound is more layered and textured than my bloody valentine or enon (and much more impressive). they tune down their instruments and play them in unconventional ways. they attack their guitars with things like putty knives and violin bows. the resulting sound is eerie and unforgettable. they remind me of a haunting silhouette in an abandoned house. the best way to experience them is to visit their myspace and check them out that way. seriously. http://www.myspace.com/thedigitalkill

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Sporkman said:
I think I will start off by saying that some of the ignorance towards world music shown by posters (I presume most are American) is disgraceful. A couple of examples:
In Flames - "supposedly from Sweden" they ARE from Sweden! not hard to check either!
Lacuna Coil being Europe's answer to Evanesence, as if Europe is some kind of 'lesser being'. As pointed out by someone, Lacuna Coil were around before and Evanesence is the States answer to Lacuna Coil. Infact Evanes.. appeared a little while after Lacune Coil toured the states. They said it was good becaues be people heard of the comparison being made and people would check them out AND realize they had been around longer.
There are others but i cant be bothered to go find them again. I half imagine most of you think Iron Maiden are American. :urg: On that note, i would reccomend Iron Maiden, but i assume they've been said already. Heavy Metal Gods.
some people like to listen to music without worrying about the biography of everything they listen to. chill out dweeb.

Band: Muse
Genre: Alternative Rock?
Sounds Like: A more hard rock, funky version of Radiohead. Mix in with old Nirvana dynamics, a voice that sounds like the wicked child of Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, a countless slew of guitar and bass effects, and just some amazing songwriting, playing and passion. I used to dislike these guys ebcause at first it seems like a Radiohead ripoff band with a more accessible sound. I've listened more and more, and the more I do the more unique the band becomes. Their influences range from all of rock n' roll, a big chunk of classical (especially italian music, it sounds like), and even some R&B)
Albums: Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations (their newest)
Recommended Songs: Plug-In Baby, Stockholm Syndrome, Muscle Museum, Citizen Erased, Map of the Problematique, Starlight, Sing for Absolution, Hysteria, Showbiz, Falling Down, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, New Born, Time is Running Out, Uno, Unintended, Butterflies and Hurricanes

Band: Chronic Future
Genre: Hip-hop/Punk
Sounds Like: Hmm, I'm not sure. The singing, punky parts remind me a lot of Billy Talent and bands like that. Very catchy stuff. The rapping parts however, fail to bring up any similarities. The rapper has a very distinctive flow and voice, very Bronx-y. He's my favorite part of the group.
Recommended Songs: NEW YORK NY, Time and Time Again, Stop Pretending, Memories in F Minor

Band: Melt Banana
Genre: Noise, Noisecore/Japanese Hardcore
Sounds like: Nothing you've ever heard before. Nothing I've heard before at least. These guys have been around since the early 90s, have had hundreds of songs (most of them about a minute in length) and are the craziest thing I listen to regularly. The vocals are rabid and yippy like a chihuaha, the rhythm is simply spastic, and the guitar is out of this world. The guitarist is the best Wah Wah pedal user I've ever listened to. His guitar sounds space age. It's compeltely bizarre.
Recommended Songs: Spathic!, It's in the Pillcase, His Name is Mickey, He Says Drink or Die I say Drink and Puke, Surfin USA, I hate it!!!, aquatic bee, Drug Store

$sD

Smash Ace
i enjoy your music taste luigit.

melt banana can somewhat be compared to the locust

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
the locust is ****ing nuts. i like them ok. i wanna check out melt banana now, because if there are two things in this world i love, it's japanese people screaming and aural sex.

also, does anybody know any indie new wavish bands that are good? not the killers or the bravery. something similar to the faint is kind of what i'm looking for. i feel like there's a lot of potential for new wave bands right now, but i haven't heard one that does it in a way that i would do it. the faint is just about the closest i've heard, but i know there must be more.

$sD

Smash Ace
actually the locust and melt banana released a split together

Starálfur

Smash Apprentice
Musician: Elliott Smith

Genre: Indie Rock

Album(s): Roman Candle (1994), Elliott Smith (1995), Either/Or (1997), XO (1998), Figure 8 (2000), From a Basement on the Hill (2004)

Sounds Like: Nick Drake, John Lennon

If You Like....: The Beatles, Radiohead, Nick Drake, The Shins, Modest Mouse or other similiar bands or musicians you will most likely enjoy Elliott Smith.

Reason Why I Like Him: Firsly I absolutely love his voice; it is fantastic. He is also a very good musician (his guitaring for Angeles is immense) and his lyrics are amongst the best that I have ever seen/heard.

About: Elliott Smith was an American singer/songwriter who used to be in Heatmiser; he was a huge Beatles fan. He made five albums before his death (From a Basement on the Hill was released a year after his death); the first three were lo-fi affairs with only a few songs having complete instrumentation. The best of these was his third, Either/Or (which many consider to be his best album). He was nomimnated for an Oscar for his song Miss Misery which was featured in the film Good Will Hunting; this song is not on any of his albums and only appears on the film soundtrack (he also had other songs featured in Good Will Hunting). His other prominant 'appearance' in film was singing the closing song to American Beauty (he sung Because by The Beatles).

After his first three albums he signed for Dreamworks and a year later he released XO which was a complete departure from his first three albums because it had a multitude of instruments and it was extremely polished in its presentation. After this he released Figure 8 - which is as slick as an oil spill - and then he quit Dreamworks and began working on more material. A year after his suicide (he stabbed himself in the chest twice) From a Basement on the Hill was released.

Recommended Songs: Firslty I'd just like to say that Elliott Smith has a large catalogue of music and I find all of it enjoyable and I actually love most of the songs but I'll just list my absolute favourites.

Roman Candle -

Condor Ave.
No Name #2
Last Call

Elliott Smith -

Needle in the Hay
Coming Up Roses
St.Ides Heaven
The Biggest Lie

Either/Or -

Alameda
Ballad of Big Nothing
Pictures of Me
Rose Parade
Angeles
2:45 AM
Say Yes

XO -

Waltz #2 (XO)
Baby Britain
Independence Day
Bled White
Bottle Up and Explode!
Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Figure 8 -

Son of Sam
Somebody That I Used to Know
Everything Reminds Me of Her
In the Lost and Found (Honky Bach)/The Roost
Happiness/The Gondola Man

From a Basement on the Hill -

Let's Get Lost
Pretty (Ugly Before)
Strung Out Again
A Fond Farewell
King's Crossing
Twilight
Shooting Star
Memory Lane
A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity to Be Free

Link(s): http://www.trashtreasury.com/
http://sweetadeline.net/

Band: The Go! Team

Genre: Funk

Album(s): Thunder, Lightning, Strike (2004)

Sounds Like: Nothing I've heard.....I really have no idea who I can compare these guys to.

If You Like....: The Avalanches

Reason Why I Like Them: I just love it for sheer aesthetic reasons. They sample just about everything (e.g. cheerleader chants) and mix it all up with their own playing to make....Something...

About: The Go! Team are an English, Brighton based six piece band (with two drummers) whose songs are a mixture of action theme songs, cheerleader chants, guitars and early hip-hop, with a hint of '70s funk. They place more emphasis on live instrumentation than some of their contemporaries, although they do base many of their songs around samples from various sources.

[Stolen from Wikipedia]

Reccomended Songs:

Thunder, Lightning, Strike -

Ladyflash
Feel Good by Numbers
The Power is On
Get it Together
Junior Kickstart
Bottle Rocket
Everyone's a V.I.P. to Someone

Link(s): http://www.thegoteam.co.uk/flash/GoKids.html

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Wolfmother
Genre: Indie/alternative rock/guitar rock/whatever
Album: Self titled. (2006)
Comments: An Aussie band, they just got back from touring the states, apparently they had already released a single that did ok, I didn't know about it because I don't listen to the radio anymore. They have a very 70's rock sound, with the high vocals and guitars, and are obviously influenced by Led Zepellin. They have some super catchy riffs, and I reccomend everybody check out "Woman".

PaintNinja

Smash Rookie
Band: Rammstein
Genre: Industrial Metal
Album: I don't care about albums or anything; I only listen to individual songs I like. So I have no idea how many albums these guys have. If you are so inclined to check out the songs I recommended, you can find those yourself.
Comments: Their style incorporates metal, industrial rock, and electronic music. Songs sung mostly in german(they are a german band after all), but some songs (Du Hast, Amerika, and a few others) translated into english. Known for extensive pyrotechnic displays in their live shows. I would recommend Feur Frei, Mann Gegen Mann, and Amerika.

KM-013

Smash Lord
Starálfur said:
Musician: Elliott Smith

Genre: Indie Rock

Album(s): Roman Candle (1994), Elliott Smith (1995), Either/Or (1997), XO (1998), Figure 8 (2000), From a Basement on the Hill (2004)

Sounds Like: Nick Drake, John Lennon

If You Like....: The Beatles, Radiohead, Nick Drake, The Shins, Modest Mouse or other similiar bands or musicians you will most likely enjoy Elliott Smith.

Reason Why I Like Him: Firsly I absolutely love his voice; it is fantastic. He is also a very good musician (his guitaring for Angeles is immense) and his lyrics are amongst the best that I have ever seen/heard.

About: Elliott Smith was an American singer/songwriter who used to be in Heatmiser; he was a huge Beatles fan. He made five albums before his death (From a Basement on the Hill was released a year after his death); the first three were lo-fi affairs with only a few songs having complete instrumentation. The best of these was his third, Either/Or (which many consider to be his best album). He was nomimnated for an Oscar for his song Miss Misery which was featured in the film Good Will Hunting; this song is not on any of his albums and only appears on the film soundtrack (he also had other songs featured in Good Will Hunting). His other prominant 'appearance' in film was singing the closing song to American Beauty (he sung Because by The Beatles).

After his first three albums he signed for Dreamworks and a year later he released XO which was a complete departure from his first three albums because it had a multitude of instruments and it was extremely polished in its presentation. After this he released Figure 8 - which is as slick as an oil spill - and then he quit Dreamworks and began working on more material. A year after his suicide (he stabbed himself in the chest twice) From a Basement on the Hill was released.

Recommended Songs: Firslty I'd just like to say that Elliott Smith has a large catalogue of music and I find all of it enjoyable and I actually love most of the songs but I'll just list my absolute favourites.

Roman Candle -

Condor Ave.
No Name #2
Last Call

Elliott Smith -

Needle in the Hay
Coming Up Roses
St.Ides Heaven
The Biggest Lie

Either/Or -

Alameda
Ballad of Big Nothing
Pictures of Me
Rose Parade
Angeles
2:45 AM
Say Yes

XO -

Waltz #2 (XO)
Baby Britain
Independence Day
Bled White
Bottle Up and Explode!
Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Figure 8 -

Son of Sam
Somebody That I Used to Know
Everything Reminds Me of Her
In the Lost and Found (Honky Bach)/The Roost
Happiness/The Gondola Man

From a Basement on the Hill -

Let's Get Lost
Pretty (Ugly Before)
Strung Out Again
A Fond Farewell
King's Crossing
Twilight
Shooting Star
Memory Lane
A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity to Be Free

Link(s): http://www.trashtreasury.com/
http://sweetadeline.net/

Band: The Go! Team

Genre: Funk

Album(s): Thunder, Lightning, Strike (2004)

Sounds Like: Nothing I've heard.....I really have no idea who I can compare these guys to.

If You Like....: The Avalanches

Reason Why I Like Them: I just love it for sheer aesthetic reasons. They sample just about everything (e.g. cheerleader chants) and mix it all up with their own playing to make....Something...

About: The Go! Team are an English, Brighton based six piece band (with two drummers) whose songs are a mixture of action theme songs, cheerleader chants, guitars and early hip-hop, with a hint of '70s funk. They place more emphasis on live instrumentation than some of their contemporaries, although they do base many of their songs around samples from various sources.

[Stolen from Wikipedia]

Reccomended Songs:

Thunder, Lightning, Strike -

Ladyflash
Feel Good by Numbers
The Power is On
Get it Together
Junior Kickstart
Bottle Rocket
Everyone's a V.I.P. to Someone

Link(s): http://www.thegoteam.co.uk/flash/GoKids.html

elliot smith, the go! team, and your handle is the name of my favorite sigur ros song?! you have impeccable taste, my friend.

Starálfur

Smash Apprentice
Haha. Thanks, KM-013. Hopefully I won't ruin that idea with this post.

=)

Musician: Sufjan Stevens

Genre: Folk

Album(s): A Sun Came (2000), Enjoy Your Rabbit (2001), Michigan (2003), Seven Swans (2004), Illinois (2005), The Avalanche (2006)

If You Like....: Danielson Famille, Rosie Thomas

Reason Why I Like Him: Basically its really good..........Gpo get some Sufjan!

About: Sufjan is a singer/songwriter from Detroit, Michigan. He plans on making an album for all fifty states in the U.S.; so far he's got two down. (Making 70 minute long albums may be whats stopping rapid progress through the states)...

Recommended Songs: Unfortunately the only album I've actually heard by Sufjan is (the absolutely immense) Illinois. So obviously I can only reccomend songs from that album.

Illinois -

Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
Come on! Feel the Illinoise!
John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Jacksonville
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!
Chicago
Casimir Pulaski Day
The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!

Link(s):

http://www.asthmatickitty.com/musicians.php?artistID=5

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=394728

http://www.sufjan.com/

(Sorry for the subpar links)

Band: Ted Leo & The Pharmacists

Genre: Indie Rock / Power Pop

Album(s): Tej Leo (?) Rx/Pharmacists (1999), The Tyranny of Distance (2001), Hearts of Oak (2003), Shake the Streets (2004)

If You Like....: Feeder, Fountains of Wayne

Reason Why I Like Them: Me and Mia is just pop perfection.

About: They're an American band with quite a bit of politics in their music.

Recommended Songs: Again I only know one of their albums, Shake the Streets, so thats why I'm only going to list songs from that album; I'm sure the others are good as well. ;)

Shake the Streets -

Me and Mia
The One Whot Got Us Out
Counting Down the Hours
Better Dead Than Lead
Shake the Sheets
Bleeding Powers

Link(s):

http://www.tedleo.com/

http://www.myspace.com/tedleo

Musician: Nick Drake

Genre: Acoustic Folk

Album(s): Five Leaves Left (1969), Bryter Layter (1970), Pink Moon (1972)

If You Like....: John Lennon, Elliott Smith, Willy Mason, really any singer/songwriter

Reason Why I Like Him: Good lyrics. Good voice. Good musician.

About: Nick Drake was a late 60s - early 70s singer/songwriter from England. He signed a three album deal with the records label Islands. He was very shy and rarely toured (if he would he would support other acts) and whilst he recorded albums he would sometimes play facing the wall. His last album, Pink Moon, was rcored in two two hour sessions starting at midnight with only the producer and Nick present. The album was entirely acoustic except for a small piano piece played by Nick on the opening track Pink Moon. Nick died of an overdose of anti-depressants; its not clear whether it was a suicide of an accident.

Reccomended Songs: I've only heard two of Nick Drake's albums, Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon.

Five Leaves Left -

Time Has Told Me
River Man
Three Hours
Day is Done
Fruit Tree

Pink Moon -

Pink Moon
Road
Which Will
Parasite
Harvest Breed
From the Morning

Link(s):

http://www.nickdrake.com/

http://www.myspace.com/nickdrake

LabotomyLab

Smash Rookie
im shocked i havent seen the gorillaz on here....>< anyways

Name: Deadpoetic
genre: Screamo
Notes: they are kind of underground at the moment but thats good....they sing some hardcore in a few of there songs and can be compared closely to Norma Jean and Hawthorne Heights mixed..

Name: Gorillaz
Genre: Alternative
Notes: im sure you all have heard "Feel Good Inc." and the infamous oldy "Clint Eastwood" . This band for some odd reason is very popular in Londan and most European countries...they have never been seen without a mask on and all their music videos are animated...

Name: Panic! at the Disco
Genre: Emo/Alternative
Notes: this band is farely new and sing mostly about break-ups and girlfriends/boyfriends. Very enlighted band with a kind of Ska taste...

Name: Flogging Molly
Genre: Celtic Rock
Notes: this band is one of my favorites if you like rock with a hint of Irish blood in it ..you'll love Flogging Molly....they sing about their childhoods and love.... like in the song " Cruel Mistress" and " Far Away Boys"...also they sing about their heritage..drinking, fighting, etc. like in the songs " Kiss my Irish ***" and " Seven Deadly Sins" . As a last note for this group they love talking about Pirates and a Pirates Life...

saberhof

Smash Master
Band: As i Lay Dying
Album: Frail Words Collapse
Type: Hardcore
Other notes: umm, what can i say. Theyre an Awsome band!! lol if you like HArdcore Screaming this would be a great Disc to get.

Band: The Black Dahlia Murder
Album: Miasma
Type: i dont know But its Like Metalcore dont remember.
the most speediest of Songs of this type, awsome Throwdowns, AWsome Riffs and solos. some Songs i realy like: Miscarriage, Dave goes to hollywood, Im charming.

Band: The Locust
Album: Plague Soundscapes
Type: Noise/Screaming dont knwo how to say it
one word...Crazy *** holes!, wait thats three!!. well this band is probably not taht well known but you might enjoy it if you like this type of music, or just for having crazy fun and Hardcore dancin, ps: Drumer is the Craziest of them all!!...

Band: Mastodon
Album: Remmision or Leviathan (2 albums)
Type: Metal
One of my 2 favorite bands(High on Fire(HoF) and MAstodon) just listen theyre teh ****!. lol

Band: Norma Jean
Album: Bless The Martry, Kiss the Child
Type: Scremo
dont know what to say about them probably one of the best known bands of this type of music.

thats all i got now, Rock on!.

RainOfDarkness

Smash Journeyman
i reallllllly hope they were mentioned before me but i refuse to read 20 pages on replies.. chill. but.

Band Name: SEVENDUST
album: hmm i like all but i guess listen to Animosity, Home, or Seasons those would get you hooked.
genre: metal

name: Nonpoint
album: to the pain, recoil, statement
genre: metal

- these are my favorite bands. for many reasons. i relate to alot of whats being said and the feel of the music fits every emotion i go through. AND they have 2 awesome bass players that i really look up to when playing my bass. and it helps that i met both bands and have gotten alot of love from jus being a hardcore fan. i recommend them to anyone and everyone check em out.

Drake_Miriel

Smash Cadet
Name: DragonForce
Genre: Melodic speed/power metal
Notes: Where to begin? Their guitar is centered around breathtaking double-shred solos, the drumming is as frenzied as you can get outside death/black metal, and even the keyboard is frantic. Then the vocals. ZP Theart's exquisite vocals can arguably outdo the legendary Kai Hansen. They focus on a very fantasy-type lyrical theme, and their songs often pump you up. After an hour or two, I'm ready to ride into battle on a silver steed. A great listen, even for people who aren't metalheads.

Name: Cradle of Filth
Genre: Symphonic black/goth metal
Notes: Back in the 90's, they were unbridled black metal in the essence of Bäthory. However, they've developed a more refined sound. A symphony, combined with higher production quality have refined their overall greatness. There isn't much notability with the instruments, but Dani Filth's vocals are amazing, and their lyrics read like one long gothy poem.

Name: Sonata Arctica
Genre: Melodic power metal
Notes: These guys are a mixture between Nightwish and older Blind Guardian material. They capture the overall essence of NW and integrate it with BG's speed to produce something amazing. The singer does have an accent, but it enhances the vocals greatly.

Name: Venom
Genre: Trash metal
Notes: These guys were the foundation for death and black metal. Their relentless, non-stop metal attacks formed the extreme metal genres, and are heavier than trash legends like Megadeth and Anthrax. Their vocals are death metal-like, and their lyrics are as satanic as the old-school black metal bands. Any of their songs induce enough headbanging to make people pass out.

Name: Yngwie Malmsteen
Genre: Neoclassical metal
Notes: Hands down, the greatest guitarist of all time. His work is mostly solo work, and there's no vocals, a wise choice because such hands shouldn't be hidden behind vocals. His awesome shredding can make any guitar style amazing, as shown in his very out-of-genre Flamenco Diablo, which was a very Spanish-oriented classic guitar piece. He does have a few songs with vocals, including several covers he did with Ronnie James Dio.

Blastdude

Smash Cadet
Name : Sepultura
Genre: Thrash Metal (early) Groove Metal (later)
Recommended Albums: Beneath the Remains, Chaos A.d., Dante XXI
Notes: Their orginal singer was Max Cavalera, then he replaced by Derrick Green

Name : Soulfly
Genre: Alt Metal
Recommended Albums: Self-Titled, Prophecy, Dark Ages
Notes : Max Cavalera's "newer" band, they do a **** load of collabs.

Name: White Zombie
Genre: Alt/Industrial/Groove Metal
Recommended Albums: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol.1, Astro-Creep: 2000
Notes: While usually only known for "Thunder Kiss 65" and "More Human than Human", they have some other really awesome songs on the aforementioned albums.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Wow, does anyone listen to ska?

Name: Inspecter 7
Genre: Two Tone
Notes: ...The Infamous is IMO better than Banished to Bogeyland. May not be for everyone because of its old, unfamiliar sound compared to today's music.

Name: Streetlight Manifesto
Genre: Ska
Notes: Very good ska band. Pretty popular in the ska genre too. Only released 2 albums though, one is a remake... So far I recommend Everything Goes Numb. Dont listen to the new CD, instead listen to...

Name: Catch22
Genre: Ska
Notes: Catch 22's Keasbey Nights is by far their best album. Post Keasbey is alright, but the sound of their music deteriorates after each new released album, which sucks...

soulman101

Smash Cadet
artist/band: Tower of Power
Genre: Soul and Funk
recommended albums: Tower of Power, T.O.P.
recommended songs: This Time it's Real, I Like Your Style, and What is Hip?

Notes: An amazing soul band from oakland with an amazing horn section and catchy tunes. If you like R&B , or jazz or any other type of music give these guys a try.

shinehex

Smash Lord
Long Island, New York (If you want to smash contac
Band: Cradle of Filth
Genre: Hard to determine but I would say black metal
Recommended Album: Nymphetamine
Recommended Songs: Medusa and Hemlock, Filthy Little Secret, Gilded ****, Mother of Abomination.
Notes: This band has been giving a almost complete make over. I say that this album is on of their best.

llzred

Smash Rookie
Band/Artist: Lagwagon
Genre: Punk/Indie
Other notes: They are most famous for their song "May 16", but still not many people know the band. They have a pretty good sound, you know, that feel good punk sound.

Band/Artist: Dredg
Genre: Altern. Rock/Modern Rock
Other notes: The band is mostly an up tempo Alternative band. They have some pretty good songs, including "Ode to the Sun", which is suprisingly used in a lt of anime, and "Bug Eyes".

Band/Artist: Strata
Genre: Alternitive/Indie
Other notes: This band has one of my all time favorite lead vocals, and author, Eric Victorino. They have their own indivisual sound, and you'll probably recognize a couple of their songs from The Punisher and Elektra.

4% APR

Smash Champion
Awesome, I see some ska up here

Name: Mustard Plug
Genre: Ska/punk
notes: a great ska band, most of their songs have a catchy happy feel to them. best song is probably the Beer (song)

Name: Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Genre: Ska/punk
notes: another good ska band. their song" the inpressions that I get" was their most popular

Name: Descendents
Genre: Punk
Notes: an older punk band, best songs are "nothing with you" and "When I get old"

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ok..im not sure how popular this band is..but i know their song "breathe" has been used in a couple of movies....

name: prodigy
genre: electronica/drum &bass/ industrial
notes: very different from stuff you would hear on the radio...i love their distinctive style....
recommended songs: spitfire, breathe, firestarter, rhythm of life, you'll be under my wheels, out of space (techno underworld remix)

if this has been mentioned then im srry but i didnt wanna look through 21 pages.....peace

-hiroshi

Aiser

Smash Lord
Band System of a down
Genre EMO music Emotional ex coldplay
Famous Albums Toxicity (most famous)
Comments many songs that are emotional some popular songs: Chop Suey, Toxicity (all on the album toxcitiy voted best album of 002001 a fun band has for people words are somewhat hard to understand
Old post but LOL wtf? if soad is emo then ****, I should start stealing my sisters pants now, hit my parents too!

Not sure if this was recomended but yeah gonna recomend them anyway lol.
name: Flyleaf
genre: not good at catgorising genre but rock/indie? not sure =x
notes: If you hate hearing to a female scream and hate emotional lyrics then they're not for you.
recommended songs: Cassie, I'm so sick.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Band:Soundgarden
Genre:Grunge
Defining Album:Superunknown
Description:This band existed from 1984 to 1997, with their work in the nineties being the most recognizable. Fronted by Chris Cornell, who is, perhaps, the best rock vocalist to have ever lived. His wide vocal range, coupled with the incredibly talented musicians surrounding him, make up this Seattle quartet's signature sound. Their biggest hit was 1994's "Black Hole Sun". I like this band a whole lot. They display a very wide array of styles, but to be frank, they are perfectly described as a mix between the crushing riffs and dark lyrical content of Black Sabbath, and the wailing vocals and frenetic guitar of Led Zeppelin. At one point in their 1994 album, Superunknown, they display a distinct resemblance in sound to The Beatles.

They are really really great.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Band: The Haunted
Genre: Thrash Metal
Description: Hailing from Sweden these guys have a good idea of how to thrash the hell out of music. Sometimes toted as Death Metal. Have had various line up changes, well by that I mean Dolving (vocals) left after the first album (I dont know why), Aros(?) came in for two albums, and then Dolving returned. Lineup includes the Bjorler brothers (Ex- At The Gates) even though i don't like At The Gates (subject to change, I've only heard Suicide Nation and can't get into it).

"Kickin *** for the sheer hell of it since june 1996. Loud and proud we bow down to noone. We love our music, we love our fans and love the rock. We tour hard, and live easy. It's all about letting go and getting up to face the day. **** life's obstacles and hardship, nothing can stop us unless we let it. Cause in the end it ain't about suffering, it's about accepting complexity and having a good time and rocking out, whatever gets you to where you're going. Rich or poor, strong or weak we all die after all and in death there are no exceptions. Death offers peace to live life and enjoy. Anything else is just kinda lame and a waste of precious time. Peace ****ers, see you on tour..." - www.myspace.com/thehaunted
Recommended Songs: 99, The World Burns, Bury Your Dead, Dark Intentions, Everlasting, The Medication and All Against All.

Band: Soilwork
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Description: Another Swedish band, but who's complaining? The vocals aren't super deep so you don't like the entire harsh thing these guys are still an option. Apart from that I don't have too much else to say so ill just copy and paste some stuff from the wiki page:

"Soilwork is a Swedish melodic death metal band formed in late 1995, originally under the name of Inferior Breed. In 1996, they changed their name to Soilwork, to better fit their new sound. Their unique sound is a fusion of the classic Gothenburg metal sound with power-groove riffs of late 1970s, early 1980s British and European metal. Their more recent work has more singing and lighter melodies than their earlier work, as well as a more polished production that brings out the strength of the drums."

"
  • Actor and singer, Will Smith is reportedly a huge fan of Soilwork.
  • Their video for Rejection Role is a reverse of In Flames' video for Trigger. Both of which are filmed in the same location, and includes the performing band being heckled by the other. The two bands at one point in both videos confront eachother for a fight on a set of steps. While the fight itself is not shown, the winner of the fight is assumed to be the performing band in each video. This is shown by one member of the other band having a black eye afterwards."

Recommended Songs: Overload, Follow the Hollow, Figure Number Five, Distortion Sleep and Natural Born Chaos.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Band - Juke Katel.
Genre - Rock. (they have a variety in all their songs one reason i like them)
origin - melboune Australia
Description - They are a very new band. They have not been around for that long. They are headed by Toby Rand. Who was recently came 3rd in the rockstar supernova comp. They did not form after the success of toby. They were a Un signed band. They have very good Gutair rifts in their songs. For those of you who checked out the thread i made about them them you already know toby has the voice. They are not EMO is you think of a new bands. They do not have the look of Green day and those bad bands. They look normal. no eye liner or makeup. They are normal.

Recommended Songs: Firesign, My baby, throw it away, money love, save me.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
normal is boring. i like bands where the members wear tight pants and cut themselves onstage.

no, i'm kidding. self mutilation is a serious topic that shouldn't be made light of ever, no matter what the circumstances.

also, anybody here like the band deerhoof? they're a pretty cool band from san francisco that's growing in popularity in the indie scene. they do kind of like this crazy perversion and deconstruction of pop music. it takes a while to get into, but i'm liking them. so far, the album of theirs i like the most is "reveille." i haven't heard any of their really early stuff yet, though, and apparently the japanese female vocalist screams in some their early songs, and i do so love screaming in my music.

tv on the radio is a popular band i've been getting into more as of late. when i first listened to them, i wasn't too impressed. maybe because the source that i heard about them from blew them up to be like the most amazing indie band since june of 44. so now that i've given them a second chance, they're growing on me. they do some pretty cool a capella stuff and what not. the stuff they released on touch and go records is pretty awesome. i think they signed to a more major label, unfortunately, for their more recent stuff though.

but yeah, that's about it for me recently. it's hard for me to find indie music that i like anymore. tapes 'n tapes is okay i guess, but man, they're all anybody talks about anymore. and their vocals are just too **** overproduced for my taste. math rock is dead with the exception of shellac and the shipping news, and it makes me cry.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Wow finally done...

O.K I read from page one to here and I downloaded about 67 of the songs named...

1st off - some of yall know yall wrong for recomending some of the crap ya'll listen to, to other people...dont play the different people have different taste card cause I listen to ALL music, and have a selection of pretty much all types, from techno to country....rock to rap.

2nd, out of all the bands named I couldn't belive no one named king obvious " Linkin Park"

3rd - props to the peeps who said:
Thursday - Standing on the edge of summmer...pretty nice song
The Used - Blue and Yellow...also a good song
Dredg - Ode to the sun....real nice
DJ Encore - Walking in the sky....YES!
My Chemical Romance - PEOPLE! I KID YOU NOT! THE ENTIRE CD! IS GOLD! "Three Cheers for sweet Revenge"

4th - to the guy who said "Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight, Goodnight"...somone should shoot you were you stand that was THE worst/stupid song of all time.

My Recomandations:

Band: Angels And Airwaves... buy the CD
Band: My Chemical Romance... buy the CD!

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I second the recommendation of Angels and Airwaves!!!
Also try out "At the Drive-In" and "The Mars Volta"

=[]
I'm not crazy about ATDI or Sparta, but TMV is pretty freakin' cool.

Jimi Hendrix
Rock/Blues
No joke folks, this guy is the best. I strongly recommend "Electric Ladyland" as a whole; there are so many strong songs on that album. "Are You Experienced?" is a classic as well. His solos are incredibly complex when viewed through music theory. His guitar flutters and sings, while he maintains his cool; serenading the listener all the while. Really, the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom